Luck Vs. Griffin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Luck Vs. Griffin

I know this has nothing to do with the Pats, but I wanted to know your thoughts on the topic.

Is Luck considered a better QB prospect to RGIII because of race. Now I for one hate when people, Jemelle Hill especially, make race an issue for everything... but I do partially believe that race does play a role in this instance.

From what I've heared, RGIII has a bigger arm, is more accurate, faster, and has better pocket presense. Luck is no slouch, but from those reports, how is RGIII not considered the top pick?

Arguments I've heard are: 
    Potential injury concerns, cause Griffin likes to run. I havent watched a lot of tape on him, but from what I hear, he's a pass first QB, run second, ala Aaron Rodgers

Luck played in a prostyle offense and should acclimate better to the NFL...Jimmy Clausen and Matt Ryan played in Prostyle offenses and one is terrible, and the other is a decent QB. From what people say about RGIII, he's very intelligent and should be able to adapt to a prostyle offense

Luck is the safer pick...Now this is the argument I've had the most trouble with. 1. No pick is safe...I remember Aaron Curry was the safest pick in the 09 draft...look how he turned out. Plenty of "safe picks flamed out"

2. There's also a perception that RGIII was a one hit wonder...Looking at his stats, it looks like hes been productive his whole career.

I think both will be great QBs...but from what the scouts have been saying, RGIII is better right now and has a higher ceiling...why not him first?

Sorry if this annoys fans that this isnt a Pats related post

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Luck Vs. Griffin

The annoyance isnt that it isnt a pats topic, just the inaccuracy of the statements.  Luck's pocket presense, quick release, accuracy, ability to read a D, all in a Pro style O against good Ds is why he is considered so good.  RG3 is nice on paper.  Is more athletic, with a bigger arm, but isnt close to Luck.  RG3 might have a better 1st and even 2nd year.  Washington has more around him.  But long term, Luck is way better IMHO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

I think it comes down to scheme and supporting cast, Luck is the sterotypical pocket passer, think Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. RGIII can make more out of nothing with his feet, but he does have a cannon of an arm, the closest person i can think of is Vick, but i think vick may run better but RGIII is the better passer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Luck Vs. Griffin:
    [QUOTE]The annoyance isnt that it isnt a pats topic, just the inaccuracy of the statements.  Luck's pocket presense, quick release, accuracy, ability to read a D, all in a Pro style O against good Ds is why he is considered so good.  RG3 is nice on paper.  Is more athletic, with a bigger arm, but isnt close to Luck.  RG3 might have a better 1st and even 2nd year.  Washington has more around him.  But long term, Luck is way better IMHO.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

i don't know about rg3, but luck is mature leader. i remember that time when their kicker missed a winning field goal. most people would have just let the kid suffer on his own (i think the kicker is a freshman). luck came to him and told the kid not to worry. luck assured the kid they'd get the win just the same. 

that's just the kind of qb that can get everyone rally around him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think it is very possible for RG3 to come in and have the better couple years over Luck.  But in the long run, entire career wise, Luck will be the better QB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

The skins run a West coast offense...and the Colts will be running a Ben Roeth style Steelers offense..which may be suited to RG3.Playerwise..it might work best scheme wise for the players if RG# goes to Indy and Luck goes to Wash.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

IMO Griffin wins the physical attributes category and Luck wins the intelligence (Quick reads/pro style O) category. My other guess is that after they take Luck the Colts will try to build a wall around him (LT in the 2nd) or C in the 3rd. Still the could grab a WR in the second or Fleener if he's there might not be a bad idea.

For me it comes down to the supporting cast. If Garcon and Wayne had stuck around in Indy the views of some posters might change. And let's not forget that if Luck goes to the Colts he'll have Donald Brown as his lead back, not Marshall Faulk or Edgerrin James. Again its the supporting cast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

If I were the colts I would have traded down to the number two pick added some picks and been happy with either one of them that fell to me because the colts need way more help than just a quarter back. That being said I am very high on RG3. I mean he is an amazing person not just talent.  I mean his story is amazing. I'll summarize just a few points I think are important (leaving his football accomplishments out of it.)

He graduated high school a semester early, enrolled at baylor and place third in 400 yd hurdles in the NCAA. Graduated from baylor with a 3.7 in three years with a degree in political science, and is currently already working on his masters.

That right there tells me all I need to know about his intelegence. On top of that he comes from a military family so he has grown up with structure his whole life.  Some people are just determined to be successful no matter what the cause and I think that he is going to be successful no matter what (sort of like tom brady or peyton manning). I don't think that either would be bad pick but I think RG3 is going to be more successful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

RGIII just declined a private workout for the Colts.  So the Colts get Luck apparently.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Luck Vs. Griffin

Just have a gut feeling that Griffen will be an electrofying player to watch just like Vick can be....but for some reason, I think he'll end up about the same as Vick....good, but not great. When was the last QB that was a known runner who lasted in the NFL, and became a HOF player? Just don't see it happening. Fun to watch, but they all seem to become just average. Maybe this kid will be different with the head he has on his shoulders.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

In Response to Re: Luck Vs. Griffin:
    [QUOTE]Check out the opponents. Last year RG3 played against some of the worst defenses in the nation.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Yea but you could also say look at their teams, Luck had the best O-Line in college football and greta tightends if im not mistaken. I'm not positive who all was good on baylor but isnt there next best offinsive weapon a 2nd to 3rd round wr?

Sections
Shortcuts