Love Gone as Well

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Love Gone as Well

I just find it humorous that we are discussing the free agents and future draft picks to play on our defensive line for next off season...we have 8 million to spend right now...shouldn't we have concentrated on it THIS off season?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I just find it humerus that we are discussing the free agents and future draft picks to play on our defensive line for next off season...we have 8 million to spend right now...shouldn't we have concentrated on it THIS off season?

I was thinking they would. I suppose Kelly and Armstead are hopefully good examples of that. But as others have said, looks like we are expecting to grab 1-3 DTs before the season. It might depend on who gets released by other teams and when.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yeah, they can't go into the season with what they have. Truthfully I thought Love was nothing more than an average player, but losing both Deaderick and him within a week leaves us thin and inexperienced. Good thing we don't play the games in May.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Inexperienced yes, thin no in terms of numbers and weight.  Wilfork and Kelly are here for sure.  Armstead proved himself in Canada so he'll get that third spot . . .  this means they need two more DL for the 53 man roster from Cherrington, Francis, Forston, Grissom and Vallano . . . so if I were a betting man then I'd say they do bring in a vet for the fourth spot and one of these is the fifth and one more goes on the practice squad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Type two diabetes is caused by eating too much sugarary foods. Obesity has nothing to do with the disease. I have it and have never been even close to fat. Poor diet and too many HoHo's. It almost killed me before being diagnosed with this dibilitating disease. I hope Kyle will be able too return to play in the NFL. I personally have had two setbacks,once I lost my sight and another time my Kidneys  went on a tangent. In either case I was able to squeeze two years in with no complications.

Recall that diabetes can be caused by obesity resulting in exhaustion of insulin production AS WELL AS receptor cells becoming refractory to host insulin. Are you saying that you remained a type 2 diabetic despite kidney and eyesight problems? In the latter type of diabetes host insulin fails to assist with glucose entry into target cells (or conversely, receptor cells become refractory to host insulin). In this case obesity is not a component but treatment does involve insulin injections which by definition is type 1 diabetes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Welcome back Richard Seymour.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TrustBill's comment:

Welcome back Richard Seymour.

NAH

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This Post has been Removed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Type two diabetes is caused by eating too much sugarary foods. Obesity has nothing to do with the disease. I have it and have never been even close to fat. Poor diet and too many HoHo's. It almost killed me before being diagnosed with this dibilitating disease. I hope Kyle will be able too return to play in the NFL. I personally have had two setbacks,once I lost my sight and another time my Kidneys  went on a tangent. In either case I was able to squeeze two years in with no complications.

Recall that diabetes can be caused by obesity resulting in exhaustion of insulin production AS WELL AS receptor cells becoming refractory to host insulin. Are you saying that you remained a type 2 diabetic despite kidney and eyesight problems? In the latter type of diabetes host insulin fails to assist with glucose entry into target cells (or conversely, receptor cells become refractory to host insulin). In this case obesity is not a component but treatment does involve insulin injections which by definition is type 1 diabetes.

Well I must be a freak of nature because I corrected my diet, and suffered two setbacks.and I'm still only a Type II diabetic. I take 1000 MG's of Metformin daily and I take 500 MG's of Glyburide daily. I'm not an Insulin user nor have any of 4 doctors I've had since 2008 ever even suggested that I would ever need Insulin as a drug to control my disease. The setbacks were considered onset diabetes attacks and Blindness and Kidney failures are common onset problems. Thanks though for your diagnosis. The Holiday Inn will be glad to know you stayed there.LOL I also have Hepititis C so please don't lecture me on that disease.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Can't say I feel great about the DT position right now.  Sure, Kelly very likely will be better than either Love or Deaderick and Armstead has some potential.  But this was a position most of us felt needed more depth and quality and wanted to see addressed in the draft.  While Love and Deaderick may not have been great quality for starters, they provided decent depth.  With those two gone, that position is a lot more iffy feeling than it was  a week ago. Wilfork took an awful lot of snaps last year.  Will the same happen again?  Or will BB bring more tackles in or, alternatively, alter the scheme to use fewer big DTs and use some of those lighter linemen in the middle?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In the coming weeks I'm thinking that there will more than one or two FA DL-men available after teams begin to make their cuts.  I was a little surprised to read about Love but, given the circumstances, not sure that the Pats had a whole lot of choice. 

I seem to recall many on this board calling for wholesale changes after the loss in the AFCCG and wholesale changes we seem to have.  I also seem to recall reading recently that the Pats are now significantly younger on both sides of the ball.  Age 25 + or - if I recall correctly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The truth of the matter is that no one, Pats included knows what Armstead will give them. I have heard many say he is going to be a sub DE, not DT. I have also heard rumblings he struggles to keep weight on and will play at 280-285. 

Francis as well, is an unknown IMO based on his limited play last year. Ditto any udfa mentioned. 

I am sure there were valid reasons for Deadrick and Lovie to be let go in BB's mind. But lets not denigrate the play of both players last year. A 7th round draft choice and an udfa developed into major contributors on a AFCCCG team. 

Not knowing the details, nor the plans as we go forward, I still say this team should have drafted DT in round 1. Could this defense and ultimately team go as Vince goes? At his age, will we see drop off? Ditto Kelly. Kelly has played very well in the past. Age is always a red flag however. And reports on Kelly is he has some quit in him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I felt a lot better about their DL depth two days ago before Deaderick and Love were released.  I think it's too early to know whether any of these young guys can adequately fill in.  I am sure with cuts BB will get some bodies in here.  I can't imagine he hasn't thought this through. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Just so we're all on the same page, Love wasn't cut because he has diabetes, Cannon had cancer which is more fatal and less manageable so I'm sure they weren't concerned about his blood sugar.  He and Deaderick were utterly underwhelming, neither was a starting defensive tackle in today's NFL.  

They were a stop gap measure until some actual talent could be found and out of the the UDFA's we signed (Grissom, Cherrington, Vellano) at least two will be able to give us what Love and Deaderick did, which was not much beyond taking on a single blocker.  

Also everybody is knocking down the signing of Armstead, telling us he is another Love/Deaderick... I don't think so.  He was the first player signed in the off season, only days after our season ended, he is physically gifted in ways that the other two are not, he was the prize of the Canadien league which, say what you want about it, but every year it supplies the NFL with one or more stars.

Let me go on record as saying that if the Patriots play the four man nickel package as a base defense that Wilfork and Kelly will start, but if they run the three man front (3/4) Armstead will be starting at the end position opposite Kelly.  This is also assuming they don't bring in another high profile free agent (Seymour?) which, if they like the UDFA's they don't necessarily have to, there are only so many DT's you can carry on your roster as they don't contribute much on special teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Just so we're all on the same page, Love wasn't cut because he has diabetes, Cannon had cancer which is more fatal and less manageable so I'm sure they weren't concerned about his blood sugar.

I disagree with this.  The primary cause for type II diabetes is obesity.  You can say all you want about "football shape", but other athletes with type II didn't have to be obese as part of their job.  Sure if Love was an all-pro he might have had some more leash to work through it, but to say it had nothing to do with the decision is wrong imo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots’ decision to cut Love looks like disability discrimination  

Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT KyleLoveGetty Images

The ruthless nature of football decision-making has resulted in plenty of fans and reporters becoming desensitized to the human element of these moves.  And that causes us all, in some situations, to miss potential violations of human rights.

For former Patriots defensive tackle Kyle Love, the facts as communicated by his agent to the media (and not yet refuted by the Patriots) point to the conclusion that the team cut Love because Love has Type-2 diabetes.  And that points to a potential violation of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act and any Massachusetts laws covering a persons rights when it comes to certain physical and medical conditions.

The labor deal omits actual or perceived disability as a ground on which discrimination is prohibited by Article 49 of the document.  That decision likely was aimed at preventing players from arguing that the cruel-but-inevitable decision to strip a roster spot from an older, damaged player and give it to a younger guy resulted from physical conditions that the team should have found a way to reasonably accommodate.

Still, rights not covered by a labor deal typically exist beyond the four corners of a Collective Bargaining Agreement, allowing the employee to file suit.  While suing the Patriots could make it harder for Love to continue his NFL elsewhere, a decision to lump it doesn’t mean the Patriots properly respected his legal rights.

Unless there’s more to the story (and there could be), it appears that the Patriots preferred not having to deal with a diabetic player, presuming he could miss practice time or game time or who could have a hard time keeping his weight at the right level or otherwise create issues or distractions a healthy player doesn’t.  If there is more to the story — if, for example, Love has been teetering on the brink of Type-2 diabetes and the team had been working with him to improve his diet and he nevertheless failed to comply with efforts to keep him from acquiring the disease — the Patriots need to make that known.  (Though that wouldn’t necessarily make the move legal and proper, it would make the team’s swift reaction to the diagnosis more understandable.)

Absent an explanation, a head coach whom many believe to be heartless will appear that way.  Even worse, it will reinforce the perception that Bill Belichick does whatever he wants, daring those whose rights may have been violated to do something about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect. Show mosseffect's posts

all we need is a big body to fill in,someone like big casey hampton

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I disagree with this.  The primary cause for type II diabetes is obesity.  You can say all you want about "football shape", but other athletes with type II didn't have to be obese as part of their job.  Sure if Love was an all-pro he might have had some more leash to work through it, but to say it had nothing to do with the decision is wrong imo. 

Big Vince has been on a healthy diet for years now, he came into the league weighing 345 and has become leaner and healthier.  The idea that an NFL actually wants a player to pack on pounds of blubber to play is ludicrous.  They want muscle mass added, strength added.  Love was cut because he wasn't that good.  He got replaced last season by Deaderick and then it was a revolving door between the two over who would get the reps, neither was very good and both had contract years coming up.  Why was Deaderick cut a day ago, bad breath, gum disease?  This is dumb, Love will get picked up by another team in less than a week.  I understand that diabetes or any disease can strike a personal chord with posters but this was a football related decision.  are we really going to argue that Love was a great player? He was an undrafted player who has 5 sacks for his career and can't hold up against two blockers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Big Vince has been on a healthy diet for years now, he came into the league weighing 345 and has become leaner and healthier.  The idea that an NFL actually wants a player to pack on pounds of blubber to play is ludicrous.  They want muscle mass added, strength added.  Love was cut because he wasn't that good.  He got replaced last season by Deaderick and then it was a revolving door between the two over who would get the reps, neither was very good and both had contract years coming up.  Why was Deaderick cut a day ago, bad breath, gum disease?  This is dumb, Love will get picked up by another team in less than a week.  I understand that diabetes or any disease can strike a personal chord with posters but this was a football related decision.  are we really going to argue that Love was a great player? He was an undrafted player who has 5 sacks for his career and can't hold up against two blockers.

I think your related to Thomas Paine, who wrote the book Common Sense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I think your related to Thomas Paine, who wrote the book Common Sense.

People should probably learn more about the atheist founding father, common sense is sorely lacking nowadays.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Exactly.  I don't know why it is so hard to understand that Love wasn't cut because he was diagnosed with diabetes,  but because there are better options available to fill his position.  I liked him while he was here, but the reality is that he was an average player, at best.  Good luck to him, especially with his health.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

First of all Deaderick played over Love because Love was injured.  He had a bad knee all year.  I am not saying that Love was some great player, but your argument about Wilfork and muscle mass is a non-sequitur.  If Love's weight is what is causing his condition then it is ridiculous for him to stay at that weight.  Why would you want to keep a guy whose playing weight is causing health problems?  Wilfork might be as strong as an ox, but he is most certainly not all muscle.  None of these guys are.  I'm not saying the Patriots are in the wrong for cutting him.  I'm also not saying that he was a roster lock, but I can't believe that his diagnosis had no impact on the decision to let him go this early in the process.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Can we be taking about a shift back to heavier use of the 3-4 defense? I mean we now have 4- 1st-2nd rd drafted line backers, and another proven starter in Nink. I would think we would want to get the most talented positional group on the field at the same time.

Kelly       Wilfork       Jones(/armstead/SeymourI hope)

Hightower    Spikes        Mayo     Nink/Collins

Talib         DMC               A-Wilson                Dennard

Keep the incredible hulk behind Jones and Nink to support the run as they would be considered the weak end of the line. I don't see very many holes in this set.