Mallet is a keeper...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Mallet is a keeper...

Reports on NFL.com are that the Patriots are likely, and hopeful, about keeping back-up Quarterback Ryan Mallet. 

Looks like the Pats are high on Ryan Mallet. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Mallet is a keeper...

Marketing, sales, supply and demand, we love this Kid, he's great, we don't want to part with him but.......

You get the picture.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well mallet needs to play better in preseason and when he gets in a game he needs to throw more then 3 passes in a row with out a pick    When he got in I felt bad for him that he threw a pick that wasn't really his fault.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Love a player who hasn't really shown anything in limited, pro-game snaps?  why?

Pats are gonna keep him because he's the only alternative now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Ya and the back up TE who coughed up the ball was cut after the game. Mallett played very well against Jaguars in pre-season. Let's break this down one more time;

A. Tom Brady retires in 2 years = Mallett ain't going anywhere.

B. Tom Brady plays 3 or 4 more years so Mallett's contract expires in 2 so do the math.

C. Cassel is to Mallett as Mallett is to Cassel.

D. Malletts trade value, whatever it is, is highest right now.

E. Patriots simply must find a way to get back the 4th, 5th and 6th round picks for THIS draft.

F. We need the picks before the draft.

G. Teams that MAY want Mallett will want him BEFORE the draft.

H. If this goes down it will be before, or during, the draft.

As I have said many times, Brady is a short timer.

The majority here have said my senility is kicking in.

If the majority is correct then it makes no sense to allow Mallett to play out his deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

We gave a 3rd for him. I want to see his camp and preseason.  He needs more touch passes.  I'd like to know if he can run any. A scrambling qb isn't something the pats are known for , heck we don't even run for the first down 

reed is out of Philly, al Davis is dead , if Cleveland trades for him the fans will burn the stadium, who wants him?  Personally I hope he hangs in and takes over or Brady one day. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Ya and the back up TE who coughed up the ball was cut after the game. Mallett played very well against Jaguars in pre-season. Let's break this down one more time;

B. Tom Brady plays 3 or 4 more years so Mallett's contract expires in 2 so do the math.

E. Patriots simply must find a way to get back the 4th, 5th and 6th round picks for THIS draft.

If the majority is correct then it makes no sense to allow Mallett to play out his deal.

I) didnt you also think Hoyer was worth a #2?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Nope, check the record.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Well mallet needs to play better in preseason and when he gets in a game he needs to throw more then 3 passes in a row with out a pick    When he got in I felt bad for him that he threw a pick that wasn't really his fault.  

Kep him unless someone offers a great offer. Number 1?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Why? With exception of Hern and maybe Cannon the Pats haven't been the best at drafting in the mid rounds. If you said a couple more into day 2 ok by why must they get back to the mid rounds? How often do we see mid rounders succeed? It's let catching lighting in a bottle most of the time.

Now to the general topic at hand, of course the Pats would float that out. Regardless if they had planned on trading him or not saying you are looking to trade him only hurts you. If you show you want to keep him then you hold the cards if another team is trying to pry him away. No team in their right mind should every say in public they are actively seeking a trade or that a player isn't in their future plans unless they desperately need to get rid of him (cap space/troubled player) or they plan on cutting him the next day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I really hope we keep Mallett, and I'm about 99% certain that we will.  The idea of turning him for a draft pick or two seems great right now with the draft approaching and our lack of picks this year, but think long-term.  This guy was very good at Arkansas, and I bet BB and co. are really excited about having him on the roster. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Why? With exception of Hern and maybe Cannon the Pats haven't been the best at drafting in the mid rounds. If you said a couple more into day 2 ok by why must they get back to the mid rounds? How often do we see mid rounders succeed? It's let catching lighting in a bottle most of the time.

Now to the general topic at hand, of course the Pats would float that out. Regardless if they had planned on trading him or not saying you are looking to trade him only hurts you. If you show you want to keep him then you hold the cards if another team is trying to pry him away. No team in their right mind should every say in public they are actively seeking a trade or that a player isn't in their future plans unless they desperately need to get rid of him (cap space/troubled player) or they plan on cutting him the next day.

It's elementary my dear Watson...

It's actually something that has been preached here, I believe folks like Muzzwell preach at this alter.

And that being, in a salary CAP era, you simply must rebuild through the draft.

Free agents cost money.

Rookies help your CAP while under their initial contracts.

Your 3rd, 4th, and 5th round guys are your "meat and potatoes" of your team.

A record 75 underclassmen have declared for the 2013 draft.

Mel Kiper, like em' or hate em' has stated there is going to be great value in the mid rounds, I would like in on that.

Most "experts" agree that DT is deep so I really don't want to trade back if I don't have to.

If Mallett can be leveraged to gain a few mid round picks then why not.

I would actually be convinced that the Patriots themselves already know when Brady's time is up and a big clue (to me) would be if Mallett stays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Question is...when is Brady's time up? Mallet has 2 years remaining in his contract. What concerns me more however is if this kid is our future , don't you want to start the process of battle testing him now? he can't get meaningful game action which I think slows his progress. He has had 2 years to study and work on technique. At some point you just have to play him. If that time is not until 2-3 years away, maybe more, why keep him? He isn't going to be developing at a rate he would need tp provide us as a starter. 

The point is..if mallet is the heir to Brady why not play him now? Why not cash Brady in for a ton of picks while we can? Why not free up a ton of cap space to pursue quality free agents?  I know Brady is our best chance to win now...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

It's actually something that has been preached here, I believe folks like Muzzwell preach at this alter.

Free agents cost money.

Mel Kiper, like em' or hate em' has stated there is going to be great value in the mid rounds, I would like in on that.

Most "experts" agree that DT is deep so I really don't want to trade back if I don't have to.

I would actually be convinced that the Patriots themselves already know when Brady's time is up and a big clue (to me) would be if Mallett stays.

Exactly.  Mallett was a 3rd rounder with value and huge up-side.  Why would we want to get rid of him?  Now, if some team blows us away with a huge offer, like an early first rounder, then maybe you have to make that deal.  No way that happens though.  I don't see the point of trading a low-cost, high-reward player like Mallett for a couple of mid-round picks.  We would still need to replace him somehow, and it would likely have to be with someone not nearly as talented.  I say keep him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Question is...when is Brady's time up? Mallet has 2 years remaining in his contract. What concerns me more however is if this kid is our future , don't you want to start the process of battle testing him now? he can't get meaningful game action which I think slows his progress. He has had 2 years to study and work on technique. At some point you just have to play him. If that time is not until 2-3 years away, maybe more, why keep him? He isn't going to be developing at a rate he would need tp provide us as a starter. 

The point is..if mallet is the heir to Brady why not play him now? Why not cash Brady in for a ton of picks while we can? Why not free up a ton of cap space to pursue quality free agents?  I know Brady is our best chance to win now...

I wouldn't  trade Brady if you put a gun to my head.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Free agents cost money.

Exactly.  Mallett was a 3rd rounder with value and huge up-side.  Why would we want to get rid of him?  Now, if some team blows us away with a huge offer, like an early first rounder, then maybe you have to make that deal.  No way that happens though.  I don't see the point of trading a low-cost, high-reward player like Mallett for a couple of mid-round picks.  We would still need to replace him somehow, and it would likely have to be with someone not nearly as talented.  I say keep him.

Well, that's the conundrum my friend. If Brady plays 3 or 4 more years then rest assured Mallett walks in 2.

I'll say again, if Brady retire to LA in 2 years then hanging on to Mallett is a no brainer.

All I'm saying is to not let Mallett walk for nothing, that's a wasted 3rd round pick in my opinion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In truth I wouldn't either...that is the point I was making which comes back to mallet. He has 2 years in the system, likely not starting if he is the guy for another 3-4 years, why keep him? He isn't going to be developing or his development will plateau if he is not getting any meaningful game time. he value is a backup, his trade value could be better than where we selected him. That to me is worth more now than 3-4 years from now especially if we can grab cassel or a decent vet to backup now. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Brady's shelf life is the key obviously. If it his in the neighborhood of 3-4 years, then trade mallet. If 2 then hang on to mallet. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

PatsLifer-You better watch out!!Your last paragraph will bring the piranah's-You seem to be a guy not blinded by what Brady has done for the pats in the past.Get rid of him now and get a bunch of picks and get some good FA's.

He may still have a few gallons left in the tank but he is definately on the downslope of his career. A HOF career at that but the realist in me and apparently patslifer is get rid of him.

Thanks for everything Tommy Boy but business is business.

Good Luck Lifer-You're going to need it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I do think lombardi's interest in mallet is valid. I don't think he will part with his first, however, perhaps his 68 and 101?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Haha this trade Brady thought is non-sense, not while he's still got juice left in the tank. Brett Favre used to win MVPs for seasons like Brady had last term. Mallett may be good but I think Brady's got a couple more season's as a top 5 QB the difference even between top 5 and top 10 is still major in the NFL. Anyway BB will make the best choice if that involves Brady being traded so be it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It's starting

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

The truth is Brady played his way out of MVP contention this past year and looked just awful against the Ravens.

Do old QB's get better as they age or do they just get older?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Free agents cost money.

If we were a team without any depth I'd agree but there is depth on this team and BB has found more "meat and potatoes" guys via UDFA then he has in the mid-rounds. You can stack a team with meat and potatoe guys all you want but if you don't have the talent upfront it's going to hurt you big time. What have we all been saying for to often about the D? There are to many versitile "meat and potatoe" type of guys and not enough play makers. There are only so many of those types of guys you can have on the roster and we're full (except for maybe CB). Love, Deadrick, Francis, Arrington, White, Tarp, Kout, Hoom, Cannon, Thomas, Edelman, Wilson those are "meat and potatoe" type of guys. All you are doing is shuffling them in and out with each other while not improving in other area's. I'm sure if you ask anyone including BB would you rather have a 1st rround pick or a 4th, 5th, and 6th he'd take the 1st every time

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Back to the Future of the immobile QB.

Sections
Shortcuts