Mallet Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Mallet Trade

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Keep him he'll have more value after this season.

How? This is the weakest QB FA in years, one of the weakest QB drafts ever, there are a large number of QB needy teams, he's still dirty cheap for 2 more years, and he's still young. Unless Brady gets hurt and Mallett pulls a Cassel then his value will only get worse with a much, much strong QB draft next year

even if that is all true, Mallett has done zip.  It's not like any NFL team has had a chance to look at his performance over a season, like Cassel. Cassel had one solid season under his belt and capitalized on it.

And what have this years draft picks done in their NFL careers? More so, in reference to his original post, how would another year on the bench behind Brady increase his value compared to this year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Potential vs potential. We don't know what Geno nor mallet will do if given the reigns to run an offense in the pros. Or any other QB coming out this year. 

we do know 1 thing however....mallett is locked up for 2 more years at a very reasonable rate while Geno is going to require the big bucks To sign being projected in the top 5.

So, if you are a smart nfl GM, what do you do? 

Persinally, I spend a second on mallett, bring him in and let him compete without breaking the bank. I can then still use my 1st to draft at an other area of need or, trade back for a 2nd and another pick. To me that is geeing a good GM. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Potential vs potential. We don't know what Geno nor mallet will do if given the reigns to run an offense in the pros. Or any other QB coming out this year. 

we do know 1 thing however....mallett is locked up for 2 more years at a very reasonable rate while Geno is going to require the big bucks To sign being projected in the top 5.

So, if you are a smart nfl GM, what do you do? 

Persinally, I spend a second on mallett, bring him in and let him compete without breaking the bank. I can then still use my 1st to draft at an other area of need or, trade back for a 2nd and another pick. To me that is geeing a good GM. 

This is true and even more so it's looking like Oak might grab Geno and dump Palmer. If you are one of Phi, Buf, Jax, Clev, who are all looking for QB upgrades and you can spend a 2nd on a QB would you spend it on a guy like Barkley or Manuel who scouts just aren't impressed by or a guy who had top 20 talent but dropped due to maturity issues and has since been on his best behavior? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

But it doesnt work that way. The question is does one of the teams needing a qb value Mallett? It only takes one team/GM, but does a team like the Bills trade a #1 for Malett or take a qb in rd 2?

Buff, Jack and the Raiders each have a different GM than they did the year Mallet was drafted. They never interviewed him, never worked him out. There is very limited film on him the past 2 years. 

Smith or Barkley might go in round 1 because a GM believes in them after workouts, interviews and study. They dont have that with Mallet. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

But it doesnt work that way. The question is does one of the teams needing a qb value Mallett? It only takes one team/GM, but does a team like the Bills trade a #1 for Malett or take a qb in rd 2?

Buff, Jack and the Raiders each have a different GM than they did the year Mallet was drafted. They never interviewed him, never worked him out. There is very limited film on him the past 2 years. 

Smith or Barkley might go in round 1 because a GM believes in them after workouts, interviews and study. They dont have that with Mallet. 

this is all true too. But the reverse could also be true that some of the scouts  could have watched Mallett pre-draft and still have strong feelings about him or the GM's currently on the teams could have interviewed him before (I don't remember who did what back then honestly) and could feel strongly about Mallett. As you said it only takes one team to take a look at who's in the draft and say, you know I liked this Mallett kid before but he had red flags that have since disappeared. It could either way, but I can't stand when people bring up that he hasn't played meaningful time in the NFL so teams wouldn't trade for him and would rather draft a player. To me that's completely faulty logic because as lifer said it's a potential to potential comparison not a potential to proven comparison

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

this is all true too. But the reverse could also be true that some of the scouts  could have watched Mallett pre-draft and still have strong feelings about him or the GM's currently on the teams could have interviewed him before (I don't remember who did what back then honestly) and could feel strongly about Mallett. As you said it only takes one team to take a look at who's in the draft and say, you know I liked this Mallett kid before but he had red flags that have since disappeared. It could either way, but I can't stand when people bring up that he hasn't played meaningful time in the NFL so teams wouldn't trade for him and would rather draft a player. To me that's completely faulty logic because as lifer said it's a potential to potential comparison not a potential to proven comparison

I dont think a gm trades a #1 or #2 on 3 year old info and opinion. As said it only takes one gm, and Lombardi was with Oakland as they made mistake after mistake. I dont see it, but maybe Lombardi strikes again.

If it happens, who do you speculate as the backup? Cant be Kafka, can it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

At the expense of being called a downer yet again, it also begs the question why didnt BB get Mallett snaps to build his pitential value?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I dont think a gm trades a #1 or #2 on 3 year old info and opinion. As said it only takes one gm, and Lombardi was with Oakland as they made mistake after mistake. I dont see it, but maybe Lombardi strikes again.

They'd had to pick up another back up. They could go for a vet or take another chance on a SEC QB falling due to similar happenings as Mallett, Tyler Wilson or Glennon in the 3rd. If they get a 2nd for Mallett would you be disappointed if they spent a 3rd on a backup with similar traits? Or another QB they've been linked to is Tuel from Washington State. Here's a kid who had 1st round potential before a knee injury in 11'. After that he split time in 12' as Washington was planning for the next QB to come up but Tuel has starting QB upside. Now I'm not calling him Brady so please don't get me wrong but they are similar situations where they were performing well but who's stock has dropped because of splitting time at QB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

They'd had to pick up another back up. They could go for a vet or take another chance on a SEC QB falling due to similar happenings as Mallett, Tyler Wilson or Glennon in the 3rd. If they get a 2nd for Mallett would you be disappointed if they spent a 3rd on a backup with similar traits? Or another QB they've been linked to is Tuel from Washington State. Here's a kid who had 1st round potential before a knee injury in 11'. After that he split time in 12' as Washington was planning for the next QB to come up but Tuel has starting QB upside. Now I'm not calling him Brady so please don't get me wrong but they are similar situations where they were performing well but who's stock has dropped because of splitting time at QB

Even if they get a 2nd from a Malett trade, I question if the PAts go into the season with a rookie as the primary back up. I also think they HAVE TO think DL, WR and CB in the draft. Maybe if a QB falls to the 7th rd?

Is McCoy a possible back up here? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Should a Mallet trade materiaize I would think BB will pick up a vet FA QB.  Not sure what the draft would produce.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Maybe the Jets will cut one of their 53 QBS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

If Mallet has improved, like people say, than we need a reliable backup for 3-4 games if TB goes down. It is not worth the risk to the season for the chance to get a second rounder. Bill Polian rightly lost his job because there was no capable back up on the team when Manning went down. Insurance is necessary. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think Ariz and Oak most likely partners as they have throw the ball down field offense.  

I think if a trade materializes, Bills and Jets also in need, but I dont see the Pats trading with either of them. Jacksonvile still has Gabbert, and I cant see them trading the #2 or #33 for Mallet.

Browns still fel like a stretch to me, other than Lombardi factor. Is Mallett better than Weeden?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think Ariz and Oak most likely partners as they have throw the ball down field offense.  

I think if a trade materializes, Bills and Jets also in need, but I dont see the Pats trading with either of them. Jacksonvile still has Gabbert, and I cant see them trading the #2 or #33 for Mallet.

Browns still fel like a stretch to me, other than Lombardi factor. Is Mallett better than Weeden?

I can't see them trading to the Jets but why not the Bills? They traded Bledsoe there

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Peter lalich QB Caifornia (PA) 7th round pick to UDFA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

If Mallet has improved, like people say, than we need a reliable backup for 3-4 games if TB goes down. It is not worth the risk to the season for the chance to get a second rounder. Bill Polian rightly lost his job because there was no capable back up on the team when Manning went down. Insurance is necessary. 

If the Pats are willing to deal Mallett (which it looks like they are) then I don't think he can come in and take over for Brady (ala Brady in 01'). If Brady goes down for significant time then the seasons sunk anyways so if you can get a high 2nd which turns into a starter why not? Better then hanging on to Mallett and if the worst should happen not win the SB anyways. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Lalich is very similar to mallett great arm and good at x's and o's 6'6" pretty accurate, just some offfield concerns.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

If the Pats are willing to deal Mallett (which it looks like they are) then I don't think he can come in and take over for Brady (ala Brady in 01'). If Brady goes down for significant time then the seasons sunk anyways so if you can get a high 2nd which turns into a starter why not? Better then hanging on to Mallett and if the worst should happen not win the SB anyways. 

Leaving the cupboard bear is not a good strategy. We have no back-up in waiting. Cassel and Hoyer are already tied up. Losing every game, if TB goes down because we have a Curtis Painter type back up, is not acceptable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Leaving the cupboard bear is not a good strategy. We have no back-up in waiting. Cassel and Hoyer are already tied up. Losing every game, if TB goes down because we have a Curtis Painter type back up, is not acceptable.

worked for the Colts. But I ask, without Brady do you think we win a SB? If the answer is no, then the goal of the Pats is to win a SB not get into the playoffs. We aren't the Phins or Buf or KC who just wants to make it to the playoffs, the Pats goal is to win the whole thing. If Brady goes down that's not going to happen. So, why not use a chip to get an higher draft pick player who can aid in that goal instead of holding onto a player who won't accomplish that goal anyways?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

worked for the Colts. But I ask, without Brady do you think we win a SB? If the answer is no, then the goal of the Pats is to win a SB not get into the playoffs. We aren't the Phins or Buf or KC who just wants to make it to the playoffs, the Pats goal is to win the whole thing. If Brady goes down that's not going to happen. So, why not use a chip to get an higher draft pick player who can aid in that goal instead of holding onto a player who won't accomplish that goal anyways?

gee, there is a guy on this board that says this is a top 3 defense, and that the Pats woes are due to Brady.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

gee, there is a guy on this board that says this is a top 3 defense, and that the Pats woes are due to Brady.

Yeah I know which is sad. If we had a better D (ala 01' or 03') then if Brady went down I'd still give them a punters shot but not right now. Funny thing is Babe use to call me a Rusty clone and actually called me Rusty a couple of times. Not sure how he could have ever thought that considering I still put the teams success on Brady's shoulders and have be championing rebuilding the D back to the SB year caliber D's for years now

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply dont see a lot of QB's available at this time that could realistically come in and play. Kolb? Thigpen? Leinart? I get the Cassel comments, Pats went 11-6 blah, blah....but if Mallet is going to be dealt, I would like to see some one in for camps, etc...the sooner the better

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Jaguars explored acquiring Flynn

Submitted by Ryan O'Halloran on March 28, 2013 - 4:24pm Ryan O'Halloran's Blog J View this blog post on the All-Access Members site

The Jaguars explored the possibility of acquiring Matt Flynn but ultimately decided not to pursue a trade for the Seattle Seahawks' backup quarterback.

Flynn and the Jaguars were linked in a CBS Sports report earlier this week as “the most likely destination.”

Because new Jaguars coach Gus Bradley was formerly Seattle’s defensive coordinator and the Jaguars’ quarterback spot has been declared an open competition, the obligatory dots were connected.

A source said the Jaguars did their “due diligence,” regarding Flynn.

Flynn would have made sense in the fact he would have challenged Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne, guaranteeing a spirited training camp competition.

But the move would have been questionable since the Jaguars are committed to building through the draft and Flynn’s contract carries salary cap numbers of $7.25 million this year and $8.25 million in 2014.

The Jaguars are coveting this year’s seven picks as the beginning building blocks and an ideal situation would have them trading out of the No. 2 overall spot to gather more selections.

Flynn has less playing experience than Gabbert and Henne.

Flynn turns 28 on June 20 and has started only two games – one apiece with Green Bay in 2010 and 2011. Henne and Gabbert have 37 and 24 starts, respectively.

Despite the short resume, Flynn signed a three-year, $19.5 million contract with the Seahawks last off season. But he was beat out by rookie Russell Wilson in training camp.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

If Brady goes down, I still give them a shot with Mallet if everyone else (Gronk, Hern etc.) is healthy and the D comes around. We haven't seen Mallet play but if things had broke the Pats way in 08 and they reached the playoffs with Cassel, anything was possible. How many of us gave TB a shot to take us to a SB after Bledsoe went down? It is possible! And we need to be prepared if these circumstances arise.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Action-Jackson. Show Action-Jackson's posts

Sections
    Shortcuts