Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...

Mallett tossed a 65 yd bomb to Slater in practice....from what I understand Mallett is a real student of the game(Film study,weights,practicing long & hard)....from what I understand he's a VERY competative individule with a little swaggar to boot...I hope Ryan really digs in & goes after it when training camp starts pushing Brady to not rest on his laurels & keep that competative spark burning even more intense....Walsh did the same thing with Montana by bringing in a hungry Steve Young....both wanted to start & pushed each other hard....MAN, I pray this works out the same way & Mallett can step in & lead the ship when Brady is done OR gets traded for a bunch of draft picks....REMEMBER, Montana got traded too!!!! If Bill is happy/confident in how Mallett progresses(3-4 yrs down the line as he's only 22) & he can trade Brady to a west coast team that is only a QB away & get 2-1sts & 2-2nds...Bill would do it for the team....
    What are you guys thoughts on this??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...

I think the trade would never happen for ethier one,its time to start developing a QB and keeping  them ,cause brady has probally 3-5 years left unless he decides to call it quits before that.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Where did you get the info on the 65 yard bomb?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

That's what I'm saying....IF Mallett instills confidence in Bill after sitting behind Brady for 3-4 years,learning the system & developing his talents...

I see Brady with the Pats for a minimum of 3 more years....IF Mallett is the real deal I could see Bill trading a 37/38 year old Brady for a bunch of high picks to strengthen the future of the team.....

Granted, a lot of "IF's" there but it could play out rather nicely down the road....time will tell on Mallett.....

My guess is Hoyer gets traded next year UNLESS they go to this stupid 18 game season where QB depth will be essential to have...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

ESPN blog under Boston heading...reports on few observations from Mike R.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

hahahahahahahahahahahah
    you should learn how to spell.
    and its too ealry for any of this speculation...  Brady wont get traded, and he will take us to the promised land at least once more... young team, veteran leaders, SUPERBOWL OF BUST for the next 5 years, at least

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...:
    That's what I'm saying....IF Mallett instills confidence in Bill after sitting behind Brady for 3-4 years,learning the system & developing his talents... I see Brady with the Pats for a minimum of 3 more years....IF Mallett is the real deal I could see Bill trading a 37/38 year old Brady for a bunch of high picks to strengthen the future of the team..... Granted, a lot of "IF's" there but it could play out rather nicely down the road....time will tell on Mallett..... My guess is Hoyer gets traded next year UNLESS they go to this stupid 18 game season where QB depth will be essential to have...
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

In no way should the Pats EVER trade Brady unless he wants to move on. That would be just as stupid as trading Ruth was.

And Mallet will never come close to doing what Brady has done. Mark my words.

Nothing is going to play out nicely. When Brady is gone, it's back to wishing and hoping. And nobody is going to give up much for Hoyer. He has done nothing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Babe...must be nice going through life with such a posative outlook on things.....

Granted, Brady is a once in a lifetime QB...we are ALL blessed to be able to watch him...

I'm talking 3-4 years down the road as far as trading him, not tomorrow...& only IF Mallett turns out to be the real deal...to say he isn't or won't be after being able to study under Brady in the Pats system for 3-4 years is just foolish at this point...time will tell all

Hoyer is behind Brady...to say he's done nothing is pretty extreem...he beat out guys drafted ahead of him to stay on as the teams only true back-up QB & played well in pre season as well as when allowed to step in for Brady...I believe he has much more value than you give him credit for, afterall, Cassell who'd never started since high school & hadn't done anything filled in rather nicely when Brady went down & was given his chance to show just how well he proggressed under Brady in the patriots program....

I guess I find your lack of faith disturbing.....(star wars plug)....it's a QB driven league & I believe any team looking for a diamond in the rough would definatly take a flyer on a guy like Hoyer if he was offered up after the success Castle has had coming from the patriots system under Brady's tutaledge....a 2nd rounder is very reasonable & maybe more since he wouldn't carry the 17 million dollar franchise tag Cassell did when traded..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

anything can happen with belichick. no one thought we would trade bledsoe but that happened. in 3-4 years BB could possibly trade brady if the offer was good enough and he felt there wasn't a huge dropoff at the position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...:
    Babe...must be nice going through life with such a posative outlook on things..... Granted, Brady is a once in a lifetime QB...we are ALL blessed to be able to watch him... I'm talking 3-4 years down the road as far as trading him, not tomorrow...& only IF Mallett turns out to be the real deal...to say he isn't or won't be after being able to study under Brady in the Pats system for 3-4 years is just foolish at this point...time will tell all Hoyer is behind Brady...to say he's done nothing is pretty extreem...he beat out guys drafted ahead of him to stay on as the teams only true back-up QB & played well in pre season as well as when allowed to step in for Brady...I believe he has much more value than you give him credit for, afterall, Cassell who'd never started since high school & hadn't done anything filled in rather nicely when Brady went down & was given his chance to show just how well he proggressed under Brady in the patriots program.... I guess I find your lack of faith disturbing.....(star wars plug)....it's a QB driven league & I believe any team looking for a diamond in the rough would definatly take a flyer on a guy like Hoyer if he was offered up after the success Castle has had coming from the patriots system under Brady's tutaledge....a 2nd rounder is very reasonable & maybe more since he wouldn't carry the 17 million dollar franchise tag Cassell did when traded..
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

I have a sparkingly positive attitude about positive things.

What I don't have are any delusions about "the system" making players better than anybody else can make them. There is not one iota of real evidence that BB's system does anything special about making a player better. Good coaching can help a player with the potential to be better improve, but that is available from scores of talented coaches around the league. Cassel put up some numbers against a lot of lame teams and that has been the fortune of his schedule so far in his career. When faced with a normal schedule he has not performed well.

Trading Brady is out of the question. Even in 8 years if he can still play and wants to he must remain a Patriot. He is a legend. He should never wear another uniform. He is and will be the face of the franchise interminably.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

anything can happen with belichick. no one thought we would trade bledsoe but that happened. in 3-4 years BB could possibly trade brady if the offer was good enough and he felt there wasn't a huge dropoff at the position.
    Posted by natesubs

In less than 3 years BB could be gone. People forget that he was just signed before the spygate scandal broke. Kraft was stuck with a huge long term contract. And I would bet he isn't too pleased by the lack of a ring in 6 seasons either.  When asked what was missing in the loss to the Jets his answer was, "a game plan?". That isn't the most ringing endorsement of a coach who is nearing the end of his mega-contract. I suspect Kraft has a bit less Hoodie worship going on than the average fan.

And Bledsoe was Bledsoe, and that is no Tom Brady.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

My, we have some guys that have gone overboard on Mallett here.

The pro game is very different.  Mallett is a student of the game and has the cannon for an arm but lets look at what drug him down to the 3rd round.

1) Character issues.
    2) Very slow.  A lot slower than Brady. 
    3) Questionable decision making. 

It probably goes pretty much in that order.  I was watching Mallett and thought him a high pick but the character issues came up and that alone will drop into the 2nd round. 

He is slow.  It makes you wonder why the OL that were in the draft from Arkansas didn't go higher for protecting such a slow QB.  That took him down a half a round.

The questionable decision making I have always thought a bit over blown.  He played in the SEC and did well.  It wasn't Arkansas' defense that won those games. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Why?

Brady had one of the greatest seasons every by a QB, went 14-2 - and Mallet is what he needed?

Nah, Brady need's a defense that gets stops.  Throw in a pass rusher and that's what he needs.

Dude has 4 solid years left in him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

We already knew he had strong arm. Reading NFL defenses > Strong Arm. Brady is a master at reading defenses and will be for the next four years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Why? Brady had one of the greatest seasons every by a QB, went 14-2 - and Mallet is what he needed? Nah, Brady need's a defense that gets stops.  Throw in a pass rusher and that's what he needs. Dude has 4 solid years left in him. 
    Posted by Getzo

That's what I'm talkin about! Thank you!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : That's what I'm talkin about! Thank you!
    Posted by BabeParilli

Going forward.....

Brady is what Mallet needed - at this time.  A three time winning superbowl QB, who was the first ever unanimous MVP to groom an unmature, yet talented young man.  

Let's get something straight.  Tom Brady has Michael Jordan in him.  These type of human beings need no motivation as they're motivated to be the best.  Michael did not have a 'life coach', and if Tom does... it's not for football.  This is why Tom is who he is.  The guy cried over being selected in the 6th round... 10 years later!  You make fun of him for crying with his long hair.. fine, but the unbiased eye (not saying that's my eye) can see one of the fiercest competitors of alltime..........

Be happy TB is our QB, and never look for his replacement.  Let that just happen when that sorrowful day comes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

My, we have some guys that have gone overboard on Mallett here. The pro game is very different.  Mallett is a student of the game and has the cannon for an arm but lets look at what drug him down to the 3rd round. 1) Character issues. 2) Very slow.  A lot slower than Brady.  3) Questionable decision making.  It probably goes pretty much in that order.  I was watching Mallett and thought him a high pick but the character issues came up and that alone will drop into the 2nd round.  He is slow.  It makes you wonder why the OL that were in the draft from Arkansas didn't go higher for protecting such a slow QB.  That took him down a half a round. The questionable decision making I have always thought a bit over blown.  He played in the SEC and did well.  It wasn't Arkansas' defense that won those games. 
    Posted by garytx

Can anyone state what the character issues are (beyond being a bit tipsy once outside a bar)?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : In no way should the Pats EVER trade Brady unless he wants to move on. That would be just as stupid as trading Ruth was.

BB believes in Bill Walsh's philosophy of "better to get rid one year early than one year late."  I wouldn't be surprised if Brady was traded one day.

And Mallet will never come close to doing what Brady has done. Mark my words. Nothing is going to play out nicely. When Brady is gone, it's back to wishing and hoping. And nobody is going to give up much for Hoyer. He has done nothing.
    Posted by BabeParilli

If you mean win three Super Bowls, you're probably correct as few QB's in NFL history have won as many as Brady.  If you mean being a franchise caliber QB who keeps the Pats highly competative and a SB contender for 10 years or so, time will tell but I wouldn't bet against him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : Can anyone state what the character issues are (beyond being a bit tipsy once outside a bar)?
    Posted by sfpat

I think some scouts did not like that he's a white boy that acts black(for a lack of better words) and that turns people off for whatever reason. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

this is what i found and i didnt know .

2011 NFL Combine, Ryan Mallett, Drug Tests, And Red Flags

Photo

The 2011 NFL Combine is officially underway as special teams players, offensive linemen and tight ends are all checking in today. They'll be handling mostly administrative matters today including some basic medical exams and x-rays, an orientation, and a variety of interviews. Tomorrow, this first group gets things underway with measurements, exams, media, psych tests, and more interviews.

The exams are what intrigue me on the second day. Part of the Combine involves a drug test, which I'd imagine is part of the exams on day two. I bring this up because one player in particular finds himself facing immense scrutiny based on the outcome of his drug test. Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett has been dogged by numerous off-the-field issues that include www.nationalfootballpost.com/Drug-rumors-surrounding-Ryan-Mallett.html" target="_blank">questions about drug use. This took a turn for the ugly as former personnel man (and www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/san-francisco-49ers" class="sbn-auto-link">49ers GM interviewee) Tony Softli spoke on ESPN Radio about Mallett and some of his issues in a discussion of www.101espn.com/post/78404_combine_concerns_offensive_players" target="_blank">offensive players facing Combine concerns:

Character and drug use issues are starting to rear their ugly head. Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction kept him from coming out for the 2010 draft.  A lot of people are comparing Mallett to Ryan Leaf. I think Ryan was a better football player, with a cannon for an arm but the immaturity was just too much to overcome. A hair facial test might tell all 32 teams who this person really is.

As is to be expected rumors are flying every which way about Mallett and some of these many concerns. When you start seeing comparisons to Ryan Leaf this goes beyond just red flags. If he fails his Combine drug test it's safe to say his stock will absolutely plummet. Of course, if he does not flunk his drug test, I'd imagine it would leave things at the status quo rather than be some huge boost for him. Folks will look at it as "If he fails it's not surprising, if he does not fail it's just one test."

Star-divide

Drew and others see Mallett as a guy that wouldn't fit the 49ers needs, so this discussion isn't as much about the 49ers grabbing him, as the idea of red flags in general. For folks that pay close attention to college football and some of the drama that pops up, do you have certain guys you like but they have potential red flags that might cause them to slip?

A guy like Robert Quinn was ineligible this past year because of accepting improper benefits, but it seems like those are not exactly the kind of character defects that can submarine a strong talent. We've seen it in the past with a guy like Mike Williams: if you've got talent, teams will roll the dice early in the draft.

The issue for a guy like Mallett is that the issues are becoming a bit more serious. When people start throwing around drug addiction and some fairly hard core drugs, among other things, it is bound to raise eyebrows. Warren Sapp failed a drug test before he was drafted and it caused him to slide considerably. Randy Moss slipped due to a variety of concerns. Although they've both had their ups and downs in the league, they paid pretty high dividends at one point or another.

What's the dividing line between character defect that will cause a team to pass on a player versus something teams are willing to overlook? I'd say it depends on the team, the coach, and the context, which is a bit of a cop-out. However, that might be the most accurate response at this point.

nt know about ethier

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Yeah, the character issue thing is actually pretty comical & overblown in my opinion...I feel it was more media driven than anything...Mallett was voted captain by his peers both years he played(shows leadership abilities) & put up crazy numbers/stats durring that time in one of the toughest conferences....he's got excellent heighth,strong arm,understands formations & how to read defenses, film study guy,& comes from a football background while playing in a pro style offense in college....maturity/better decision making is what he lacks & will get under Brady & Bill as well as mechnaics fine tuned....Mallet can role out just fine(much more mobile than Bledsoe ever was).....

AGAIN, I'm saying 3-4 years down the road for him & ONLY if he does fine tune his abilities & shows that he is NFL ready in Bills eyes do I see him taking over for Brady.....Walsh traded Montana... Brady is AWESOME, ok, I know that...it could happen is all I'm saying if Mallett turns out to be the real deal...We got 3-4 years to watch & see (as long as Brady doesn't get hurt) to see if Mallett becomes the new face of the franchise while Brady either retires or gets traded for a boatload of picks.....

Personally, I believe that Bill had an AWESOME draft this year & mabe,just maybe,two of the most major steals in Mallett & Cannon...I also believe Vereen is gonna be a stud too....

Guys, it's a down time & I'm just lookin' for honest insight from other diehard football fans....no wrong answers, just opinions with reasoning behind them....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

I wasnt knocking the guy no ones prefect I just found that article for sfpat and the question he asked.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Getzo: I loved your response....well said...I'm NOT looking to replace Brady....I'm just trying to test the waters out there in "fan-land" to see what everyone is thinking about Brady's longevity, when he'll hang it up,will his body keep pace with his drive....I know Brady is a once in a lifetime QB & feel unbelievably blessed to have watched him from day 1.....I guess I'm saying that if Mallett is CLOSE to Tom & Mallett is 25/26 & Brady is 38/39 would you rather stick with Brady & let Mallett go or would you keep Mallett & trade Brady for picks at the end of his career.....

Sections
Shortcuts