Mallett - Staying or Going?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Mallett - Staying or Going?

With the draft pushed to the right a couple of weeks, we've beaten to death almost every topic.

Here's a topic we haven't hit on in a while - QB Ryan Mallett.  Many analysts seem to think that Bridgewater and Manziel aren't first round material.  The doubts in those players increases the value of Mallett, right? 

What do you think happens to our back up QB on draft day?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Re: Mallett - Staying or Going?

guess we'll find out in about 11 days

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I think there's a greater chance than anything we carry 3 Qb's this year (either draft or sign UDFA) and let Mallet walk after his contract is up. unless we can get a 3rd-6th for him

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Nobody will know until after the draft and one thing is for sure. Nobody knows what the Pats will do in the draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9yEuwohkk" rel="nofollow">

It's Football season!! Can you dig it ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9yEuwohkk" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9yEuwohkk" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9yEuwohkk

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should've rephrased the question.

What would you expect in return for Mallett given the current situation?  I think no less than a 3rd.

I wonder if Arizona at #20 would be willing to trade it for #29 and Mallett.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I doubt NE gets offered anything more than a 4th or a 5th for Mallet, so with that being said, I think he will be wearing a Patriots uniform in 2014.  He still has much more value to NE as a competent backup than he does on the open market.  He won't be traded.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt NE gets offered anything more than a 4th or a 5th for Mallet, so with that being said, I think he will be wearing a Patriots uniform in 2014.  He still has much more value to NE as a competent backup than he does on the open market.  He won't be traded.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agreed!  Don't want to risk a rookie as a back-up.  Even TB got to sit out a year before getting thrown in the fire.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Have to agree that he will still be a Patriot after all is said and done. I have no idea how other teams value him. As a Patriot he has value because of his knowledge of the offense and of course his contract.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Disclaimer: predicting BB's draft moves is an impossible dream.  Mallett stays.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the draft pushed to the right a couple of weeks, we've beaten to death almost every topic.

Here's a topic we haven't hit on in a while - QB Ryan Mallett.  Many analysts seem to think that Bridgewater and Manziel aren't first round material.  The doubts in those players increases the value of Mallett, right? 

What do you think happens to our back up QB on draft day?

[/QUOTE]

Nobody ran with the Mallett will be traded stories more than me during the 2013 draft. I have had to accept that Mallett sitting on the bench.... has zero trade cache and will stay.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should've rephrased the question.

What would you expect in return for Mallett given the current situation?  I think no less than a 3rd.

I wonder if Arizona at #20 would be willing to trade it for #29 and Mallett.

[/QUOTE]

BB is expecting a first rounder considering rumors that they rejected a 2nd round pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

For a guy who played so little, Mallet has been discussed more than anyone during the history of this board!

I think he stays. We simply need a backup who knows the system. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I'm curious as to what Ryan Mallett has done since being picked up by the Patriots that would get a GM of another team to give you a 3rd round pick?

Some people are talking about Mallett like he's some diamond in the rough who is just waiting on his chance to break out. It's laughable to think the Pats would get anything better than a 3rd round pick or less for this guy. He's got about five live snaps in the regular season during his time in NE with and those numbers include no TD's and an int.

I hope he's going. I'll be shocked if they get anything better than a late third round pick or worse for him and I hope that the Pats draft a QB if there is a decent one available when they draft in the third round.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Who is giving up a high draft choice for 1 year of control of Ryan Mallett?

Draft a QB with a number 2 and control him for 4 years at reasonable numbers and very little financial risk. 

The tape available on Mallett as well as the reports are 3 years old now, and he is such an unknown entity. 

I simply don't see it. Even BOB hasn't seen him in what, 3 years?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Can't think of anything The Hammer has done in the three years since nobody wanted him in the draft to change their minds.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Never understood this pick. Washington is shopping Cousins, Mallet gets us a 6th or 7th, be happy.

2 years of control for Cousins, who's not bad, or 1 year of an unproven QB, if a team is giving up a High Pick, makes more sense for Cousins.

Also at this point, makes more sense for a team to just Draft a QB in later rounds, (there are some sleepers at this position), hold him for 4 years, see what he got, then give up a Pick. have him for 1 year, and he learns new system. Plus he's just as unproven as a Kid that is Drafted.
    Might be a little ahead for a kid that is Drafted right now, but not enough to Wow someone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I always wondered why BB didn't at least start him against some of the weaker teams, at least for the 1st half. Maybe he is a diamond in the rough, at this point we don't know.
    I would have liked a platoon against the weaker teams. maybe Mallet 1st Quarter, Brady 2nd, etc. Get him in REAL game situations.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I always wondered why BB didn't at least start him against some of the weaker teams, at least for the 1st half. Maybe he is a diamond in the rough, at this point we don't know.
    I would have liked a platoon against the weaker teams. maybe Mallet 1st Quarter, Brady 2nd, etc. Get him in REAL game situations.

RESPONSE: Mallet has had his chances in numerous preseason games...but has failed to impress. Unless things dramaticly change for him this season, BB's use of a relatively high 3rd round pick (74th overall in 2011) for him must be considered a disappointment at best, or a bust at worst. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Washington is shopping Cousins. If they move him would that set a benchmark for Mallett?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

recent bench marks

Weedon-released due to no interest (partially due to salary)

Gabbert-7th rd

Pryor-7th rd

If Minn selects a QB, doesnt one assume that Ponder is then on the market?

Ditto Browns...is Hoyer on the market?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Keep him. Pretty solid move getting 1st round talent in the 3rd to back Brady up for 4 years. Be glad we didn't need him.

"Defense Wins Championships"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

34-13

52-28

45-7

59-24

49-19

42-14

28-0

2012 Pats victories that Mallett did not play. did the Pats miss a chance to establish value with Mallett? 

Do the Pats not want to establish value with the hopes of signing him in free agency?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

RESPONSE: Mallet has had his chances in numerous preseason games...but has failed to impress. Unless things dramaticly change for him this season, BB's use of a relatively high 3rd round pick (74th overall in 2011) for him must be considered a disappointment at best, or a bust at worst. 

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't risky to take Mallett with that third round pick since it was an extra pick received when they traded Randy Moss to the Vikings.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Mallet has no trade value.  None.  Zero.  Not even worth a 7th.  Simple as that.  We keep him and let him walk next offseason.  Simple as that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If Cousins is moved, and there are 4 QB's with 1st round potential. How many teams need a QB after that, looking for Starter? Not many.