Mallet Rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Mallet Rumors

Cleveland is very willing to move out of 6. Miami may take them up on it by swapping 1st rounders and giving Cleveland the 54th pick in the 2nd.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

So we trade Mallet.....who's our backup?

Brady has 2 years left people, we can't afford to start the developing thing all over again this late in the process.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

Anyone who thinks any of the QB's coming out in this year's draft are better than Mallett are crazy.  The guy has been a pro for two years on one of the top coached teams in the NFL---playing w/the best QB ever.  How did Aaron Rodgers handle something similar when he got the chance to play?  I am not saying that Mallet will warrant a #1 rounder--it would definitely have to be a team desparate for a QB--and I don't see enough of that.  You trade for Mallett you want him to play now---which he could--but not sacrifice too much.  BB knows that--he will get decent value for him.  Browns and Jags--both could trade out of their picks now and get Mallet plus the 29th pick---Pats move up and w/Jags get a second rounder to boot--Browns it would have to be second rounder next year.  Trade Demps for a 4th or 5th rounder.   Arrggghhhh the options are endless---and we have the right guy steering the ship.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I never understood the argument that Mallett has no value because he has never played a game in the NFL.  So what is the difference if you were to take Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, or Ryan Nassib who have never played a snap in the NFL let alone learn an NFL playbook.  Mallett does have value because he not only had success at Arkansas but he has learned what it takes to be a pro and was mentored by Brady/Belichick.  He'd have the same value if he was behind Manning for a couple of years.  Mallett always had the talent it was his off the field issues that made him drop.  If he were in this draft I would take him over any of the QB's being drafted. 

So if you are a team considering drafting a QB in the first round I would give serious consideration about trading a 2nd for Mallett.  Much better value.  Who knows Mallett could be a dud but so couldn't Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, or Ryan Nassib. 

As we've seen in history teams will overpay for average QB's.  Matt Flynn and Charlie Whitehurst are prime examples.  QB is the most important position in football so teams are willing to take a chance on talent.  Since Brady is locked up for the forseeable future I would move Mallett now if they get their price.  They would risk losing Mallett to free agency if he's looking for his starting shot.  If they nobody meets their price then they keep a talented QB and groom him even more.  Seems like a win/win situation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to tanbass's comment:

I know a lot of people are not fans of Mallet, for whatever reason....doesn't matter. I find it hard to really put any kind of price on a kid who hasn't played a meangful snap in the NFL. We got this kid (basically) as a steal in the 3rd two years ago, due to some off the field BS. So here we have (supposedly) 1st round talent, who has huge potential, and could be a force after a couple more years under Brady.....I am in the "Keep Mallet" camp. How old is he anyway? 24?

I predict Brady is out of the league in 2 years....maybe 3. Mallet just seems like a better replacement than some green kid fresh out of college.

Then, why would you pay more in the draft posiitoin and money for guys who also haven't taken meaningful snaps in the NFL and are in a far weaker draft class?

Your point doesn't make sense.

Just pretend Mallett was coming out right now. He's easily the best of the QB group based off of college tape. Not even close.

I don't get this "meaningful snap" stuff.  Ryan Nassib #8 to Buffalo?   That will trigger more demand for Mallett right there.

I don't want to trade Mallet....period. Why start all over agin with another understudy for Brady's replacement?

His salary is cheap....he already has 2 years under Brady. I feel like his potential is better than anything in this years draft. If Brady is gone after the next 2 seasons.....who would you rather have? Certainly not any of the JAGs from this years draft.

With all due respect...are you just pulling this 2 year number out of your rear portal? How can you be even remotely convinced that Brady is going to be out of football at 37( which he will be after 2 more full seasons)? I am curious to what indicators you are basing your " prediction" on. 4 years maybe? Maybe. Two or three...no way. Mallet would be 28 by the time most reasonable people would begin to anticipate that Bradys end is at hand. Injuries, of course, change everything. Perhaps thats what you believe will happen? Not trying to rag...just wondering why you believe in such a short window.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Brady has 2 years left people, we can't afford to start the developing thing all over again this late in the process.

Brady might have 3-4, there is a reason they extended him 5 more years. If Brady has 3-4 why would Mallet stick around after 14', to be a back up in 15' and maybe 16'? If Brady lasts past 14' there is zero chance Mallett resigns as a backup. He'd move elsewhere.

Better to draft a kid like Tuel who can develop over the next 3-4 years or take a QB in a very QB heavy draft next year like GB did with Rogers.

As for this immediate year, grab a vet backup. If Brady goes down we aren't getting to the SB with or without Mallett anyways

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Brady might have 3-4, there is a reason they extended him 5 more years. If Brady has 3-4 why would Mallet stick around after 14', to be a back up in 15' and maybe 16'? If Brady lasts past 14' there is zero chance Mallett resigns as a backup. He'd move elsewhere.

Better to draft a kid like Tuel who can develop over the next 3-4 years or take a QB in a very QB heavy draft next year like GB did with Rogers.

As for this immediate year, grab a vet backup. If Brady goes down we aren't getting to the SB with or without Mallett anyways

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

UPDATE: NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported the Browns appear to be comfortable with current quarterback Brandon Weeden.

Yes, there ave been some inquiries into Ryan Mallett. My understanding is nothing is close withBrowns/Pats. They like Weeden at this point

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

With all due respect...are you just pulling this 2 year number out of your rear portal? How can you be even remotely convinced that Brady is going two be out of football at 37( which he will be after 2 more full seasons)? I am curious to what indicators you are basing your " prediction" on. 4 years maybe? Maybe. Two or three...no way. Mallet would be 28 by the time most reasonable people would begin to anticipate that Bradys end is at hand. Injuries, of course, change everything. Perhaps thats what you believe will happen? Not trying to rag...just wondering why you believe in such a short window.

I'm not basing my prediction on anything besides my gut feel for Brady retiring earlier than people think. It's a prediction.....not some kind of gospel. We are still allowed to make predictions in a football forum aren't we?? I hope he plays for 5 more years....I just have my doubts that he'll last that long....one big hit at this age, and he's done. He has 2 young kids that don't see their dad too much due to the committment it takes to be a star QB in the NFL. He has a lot of reasons to retire early for...

I'd hate to think what this team would be like with anyone like Kafka or Batch as our back-up over Mallet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

With all due respect...are you just pulling this 2 year number out of your rear portal? How can you be even remotely convinced that Brady is going two be out of football at 37( which he will be after 2 more full seasons)? I am curious to what indicators you are basing your " prediction" on. 4 years maybe? Maybe. Two or three...no way. Mallet would be 28 by the time most reasonable people would begin to anticipate that Bradys end is at hand. Injuries, of course, change everything. Perhaps thats what you believe will happen? Not trying to rag...just wondering why you believe in such a short window.

I'm not basing my prediction on anything besides my gut feel for Brady retiring earlier than people think. It's a prediction.....not some kind of gospel. We are still allowed to make predictions in a football forum aren't we?? I hope he plays for 5 more years....I just have my doubts that he'll last that long....one big hit at this age, and he's done. He has 2 young kids that don't see their dad too much due to the committment it takes to be a star QB in the NFL. He has a lot of reasons to retire early for...

I'd hate to think what this team would be like with anyone like Kafka or Batch as our back-up over Mallet.

Fair enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

With all due respect...are you just pulling this 2 year number out of your rear portal? How can you be even remotely convinced that Brady is going to be out of football at 37( which he will be after 2 more full seasons)? 

With all due respect this is football, he could be done sooner than that, injuries happen... who do you replace him with is a legit question.  How likely is it that Pats will have a high 1st round draft choice a year from now to replace Brady with, or can we hope for lightning in a bottle again?  If Mallett has value to other teams than he certainly has value to the Patriots.  Back up QB's are important, especially when you only carry two QB's on the roster instead of the normal three most teams carry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I don't want to trade Mallet....period. Why start all over agin with another understudy for Brady's replacement?

His salary is cheap....he already has 2 years under Brady. I feel like his potential is better than anything in this years draft. If Brady is gone after the next 2 seasons.....who would you rather have? Certainly not any of the JAGs from this years draft.

I'm with this, if Mallett has no problem playing as a high paid back up for another couple seasons then there is no onus to move him.  If he insists on having a chance to start than the time to move him is now.  It may sound strange to us, but some guys don't mind waiting, you have a great job as an understudy, you make great money, know you're waiting to take over a great team with the best coach and situation available.  If we can sign a solid vet to back up Brady than move Mallett but we'll be watching his cannon arm on another team for the next decade after Brady retires so consider the long term.

It's a very valid point, but what do we care if mallett has a problem or not? He is pats property for 2 more years, they can do with him whatever they wish. This is my feeling unless bb knows for sure mallett is the heir to Brady..then if that is th case you don't trade him regardless if we get a first for him...we all know that franchise qb's are hard to come by. So, the long term approach is valid here I think. And, I think one bb would take. I can't speculate on rumore, if the pats are dangling him or not..but if the pats are dangling him, wouldn't you agree that he is not bradys heir in bb's mind? Bb would trade 10 years of solid QB play for a 1st round pick..would he?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Cleveland might not be interested in ponying up for Mallett, but for them to pretend they aren't interested in replacing Weeden is laughable.  Lombardi lambasted the pick when it was made.  LMAO.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Only BB and the Patriots staff knows if Mallet is capable of taking over for Brady.  If he is trade bait, then I would assume that they see something that tells them that Mallet is not the QB of the future.  So they would be motivated to trade him for a second if possible.

But if Mallet is deemed capable, then why on earth would the Pats trade him?  Brady is getting old, and logically more injury prone and we would need a capable QB to step in and be able to lead the team. Another year under Brady would only improve his potential.

and if Mallet is good enough, then the Pats should play him more to groom him and build confidence... in situational plays to keep the opposition in doubt, in games that we are dominating, when Brady could play but may have monir injury, or end of season games that have no meaning.

So if the Pats trade him, I contend that its because the Pats staff has determined that he will never be our man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I would be surprised if they traded Mallet.  I don't really get any sense that any team really wants him. He has done nothing to prove or disprove that he can play as the #1 QB.  My guess is that the rumors of other team's interest is merely a PR ploy.

Secondly, who would play backup? The Patriots have only 5 picks in this year's draft, 1 in each of the first 3 rounds and 2 in the 7th. It's been said this years draft is weak on QBs.

So, why would the Patriots bother trying to unload Mallet at this time? If Brady goes down, would one want Mallett to step in....or a newly drafted QB?

To me, it's basically creating a void where there doesn't have to be one.  DE/OLB and defensive backs are such a greater priority. Just doesn't make any sense

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:

I would be surprised if they traded Mallet.  I don't really get any sense that any team really wants him. He has done nothing to prove or disprove that he can play as the #1 QB.  My guess is that the rumors of other team's interest is merely a PR ploy.

Secondly, who would play backup? The Patriots have only 5 picks in this year's draft, 1 in each of the first 3 rounds and 2 in the 7th. It's been said this years draft is weak on QBs.

So, why would the Patriots bother trying to unload Mallet at this time? If Brady goes down, would one want Mallett to step in....or a newly drafted QB?

To me, it's basically creating a void where there doesn't have to be one.  DE/OLB and defensive backs are such a greater priority. Just doesn't make any sense

I couldn't agree more.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Only BB and the Patriots staff knows if Mallet is capable of taking over for Brady.  If he is trade bait, then I would assume that they see something that tells them that Mallet is not the QB of the future.  So they would be motivated to trade him for a second if possible.

But if Mallet is deemed capable, then why on earth would the Pats trade him?  Brady is getting old, and logically more injury prone and we would need a capable QB to step in and be able to lead the team. Another year under Brady would only improve his potential.

and if Mallet is good enough, then the Pats should play him more to groom him and build confidence... in situational plays to keep the opposition in doubt, in games that we are dominating, when Brady could play but may have monir injury, or end of season games that have no meaning.

So if the Pats trade him, I contend that its because the Pats staff has determined that he will never be our man. 

The problem is that I see Mallett walking at the end of his contract.  He isn't some UDFA.  The guy has a 1st round arm.  Some team will take a chance on him in FA and make him the starter and there is no way we would shell out any real dough to keep a backup (and honestly why would Mallett stay if he could get a chance to start somewhere else).  So the only rationale for keeping him is you think Brady is going to decline severely in the next 2 seasons.  Given the extension he just signed the FO certainly doesn't seem to think that.  Look I realize the kid could end up being a franchise player, but we aren't in a position to find out unfortunately.

The choice is between getting some compensation now or potentially getting nothing if Brady stays healthy/effective.  Sure it is possible Brady gets hurt and Mallett becomes a star, but that isn't a high probablity outcome.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

if Star falls to 6 at the browns pick i would trade mallett and #29 for the opportunity to slect him and place him next to wilfork.