Mallet Gone IMO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Mallet Gone IMO

Whether it's cut or traded I don't see him here.

The most likely scenario is he is cut because the only trade value he has is a 7th round pick and BB wouldn't do that.

Just think about it... He didn't show us anything vs. the 1s and 2s of  the Skins so if Brady does go down we're screwed anyway. I don't think if Brady went down this season Mallet could come in and lead us to 10-11 wins. We would go about 8-8 with the defense winning all of the games and probably miss the playoffs.

If Brady goes down I'd rather let Jimmy G go in there and tell him, no pressure kid, do your best and get the experience.

Just cut Mallet at this point and save the spot for depth somewhere. If Brady goes down, Mallet isn't saving us this season vs. the schedule we have this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Re: Mallet Gone IMO

Schefter is either being fed fake info for the pats to boost his stock or mallett isn't going anywhere with them comfortable with his development. 

Mayock also seemed pretty.impressed with him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whether it's cut or traded I don't see him here.

The most likely scenario is he is cut because the only trade value he has is a 7th round pick and BB wouldn't do that.

Just think about it... He didn't show us anything vs. the 1s and 2s of  the Skins so if Brady does go down we're screwed anyway. I don't think if Brady went down this season Mallet could come in and lead us to 10-11 wins. We would go about 8-8 with the defense winning all of the games and probably miss the playoffs.

If Brady goes down I'd rather let Jimmy G go in there and tell him, no pressure kid, do your best and get the experience.

Just cut Mallet at this point and save the spot for depth somewhere. If Brady goes down, Mallet isn't saving us this season vs. the schedule we have this year.

[/QUOTE]

Joe, your smarter than this.

Mallett had a few very good plays last night

Jimmy G may very well be a great NFL QB some day. BUt he will not see the field this year. The Redskins played a vanilla defense last night. Jimmy is not ready to play in the NFL...

I get it, you don't like Mallett. Maybe he is gone. If he is, the PAts bring in a real #2. They wont allow Jimmy to get killed this year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Why wouldn't bb do that? I'd rather get a 7th round pick than nothing if you're going to let him go before the season either way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Based on last night with what Jimmy G showed, I feel the same way. If Brady gets injured, I'm not sure Mallet could even lead this team to the playoffs. He's in his 4th year and Jimmy G is the future backup here and maybe starter some day. Time to start grooming Jimmy. Mallet (who I like) would just be taking up a roster spot

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Joe, your smarter than this.

Mallett had a few very good plays last night

Jimmy G may very well be a great NFL QB some day. BUt he will not see the field this year. The Redskins played a vanilla defense last night. Jimmy is not ready to play in the NFL...

I get it, you don't like Mallett. Maybe he is gone. If he is, the PAts bring in a real #2. They wont allow Jimmy to get killed this year

[/QUOTE]

I just don't see Mallet coming in and pulling a Cassel this season.

I'd rather go full throttle NBA mode and tank the season if Brady goes down. Imagine if BB got a top 10 pick? He would probably flip it for 2 first rounders or something.

I don't see the issue of throwing Jimmy G into the fire if the season is lost anyway

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Rustbag do you think bb will pull the wool over someone's eyes with mallet? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I heard there is a Mallet trade on the table...

He was horrible.  There are no excuses!  What was worse was his post game interview with the media.  He acted like he did just fine.  It was a head shaker for sure.  I see no reason to keep this guy.  For Rusty to think this guy was being showcased last night was an insult to his idol, BB!!  Mallet sux, and nobody is going to trade much for this guy.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

But TFB the qb class is very weak next year. Mike Reiss said so, remember?

BB will likely pull a fleecejob deluxe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Schefter is either being fed fake info for the pats to boost his stock or mallett isn't going anywhere with them comfortable with his development. 

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? You actually think bb was comfortable with his performance last night? If performance is indicative of development, he hasn't developed one bit. 

I think mallet could be a decent nfl QB. Just not in our system. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

It's the first presseason game. Gotta see the process through. Rooting for a Jimmy G to thrive would mean an extra roster spot to add depth in other areas. But dropping Mallet, who has 3 years of development, for a green rookie is counter to everything coach B stands for. Grop looked legit against bench warmers and vanilla Ds. I'll be more fired up if he shows more NFL readiness through the rest of presesason with better competition.

One thing is for sure, there's something about him. His mind is right. Kids got maturity and toughness. Touch. He's not going to get too high, nor does he seem like he gets too low.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

BB would never let this team go down the toilet if TB went down, not in his blood. He would just change tactics, like any good Field General.
    Take it easy on 1st game of Preseason, we got to look at some of the kids, no serious injuries, as far as Im concerned we won.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I don't want to single you out Joe since you are hardly the only person to say this but I do not understand the whole "if Brady goes down we are effed so who cares about the backup" argument.  Why is it that if Brady gets injured it has to be season ending?  What if he has to miss a game or 2?  What if he suffers an injury like Rodgers did last year?  If that's the case then given how we know each game is incredibly important you want the guy in there that gives you the best chance to win while Brady is out.  If BB thinks Mallett is better than JG then he will keep both for this very reason.  If not he will cut Mallett.  There are a number of plausible reasons why BB would still prefer Mallett over JG even after this preseason game.  The point here is that I don't think Mallett has to be someone who we think can lead us to the playoffs if he had to play the whole season to justify his roster spot.  He just has to be better than JG in BB's eyes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

But TFB the qb class is very weak next year. Mike Reiss said so, remember?

BB will likely pull a fleecejob deluxe.

No, according to Rusty the toolbag, Mike Reiss said the Patriots don't like any QB's coming out of the draft the next 2 years.

Mike Reiss said he never said that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't want to single you out Joe since you are hardly the only person to say this but I do not understand the whole "if Brady goes down we are effed so who cares about the backup" argument.  Why is it that if Brady gets injured it has to be season ending?  What if he has to miss a game or 2?  What if he suffers an injury like Rodgers did last year?  If that's the case then given how we know each game is incredibly important you want the guy in there that gives you the best chance to win while Brady is out.  If BB thinks Mallett is better than JG then he will keep both for this very reason.  If not he will cut Mallett.  There are a number of plausible reasons why BB would still prefer Mallett over JG even after this preseason game.  The point here is that I don't think Mallett has to be someone who we think can lead us to the playoffs if he had to play the whole season to justify his roster spot.  He just has to be better than JG in BB's eyes.

[/QUOTE]

Well if TFB goes down and Mallet is the QB then yes, the season is over.  Mallet could not do what Cassell did, even if they only played the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets all season long.   BB was very critical of the Colts when they didn't have a backup plan to Manning, well it looks like the Pats could be in the same situation if, God forbid, TFB goes down.  BB better be doing some quick work on a backup plan.  I would say let Jimmy G play all the preseason over Mallet.  Throw him in the fire now!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

per Reiss;

2. Quarterback Ryan Mallett did an excellent job to feel backside pressure on the initial third-and-8, stepping up to avoid Brian Orakpo -- who blistered left tackle Nate Solder with a speed rush -- and hitting Brandon LaFell with an on-the-run throw for the first down. The play, of course, was negated by a holding penalty on Solder. The Patriots called on a four-receiver package and naturally sent all four into pass routes, while the Redskins rushed just four and dropped seven into coverage. The Patriots’ inability to protect Mallett against a standard four-man rush tilted the downfield numbers in favor of Washington, but Mallett still made the play (just as he did on a third-and-10 conversion later in the quarter to Josh Boyce). That’s one reason we weren’t ready to blast his performance immediately after the game. It wasn’t all bad.

3. In the first quarter, Mallett dropped back to pass seven times. He was under pressure on three of them and didn’t appear to have an open target on a fourth so he tucked the ball and ran. Of the three times he wasn’t pressured and had an open target, his only mistake was skipping a throw to receiver Brandon LaFell, which was one of his worst throws of the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Well if TFB goes down and Mallet is the QB then yes, the season is over.  Mallet could not do what Cassell did, even if they only played the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets all season long.   BB was very critical of the Colts when they didn't have a backup plan to Manning, well it looks like the Pats could be in the same situation if, God forbid, TFB goes down.

Cassel didn't exactly impress in the preseason either.  I think it is hard to know what would happen if Brady were lost for the season (god forbid).  I don't think we'd be the Colts without Manning.  That's for sure.  Of course this slightly misses the point because I am talking about the risk that Brady has to miss a few games.  If BB thinks Mallett would give us a better chance to win those few games than JG then Mallett stays regardless of whether or not Mallett is capable of leading this team to the playoffs in a 16 game season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Mallet did not impress yet he stays this season

1) The nature of the preseason is unpredictable and hazardous. There is no offensive game plan; it resembles schoolyard ball; one does not play with a full deck of offensive players and one may play against a full deck defense who can operate well w/o a defensive plan. All told, it gives a very incomplete picture. One needs to examine it play by play to see what one can learn.

2) Mallet knows the offense and bringing in a new QB who does not know our timing offense will create more problems than it fixes.

3) Jimmy G is not ready; all he proved is that he has skills and can adapt to schoolyard ball against 3rd level players. I am glad to see it but he has a long way to go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Put me down under "cut outright..."

In his very first preseason game Garopollo completed 69% of his passes, to put into perspective Mallet has NEVER approached that number in four years of preseason games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This. So much of this. I feel like when people talk about a Brady injury, they assume it's season ending. It's important to have a solid backup in place if TB has to miss say 2-4 games because those could be critical in whether or not they make the playoffs and what seed they get. If BB still believes Mallet is more ready than JG, then Mallet stays.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? You actually think bb was comfortable with his performance last night? If performance is indicative of development, he hasn't developed one bit. 

I think mallet could be a decent nfl QB. Just not in our system. 

[/QUOTE]

I am not adam schefter.  For the record, i was out last night and dvrd the gamenfor today at 4 so i have not seen anything yet.

So, yes i am serious about what schefter said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Well I've been saying for 4 years now the guy stinks and in the Mallette starting thread from last night said he is playing for a roster spot....so put me down for the Dude's getting cut.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think he gets cut but not because of Garp played. To me that has nothing to do with my reasoning why he'd get cut.

To me, if he stays he takes up a spot so he has to be worth that spot. To be worth that spot he'd have to give at least be a guy that might not win you games but also not lose you games if he replaces Brady. I thought Hoyer was that type of guy and Cassel was that type of guy. To me Mallett isn't that type of guy. If Brady goes down and Mallett takes over it's end of season even with a top 5 D. So, in my eyes he isn't worth the extra roster spot right now.

Now I know that what Garp does/did has no bearing (which to me it doesn't) but if Garp does the same thing in the next two games it makes the decision easier.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Seems to me, back in '08, most people around here thought that BB was out of his mind going with Cassel.  If I remember correctly, a lot of the comments were very similar to what we are hearing be said about Mallet.  I find it funny that so many people here would be so quick to concede the season, if TB was to get injured at some point.  Not me.  I've watched BB do too much over all these years to write this team off at any point.  Even given last night's performance...which, by the way, I did not believe to be an entirely wasted effort on Mallet's part...I fully expect BB to hold onto to Mallet.  I suspect he has a much better handle on this QB's abilities than I do.  I know that he did with Cassel.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think you need to separate it to, even if for a couple games do you think Mallett can go 50/50 at worst? Lets say Brady goes down for 4 games and they lose 3 we still could make the playoffs but it becomes a much harder road or that might lead to a 9-7 season and not quite make it. So it comes down to if you think Mallett can go 50/50 and is better than Garp yep he stays, personally I don't think he can go 50/50 so that would be end of season if Brady is down for more than a quarter of the season.

Sections
Shortcuts