Love Gone as Well

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Love Gone as Well

Per rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6069/kyle-love).  Apparently got diagnosed with diabetes and lost a lot of weight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: Love Gone as Well

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Per rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6069/kyle-love).  Apparently got diagnosed with diabetes and lost a lot of weight.

Agent: DL Love told he'll be released May, 15, 2013 May 15 4:52 PM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com The Patriots have made a surprising roster decision Wednesday, informing starting defensive tackle Kyle Love that he is being released with a non-football injury designation.

Love was recently diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes, according to his agent, Richard Kopelman of KLASS Sports.

“We have been informed by the New England Patriots that Kyle Love will be released NFI (Non-Football Injury/Illness),” Kopelman told ESPNBoston.com. “This comes on the heels of Kyle having been diagnosed within the past two weeks with Type-2 diabetes. Naturally, we are disappointed that the Patriots decided to part ways with Kyle, especially in light of the fact that a number of elite professional athletes with diabetes – both Type-1, which is known to be far more difficult to manage than Type-2 diabetes – have had very successful careers in professional football, hockey, baseball and basketball.

“Prior to the diagnosis, Kyle recently experienced unexplained weight loss, but since being diagnosed and having altered his diet, Kyle has regained most of the weight he lost, is in good health, and was not limited in any way during offseason workouts in which he was engaged up until being told he would be released.

“Having consulted with leading authorities on the effects of Type-2 diabetes, we have every reason to believe that Kyle will, in the immediate future, be at 100 percent, and will be prepared to participate in training camp in a couple of months. As Kyle said, 'there is no way something like this is going to stand between me and a long and successful NFL career.'”

Love started 11 games last season next to Vince Wilfork at defensive tackle in the team’s 4-3 alignment, playing 49 percent of the team’s defensive snaps. Toward the end of the season, Love split time as a starter with Brandon Deaderick, and Deaderick was released on Monday. Love enters his fourth NFL season in 2013.

Outside of Wilfork, the Patriots have almost completely turned over their personnel at defensive tackle, with free-agent signing Tommy Kelly and Canadian Football League import Armond Armstead the notable newcomers.

The 6-foot-1, 315-pound Love, who made the club as a rookie free agent in 2010, had been rewarded last year with a two-year contract extension that included a $500,000 signing bonus.

He played in 41 regular-season games over the last three seasons, with 25 starts, and was credited with 36 tackles and 5.5 sacks. His primary role was to occupy blockers so linebackers behind him could make plays, which he did as a 3-4 nose tackle and 4-3 defensive tackle. Love would often come off the field in passing situations.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Isn't type two often caused by obesity?  I mean Love might be in "football shape", but I am pretty sure most interior defensive lineman are obese.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

There are any number of udfa's that we picked up that can fill his shoes, and maybe even better...forston, cherrington, velano, Grissom...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Must really like what they see from Armstead and Grissom, and I'd imagine that they're confident in Tommy Kelly and his ability to perform.

I feel bad for Love, but this gives me confidence in our interior linemen who we acquired this offseason.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think we could see some additional turnover on the dline. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cunningham released sometime in the near future. He seemed to carve out an interior DT position on the 4 man line, but a kid I am really high on who I think will be an upgrade here is Joe vellano. We upgraded at end / olb with Buchanan and Collins. Vellano is an upgrade as an interior DT rusher over Cunningham...via udfa, fa and a 7th round pick, we upgraded I believe our DT spot..Grissom>Love, vellano/Buchanan>Cunningham, armstead>deaderick. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to jfaust1954's comment:

Yes...obesity is the primary culprit...had to loose MUCHO weight..once gone, so was type 2....it's why I exercise so much every day now...my diet is totally changed...once you hear you'll die it's pretty easy to change, trust me...so will he...or he'll die young....to get rid of it takes work...it never really "goes away", but you keep it under control with application....you usually don't ever need meds as long as you get your weight down and watch what you eat...for a young dude with $$$, the temptation is often very great to enjoy life way too much.

The prevailing thought is that excess weight (as in obesity) puts extra demand on the pancreas to make MORE insulin (which inables the body's utilization of glucose). As weight increases so does the requirement for more insulin production. Eventually the pancrease exhausts itself and is unable to produce enough insulin to utilize/store available glucose. In similar fashion  the insulin made by the pancreas may not be recognized by cell receptors  and becomes refractory to its utilization.

Many type two diabetics can improve cell recognition/utilization of host insulin with use of hypoglycemic agents...as well as diet, exercise etc. as has been mentioned. However, many type two diabetics will eventually need insulin and  convert to type ! diabetes.

The fact that Love lost weight may be an indicator that he will eventually become a type 1 diabetic where maintaining his current weight may be problematic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

better than even odds, that BB will draft a DT with the first pick in the next draft.  Should be plenty of great talent available since so many teams filled that need this year.  Maybe that was his strategy all along.  

TEs - 2010 draft - check

RBs - 2011 draft - check 

DEs and LBs - 2012 draft - check

WR and DBs - 2013 draft - check

DT / OL - 2014 draft

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

While I am surprised to see him go I don't believe it means they "like what they see with others".   It doesn't necessarily follow.  They may just feel that Love does not fit into future plans and they are ready to take the risk that comes with moving on without him.

All too often fans have made the leap that a release on the one hand means someone else on the roster is really impressing the staff.   I don't buy it.  They haven't played a single preseason game yet.   Time will tell.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

While I am surprised to see him go I don't believe it means they "like what they see with others".   It doesn't necessarily follow.  They may just feel that Love does not fit into future plans and they are ready to take the risk that comes with moving on without him.

All too often fans have made the leap that a release on the one hand means someone else on the roster is really impressing the staff.   I don't buy it.  They haven't played a single preseason game yet.   Time will tell.

While BB may not feel that he has a more promising substitute he would certainly not leave the cupboard bare. He must at least feel that he has a body to temporarily man the position. In Love's case, BB has the medical issue to consider and the realization that Love is at his ceiling which doesn't fit BB's idea of a revamped and improved DL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

wow! I am blown away by this news! didn't expect it with the release of deadrick, thought for sure BB would keep one of the 2 previous starting DTs other than wilfork.  I am excited to get to see extensive playing time for kelly and Armstead

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

better than even odds, that BB will draft a DT with the first pick in the next draft.  Should be plenty of great talent available since so many teams filled that need this year.  Maybe that was his strategy all along.  

TEs - 2010 draft - check

RBs - 2011 draft - check 

DT / OL - 2014 draft

One in of the best posts I've seen in months.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

While BB may not feel that he has a more promising substitute he would certainly not leave the cupboard bare. He must at least feel that he has a body to temporarily man the position. In Love's case, BB has the medical issue to consider and the realization that Love is at his ceiling which doesn't fit BB's idea of a revamped and improved DL.

I do and don't agree with this. With Deadrick it appears to be an attitude issue and BB would rather grab a kid off the street then deal with abad attitude. With Love it could be a health issue and as we've seen in the past BB would again rather pull someone off the street then to risk someones life, maybe body parts but not life. In both cases appears nothing the do with performance on the field (other then they gave JAG type of production and could be replaced). Now someone like Cunningham would be more of a surprised if he was released this early. He's given similar production as Love and Dearick but without the attitude issue or medical issue. So to me he's an example of someone they will keep for competition but is on the bubble to be released (with new additions to the team) verses Love and Deadrick who might have been on the bubble to begin with and when the medical and attitude problems happened the bubble burst regardless of who was behind them on the roster. I do expect to see another vet brought in for competition at this point as I can't see them going into the season with Kelley and Wilfork being the only DT's who have played a full season under their belt (Forston never played a full season)

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

TEs - 2010 draft - check

RBs - 2011 draft - check 

DT / OL - 2014 draft

Except DBs should be on that list for every year.

2010-McCourty

2011-Ras I

2012-Tavon

What's the DT crop like next season? I doubt BB's strategy was to pass on DT in a DT deep draft because you could get late first/second round talent in the third rounds...that's value.

I don't think he waited as much as WR and DB presented a bigger need

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I think we could see some additional turnover on the dline. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cunningham released sometime in the near future. He seemed to carve out an interior DT position on the 4 man line, but a kid I am really high on who I think will be an upgrade here is Joe vellano. We upgraded at end / olb with Buchanan and Collins. Vellano is an upgrade as an interior DT rusher over Cunningham...via udfa, fa and a 7th round pick, we upgraded I believe our DT spot..Grissom>Love, vellano/Buchanan>Cunningham, armstead>deaderick. 

the sooner the better with cunn

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Type two diabetes is caused by eating too much sugarary foods. Obesity has nothing to do with the disease. I have it and have never been even close to fat. Poor diet and too many HoHo's. It almost killed me before being diagnosed with this dibilitating disease. I hope Kyle will be able too return to play in the NFL. I personally have had two setbacks,once I lost my sight and another time my Kidneys  went on a tangent. In either case I was able to squeeze two years in with no complications.