Mallet Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Mallet Trade

maybe other teams are interested in Mallet? there are reports saying that Bills, Raiders, and Jaguars, would like to trade for Matt Flynn, maybe one of these teams could trade for Mallet too?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Mallet Trade

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

maybe other teams are interested in Mallet? there are reports saying that Bills, Raiders, and Jaguars, would like to trade for Matt Flynn, maybe one of these teams could trade for Mallet too?

maybe the jets-they are starting a collection over there

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Keep him he'll have more value after this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

how does a guy who has never plays have value to begin with? where do pats fans get this notion that mallett is some major talent that teams will want? i don't get that

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

how does a guy who has never plays have value to begin with? where do pats fans get this notion that mallett is some major talent that teams will want? i don't get that

How does a crappy QB like Geno Smith or EJ Manuel go in Rd 1?  Each sucks in terms of the normal QB class.

Newsflash for dummies: Mallett was taken before the CBA was done and would have gone 1st rd minus maturity questions, which means, in a thin QB market now, he has great value as a chip.

this doesn't answer anything with regards to mallett on the pro level-why would any team be so enamored with this guy? what exactly has he done? if any team gave anything more than a 3rd rd pick they would be batty and that is probably stretching it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

How? This is the weakest QB FA in years, one of the weakest QB drafts ever, there are a large number of QB needy teams, he's still dirty cheap for 2 more years, and he's still young. Unless Brady gets hurt and Mallett pulls a Cassel then his value will only get worse with a much, much strong QB draft next year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

You are right about the fans but not so right about value in general. Mallet had value the year he was drafted. He has an arm. He was  good QB in college and there was talk about how high he should go. He ended up falling further than many thought.

He has not magically lost value in the last couple of years. If anything he has added some value in the fact he has been in the league and so had to learn a system and prepare for games. That he is behind TB is not his fault any more than Rodgers when he was behind Favre. He has also at least been able to impress the Pats that he was better than the other QBs he was competing with for #2.

There is no reason to think his potential has been downgraded.

But you are right that many fans hype themselves up thinking he will draw a high market value. Well, who knows really - maybe some positive talk as circulated about what he looks like in practice. But I think there is more hype here in these threads.

I would expect they keep him until one of a few things happen:

1. someone else is willing to give up more than a 3rd or we accpet less because he would walk soon otherwise.

2. he falls out of favor and is cut because someone else beats him out for #2

3. he walks at the end of his ontract fo rmore money and a shot somewhere else

4. He stays around long enough to compete for TB's job when TB finally steps down

My guess is he wont wait for #4. It will either be a trade or he walks at the end of his contract. I could imagine a team giving up a 2nd rounder but I can imagine him being traded for a 3rd or a 2nd in the following year. I would not be shocked by a 4th but I am not expecting that.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

From kffl.com. The plot thickens.

Patriots | Ryan Mallett being shopped
    Wed, 27 Mar 2013 05:14:12 -0700

The New England Patriots are seeking a first-round pick, or maybe a second rounder, for backup QB Ryan Mallett

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to chiefret's comment:

The New England Patriots are seeking a first-round pick, or maybe a second rounder, for backup QB Ryan Mallett 

Indeed it does. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

How does a crappy QB like Geno Smith or EJ Manuel go in Rd 1?  Each sucks in terms of the normal QB class.

Newsflash for dummies: Mallett was taken before the CBA was done and would have gone 1st rd minus maturity questions, which means, in a thin QB market now, he has great value as a chip.

this doesn't answer anything with regards to mallett on the pro level-why would any team be so enamored with this guy? what exactly has he done? if any team gave anything more than a 3rd rd pick they would be batty and that is probably stretching it

While there is absolutely nothing inaccurrate about what you said in bold I would simply ask that you take the follwoing into consideration and think upon what you wrote.

Has ANY drafted collegiate QB EVER done ANYTHING at the pro level "prior" to being drafted #1 overall in the history of the NFL draft? Yet for the past 4 years in a row, a QB has gone #1 overall. Also, I believe since 2003 there has been an overall average of approx. 3 QB's taken in the 1st round. I am not even going to go look into the 2nd round. However I am assuming you think everyone of those orginizationes are batty for taking a QB prior to Rd. 3? Didn't Eli go #1 overall? What did he do at the "pro level" to warrent being selected #1 overall or in the 1st round even?

Over the final two seasons of their college careers prior to entering the draft this is what both Eli Manning and Ryan Mallet accomplished.

Eli Manning - Ole Miss

Att       Comp      Pct         Yds       TD      INT     Ratg

922      554        60.2         7001     50      25      136.8

Ryan Mallet - Arkansas

Att       Comp     Pct         Yds       TD      INT      Ratg

814      491       60.3        7493      62      19       158.1

Manning came out as a Sr. While Mallet came out as a Jr. So Mallet put up better numbers while being younger and being in his new offensive system only two seasons as he transfered to Arkansas from Michigan. Manning was in his system for 4 seasons. Both QB's played against SEC competition. Nfldraftscout projected Eli Manning as a Rd 1 projection and Mallet as a Rd 1-2 when they came out.

Mallet slid due to cost of 1st round draft picks at the time complicated by unsubstantiated drug rumors leading many to speculate he was a Ryan Leaf or Marinovich drug problem waiting to happen.

Jump to the near present. Mallet beat out Brian Hoyer for the backup job to Tom Brady. Brian Hoyer was just tendered a 2nd rounder level by Arizona this current offseason free agent period to protect him from being signed away. If Brian Hoyer was worth a 2nd round tender level yet he was beat out by a better player in Ryan Mallet, then what does that make Ryan Mallet worth?

Add to all of this the fact that it is considered a very weak QB drfat class by the so called experts with barely a single QB carrying a Rd. 1 grade for "talent". The QB's that are being projected in the 1st round have been placed there largely out of need rather than talent from my understanding of articles I've read. I do not claim to personally have any evaluation of this years QB's as I have not paid much attention to them. Pile on some additional favorable conditions of it also being a weak QB FA class and one can at least start to understand some of the rumors.

While Mallet has no real NFL regular season game footage to speak of to prove he "can" get it done. He also does not really have any of that same footage to say that he "can't" get it done either. Unlike some of the other QB's floated about as FA's or trade bait who do have plenty of film showing they "can't" get it done.

I have absolutely no idea how good Mallet is/isn't/will be or won't but I can clearly see the logic in building the case and argument for why he "might" be worth the draft currency being mentioned for him.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to chiefret's comment:

They were only asking for a 2nd before and now they've upgraded their demand >.>

Sounds like to me they have more suitors then we know of. I smell him being traded for an early 2nd round pick right after Geno gets taken off the board

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

While there is absolutely nothing inaccurrate about what you said in bold I would simply ask that you take the follwoing into consideration and think upon what you wrote.

Has ANY drafted collegiate QB EVER done ANYTHING at the pro level "prior" to being drafted #1 overall in the history of the NFL draft? Yet for the past 4 years in a row, a QB has gone #1 overall. Also, I believe since 2003 there has been an overall average of approx. 3 QB's taken in the 1st round. I am not even going to go look into the 2nd round. However I am assuming you think everyone of those orginizationes are batty for taking a QB prior to Rd. 3? Didn't Eli go #1 overall? What did he do at the "pro level" to warrent being selected #1 overall or in the 1st round even?

Over the final two seasons of their college careers prior to entering the draft this is what both Eli Manning and Ryan Mallet accomplished.

Eli Manning - Ole Miss

Att       Comp      Pct         Yds       TD      INT     Ratg

922      554        60.2         7001     50      25      136.8

Ryan Mallet - Arkansas

Att       Comp     Pct         Yds       TD      INT      Ratg

814      491       60.3        7493      62      19       158.1

Manning came out as a Sr. While Mallet came out as a Jr. So Mallet put up better numbers while being younger and being in his new offensive system only two seasons as he transfered to Arkansas from Michigan. Manning was in his system for 4 seasons. Both QB's played against SEC competition. Nfldraftscout projected Eli Manning as a Rd 1 projection and Mallet as a Rd 1-2 when they came out.

Mallet slid due to cost of 1st round draft picks at the time complicated by unsubstantiated drug rumors leading many to speculate he was a Ryan Leaf or Marinovich drug problem waiting to happen.

Jump to the near present. Mallet beat out Brian Hoyer for the backup job to Tom Brady. Brian Hoyer was just tendered a 2nd rounder level by Arizona this current offseason free agent period to protect him from being signed away. If Brian Hoyer was worth a 2nd round tender level yet he was beat out by a better player in Ryan Mallet, then what does that make Ryan Mallet worth?

Add to all of this the fact that it is considered a very weak QB drfat class by the so called experts with barely a single QB carrying a Rd. 1 grade for "talent". The QB's that are being projected in the 1st round have been placed there largely out of need rather than talent from my understanding of articles I've read. I do not claim to personally have any evaluation of this years QB's as I have not paid much attention to them. Pile on some additional favorable conditions of it also being a weak QB FA class and one can at least start to understand some of the rumors.

While Mallet has no real NFL regular season game footage to speak of to prove he "can" get it done. He also does not really have any of that same footage to say that he "can't" get it done either. Unlike some of the other QB's floated about as FA's or trade bait who do have plenty of film showing they "can't" get it done.

I have absolutely no idea how good Mallet is/isn't/will be or won't but I can clearly see the logic in building the case and argument for why he "might" be worth the draft currency being mentioned for him.

Always a true pleasure reading a well thought out and well documented post. And you are exactly right of course. Mallett holds something like 16 passing records at Arkansas. He lit up his Pro Day, lit it up. He just put on another show 2 weeks ago throwing at the recent Arkansas Pro Day.

And yet....someone will take Geno Smith in the top 10 this draft and throw a boat load of money at him to boot. Also there are concerns over his accuracy and ability to read NFL Defenses.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It is my understanding, and I may be mistaken, that absent the off-field issues Mallet projected as a late 1st rd or 2nd rd pick.  If this is true then it's not inconceivable that he would draw 1st or 2nd round trade interest since as far as I can tell his behavior has been beyond reproach since the Pats signed him.  I'm guessing this would not go unnoticed by the GMs of other teams.

As in most posts of this kind, I am merely speculating here so please take that with however many grains of salt you think it warrants.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

What has any QB coming out of college done??? If geno smith and EJ manual are worthy of a 1st round pick coming out of college. What is a guy who sat behind the best QB in the league soaking up every bit of information there is worth??? My guess, at worst mallet is worth a 2nd round pick and is at best worth a high 1st. Mallett was going to be a 1st round pick in his draft class but was third rounder because of some character issues he had. Mallet is more of a sure thing than any other QB in the draft. That is why it is believed that mallett can be traded for anything from a mid to high second round pick all the way up to a high first. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Ryan's family stated after the 2011 draft that Miami backed out of taking Ryan at 16 overall (I think that was the spot) after telling Ryan they would take him.

Sure, the rumours hurt him and in hind sight sitting for 2 years will end up being the best thing for him.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't think we'll see it, but the smart move might be to deal Brady.  Not a hater by any means, but his value is still very high, this team can win with Mallett although it would take a step back this year on offense. By next year with Mallett having a year of real game experience and Brady what, 37, Mallett could be just as good and ascending.

What's Brady's trade value? He's a superb QB, still near the top of his game, he's a marquee name who brings instant credibility. If a 28 year old cornerback coming off an ACL is worth a 1 and a 2...

At least that much.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I don't think we'll see it, but the smart move might be to deal Brady.  Not a hater by any means, but his value is still very high, this team can win with Mallett although it would take a step back this year on offense. By next year with Mallett having a year of real game experience and Brady what, 37, Mallett could be just as good and ascending.

What's Brady's trade value? He's a superb QB, still near the top of his game, he's a marquee name who brings instant credibility. If a 28 year old cornerback coming off an ACL is worth a 1 and a 2...

At least that much.

Wow.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

At least that much.

I understand your point completely and absolutely agree with you in that it is extremely unlikely that it will happen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

How? This is the weakest QB FA in years, one of the weakest QB drafts ever, there are a large number of QB needy teams, he's still dirty cheap for 2 more years, and he's still young. Unless Brady gets hurt and Mallett pulls a Cassel then his value will only get worse with a much, much strong QB draft next year

even if that is all true, Mallett has done zip.  It's not like any NFL team has had a chance to look at his performance over a season, like Cassel. Cassel had one solid season under his belt and capitalized on it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

cassel never had a first round grade.