Make Asomugha an offer to keep him from the Jets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Make Asomugha an offer to keep him from the Jets

The Patriots should make Asomugha an offer for $5-8 million a year

the Jets are right against the salary cap and can't really offer him anything up front this year and probably next year, too.  If the Patriots can offer him a bit (but not too much more) money to play for a team with a proven QB and an almost-as-good-and-up-and-coming cornerback tandem (with Leigh Bodden as the #3 and Arrington as a very capable #4), then maybe the Jets don't look as tempting any more

Truth be told, I think he ends up taking a monstrous offer from the Cowboys or Texans or 49ers, but the Pats need to put in a competing offer so he doesn't end up with the Jets.

My game theory view:
    -> right now, Asomugha is comparing a low salary and good chance of going far in the playoffs with the Jets versus a huge contract and very little chance of going very far with the 49ers, Texans, and Cowboys (Alex Smith and Tony Romo are going nowhere; the Texans play in the same division as the Colts and always manage to be mediocre despite marquee names)
    -> If the Patriots enter an offer of a medium salary with a good chance of going far in the playoffs, then low salary offer from the Jets doesn't look any good anymore and Asomugha would then be looking at the Pats vs. the Cowboys/Texans/49ers

The worst that happens is you end up with the best man-coverage cornerback in the league starting across from top-15 cornerback Devin McCourty, with Leigh Bodden and Kyle Arrington manning the slots

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Make Asomugha an offer to keep him from the Jets

Would rather the Pats worry about the pass rush over the pass defense. 

Leigh Bodden, if he gets back in shape, will be great next to McCourty if McCourty stays the same or plays better than he did last year. 

Leigh Bodden and Devin McCourty accounted for 127 tackles, 35 pass deflections and 12 INTs in their time in New England. 

That's a great tandem. Let the Jets destroy their cap and lose their only effective DE. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Make Asomugha an offer to keep him from the Jets:
    The Patriots should make Asomugha an offer for $5-8 million a year the Jets are right against the salary cap and can't really offer him anything up front this year and probably next year, too.  If the Patriots can offer him a bit (but not too much more) money to play for a team with a proven QB and an almost-as-good-and-up-and-coming cornerback tandem (with Leigh Bodden as the #3 and Arrington as a very capable #4), then maybe the Jets don't look as tempting any more Truth be told, I think he ends up taking a monstrous offer from the Cowboys or Texans or 49ers, but the Pats need to put in a competing offer so he doesn't end up with the Jets. My game theory view: - /> right now, Asomugha is comparing a low salary and good chance of going far in the playoffs with the Jets versus a huge contract and very little chance of going very far with the 49ers, Texans, and Cowboys (Alex Smith and Tony Romo are going nowhere; the Texans play in the same division as the Colts and always manage to be mediocre despite marquee names) -> If the Patriots enter an offer of a medium salary with a good chance of going far in the playoffs, then low salary offer from the Jets doesn't look any good anymore and Asomugha would then be looking at the Pats vs. the Cowboys/Texans/49ers The worst that happens is you end up with the best man-coverage cornerback in the league starting across from top-15 cornerback Devin McCourty, with Leigh Bodden and Kyle Arrington manning the slots
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Stop it! There's no way that the Patriots will pay huge money for Asomugha.  But, even if they were so inclined, the guy has expressed his desire to become an actor when his playing days are done. That, along with playing for a serious SB contender, along-side of Revis Island, must be very intriguing to him.

But...it's doubtful that the Jets can offer him as much money as the the three other alleged contenders for his services, Houston, Tampa Bay, and 49ers can...and likely will. 

The question is...will he take a sizable discount to play in NY?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Revis is trying to build a fire under Asomugha, by openly campaigning for him to become a Jet. Time will tell whether or not he's successful:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/darrelle-revis-nnamdi-asomugha-and-i-would-be-unbelievable-as-a-tandem/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

No way Condon let's him take a big discount for the Jet's. Condon must love all the Jet talk-- helps run up the price. I think he will go to niners, they'll pay him.and it's on the West coast. My hope Asomugha does not sign with the Jets and Cromartie signs with another team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

no one throws at Revis or Nnamdi. Get them both on the same team and then they'll get tested. Potentially exposed for not being as good as advertised. Let him go to the Jests. I want too see what they can do. We'll just run on them now. Big Al Hanesworth carrying the ball like the fridge on the goal line  lol.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Texans reportedly in “lead” for Asomugha

Nnamdi AsomughaAP

We mentioned last night that the Texans wereworking hard to sign either Nnamdi Asomughaor Johnathan Joseph last night.

According to NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi, Houston is now in the “lead” for Asomugha’s services.  He believes the deal would average between $12-14 million per season.

That’s actually less than many anticipated for Asomugha, but the bidding hasn’t ended.  And the numbers are already higher than the Jets pay Darrelle Revis.

We have a hard time believing the Jets would pay Asomugha more than Revis because of the problems that could create. If Asomugha really wants to play in New York, he may have to take less money to do so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Titans making a huge run for him, big money, no state tax, looks like the Texans are in the lead for him.  No way Revis will allow the Jets to pay Asomugha more then he makes and thats what it will taqke to get him  Unless of course Asomugha leaves a bunch of money on the table for a run for the title.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I am with gamer on this one. Shes the anti-Rex Ryan; beauty and intelligence. The Pats can kick the tires, but thats it. Don't need Asmougha at $15M per season; if you combine that with what Brady makes that's approxiamately what Giselle makes per year. What I mean to say is that the Jets are drving up his price just by being interested. It's basically an auction and Belichick just bought a slightly damaged Rembrandt for 5 bucks on his trip to the Smithsonian.

Jones is exactly the GM/Owner to open the vaults for Asmougha (SP). It will all depend on which team cuts (Williams, Barber et al) which players to make the cap room. If the Jets lose the Raiders CB sweepstakes they can sign Joseph or Cromartie.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

John Clayton 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I'm liking our young secondary as is. Spend the money on a OLB or a running back, or some other need.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

That 5-8 offer sure is enticing when other teams will be offering 10-15 million...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

If the Pats wanted to be competitive in this bidding war, they could be. But with McCourty and Bodden and the young group at CB we have, he isn't necessary. Let teams like the Texans, Titans, and 49ers compete with the Jets for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Make Asomugha an offer to keep him from the Jets:
    That 5-8 offer sure is enticing when other teams will be offering 10-15 million...
    Posted by tompenny

That's what I'm saying, though

It's NOT to sign Asomugha

It's to MAKE THE JETS' OFFER LOOK BAD and push him towards Dallas, Houston, and San Fran

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reloadedagent31. Show Reloadedagent31's posts

I'd go after him if they didn't spend the 33rd overall pick to draft Ras-I Dowling. Yesterday, I was a bit worried it'll happen. With big Al getting traded for a 5th round pick & base salary of $5 million I should be focused on if the 3 man front of Wilfork, Warren & Haynesworth alone could generate pressure. Say if Asomugha cashes in w/ New York, where does that leave the depth and talent @ every other position. Plus, all that means is the Patriots will pass to Hernandez & Gronkowski while handing the ball off 30 times/game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Make Asomugha an offer to keep him from the Jets : That's what I'm saying, though It's NOT to sign Asomugha It's to MAKE THE JETS' OFFER LOOK BAD and push him towards Dallas, Houston, and San Fran
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Why on earth would the Pats offering him far less than other teams push him any further away from the Jets signing him? Your logic doesn't even make sense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: Make Asomugha an offer to keep him from the Jets : Why on earth would the Pats offering him far less than other teams push him any further away from the Jets signing him? Your logic doesn't even make sense.
    Posted by tompenny

He's saying if he wants to play for a team that will make a run at the super bowl and take less money. The teams offering 10-15 for the most part aren't legitimate super bowl contenders so all the Patriots would have to do is outbid New York. That being said, I'm happy with what the Patriots have now, can't wait to see what Dowling can do

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Please God let the Jets Waste their money on another DB.  If I remember correctly the Jets don't have a pass rush. 

Last I checked Asomugha doesn't cover TE's and in case no one has noticed we drafted a running game this year.  I'll gladly take 230 rushing and 200 yards passing a game vs. the Jets.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

When the Jets play the Patriots they really need 3 cornerbacks.  If #3 is Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson then he'll get picked on pretty bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

When the Jets play the Patriots they really need 3 cornerbacks.  If #3 is Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson then he'll get picked on pretty bad.
    Posted by Paul_K

Not if they crowd the middle of the field like they did in the playoffs last year.  Then they can funnel everything inwards and count on Revis and Asomugha to annihilate the top two options...

Like I said, the Pats only need to offer more money than the Jets.  Not too much, not crazy money, just more than the Jets.

Then the Jets' offer is irrelevant because the Pats are just as competitive

So Asomugha would be choosing between the Patriots and the mega-contract offers

I'm not saying we need him

I'd rather not see him on the Jets

He helps kids in Africa and underpriveleged teenagers in his free time.  The Jets don't deserve him when they have "winners" like Holmes, Tomlinson, Bart Scott, Edwards, etc in their locker room

the worse that happens is you now have 3 of the top 15 corners in the league

but mostly it keeps Asomugha from the Jets

I think he ends up in Dallas / Houston / San Fran, but I'd rather not risk him on the Jets with their funneling crowd-the-middle defense from last year's playoffs

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Jets want an answer from Nnamdi

imageGetty Images

The free agency frenzy launched nearly 60 hours ago, and the biggest fish in the salary cap pond has yet to swallow a hook.

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha remains available, with the Jets, 49ers, and Texans among the candidates for his services.

As Manish Mehta of the New York Daily Newstells it, the Jets are getting antsy.  “We’re trying to get an answer out of him, one way or the other,” an unnamed source told Mehta.

It’s believed that Asomugha would take less to play for the Jets than he could get elsewhere.  Of course, Asomugha first needs to know what he could get elsewhere.

Regardless of what he can or can’t get elsewhere, wouldn’t it makes sense to print out a copy of the Darrelle Revis contract, with Nnamdi Asomugha’s name on the document instead?  Though the structure may need to be different given the salary cap, the key indicators — average per year and guaranteed money — should be the same.  Given that the New York market can give Asomugha the springboard he apparently craves into a career in acting, how could he quibble with taking a deal that matches Darrelle’s?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

count on Revis and Asomugha to annihilate the top two options...

Ok name em?  Johnson and Hernandez?   Branch and Gronkowski?  Welker and Vereen?   Please Jets sign him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The jets want an answer so they know what to do with Cromartie I assume.  Asomugha wants to be an actor after football and that is the draw to New York for less money.  I hope they get him, and pay him a bunch.  They will still have flaws, won't win the super bowl and then we can watch Rex have a breakdown.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Rich Cimini 
     by ESPNBoston

Sections
Shortcuts