Mallet Gone IMO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Re: Mallet Gone IMO

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seems to me, back in '08, most people around here thought that BB was out of his mind going with Cassel.  If I remember correctly, a lot of the comments were very similar to what we are hearing be said about Mallet.  I find it funny that so many people here would be so quick to concede the season, if TB was to get injured at some point.  Not me.  I've watched BB do too much over all these years to write this team off at any point.  Even given last night's performance...which, by the way, I did not believe to be an entirely wasted effort on Mallet's part...I fully expect BB to hold onto to Mallet.  I suspect he has a much better handle on this QB's abilities than I do.  I know that he did with Cassel.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

One question, did we make the playoffs in 08'?

To me there was also a difference between Cassel and Mallett. Cassel looked comfortable in the pocket to me, even in preseason, Mallett has a deer in the headlights look too often and likes to tuck it when he panics. He reminds me of a poor mans Bledsoe without the ability to stand in the pocket. 

[/QUOTE]

The team went 11-5.  Sorry, but I can't lay the blame for the team not making the playoffs that year at Cassel's feet.  The kid did an awesome job.  The fact is, most people thought BB was out of his mind, having that kind of confidence in him...nobody else did.  I think one of the reasons people didn't trust Cassel was the fact that he didn't look comfortable and had no success in the preseason.   It turned out that BB was right. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

The team went 11-5.  Sorry, but I can't lay the blame for the team not making the playoffs that year at Cassel's feet.  The kid did an awesome job.  The fact is, most people thought BB was out of his mind, having that kind of confidence in him...nobody else did.  I think one of the reasons people didn't trust Cassel was the fact that he didn't look comfortable and had no success in the preseason.   It turned out that BB was right. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

08' was pretty much the same exact team that went 16-0 the previous season. There were only a couple players who weren't brought back. In addition it was the easiest schedule the Pats have ever had in BB's tenure. Cassel had a lot going for him in that season and even then they couldn't make the playoffs. I give Cassel credit for doing a good job but lets not make it seem that you can take any QB and say the Pats didn't miss a step because that's far from the truth.

As for the preseason, Cassel wasn't accurate and held on to the ball too much (that is true) but even the announcers said that Garps pocket presence reminded them of Cassel's so I think you might be miss remembering part a little bit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

08' was pretty much the same exact team that went 16-0 the previous season. There were only a couple players who weren't brought back. In addition it was the easiest schedule the Pats have ever had in BB's tenure. Cassel had a lot going for him in that season and even then they couldn't make the playoffs. I give Cassel credit for doing a good job but lets not make it seem that you can take any QB and say the Pats didn't miss a step because that's far from the truth.

As for the preseason, Cassel wasn't accurate and held on to the ball too much (that is true) but even the announcers said that Garps pocket presence reminded them of Cassel's so I think you might be miss remembering part a little bit.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know pats, this is sort of the way i remember it.

Inexperienced backup Matt Cassel entered the game to lead the Patriots. The same Matt Cassel who had a horrific preseason and barely survived preseason cuts.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/526747-fifty-years-of-patriots-football-2008-the-year-of-matt-cassel" rel="nofollow">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/526747-fifty-years-of-patriots-football-2008-the-year-of-matt-cassel

or this….

On the positive side for Mallett, the same things were said about Matt Cassel in the 2008 preseason. At that time, the quarterback was in his fourth year with the Patriots and he similarly had very little game experience. In the preseason opener, Cassel went 1-for-4 with an interception. He wasn’t much better the next week (6-for-10, 57 yards), he took three sacks in week three, and by that point, all of New England believed Cassel would never be able to control an NFL offense.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/08/ryan-mallett-flops-when-given-opportunity-to-shine-for-patriots/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Amazing. The comments here are truly amazing.

(1) BB knows whether Mallett is a respectable pack up. He has watched him, coached him for three years and more.

(2) If he was a reasonable option as a back up last year they will not trade for someone else to ride the bench instead of him.

(3) If they think JG is comparable by the end of preseason they will cut (or trade) Mallett and JG will be the back up.

(4) I agree that Mallet was awful - though he should a little in a few passes during the game. 

(5) One preseason game, especially the first, does not condemn even a player who is likely to be gone after this year.

(6) Interesting that Mallet has played well in practice but not in games while JG started out weak in practice but was comfortable on the field in a game.

If JG shows real stuff Mallet would be cut... but BB will need to feel that he can put the team in his hands if TB goes down. BB has that faith in Mallet or he would not be here now. JG will have to instill the same level of faith in BB. This team is good enough to win a SB with a smart field general who can throw smart passes with some accuracy and not turn it over. BB does not want to throw the team to the dogs if any one player goes down, even TB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know what's kind of funny, I remember these same arguments being made almost every 3 years or so.

05' - BB won't cut Davey for 7th round pick Cassel. Davey has experience in the system and BB trusts him to be a back up

09' - BB won't cut O'Connell for Hoyer. O'Connell has more experience in the system and we don't know if Brady's knee is ready

12' - BB won't cut Hoyer. Mallett is too inexperienced and Mallett is still raw. BB trusted Hoyer as a UDFA to be Brady's only backup before so he must trust him

I mean talk about groundhog day 

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Come on guys I expect more from you. These comments to cut Mallet are downright idiotic. Our line could not give him a pocket to throw from. No Edelman or Amendola or Gronk to throw to. Give the guy a break. Given a real chance I think he can do the job

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Brady2Moss07's comment:

Come on guys I expect more from you. These comments to cut Mallet are downright idiotic. Our line could not give him a pocket to throw from. No Edelman or Amendola or Gronk to throw to. Give the guy a break. Given a real chance I think he can do the job

In BB We Trust and all that, but I would like to see the back up QBs in preseason get a shot with the 1s sometime. He never does it so you really never know what the QB can really do.

It's why Cassel always looked so bad in preseason and then looked good when given starts week to week in 2008.

If Mallett was not progressing here, he would have been cut already.  BB cuts bait faster than any GM I can think of in this league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Did you not see the previous 3 preseasons? He's looked the same every preseason regardless how the OL protected him or what WR's he had to throw to. If this was his first preseason you are absolutely correct but we have how many preseason games now? I think we can make a judgement at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Millennial:  The apostrophe goes before the number, not after it. It replaces the 2 other numbers, professor.

Good god.  You think you're such a know-it-all and you don't even know basic grammar. Ugh. I weep for the future of this country with your generation showing so many bad traits.

Ignorance, entitlement, no social skills, arrogance and thinking you know it all.

It's comical that you think you know more than Bill Belichick in these matters, but it's also scary and sad that you might vote or procreate in the future, too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Seems to me, back in '08, most people around here thought that BB was out of his mind going with Cassel.  If I remember correctly, a lot of the comments were very similar to what we are hearing be said about Mallet.  I find it funny that so many people here would be so quick to concede the season, if TB was to get injured at some point.  Not me.  I've watched BB do too much over all these years to write this team off at any point.  Even given last night's performance...which, by the way, I did not believe to be an entirely wasted effort on Mallet's part...I fully expect BB to hold onto to Mallet.  I suspect he has a much better handle on this QB's abilities than I do.  I know that he did with Cassel.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

To me there was also a difference between Cassel and Mallett. Cassel looked comfortable in the pocket to me, even in preseason, Mallett has a deer in the headlights look too often and likes to tuck it when he panics. He reminds me of a poor mans Bledsoe without the ability to stand in the pocket. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

These Millennials think that since they play Madden video games and are in 5,000 fantasy leagues that they are smarter or know what is better than BB does himself.

It's so awkward to watch. I guess the younger fans here have somewhat of an excuse, but it's worse watching the ones in their 40s and above doing the same thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

These Millennials think that since they play Madden video games and are in 5,000 fantasy leagues that they are smarter or know what is better than BB does himself.

It's so awkward to watch. I guess the younger fans here have somewhat of an excuse, but it's worse watching the ones in their 40s and above doing the same thing.

[/QUOTE]

What's awkward is that you make excuses for how awful Mallet is.  Why?  Because you want to claim what a brilliant pick it was by BB.  Sorry Queenie.  Put hi on the list of failed drafted QBs.  Every one of them besides the lucky 6th round pick that wasn't even BBs idea.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In summary, this could go either way for Mallet:

1) a bad 1st preseason game without key players, poor offensive line play and no offensive game plan should not condemn a player to death.

2) BB has cut experienced backup QB's in the past in favor of rookies.

Reality: BB will not endanger the success of the team if he knows Mallet can legitimately back up Brady in event of injury. BB knows the reality; it will be revealed quickly enough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In summary, this could go either way for Mallet:

1) a bad 1st preseason game without key players, poor offensive line play and no offensive game plan should not condemn a player to death.

2) BB has cut experienced backup QB's in the past in favor of rookies.

Reality: BB will not endanger the success of the team if he knows Mallet can legitimately back up Brady in event of injury. BB knows the reality; it will be revealed quickly enough.

[/QUOTE]

This^^^^^

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Did you not see the previous 3 preseasons? He's looked the same every preseason regardless how the OL protected him or what WR's he had to throw to. If this was his first preseason you are absolutely correct but we have how many preseason games now? I think we can make a judgement at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Wehave only seen Mallet in very limited play. It takes time to get a rhythm going,etc... I think some are being a bit harsh. Like was said above, if Belichick did not think he can do the job he would be gone

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Wehave only seen Mallet in very limited play. It takes time to get a rhythm going,etc... I think some are being a bit harsh. Like was said above, if Belichick did not think he can do the job he would be gone

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

This is very true but this is a fan discussion board and we are discussing personal opinions on how we feel about him. Nothing we say here will have an impact on whether he stays or goes (honestly their is only 1 person delusional and arrogant enough to believe anything he says will effect anything, trying to smite "trolls"). But, if the end to every discussion is, I believe BB will do the right thing then why are we even here to have discussions? You can end every discussion with, BB will do the right thing, but that's not why fans gather to talk about their beloved team. If you feel Mallett will stay that's fine but lets have a discussion about it not name calling. Why do you think Mallett sticks. What have you seen in the 4 preseasons now that makes you think he won't be the next Davey, O'Connell, or Hoyer and get cut in favor of a promising younger player to save a roster spot?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TheRealBustchise's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What's awkward is that you make excuses for how awful Mallet is.  Why?  Because you want to claim what a brilliant pick it was by BB.  Sorry Queenie.  Put hi on the list of failed drafted QBs.  Every one of them besides the lucky 6th round pick that wasn't even BBs idea.

[/QUOTE]

Umm, Mallett or Garoppolo may never play here, moron.  I don't really care who the back up is and hope to never see one.

I also have no issue with them using a pick to develop one in case they need to for a season or in the future. It's a lot better than overpaying a whiny veteran like VIck, who eats up WAY more of the cap and may never play.

That is of course, if Geno Bust busts out like everyone expects.  He's terrible as is Vick. That compl% from each is some of the worst in the NFL.

Leave it to the Jets to corner the market on that. It just cannot be made up. It can't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TheRealBustchise's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm, Mallett or Garoppolo may never play here, moron.  I don't really care who the back up is and hope to never see one.

I also have no issue with them using a pick to develop one in case they need to for a season or in the future. It's a lot better than overpaying a whiny veteran like VIck, who eats up WAY more of the cap and may never play.

That is of course, if Geno Bust busts out like everyone expects.  He's terrible as is Vick. That compl% from each is some of the worst in the NFL.

Leave it to the Jets to corner the market on that. It just cannot be made up. It can't.

[/QUOTE]

But Queenie, you said that if a team drafts a QB in the second round they want him to start IMMEDIATELY.  At least, that's what you said about Smith... hypocrite much?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

even with less than our best, wouldn't one expect to see more from a 4 year veteran? Granted, it may simply be that he hasn't had many reps - but on the other hand I don't think he has taken advantage of his opportunities either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I wouldnt be suprised to see him get some snaps with the starters next game. I would think BB wants to see how he responds to his last performance. I can't see them cutting him over one lousy pre-season game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldnt be suprised to see him get some snaps with the starters next game. I would think BB wants to see how he responds to his last performance. I can't see them cutting him over one lousy pre-season game.

[/QUOTE]

Mallett should get some more reps.  I'm thinking Brady gets the start and play a quarter or less. Mallett should get a couple of quarters, and give Garoppolo the last quarter.

The QB situation will be laid to rest after the 4th pre-season game

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Mallett is gone after this season one way or another. He has never looked very good in any preseason games on the Pats. He has a cannon but has no touch on the ball. If Jimmy G has a good preseason then if BB can't trade Mallett then he should consider cutting him to save a job for a guy like Malcolm Butler or Brian Tyms if they continue to impress.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I also have no issue with them using a pick to develop one in case they need to for a season or in the future"

Agreed - BUT don't waste a second round pick on a QB. Especially when: 

1. you have glaring needs at other positions (e.g. tight end)

2. you (Belichick) have a track record of drafting good QBs late - in fact your late round QBs have generally been better than your earlier round QB picks over the years. 

That said, what's done is done now and BB being as savvy as he is, I expect he'll look hard at seeing if he can get away with moving Mallet for something, some dried Gatorade mix or something. The next preseason game may give the info needed there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Belichick Strikes Out

Strike One:  Failure at the draft tableL  A third round pick for this guy?

Strike Two:  Failure at development:  By basically never using Mallet in actual game situations, the player's abilities (if they existed to begin with) were paused or regresses.

Strike Three:  Failure to make a move:  He held onto the player for too long.  The player is now worthless.

What a joke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

Quinn is off the market.  Looks like nobody wanted Mallet and he's staying in NE only to leave (or the CFL?) as a FA next year.  I hear BB was offering him up for a conditional 8th rounder.  Not a very good ROI for BB - the best GM in football.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/11/report-brady-quinn-signs-with-dolphins/

Sections
Shortcuts