Mallet Rumors

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Mallet Rumors

Could be just smoke.  I have no doubt they've gotten inquiries, but I would be surprised if they got the price they wanted.  Even though this QB class is weak Mallett is just as much of an unknown and wouldn't be under team control as long as a draft pick and because of the new CBA he cannot be extended right now which decreases his value.  I really hope this happens though.  Reports that the Browns have been spamming us with calls, but they don't want to give us their first rounder and they don't have a 2nd rounder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The rumor is we are asking for a 2nd rounder this year or a 1st rounder next year.  Steep price to pay.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I would be fairly surprised to see someone give up a 2nd for Mallet. He hasn't played, so how would he attract any kind of high pick? Is two years under Brady with zero game time enough to draw heavy interest?

On the other hand, what is Mallet going to be like with 3-4 years under Brady? Does he have the physical tools to be great? I know he's got a rocket of an arm.....is he worth keeping around like GB did with Rogers? Has anyone in the Pats organization confirmed that this is (not) Brady's replacement? Or are all these just media hype & rumors?

Guess we'll find out pretty soon....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

The rumor is we are asking for a 2nd rounder this year or a 1st rounder next year.  Steep price to pay.

I think that BB would take a 2nd this year along with a 5th this year and maybe a third next year. However the best move would be trading Mallett and their 1rst round pick to Cleveland for Sheard and their first round pick. It works out well for both teams. Cleveland wants to trade Sheard because he isn't the QB sacking OLB/DE they thought he would be,and we could use the pick up in the front of the draft to mess with the Jets! Anytime you get the oportunity to mess with NYJ it's a win,win situation....

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

PS Mallet makes 642K and 744K in 2013 and 2014.

Compare that to what a top 10 or 1st r pick QB makes in 2013.  It's easily 1.5 million less.

This is a huge factor in this decision for a team.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/ryan-mallett/

Yes but a 1st round pick they get to control for 5 years versus 2 of Mallett.  More than cancels out that effect imo.  Consider that teams are rumored to want to trade into the bottom of the 1st round to draft a QB they think could be available in the second just for the additional year of team control.  This is a much bigger factor than you realize as you don't seem to consider it at all in any of your posts about Mallett.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I know a lot of people are not fans of Mallet, for whatever reason....doesn't matter. I find it hard to really put any kind of price on a kid who hasn't played a meangful snap in the NFL. We got this kid (basically) as a steal in the 3rd two years ago, due to some off the field BS. So here we have (supposedly) 1st round talent, who has huge potential, and could be a force after a couple more years under Brady.....I am in the "Keep Mallet" camp. How old is he anyway? 24?

I predict Brady is out of the league in 2 years....maybe 3. Mallet just seems like a better replacement than some green kid fresh out of college.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If he is supposed to be Brady's replacement, it likely won't happen until he's 28 or 29 which not only seems unfair to him, but dumb by BB to have a 1st rd projected QB in 2011, to become a permanent back up.    At the end of it, that's completely unfair to Mallett to never get a chance to compete to be a starter just because there was a rumor he tested positive for coke.  I am still not sure that was even the truth.

Jeff Howe is confirming the Browns are inquiring about Mallett.  So, it's out there. Cleveland has no 2nd rd pick this year, so they'd need to pony up one for 2014.

But......wait for it.....Cleveland could easily swap spots with NE in Rd 1, get Mallett, and then trade into Rd 2.

So, they'd get their QB of the future, could still deal Brandon Weeden who has cheap 1st rd money under the rookei cap from last year and move on in that way.

The whole point of dealing Mallett this year, would be to get no less than a 2nd rder, IMO.

I would not take a 2nd rder next year. I'd tell Lombardi to go get me a 2nd rder and Mallett is yours.

Done for a 2nd. 

I don't like the idea of getting Sheard. If he isn't what the browns want, why should we?

cleveland doesn't have A 2nd but that is easily corrected if indeed they can trade their first to go way down in round 1 or out all together. 

this smells like bb driving up the price, which is what he should do. Although mallett has only 4 nfl passes to his credit, that is 4 more than any prospect in today's draft class, and as Russ said,nthe was once thought of as a1st round talent. 

Cmon BN, make it happen!

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

I know a lot of people are not fans of Mallet, for whatever reason....doesn't matter. I find it hard to really put any kind of price on a kid who hasn't played a meangful snap in the NFL. We got this kid (basically) as a steal in the 3rd two years ago, due to some off the field BS. So here we have (supposedly) 1st round talent, who has huge potential, and could be a force after a couple more years under Brady.....I am in the "Keep Mallet" camp. How old is he anyway? 24?

I predict Brady is out of the league in 2 years....maybe 3. Mallet just seems like a better replacement than some green kid fresh out of college.

Then, why would you pay more in the draft posiitoin and money for guys who also haven't taken meaningful snaps in the NFL and are in a far weaker draft class?

Your point doesn't make sense.

Just pretend Mallett was coming out right now. He's easily the best of the QB group based off of college tape. Not even close.

I don't get this "meaningful snap" stuff.  Ryan Nassib #8 to Buffalo?   That will trigger more demand for Mallett right there.

I don't want to trade Mallet....period. Why start all over agin with another understudy for Brady's replacement?

His salary is cheap....he already has 2 years under Brady. I feel like his potential is better than anything in this years draft. If Brady is gone after the next 2 seasons.....who would you rather have? Certainly not any of the JAGs from this years draft.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I don't want to trade Mallet....period. Why start all over agin with another understudy for Brady's replacement?

His salary is cheap....he already has 2 years under Brady. I feel like his potential is better than anything in this years draft. If Brady is gone after the next 2 seasons.....who would you rather have? Certainly not any of the JAGs from this years draft.

I'm with this, if Mallett has no problem playing as a high paid back up for another couple seasons then there is no onus to move him.  If he insists on having a chance to start than the time to move him is now.  It may sound strange to us, but some guys don't mind waiting, you have a great job as an understudy, you make great money, know you're waiting to take over a great team with the best coach and situation available.  If we can sign a solid vet to back up Brady than move Mallett but we'll be watching his cannon arm on another team for the next decade after Brady retires so consider the long term.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

PS Mallet makes 642K and 744K in 2013 and 2014.

Compare that to what a top 10 or 1st r pick QB makes in 2013.  It's easily 1.5 million less.

This is a huge factor in this decision for a team.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/ryan-mallett/

Yes but a 1st round pick they get to control for 5 years versus 2 of Mallett.  More than cancels out that effect imo.  Consider that teams are rumored to want to trade into the bottom of the 1st round to draft a QB they think could be available in the second just for the additional year of team control.  This is a much bigger factor than you realize as you don't seem to consider it at all in any of your posts about Mallett.

But isn't getting mallet a better option? You have him under contract for 2 years at a cheap price. You use the first year to evaluate, and if he is your franchise, you can extend him. If not, you don't get killed on the dead money like you would if you draft Geno in round 1 if he doesn't pan out. Seems to me mallett is the much safer route.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Rusty I agree with you on trading Mallett. However no to Dion Jordan! Read today he is one of the most overrated players in the draft. He was 3rd last year in tackles behind the LOS. Not 3rd in Div 1, but 3rd on his team! I also read that a big part of Lombardis continued interest in Mallett despite limited NFL playing time is that his son was employed by the Pats the past couple of years, and has seen Mallett practive and grow every day. Should be interesting tonite!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Hope BB would listen to offers for 2014 draft picks. My only concern is which Jag gets to back-up Brady (remember the Jets have 4 on the roster LOL). My guess is BB could swap firsts, but he might have to throw in a 5th. Big question is why can't he smokecreen some team to trade down with that needs QB, but is not a top 20 pick and who is BB targeting at pick #6 (trade this one down if acquired too?).

Time to start my unofficial Mayock "upside", "non-stop motor" and "intangibles" drinking game.......I will be drunk by 8:35 if all goes well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Mallett was drafted as he was a solid value with the 3rd rd pick.

If Brady had retired, wise move.

If Brady stays, valuable chip.

Both options are wise moves.

Those that say Mallet has never played in the NFL so is worthless make me scratch my balding dome.

Every QB in this years draft has never played in the NFL but they are worth 1st, 2nd, 3rd round value with hundreds of thousands of dollars and signing bonuses.

I can not, have not and will not be able to wrap my head around that type of "new" math.

The Patriots want a 2nd this year...or a 1st next year. Simple enough...you want him..pay up or he ain't going anywhere and you can stay with Weeden or grab EJ Emanual...and good luck with that.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

CLE can't give that. They do not have a second. 2014 first and 2013 third would still be a good trade I think.