Mallet Gone IMO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: Mallet Gone IMO

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I think he gets cut but not because of Garp played. To me that has nothing to do with my reasoning why he'd get cut.

To me, if he stays he takes up a spot so he has to be worth that spot. To be worth that spot he'd have to give at least be a guy that might not win you games but also not lose you games if he replaces Brady. I thought Hoyer was that type of guy and Cassel was that type of guy. To me Mallett isn't that type of guy. If Brady goes down and Mallett takes over it's end of season even with a top 5 D. So, in my eyes he isn't worth the extra roster spot right now.

Now I know that what Garp does/did has no bearing (which to me it doesn't) but if Garp does the same thing in the next two games it makes the decision easier.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

+1 my thoughts exactly

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Seems to me, back in '08, most people around here thought that BB was out of his mind going with Cassel.  If I remember correctly, a lot of the comments were very similar to what we are hearing be said about Mallet.  I find it funny that so many people here would be so quick to concede the season, if TB was to get injured at some point.  Not me.  I've watched BB do too much over all these years to write this team off at any point.  Even given last night's performance...which, by the way, I did not believe to be an entirely wasted effort on Mallet's part...I fully expect BB to hold onto to Mallet.  I suspect he has a much better handle on this QB's abilities than I do.  I know that he did with Cassel.

[object HTMLDivElement]

One question, did we make the playoffs in 08'?

To me there was also a difference between Cassel and Mallett. Cassel looked comfortable in the pocket to me, even in preseason, Mallett has a deer in the headlights look too often and likes to tuck it when he panics. He reminds me of a poor mans Bledsoe without the ability to stand in the pocket. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Someone made a point today that if BB values that last roster spot he will cut Mallett, because the guy is never going to play here and he is going to net you nothing in trade. I don't think that will happen, I think he will stay put through the season and is the first one off the bench - not that I like the idea of this guy playing for us - but because I don't think they are going to rush Jimmy. Personally i think Jimmy is the better player for this offense right now and I would consider cutting Mallett IF it meant being able to keep a promising prospect (but not some marginal corner who can be signed at anytime during the season).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Cassel didn't exactly impress in the preseason either.  I think it is hard to know what would happen if Brady were lost for the season (god forbid).  I don't think we'd be the Colts without Manning.  That's for sure.  Of course this slightly misses the point because I am talking about the risk that Brady has to miss a few games.  If BB thinks Mallett would give us a better chance to win those few games than JG then Mallett stays regardless of whether or not Mallett is capable of leading this team to the playoffs in a 16 game season.

Oh, I think it's pretty close to the Colts without Manning if Brady went down and Mallet went in for the season or part of the season, especially with these receivers.  And certainly the run game wouldn't help much.  Brady goes down, the season is DONE!  The only hope would be if Jimmy G could get up to speed fast enough.  That's why I say forget Mallet now, Jimmy G should be getting all the 2nd QB reps from this point forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Rotoworld pretty much nails it.......

Getting the start, Ryan Mallett struggled in the Patriots' preseason opener, completing just 5-of-12 passes for 55 yards.

Quite simply, it was a Gabbert-esque performance. Mallett lost two completions to Patriots penalties, but missed passes every which way. He threw multiple balls in the dirt, and displayed shockingly poor timing with his second- and third-team compatriots. He was jittery in the pocket, and the Redskins took advantage, sending more heat than you typically see in a preseason game. Mallett looked nothing like a quarterback the Patriots are going to be receiving calls about. He's leaving the door open for rookie Jimmy Garoppolo to seize No. 2 duties.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

No Edelmann, no Amendola, no Vereen, no Gronk, very little Ridley and a no show by the offensive line. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

No Edelmann, no Amendola, no Vereen, no Gronk, very little Ridley and a no show by the offensive line. 

The sad thing about that list you just posted is all 4 (Edelmann, Amendola, Vereen and Gronk) have had serious health issues in the past and Ridley has had serious dog house issues in the past.  If we see that again with some, God forbid several, of these players this season it's big trouble for this offense.  BB has not done this team any favors on offense this past off season, that's for sure.  Need perfect health and play from all 5 of these players to even have a shot at the SB.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

CUT.. I'm in. Put me on the list.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Seems to me, back in '08, most people around here thought that BB was out of his mind going with Cassel.  If I remember correctly, a lot of the comments were very similar to what we are hearing be said about Mallet.  I find it funny that so many people here would be so quick to concede the season, if TB was to get injured at some point.  Not me.  I've watched BB do too much over all these years to write this team off at any point.  Even given last night's performance...which, by the way, I did not believe to be an entirely wasted effort on Mallet's part...I fully expect BB to hold onto to Mallet.  I suspect he has a much better handle on this QB's abilities than I do.  I know that he did with Cassel.

[object HTMLDivElement]

One question, did we make the playoffs in 08'?

To me there was also a difference between Cassel and Mallett. Cassel looked comfortable in the pocket to me, even in preseason, Mallett has a deer in the headlights look too often and likes to tuck it when he panics. He reminds me of a poor mans Bledsoe without the ability to stand in the pocket. 

I thought Cassel looked pretty bad before the 2008 regular season.  Didn't Cassel get pulled during garbage time once and Brady had to go back in.  (I might have dreamed that) Maybe Hoyer

i don't really remember if Cassel looked comfortable in the pocket before 2008. 

I guess if one back up is on the way out and another is on the way in; I'm glad the new one looked better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 26mIt's hard to see the future for Mallett. I don't think he's a lock make Pats roster. Remember: They cut O'Connell in '09 for a rookie Hoyer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

The sad thing about that list you just posted is all 4 (Edelmann, Amendola, Vereen and Gronk) have had serious health issues in the past and Ridley has had serious dog house issues in the past.  If we see that again with some, God forbid several, of these players this season it's big trouble for this offense.  BB has not done this team any favors on offense this past off season, that's for sure.  Need perfect health and play from all 5 of these players to even have a shot at the SB.  

I have no issue cutting him, just pointing out he wasn't playing with the first string weapons either. Remember how terribly bad Cassell looked in the preseason in 2008? He then led them to within a tie breaker of the playoffs. Preseason games are not necessarily a good barometer for success. In my opinion, if TB goes down, I'd rather see Garapolo be given a shot. He is more of the long term future, put him to the test.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

i just watched the game again

i DuPont think Mallett deserves a ll of the Blane, the oline was not great, some of the receivers routes weren't great, he made plays that were nullified and they were calling run, run,pass

and then he missed some

I am at the point with him tho that he has to show something sometime

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Mallet is not a lock right now but he still has a couple more games to prove himself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Mallet is not a lock right now but he still has a couple more games to prove himself.

I agree.

While he had another horrid preseason game the Pats know he's gone after the season and they aren't going to have JG as the #1 backup.   So, if they cut RM I expect BB to pick up a vet (in the Vinny T mold) to be the unused #1 backup.

I liked what we saw from JG's brief appearance but we need to tap the brakes on 2014 expectations for him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

+1000

Not defending Mallet, but the ease in which us fans ignore what you just wrote is amazing.  He's never played an entire NFL game, barely even appeared in a real game, given backups to play with......and we can proclaim him a scrub based on that.  Had he played like that with the starters I'd be more inclined to pile on.  

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Caraway, look at the title of the thread....It's a childish, knee jerk reaction. I wonder if Joe would change his mind if Mallett reels off 3 good preaseason games?

This board is such an incredible joke around this time of year anyway. Like clockwork, every year it's this handwringing by some fans, stoked by tools like RKrap and his group, as he overrates anything about the Jets at the same time.

Meanwhile, the intelligent fans sit back, a bit annoyed by the drama on the board, sifting through the decent conversations here, but mortified some of these fans are actually Pats fans.

There are way, way too many people here who see things in just blacks and whites instead of taking a step back and being rational, understanding contexts and waiting for judgement until the whole picture is complete.

It's like this here every year around this time. Every year.

Horrible pick. Below average GM. Horrible player.

Big mistake. End of conversation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I disagree. Mallet will be the #2 Qb all year. You don't give the keys to a Cadillac to an adolescent with no driving experience....

Especially when it's one of the best Cadillacs ever made. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I disagree. Mallet will be the #2 Qb all year. You don't give the keys to a Cadillac to an adolescent with no driving experience....

Especially when it's one of the best Cadillacs ever made. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

That's a horrible comparison because obviously the kid can crash the car and die etc. but if Jimmy G in tossed in there with no pressure to win and just get experience the worst thing that happens is we lose games and get a better pick in the draft too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Rus, I just  to see something from mallet sometime b4 I have any faith in him

else where I did say it wasn't all him, 

as bb said, we didn't play any phase well, and except for a few bright spots I agree

i admit I am having a hard time getting a handle on what we have

not against the average teams, but the better teams

We have a long road

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Caraway, look at the title of the thread....It's a childish, knee jerk reaction. I wonder if Joe would change his mind if Mallett reels off 3 good preaseason games?

This board is such an incredible joke around this time of year anyway. Like clockwork, every year it's this handwringing by some fans, stoked by tools like RKrap and his group, as he overrates anything about the Jets at the same time.

Meanwhile, the intelligent fans sit back, a bit annoyed by the drama on the board, sifting through the decent conversations here, but mortified some of these fans are actually Pats fans.

There are way, way too many people here who see things in just blacks and whites instead of taking a step back and being rational, understanding contexts and waiting for judgement until the whole picture is complete.

It's like this here every year around this time. Every year.

If Mallet reeled off 3 great games i'd still like him gone but try and trade him for a pick.

I just think no matter what if we lose Brady we might as well let Jimmy G get some reps in real game situations

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Put me down under "cut outright..."

In his very first preseason game Garopollo completed 69% of his passes, to put into perspective Mallet has NEVER approached that number in four years of preseason games.

iIm still thinking it makes sense to keep Mallet, but I'm leaning more and more to Wozzy's side here.  I know they probably dumbed things down for Garapollo, but even so, I thought he showed a decisiveness and command of the game that was honestly Bradyesque. I was at the Jets game when Mo Lewis clocked Bledsoe and Brady came in and the whole pace of the offense changed.  Honestly, I felt the same way last nigh.  I'm not saying Garapollo will be Brady, but boy, he had that same je ne sais quois last night. The offense went from stale to clicking on all cylinders when he came in.  That was exactly what happened after Mo Lewis put that hit on Brady.  My gut just tells me this Garapollo kid is the real deal.  I've never felt that way about Mallet.  Mallet has always left me completely underwhelmed. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Someone made a point today that if BB values that last roster spot he will cut Mallett, because the guy is never going to play here and he is going to net you nothing in trade. I don't think that will happen, I think he will stay put through the season and is the first one off the bench - not that I like the idea of this guy playing for us - but because I don't think they are going to rush Jimmy. Personally i think Jimmy is the better player for this offense right now and I would consider cutting Mallett IF it meant being able to keep a promising prospect (but not some marginal corner who can be signed at anytime during the season).

There was a reason BB brought Brady Quinn in for a look.  Quinn on speed dial may be a better option than Mallet taking a roster spot. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

I don't know, I've seen Mallett standing on the sidelines holding that clipboard and he looks real good doing it.  And you see the way he greets Brady coming off the field and the way Brady looks at him like no way am I letting this guy into the game, he sucks.  This keeps Brady motivated to stay in there even when he's getting pounded by a suspect O line and his WRs are staying covered and dropping passes while his only reliable guys are hurt, or smoking weed in Colorado or kiling dudes for insulting them, or hurt.  

I feel Brady plays better when he's the guy who has to shoulder the whole load.  We don't win superbowls that way because it's the ultimate team sport but it gives us a chance.  And Mallett standing on the sidelines with that deer in the headlights look keeps Brady's competitive fires stoked so I say keep the bum.

Sections
Shortcuts