Mallett or Cassel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Mallett or Cassel

In response to ATJ's comment:

With all due respect, many of the opinions posted on this board aren't supported by anything at all except perhaps the poster's thoughts.

Yes, but those thoughts, not including anything posted by Rusty, don't come out of thin air.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

If you look at the scores from last years games, there were numerous opportunities for Mallett to play entire quarters. Even though the games were already decided, Mallett could have still run the first team offense. IMO opinion, and I criticized BB for this numerous times last year, this was opportunity missed for Mallett and undue risk for TB

That being said, I think the Pats missed the window of opportunity to recieve full value for Mallett. I do not think they could trade him this year, leaving themselves with TT as the back up or someone off of the street as the back up. While trading Mallett next offseason is still an option, would a team give up a first or second round draft choice for an unproven QB for only one year Under contract? Yes, the new team could extend Mallett, but at what price, and why would Mallett extend until he has a body of work under his belt to potentially max out.

To play devil’s advocate… #1 they gave up big leads in some games and needed Brady to stay in. #2 if they are up that much what opportunity is there for Mallett to operate with all the 1st team O and of course there is the criticism they receive  when they are up big and get accused of running up the score.

Unless mallet is playing meaningful minutes in the regular season you won't get to see his true ability. The next 2 pre-season games will give you a better idea of what he is capable of.

really? 34-13 52-28. 45-7. 59-24. 42-14. 28-0. there were not opportunities for the back up QB to throw more than 4 pases? Any time in a regular season game is meaningful.

See number 2 so you want the back-up to come in and throw 10 to 15 times. besides that he is most likely working with and against back-ups in meaningless situations.

If he is allowed to play in pre-season with the 1's against the other teams 1's those  are more meaningful snaps IMO. Obviously we are going to agree to disagree on this issue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Been trying to delete this duplicate post for 15 minutes.  Out of town and on a public network that totally flippin bites the bag.  Apologies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

If you look at the scores from last years games, there were numerous opportunities for Mallett to play entire quarters. Even though the games were already decided, Mallett could have still run the first team offense. IMO opinion, and I criticized BB for this numerous times last year, this was opportunity missed for Mallett and undue risk for TB

That being said, I think the Pats missed the window of opportunity to recieve full value for Mallett. I do not think they could trade him this year, leaving themselves with TT as the back up or someone off of the street as the back up. While trading Mallett next offseason is still an option, would a team give up a first or second round draft choice for an unproven QB for only one year Under contract? Yes, the new team could extend Mallett, but at what price, and why would Mallett extend until he has a body of work under his belt to potentially max out.

To play devil’s advocate… #1 they gave up big leads in some games and needed Brady to stay in. #2 if they are up that much what opportunity is there for Mallett to operate with all the 1st team O and of course there is the criticism they receive  when they are up big and get accused of running up the score.

Unless mallet is playing meaningful minutes in the regular season you won't get to see his true ability. The next 2 pre-season games will give you a better idea of what he is capable of.

really? 34-13 52-28. 45-7. 59-24. 42-14. 28-0. there were not opportunities for the back up QB to throw more than 4 pases? Any time in a regular season game is meaningful.

See number 2 so you want the back-up to come in and throw 10 to 15 times. besides that he is most likely working with and against back-ups in meaningless situations.

If he is allowed to play in pre-season with the 1's against the other teams 1's those  are more meaningful snaps IMO. Obviously we are going to agree to disagree on this issue.

Even though Mallett would be going up against back-ups in meaningless situations, he should be allowed to get out there.  Brady, for certain, does not need to be out there and risk an injury.  That would be the most pointless thing ever.

Playing Mallett in meaningless games would-

-Give Mallett playing time

-Save Brady from being injured in a meaningless game

-Put pressure on the defense to close out for a win

-Overall, create more of a team mentality

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

why not? TB did in those games anyways...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Are you suggesting that current NFL players should be evaluated by their pre-draft predictions?

No, he's answering my question of "Considering Mallett hasn't done anything in the NFL, why are people so bullish on him?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Are you suggesting that current NFL players should be evaluated by their pre-draft predictions?

No, he's answering my question of "Considering Mallett hasn't done anything in the NFL, why are people so bullish on him?"

Thank you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:

I, for one, feel like this is a playoff team (even without Brady.) 

Not likely.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

For whatever reason, Mallett has thrown four NFL passes and the team brought in an NFL tested QB as the "third" stringer.

I hope you guys are right, but I cannot imagine any reason to think Mallett is qualified to do anything as an NFL quarterback. 

He's thrown four NFL passes and people talk about him like he's Steve Young and Brady is Joe Montana.

Bottom line is this guy was considered the second best QB after Cam Newton...  He had upside with his talent, but he had character concerns.  So, I am one of those that is still keeping in the back of my mind that he has the talent, but just needed an opportunity to grow up, mature, and be given a chnace in the NFL. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331063-prestons-2011-nfl-draft-rankings-the-deep-class-of-quarterbacks#/articles/331063-prestons-2011-nfl-draft-rankings-the-deep-class-of-quarterbacks/page/10

If you watched him play at Arkansas, you'd know he has the raw talent. You'd also know he is a game time athlete. He was never the dilligent, legwork, practice type guy, but was known for performing really well in pads, and thinking on his feet. 

It's incredibly tough to judge a guy in limited appearances, all with the second team. Second team spends a lot of its time doing scout work, etc. It's like trying to evaluate a hitter based solely on how he performs in dimly lit minor league parks, against pitchers who have trouble throwing strikes, while he is also trying to tinker with his swing. There are too many variables. 

It's not that I think Mallet is an unquestionable success, but Bill and the FO seem happy with his progression and his talent, so it says something. Cassel looked awful unitl he got his shot. He obviously had fatal flaws as an NFL QB (holding the ball too long) but for a one year steward he did ok. 

Mallet has 10x the raw talent that Cassel has. 

If Brady did go down, though, I would likely have Cassel and Hoyer on the phone to round out the roster. 

I also think NE should be looking for a QB in next year's draft. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Not likely.

WINS-

Bills, Jets, TB, CIN, Jets, Miami, Caro, Cleve, Miami, Bills

LOSES-

ATL, NO, Pitt, DEN, HOU, Balt

Even without Brady in a worst case scenario we are a 10-6 playoff team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Even though Mallett would be going up against back-ups in meaningless situations, he should be allowed to get out there.  Brady, for certain, does not need to be out there and risk an injury.  That would be the most pointless thing ever.

Playing Mallett in meaningless games would-

-Give Mallett playing time

-Save Brady from being injured in a meaningless game

-Put pressure on the defense to close out for a win

-Overall, create more of a team mentality

Well good luck convincing BB. The most  you usually get out of BB putting him in  is the last couple of drives.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Not likely.

WINS-

LOSES-

You think we will sweep the division without Brady? LMAO

We don't have a bunch of "the glass is half full" homers here. We have a bunch of "the glass overflowed and flooded the entire world" crackpots.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

You can't support an opinion with a Bleacher Report article.

Ever.

With all due respect, many of the opinions posted on this board aren't supported by anything at all except perhaps the poster's thoughts.

True. Facts are a pesky nuisance for many.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't know, I think Mr. Paine demonstrates Common Sense...

Between 8-8 and 10-6 is where I'd put them without 12. They might lose one to Miami and/or Cinci. But I can see them maybe winning one of the games he has them losing. I still think they'd contend for the division.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I don't know, I think Mr. Paine demonstrates Common Sense...

lol, good one.  I like it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

He doesn't get that usually the Bleacher Report stuff is culminated from various other sources and just put into one spot at Bleacher Report. lol

If you are defending Bleacher Report, I would guess that means you read it.

And that explains so much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Not likely.

WINS-

LOSES-

We don't have a bunch of "the glass is half full" homers here. We have a bunch of "the glass overflowed and flooded the entire world" crackpots.

If Brady went down, the Pats would probably go to more of a run first offense.  Bills and Jets had the 2nd and 7th worst run defense in the league.  And with thier issues at QB, I can't see them putting up much competition.

Miami would be the one to worry about.  Thier defense is pretty stout, but they could only muster an average of 18 points per game.

They did sign Wallace and Ellerbe but lost alot of key players as well.  Look at this list-

OLB Kevin Burnett, RB Reggie Bush, LB Carlos Dansby, TE Anthony Fasano, K Nate Kaeding, T Jake Long, and CB Sean Smith.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Until he shows he can be more of a game manager vs good defenses, I don't want to hear it.

What's he supposed to manage nutjob, a run game that is almost never there when you really need them and a defense that can't hold a lead to save its life?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I question all media.  Obviously.

Oh c'mon dumbkoff, don't sell yourself short. You do far more than question them. You claim they along with the officials, the league, Goodell, Brady, O'brien and McDaniels all have a vast right wing conspiracy against BB. LMAO@U!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

You forgot Davone Bess, a very good slot WR. He went to Cleveland.  Vontae Davis left them last year, too.

Lots of continuity problems for Miami all over the field in 2013.

I forgot about those two.  It's going to be tough to overcome that amount of turnover.

I think the Pats will sweep the division, with or without Brady (hopefully with though).  I really don't want to test that theory.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Not likely.

WINS-

LOSES-

If Brady went down, the Pats would probably go to more of a run first offense.  Bills and Jets had the 2nd and 7th worst run defense in the league.  And with thier issues at QB, I can't see them putting up much competition.

Miami would be the one to worry about.  Thier defense is pretty stout, but they could only muster an average of 18 points per game.

They did sign Wallace and Ellerbe but lost alot of key players as well.  Look at this list-

OLB Kevin Burnett, RB Reggie Bush, LB Carlos Dansby, TE Anthony Fasano, K Nate Kaeding, T Jake Long, and CB Sean Smith.

Of our 6 win sweep of the division last season, 3 of the wins were by one score.

But you think another sweep without Brady is likely. Right. Dream on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Of our 6 win sweep of the division last season, 3 of the wins were by one score.

[/QUOTE]

I can see a road loss to Miami. But it's hard to see them losing a game to either Buffalo or NYJ if Babe Parilli himself is behind center. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We could hand the ball off to Ridley 25 times in each game vs Buff or the feeble Jets and sweep them with ease.

Right meatball, just like we beat them last season by one score WITH Brady. Learn the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I can see a road loss to Miami. But it's hard to see them losing a game to either Buffalo or NYJ if Babe Parilli himself is behind center. 

Look Muzz, I know we often disagree, but I'm pretty sure you aren't dumb. We beat both the Bills and the jets last year by ONE score in half our games with them. These aren't great teams, but it is sheer arrogance to think our mediocre team without Brady would sweep them.

Sections
Shortcuts