Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...

Does anybody have any doubts how Tom Brady will deal with the, "you're no good anymore because you're old" situation? He eats stuff like that alive.

Brady was never blessed with exceptional physical talents. So getting old shouldn't be the dropoff it is for most. His game is mostly between his ears.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Good point babe,expect some backlash from that post lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

DMC...

If Brady and the Pats had a defense that could STOP a team at critical times we'd still be crowing about a 19 - 0 season.  There has been nothing wrong with Brady and the Pats O these last few years, so quit crying about Brady needing a wake up call, he doesn't!  The DEFENSE does!  The playoff losses to the Giants, Ravens and Jets can be laid at the feet of the defense for the most part.  The Jets O, as inept as it had looked in the second half of the last regular season, laying 28 points on the Pats D in that last playoff loss was a crime!  They made Sanchez look great!

We know how BB drafts, getting Mallet is not a sign that BB thinks Brady is on the decline.  He stockpiles for the future and trading power.  Besides, I think it is clear to most fans here, Brady retires as a Patriot, so quit with the suggestions for Brady trade possibilities.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...:
    [QUOTE]Good point babe,expect some backlash from that post lol
    Posted by lippa[/QUOTE]

I do expect backlash on every post. The party line will probably have something to do with how BB is infallible. It always does.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

yep the guys good but someone always right behind to replace anyone at any job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time...:
    [QUOTE]Does anybody have any doubts how Tom Brady will deal with the, "you're no good anymore because you're old" situation? He eats stuff like that alive. Brady was never blessed with exceptional physical talents. So getting old shouldn't be the dropoff it is for most. His game is mostly between his ears.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Brady may want to rise to "you're no good anymore...." but mother nature always has the last word.  Happens to the best.  Brady has the same chip on his shoulder that Montana had and..........Mother Nature won.  If Mallet develops into the next Aaron Rogers, well...........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Yes, if Ryan Mallet develops the potential he has three or four years down the road, Belichick is going to trade him and keep a 37 year old Tom Brady. -_-...

It's Mallet's job to lose a couple of years from now. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Getzo: I loved your response....well said...I'm NOT looking to replace Brady....I'm just trying to test the waters out there in "fan-land" to see what everyone is thinking about Brady's longevity, when he'll hang it up,will his body keep pace with his drive....I know Brady is a once in a lifetime QB & feel unbelievably blessed to have watched him from day 1.....I guess I'm saying that if Mallett is CLOSE to Tom & Mallett is 25/26 & Brady is 38/39 would you rather stick with Brady & let Mallett go or would you keep Mallett & trade Brady for picks at the end of his career.....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

Well talk to me when Brady is 39 I guess, but I still think a 39 year old Brady will be a top 10 QB... 

However, I do understand your point.  At least at this point, it is far from my mind.  Brady is solid for another 3-4 years, but will BB trade him afetr 3 to get something back for him... don't even wanna think about that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]this is what i found and i didnt know . 2011 NFL Combine, Ryan Mallett, Drug Tests, And Red Flags by www.sbnation.com/users/David%20Fucillo%20(Fooch) " /> David Fucillo (Fooch) on www.ninersnation.com/2011/2/23/2009569/2011-nfl-combine-ryan-mallett-drug-tests-red-flags " class="plain permalink"> Feb 23, 2011 12:00 PM PST in www.ninersnation.com/section/Draft " class="plain"> NFL Draft www.ninersnation.com/2011/2/23/2009569/2011-nfl-combine-ryan-mallett-drug-tests-red-flags#comments "> 24 comments www.ninersnation.com/2011/2/23/2009569/2011-nfl-combine-ryan-mallett-drug-tests-red-flags# "> Email www.ninersnation.com/2011/2/23/2009569/2011-nfl-combine-ryan-mallett-drug-tests-red-flags# "> Print   The 2011 NFL Combine is officially underway as special teams players, offensive linemen and tight ends are all checking in today. They'll be handling mostly administrative matters today including some basic medical exams and x-rays, an orientation, and a variety of interviews. Tomorrow, this first group gets things underway with measurements, exams, media, psych tests, and more interviews. The exams are what intrigue me on the second day. Part of the Combine involves a drug test, which I'd imagine is part of the exams on day two. I bring this up because one player in particular finds himself facing immense scrutiny based on the outcome of his drug test. Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett has been dogged by numerous off-the-field issues that include www.nationalfootballpost.com/Drug-rumors-surrounding-Ryan-Mallett.html " target="_blank"> questions about drug use . This took a turn for the ugly as former personnel man (and www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/san-francisco-49ers " class="sbn-auto-link"> 49ers GM interviewee) Tony Softli spoke on ESPN Radio about Mallett and some of his issues in a discussion of www.101espn.com/post/78404_combine_concerns_offensive_players " target="_blank"> offensive players facing Combine concerns : Character and drug use issues are starting to rear their ugly head. Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction kept him from coming out for the 2010 draft.  A lot of people are comparing Mallett to Ryan Leaf. I think Ryan was a better football player, with a cannon for an arm but the immaturity was just too much to overcome. A hair facial test might tell all 32 teams who this person really is. As is to be expected rumors are flying every which way about Mallett and some of these many concerns. When you start seeing comparisons to Ryan Leaf this goes beyond just red flags. If he fails his Combine drug test it's safe to say his stock will absolutely plummet. Of course, if he does not flunk his drug test, I'd imagine it would leave things at the status quo rather than be some huge boost for him. Folks will look at it as "If he fails it's not surprising, if he does not fail it's just one test." Drew and others see Mallett as a guy that wouldn't fit the 49ers needs, so this discussion isn't as much about the 49ers grabbing him, as the idea of red flags in general. For folks that pay close attention to college football and some of the drama that pops up, do you have certain guys you like but they have potential red flags that might cause them to slip? A guy like Robert Quinn was ineligible this past year because of accepting improper benefits, but it seems like those are not exactly the kind of character defects that can submarine a strong talent. We've seen it in the past with a guy like Mike Williams: if you've got talent, teams will roll the dice early in the draft. The issue for a guy like Mallett is that the issues are becoming a bit more serious. When people start throwing around drug addiction and some fairly hard core drugs, among other things, it is bound to raise eyebrows. Warren Sapp failed a drug test before he was drafted and it caused him to slide considerably. Randy Moss slipped due to a variety of concerns. Although they've both had their ups and downs in the league, they paid pretty high dividends at one point or another. What's the dividing line between character defect that will cause a team to pass on a player versus something teams are willing to overlook? I'd say it depends on the team, the coach, and the context, which is a bit of a cop-out. However, that might be the most accurate response at this point. nt know about ethier
    Posted by lippa[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge, Mallet has never failed a drug test,  No one has ever stated they saw him take any drugs, he didn't have a reputation as a partyer at Arkansas.  It's only apparent unfounded rumors and innuendos.  I'd like to hear/see some real evidence before casting judgement.  And concerns about his immaturity are laughable (again, nothing to back-up the concern).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : Brady may want to rise to "you're no good anymore...." but mother nature always has the last word.  Happens to the best.  Brady has the same chip on his shoulder that Montana had and..........Mother Nature won.  If Mallet develops into the next Aaron Rogers, well...........
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

Mother nature wasn't all that kind to Brady when he was 24. I think you missed the point. And Montana had WAY more physical skills than Brady. Have you ever seen the two of them run?

Mallet has about 1000 times the chance of being an O'Connel rather than a Brady.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, if Ryan Mallet develops the potential he has three or four years down the road, Belichick is going to trade him and keep a 37 year old Tom Brady. -_-... It's Mallet's job to lose a couple of years from now. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

If you think Brady is going to be washed up in two years you suffer from delusions. The odds of Mallet not even being in the league in two years are far far greater than the odds of Brady being less than the future Hall of Famer he is at that time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : If you think Brady is going to be washed up in two years you suffer from delusions. The odds of Mallet not even being in the league in two years are far far greater than the odds of Brady being less than the future Hall of Famer he is at that time.

lLoLl

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : Can anyone state what the character issues are (beyond being a bit tipsy once outside a bar)?
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

Sadly, there is no documented drug use by Mallett.  It's a story by Paul Burnmeister.  He calls his off the record talks documented.  Some took this a ran with it instead of doing their own work which seems to be done a lot in todays media.  No follow up.
    My belief is that Mallett is deemed too slow to be a QB in todays NFL.  QBs need to be mobil and he's not.
    My thinking is that the Pats had him high on their draft board and just couldn't pass on him any more.  Much in the same vain Brady was.  Both times QB was not a need but the value was too much to pass up on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : If you think Brady is going to be washed up in two years you suffer from delusions. The odds of Mallet not even being in the league in two years are far far greater than the odds of Brady being less than the future Hall of Famer he is at that time.

Not washed up, Brady would still be a really good QB. Tom won't be an elite QB in a couple of years, but Ryan could be. Mallet just has that great an upside. Mallet has the better arm, he's equally accurate in short/medium yardage passes, he's way more accurate than Brady with the deep ball. 

The only thing Tom has over Mallet is the fact that Tom is better at reading coverages, he knows our playbook inside and out and we know that Tom can play our system well. If Ryan learns to read NFL defenses, assuming that would take a couple of years with BB's tutelage, Ryan will turn into one of the best QBs in the league. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : Not washed up, Brady would still be a really good QB. Tom won't be an elite QB in a couple of years, but Ryan could be. Mallet just has that great an upside. Mallet has the better arm, he's equally accurate in short/medium yardage passes, he's way more accurate than Brady with the deep ball.  The only thing Tom has over Mallet is the fact that Tom is better at reading coverages, he knows our playbook inside and out and we know that Tom can play our system well. If Ryan learns to read NFL defenses, assuming that would take a couple of years with BB's tutelage, Ryan will turn into one of the best QBs in the league. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

What Brady has over Mallet you could fill a book with.

What it takes to be a great NFL QB is unmeasurable and uncoachable. It is a matter of brains, vision, pocket sense and instantaneous decisions. If those could be measured drafting QBs wouldn't be such a crap shoot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : What Brady has over Mallet you could fill a book with. What it takes to be a great NFL QB is unmeasurable and uncoachable. It is a matter of brains, vision, pocket sense and instantaneous decisions. If those could be measured drafting QBs wouldn't be such a crap shoot.

Of course Brady has it all over Mallett...now. But, I believe that the point trying to be made via this thread was that the selection of the highly rated Mallett could serve to further motivate Brady...much like his selection at #199 has motivated him over the years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... :      Of course Brady has it all over Mallett...now. But, I believe that the point trying to be made via this thread was that the selection of the highly rated Mallett could serve to further motivate Brady...much like his selection at #199 has motivated him over the years.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

An unanimous MVP needs motivation?

Maybe if he drafted a pass rusher some of the stiffs on the D might be more motivated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So far Brady has certainly gotten better with age. And his greatness is not based on physical skills, so playing well into his rocking chair years seems quite likely for him more than just about anybody.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : An unanimous MVP needs motivation?

RESPONSE: No one said the he "needs motivation"...just that it could be a source of motivation.

Maybe if he drafted a pass rusher some of the stiffs on the D might be more motivated.

RESPONSE: Frankly, I think Tom is much happier at the prospect of having a young, athletic 6'8" behemoth protecting his blind side...than he would be had BB chosen to add a hybrid pass rusher. Furthermore, the selection of Solder is proof positive that BB feels that protecting his veteran QB is job one. Don't you agree?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : An unanimous MVP needs motivation?   RESPONSE: No one said the he "needs motivation"...just that it could be a source of motivation. Maybe if he drafted a pass rusher some of the stiffs on the D might be more motivated. RESPONSE: Frankly, I think Tom is much happier at the prospect of having a young, athletic 6'8" behemoth protecting his blind side...than he would be had BB chosen to add a hybrid pass rusher. Furthermore, the selection of Solder is proof positive that BB feels that protecting his veteran QB is job one. Don't you agree?     
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

It's good to know you don't feel he "needed" motivation.

Do you think he would have felt alright with Carimi and Vollmer at the tackles?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Carimi is from Wisconsin. You're thinking of Costanzo, taken at 22 by the Colts.

Carimi is 6'7" 295#. He is not expected to be a LT right off the bat but many boards had him rated higher than Solder. He can play G or T.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : It's good to know you don't feel he "needed" motivation. Do you think he would have felt alright with Carimi and Vollmer at the tackles?

Brady understands that it's not his job to make personnel decisions. Unlike you, he buys into the "In Bill We Trust" mantra. If Belichick took Solder at #17, it must be because he believed Solder to be pro-bowl material.

It's interesting to note that the NY Giants also though highly of Solder, and were prepared to select him with their 19th overall pick, had he been available. It's also worth noting that Solder was the second OT selected in the draft, while Carimi was the 5th OT selected (if you count Danny Watkins as a RT prospect, as many do), at #29. The majority of the scouting reports which I've read on Carimi indicate that he's not athletic enough to play LT...and may need to be moved inside, to play OG.    

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : Mother nature wasn't all that kind to Brady when he was 24. I think you missed the point. And Montana had WAY more physical skills than Brady. Have you ever seen the two of them run? Mallet has about 1000 times the chance of being an O'Connel rather than a Brady.

Babe - Why in another thread you state that BB will never win another SB and will be gone within 3 years, but in this thread argue that TB will play at SB caliber forever?  Are not the two linked (you know TB plays great, Pats win SB)?

I really believe you need to be the GM of the Jets.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett & his arm is exactly what Brady needed at this time... : Babe - Why in another thread you state that BB will never win another SB and will be gone within 3 years, but in this thread argue that TB will play at SB caliber forever?  Are not the two linked (you know TB plays great, Pats win SB)? I really believe you need to be the GM of the Jets.
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

Even the greatest QB who ever lived needs a decent D to win the SB. Whose job is it to put a decent D on the field? Not the HOF QB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

BABE:Bill IS putting a decent D on the field...he's lost  starting players to injuries before the season started that he was counting on as well as durring the season, defensive & offensive Quardinators, Head of scouting & numorus othe key pieces behind the scene....when you have your staff pillaged time & time again & still win the division year after year & have one of the youngest D's in the league I believe you sell Bill way too short...Bill has done some of his best coaching as of late but that can only go so far....Pats have been playing playoff calibar teams regularly with many tough schedules over the years & holding their own...2006,2007 were both very tough losses that involved bad ref. calls & unbelievable situational plays(LUCK)....2010 post season the Pats shot themselves in the foot by Crumpler dropping a TD pass & Chung fumbling the snap where he had tons of room to get the 1st down...BILL CAN"T DO THEIR JOB FOR THEM!!!!! Your talk of bill going BYE BYE is one of the more foolish things I've read in here....

Sections
Shortcuts