Mallett or Cassel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Mallett or Cassel

After yesterday's scare with Brady's knee, alot of people seemed to think that the season was over.  I, for one, feel like this is a playoff team (even without Brady.) 

Mallett has recieved alot of great reviews in camp so far and he looked pretty darn good in the game against the Eagles.  Cassel went 11-5 in 2008 when Brady went down.

I hope we never have to find this out, but do you think the Pats would be better off today with Mallet than the 2008 Pats team with Cassel?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Mallett or Cassel

No way to tell. Mallett has not been allowed to play, at all. It's one thing to have an older vet as the back up guy, you know they can step in, it's quite another to draft a kid and not groom him to be ready in case Brady goes down. The Patriots have misplayed the Mallet card by not having him game ready and have not built up his trade value buy not letting him play. Many games last year Mallet should have been put in as the game was safely tucked away.

Would like to see Mallett play the entire game tomorrow night, it's so far past midnight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

I agree.  They could have played Mallet alot more than they did.  4 career NFL passes is not cutting the mustard.

They must play him this year to increase his value in a potential trade.  No question about it.  Plus, it will put more pressure on the defense to close out the game with a win too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

No way to tell. Mallett has not been allowed to play, at all. It's one thing to have an older vet as the back up guy, you know they can step in, it's quite another to draft a kid and not groom him to be ready in case Brady goes down. The Patriots have misplayed the Mallet card by not having him game ready and have not built up his trade value buy not letting him play. Many games last year Mallet should have been put in as the game was safely tucked away.

Would like to see Mallett play the entire game tomorrow night, it's so far past midnight.

Mallett is Belichick's little secret.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In all seriousness....if Mallett is expected to step in if Brady goes down the Pats better wake up and actually let him play. If Brady is going to be here then Mallet either walks in 2 or gets traded. Right now, as we learned this past draft, Mallet has not been allowed to develop any cache to interest anybody. Play the kid for criss sakes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Mallett is Belichick's little secret.

I think so too. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In all seriousness....if Mallett is expected to step in if Brady goes down the Pats better wake up and actually let him play. If Brady is going to be here then Mallet either walks in 2 or gets traded. Right now, as we learned this past draft, Mallet has not been allowed to develop any cache to interest anybody. Play the kid for criss sakes.

How many passes can we expect?  If the over/under is 100 pass attempts, which would you pick?  If BB is really considering trading him at some point, he really needs to start throwing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Seriously? You want to backup QB to throw 100 passes this year? I would rather see them win the majority of their games...but that's just me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:

[QUOTE]

How many passes can we expect?  If the over/under is 100 pass attempts, which would you pick?  If BB is really considering trading him at some point, he really needs to start throwing.

[/QUOTE]

That's what pre-season is for.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If you look at the scores from last years games, there were numerous opportunities for Mallett to play entire quarters. Even though the games were already decided, Mallett could have still run the first team offense. IMO opinion, and I criticized BB for this numerous times last year, this was opportunity missed for Mallett and undue risk for TB

That being said, I think the Pats missed the window of opportunity to recieve full value for Mallett. I do not think they could trade him this year, leaving themselves with TT as the back up or someone off of the street as the back up. While trading Mallett next offseason is still an option, would a team give up a first or second round draft choice for an unproven QB for only one year Under contract? Yes, the new team could extend Mallett, but at what price, and why would Mallett extend until he has a body of work under his belt to potentially max out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'd like to see what Mallett can do in a game (pre-season or otherwise) where he actually has the opportunity to develop a rhythm.  Tough to really evaluate the guy without much real game action.  Let's  see what happens tonight. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

If you look at the scores from last years games, there were numerous opportunities for Mallett to play entire quarters. Even though the games were already decided, Mallett could have still run the first team offense. IMO opinion, and I criticized BB for this numerous times last year, this was opportunity missed for Mallett and undue risk for TB

That being said, I think the Pats missed the window of opportunity to recieve full value for Mallett. I do not think they could trade him this year, leaving themselves with TT as the back up or someone off of the street as the back up. While trading Mallett next offseason is still an option, would a team give up a first or second round draft choice for an unproven QB for only one year Under contract? Yes, the new team could extend Mallett, but at what price, and why would Mallett extend until he has a body of work under his belt to potentially max out.

To play devil’s advocate… #1 they gave up big leads in some games and needed Brady to stay in. #2 if they are up that much what opportunity is there for Mallett to operate with all the 1st team O and of course there is the criticism they receive  when they are up big and get accused of running up the score.

Unless mallet is playing meaningful minutes in the regular season you won't get to see his true ability. The next 2 pre-season games will give you a better idea of what he is capable of.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

I wish they would give Mallett the entire game tonight.  Let Brady rest and see what we have in Mallett.  Mop up duty and second teamers isn`t telling us anything.  Do we really need to see Brady tonight, I for one do not.   Building rapport with the rookies is valuable but what we saw this week a viable back-up for Brady is also important.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

To play devil’s advocate… #1 they gave up big leads in some games and needed Brady to stay in. #2 if they are up that much what opportunity is there for Mallett to operate with all the 1st team O and of course there is the criticism they receive  when they are up big and get accused of running up the score.

Unless mallet is playing meaningful minutes in the regular season you won't get to see his true ability. The next 2 pre-season games will give you a better idea of what he is capable of.

#1- Any lead could be lost in minutes, but if the Patriots, as a team, cannot hold on to a big lead in a regular season game, then I doubt they will be able to do so in the playoffs against stiffer competition.

#2-I can see your point here.  Usually, when playing with a lead there's no need to throw the ball.  And if you do, what will the point be.

It's a pretty tough situation that the Pats are in.  If BB wants anything in return for Mallett, then he needs some playing time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

#1- Any lead could be lost in minutes, but if the Patriots, as a team, cannot hold on to a big lead in a regular season game, then I doubt they will be able to do so in the playoffs against stiffer competition.

#2-I can see your point here.  Usually, when playing with a lead there's no need to throw the ball.  And if you do, what will the point be.

It's a pretty tough situation that the Pats are in.  If BB wants anything in return for Mallett, then he needs some playing time.

Just my opinion but Mallett won't get regular season reps unless it is mop up or Brady is injured. It is just the nature of playing behind QB's like Brady, manning, Rodgers, Brees...

They need to get him his reps from now to the end of pre-season.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

I remember that about Cassel as well.  I think he was almost on the verge of being cut and the Pats were looking at other QBs.  I think 2 were due to make a visit, but those were cancelled when Brady was hurt.

BB is such a genius for not bringing in other QBs and cause a QB controversy for Cassel.  That really should have been a playoff team at 11-5.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

In response to russgriswold's comment:

After yesterday's scare with Brady's knee, alot of people seemed to think that the season was over.  I, for one, feel like this is a playoff team (even without Brady.) 

Mallett has recieved alot of great reviews in camp so far and he looked pretty darn good in the game against the Eagles.  Cassel went 11-5 in 2008 when Brady went down.

I hope we never have to find this out, but do you think the Pats would be better off today with Mallet than the 2008 Pats team with Cassel?

I remember back in 2008, Cassel played with the 2s and 3s and didn't look that great. Then, Brady got hurt and Cassel improved as the season went on with more reps.

It could be worse. We could be Jets fans trying to pretend Sanchez is good and improving as his career goes. lol

Still trying to prop up Cassel, Queenie?  How pathetic.  Notice how swful he looked when he wasn't playing with an offense coming off a superbowl and a record setting season against a very easy schedule?

Actually Cassell made the Pro Bowl in his second year in KC, and a lot of people are saying if Ponder struggles they won't hesitate to put Cassell in...

2010 Kansas City Chiefs 15 15 262 450 58.2 3,116 6.9 27 7 26 182 93.0 33 125 3.8 0 3 1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

really? 34-13 52-28. 45-7. 59-24. 42-14. 28-0. there were not opportunities for the back up QB to throw more than 4 pases? Any time in a regular season game is meaningful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For whatever reason, Mallett has thrown four NFL passes and the team brought in an NFL tested QB as the "third" stringer.

I hope you guys are right, but I cannot imagine any reason to think Mallett is qualified to do anything as an NFL quarterback. 

He's thrown four NFL passes and people talk about him like he's Steve Young and Brady is Joe Montana.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

For whatever reason, Mallett has thrown four NFL passes and the team brought in an NFL tested QB as the "third" stringer.

I hope you guys are right, but I cannot imagine any reason to think Mallett is qualified to do anything as an NFL quarterback. 

He's thrown four NFL passes and people talk about him like he's Steve Young and Brady is Joe Montana.

Bottom line is this guy was considered the second best QB after Cam Newton...  He had upside with his talent, but he had character concerns.  So, I am one of those that is still keeping in the back of my mind that he has the talent, but just needed an opportunity to grow up, mature, and be given a chnace in the NFL. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331063-prestons-2011-nfl-draft-rankings-the-deep-class-of-quarterbacks#/articles/331063-prestons-2011-nfl-draft-rankings-the-deep-class-of-quarterbacks/page/10

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You can't support an opinion with a Bleacher Report article.

Ever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

[QUOTE]

Bottom line is this guy was considered the second best QB after Cam Newton...  He had upside with his talent, but he had character concerns.  So, I am one of those that is still keeping in the back of my mind that he has the talent, but just needed an opportunity to grow up, mature, and be given a chnace in the NFL. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331063-prestons-2011-nfl-draft-rankings-the-deep-class-of-quarterbacks#/articles/331063-prestons-2011-nfl-draft-rankings-the-deep-class-of-quarterbacks/page/10

[/QUOTE]

Getzo pretty much sums up my view of Mallett.  He needs reps in a game and a chance to develop (yeah, I know, I keep saying this) his rhythm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Ever.

He was rated top 5 or higher on most sites... and he would be rated higher if not for character concerns according to those sites............  I'm just trying to help you understand one perspective on Mallet as you asked why people are high on him:  he was rated very highly amoung QB's coming out of college.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Ever.

With all due respect, many of the opinions posted on this board aren't supported by anything at all except perhaps the poster's thoughts.

Sections
Shortcuts