Make the case for Ridley...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Make the case for Ridley...

He just runs too out of control for me, his body is not compact enough, he's not low enough...those arms are too far out there (with the ball)...it's easy pickings for those defenders. He doesn't fumble every game, but he looks like he could/should.

He's not a special runner, and if you're going to fumble like that there is no place for you. I honestly would give Bolden a very very serious chance to win the starting job. I like Vareen, but the guy gets hurt and he can't break tackles - we really don't know what he is just yet - but I've seen him get brought down too easily by one defender to think he should be a feature back. I will say Vareen has some serious pass catching skills - he shook a corner out wide that should of been a long gain if Brady had gotten him that ball. He catches almost like a slot receiver...very smooth catchihng the ball...natural receiving skills. Blount is too slow and not powerful enough for my taste.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

He just runs too out of control for me, his body is not compact enough, he's not low enough...those arms are too far out there (with the ball)...it's easy pickings for those defenders. He doesn't fumble every game, but he looks like he could/should.

He's not a special runner, and if you're going to fumble like that there is no place for you. I honestly would give Bolden a very very serious chance to win the starting job. I like Vareen, but the guy gets hurt and he can't break tackles - we really don't know what he is just yet - but I've seen him get brought down too easily by one defender to think he should be a feature back. I will say Vareen has some serious pass catching skills - he shook a corner out wide that should of been a long gain if Brady had gotten him that ball. He catches almost like a slot receiver...very smooth catchihng the ball...natural receiving skills. Blount is too slow and not powerful enough for my taste.

Someone has to step up...if it's not Ridley then I agree, give Bolden the rock to see what he can do....Vareen has to much value to use him all up carrying the ball between the tackles because eventually he'll get roughed up and he's too valuable out of the backfield grabbing passes to waste running the ball all game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

If it wasn't for the issues holding on to the football, Ridley is our best running back.  He will get the chance to be the primary back again.  But the good thing is that it doesn't really matter that much if his struggles continue.  Blount, Vereen and Bolden have all had great games.  The argument that Vereen is better than Ridley I'm not sure I agree with.  But he was pretty good today.  I don't think you want to hand the ball to Vereen all the time.  I see him wearing down.  But we don't even run it that much.  So it might not be an issue.  Luckily Blount and Bolden are pretty solid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm a Vereen fan.  Always have been.  Better runner, better receiver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Vereen had 160 all-purpose yards, on 20 touches. 

To be frank ... unless it's game plan/situation specific, I think he should be the offensive centerpiece until Gronk gets back. 

vereen reminded me of Thurman Thomas and I posted that his rookie year.

Fitting that this breakout game came in buffalo.

Anyone else getting this...?  has that elusiveness that helps him avoid big hits and gain those extra yards.

Feed him the rock out in space and let him make linebackers look silly.  great hands, smart. 

Ridley...?  His career is now  in jeopardy if he doesn't make a drastic shift in his approach.  Wow... Sad that the knockout that he took to end pats season last year could end up being the end for him too.

There was the butt fumble...  Ridley now owns the stumble fumble.... Sad..

Well, that has been my point all along. He looks like a Roger Craig or Curtis Martin type runner. 

I think his breakout game was against Houston in the playoffs last season though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Well, that has been my point all along. He looks like a Roger Craig or Curtis Martin type runner. 

I think his breakout game was against Houston in the playoffs last season though.

I know it won't be a popular sentiment here because he was so despised, but the player Vereen reminds me of is LaDanian Tomlinson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

I think we're a much better team with Vareen on the field, and Ridley off the field. 

Pass receiving skills - no compairison.  Defenses have to adjust for Vareen, if not he can scortch them at any time.  That opens things up for teammates.   Running - Vareen is a faster and, appears to me, smarter running back.  Utilizes blocking much better.

Even if fumbling were not an issue, and it's a huge one, I'd rather have Vareen on the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Looking at the Cowboys Giants game right now and I see David Wilson (feature back) with 2 fumbles.  Cowboys are going for the strip on every one of his carries.

When you have a reputation for fumbling it makes the defense that much more aggressive in forcing the issue.   Ridley has a tough road back IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The case, from a complete guess on BB's mindset (or stubborness if you prefer), would be that BB "wants" to have a phsyical and or somewhat punishing running back.

At least one who is healthy.

Boldin appears to be injured at the moment. Blount runs like a finesse runner and not saying anything is wrong with it or him just that I always assume BB wants a more physical runner. That is not to say that Ridley is overwhelming in that style but he is the most like that on the rsoter, at least who is currently healthy.

It would also explain why BB has not played Vereen more "before" today, because there frankly does not appear to be another apparent reason to a fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Looking at the Cowboys Giants game right now and I see David Wilson (feature back) with 2 fumbles.  Cowboys are going for the strip on every one of his carries.

When you have a reputation for fumbling it makes the defense that much more aggressive in forcing the issue.   Ridley has a tough road back IMO.

Good point about trying to strip RB s with fumblitis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

Two thoughts:

1) I am worried about Vereen's durability. He is a smaller runner.

2) Ridley does not have a fumbling problem. Look at all of the good runningbacks and you will see that they all fumble. Examples of RBs in their latest full seasons:

AP is a fumbling machine, has averaged 4 fumbles per season. He improved, but still had 3 last year.

Marshawn Lynch has fumbled 3 and 4 times the last 2 years.

Arian Foster has fumbled 3, 4, and 3 times the last 3 seasons.

Jamal Charles fumbled 5 times last season.

Ridley had 4 fumbles last season. It is not great, but normal for a guy that runs inside the numbers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to toocool9090's comment:

Two thoughts:

2) Ridley does not have a fumbling problem. Look at all of the good runningbacks and you will see that they all fumble. Examples of RBs in their latest full seasons:

AP is a fumbling machine, has averaged 4 fumbles per season. He improved, but still had 3 last year.

Ridley had 4 fumbles last season. It is not great, but normal for a guy that runs inside the numbers.

The question is his upside worth the turnovers... I would deal with 4 fumbles a season if he had the upside of AP...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I've always liked Vereen but he lost a fumble last year.

Vereen has break away moves and speed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I don't think speaking up for Ridley is a shot at Vareen or vice versa....IMO Ridley ran very well, 5.1 avg and a couple of first downs. He had a slip and the ground knocked the ball out of his hands. He must, and will clean that up. The team will need him. I think he still has a big season, as does Vareen, and ditto Bolden. 

I said earlier that I expect if/when the RB's are healthy, Blount is the odd man out. I did not think he showed much today

I agree on everything. Blounts is a 250 scat back. He cannot find a hole and CANNOT push a pile. He is not a power back. Ridley is very important to our offense, he makes positive yards out of nothing and regularly breaks big runs.. Rid and Vareen could be one of the best RB combos in the NFL. I hope we can coach this kid up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Two thoughts:

I think this kind of context is helpful.  Even the best RBs fumble from time to time.  That said, the fumble that Ridley forced on himself with his slip came at precisely the wrong time and that makes it all the more stark and troubling.  I like Ridley's production between the tackles.  Those are tough yards to come by at times and Ridley was playing well until. . . .  BB values ball security and Ridley's future with the Pats will depend on him overcoming the fumble problem.

I also like Vereen a lot and there's no question that he was one of the keys to the Pats coming out of Buffalo with a W.  Fortunately the Pats do have RB options and he appears to be a really good one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think part of the problem with Ridley's fumble in BB's mind was that he seemed unaware he fumbled.  BB doesn't seem to like mental mistakes like that. I have a feeling that's what got Ridley benched more than the fumble itself.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think part of the problem with Ridley's fumble in BB's mind was that he seemed unaware he fumbled.  BB doesn't seem to like mental mistakes like that. I have a feeling that's what got Ridley benched more than the fumble itself.  

Yanno, that's a good point.  I noticed that as well re: lack of awareness.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

mebbe they should trade him for a S

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to Rocky's comment:

He is one my #1 FF RB

+100 

That is a rock solid answer. Haha. He'll get his reps, I'm sure. But I think the balance should tip some in Vereen's favor.

Yeah, like 99% to 1% in favor of Vereen.

I'd like to see a test run of something like 20-25 touches (combined runs and targets) for Vereen while limiting Ridley to about 10 runs (because let's face it, he's not a receiving back). 

At least as a test run. I think Vereen can be a huge difference maker with more playing time. 

Also ... with less 2RB sets ... get him on the line if you want him to catch. The slant in the 4th was a great catch. 

Ridley just doesn't give you the ability to give that look. 

ZBell, Vereen should be on the field more often, like yesterday.  I think when Bolder is healthy, he should give Ridley a battel for the main RB slot.  IMO  Bolden is quicker to the hole and catches the ball better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Two thoughts:

I think this kind of context is helpful.  Even the best RBs fumble from time to time.  That said, the fumble that Ridley forced on himself with his slip came at precisely the wrong time and that makes it all the more stark and troubling.  I like Ridley's production between the tackles.  Those are tough yards to come by at times and Ridley was playing well until. . . .  BB values ball security and Ridley's future with the Pats will depend on him overcoming the fumble problem.

I also like Vereen a lot and there's no question that he was one of the keys to the Pats coming out of Buffalo with a W.  Fortunately the Pats do have RB options and he appears to be a really good one.

I've made this point about Ridley in previous threads on the subject.  He fumbles at about a league-average rate for a lead running back.  Since BB puts so much emphasis on ball security, we're not used to league average here.

I think Ridley is benched for the Jets game, and then is slowly worked back into the offense.  I really hope he improves his ball security, because I think he can be a devastating runner for this team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I cant make the case. He is overated here. He is in the doghouse for forseeable future. I told my boy after the 2nd fumble we wouldnt see him after that. Why does vareen only get 14 carries thought. I like him in passing game but he was ripping off 20 a pop on the ground? This team still falls in love with pass too much but I love what Vareen brings. A faster Faulk out there. Ridley, I would trade him if possible. Good hard runner, but puts it on the turf after every good hit it seems. Being a RB, you are gonna get hit, so not good for him.  Between Bolden, Blount, Vareen and Wash. I think we are good. Should look to see if a team gets a need at RB. See if they have a safety or lineman. Ridley has fumblelitus

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He is one my #1 FF RB

+100 

That is a rock solid answer. Haha. He'll get his reps, I'm sure. But I think the balance should tip some in Vereen's favor.

Vereen will probaBly going to get more reps but it is not like Ridley is going to dissapear. I would still take Ridley over Vereen on an important 3 and 1. Also while he had some key fumbles last year he also didn't have that many overall.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In big games. Babe, he coughs it up frequently.  Yesterday - that was a 14 point swing - and he was not even hit!  Stop making excuses and see reality with this guy!!!

He is one my #1 FF RB

+100 

Vereen will probaBly going to get more reps but it is not like Ridley is going to dissapear. I would still take Ridley over Vereen on an important 3 and 1. Also while he had some key fumbles last year he also didn't have that many overall.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to thehub's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I made my case in the Game Thread.   His new role is to carry Vereen's helmet to/from the practice field for the next few weeks.  Nothing else.

If he can do that without dropping it we can consider him for mop up duty in blowouts by mid-season.

Over reaction! The dude got the point, he needs to fix it. AP fumbles as well. Perhaps he should be 

benched as well. 

Yea umm, when you take your 1st carry of the year from scrimmage and proceed to juke 3 defenders out their shoes simultaneously before running for a 80 yard TD! yea I think HE can put it on the turf a couple times. Never mind he IS the offense playing behind a bum rookie QB and gets ATLEAST 30 touches a game with 8 in the box. Lets see Ridley plays on  a passing offense, with Brady he gets the luxury of noone worrying about him or stacking the box and he splits time with other backs. Bad example, sorry. I will take A.P, and whatever concieved fumble problem he has ANY DAY!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Looks like Vareen made the case for Ridley. broken wrist. He's not your everdown back. Nobody is anymore so they need a second guy and Rid is by far the best choice.   in the 3rd quarter near the end zone they could have used Rid put it it in. Vareen dancing to the outside doesn't hack downside the 5.

Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding the truth.

Sections
Shortcuts