Mallett to be #2???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Mallett to be #2???

The Patriots on Thursday signed quarterback Mike Hartline to a future contract for the 2012 season, according to a league source.

Hartline, the brother of Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline, was signed by the Colts as an undrafted free agent out of Kentucky last July, and spent the first month of the season on the Colts' practice squad.

While at Kentucky, Hartline was arrested for public intoxication and disorderly conduct, and was subsequently suspended for his team's bowl game against Pittsburgh last season.

The Patriots worked out Hartline last month. He will join the team when rosters expand to 80 players this offseason.

Hartline joins Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett as quarterbacks under contract for 2012. Brian Hoyer is scheduled to be a restricted free agent

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Mallett to be #2???

Makes sense.  Hoyer will be traded for a fourth round pick and a lightly used golf cart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

In Response to Mallett to be #2???:
    [QUOTE]Signs of things to come? The Patriots on Thursday signed quarterback Mike Hartline to a future contract for the 2012 season, according to a league source. Hartline, the brother of Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline, was signed by the Colts as an undrafted free agent out of Kentucky last July, and spent the first month of the season on the Colts' practice squad. While at Kentucky, Hartline was arrested for public intoxication and disorderly conduct, and was subsequently suspended for his team's bowl game against Pittsburgh last season. The Patriots worked out Hartline last month. He will join the team when rosters expand to 80 players this offseason. Hartline joins Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett as quarterbacks under contract for 2012. Brian Hoyer is scheduled to be a restricted free agent
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Great Post and Great Info. Hard to believe we won't get anything for Hoyer. I would suspect a sign and trade. 

I hope this Hartline kid has gotten his act together. Pats are usually pretty good with due diligence. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Mallett to be #2???:
    [QUOTE]Signs of things to come? The Patriots on Thursday signed quarterback Mike Hartline to a future contract for the 2012 season, according to a league source. Hartline, the brother of Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline, was signed by the Colts as an undrafted free agent out of Kentucky last July, and spent the first month of the season on the Colts' practice squad. While at Kentucky, Hartline was arrested for public intoxication and disorderly conduct, and was subsequently suspended for his team's bowl game against Pittsburgh last season. The Patriots worked out Hartline last month. He will join the team when rosters expand to 80 players this offseason. Hartline joins Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett as quarterbacks under contract for 2012. Brian Hoyer is scheduled to be a restricted free agent
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

I had my eye this guy after I saw him play in 2010, he's not too shabby. Another big QB. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

"restricted free agent" means that the Patriots can offer the low, medium or high tender for Hoyer.  Then they have him locked up for another year.  Then maybe they can trade him, if the other QBs look ok.

Nobody wants to face the reality that if your team (not the Patriots) doesn't really have a quarterback, and if you don't want to slog through a bad season starting a rookie second rounder or worse, then you have to get a young hot, experienced prospect for the team.   Bryan Hoyer is that prospect if anybody is.  BB had enough faith in Hoyer that he didn't keep a third QB on the roster in previous years.  Name another QB with a good rep like that.  "Hey Hoyer, Brady has a blister so here's the keys to the 14-2 team next week."

This is when the (hopefully) good players are signed early on.  The 2012 season has already begun for the Patriots scouting staff and the front office, even as the 2011 postseason rolls on.

Hartline could last a week in training camp for all I know.  He's a spare, a camp body with no cred.  If he catches on, good for him.  He'll be a quarterback with a year of experience and NFL size, if not NFL ability to make throws.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Mallett to be #2???:
    [QUOTE]"restricted free agent" means that the Patriots can offer the low, medium or high tender for Hoyer.  Then they have him locked up for another year.  Then maybe they can trade him, if the other QBs look ok. Nobody wants to face the reality that if your team (not the Patriots) doesn't really have a quarterback, and if you don't want to slog through a bad season starting a rookie second rounder or worse, then you have to get a young hot, experienced prospect for the team.   Bryan Hoyer is that prospect if anybody is.  BB had enough faith in Hoyer that he didn't keep a third QB on the roster in previous years.  Name another QB with a good rep like that.  "Hey Hoyer, Brady has a blister so here's the keys to the 14-2 team next week." This is when the (hopefully) good players are signed early on.  The 2012 season has already begun for the Patriots scouting staff and the front office, even as the 2011 postseason rolls on. Hartline could last a week in training camp for all I know.  He's a spare, a camp body with no cred.  If he catches on, good for him.  He'll be a quarterback with a year of experience and NFL size, if not NFL ability to make throws.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

The thing that helps the Pats out the most in trading Hoyer is the incredible weakness of the QB FA class and the weakness in draft QB's. Past Griffin and Luck there are no sure 1st round QB's with Tannehill most likely making it into the 1st because of the lack of possible QB's in the draft. Past him you might be going into the 3rd before another QB is taken.

For trades it's a waste land of second rate QB's with limited upside.

On the FA front there's Flynn and well........Orton? Of course if Manning gets released that could change but the way the Colts are denying his release it looks like they will keep him around just to keep the fans happy.

In total there's maybe 4-5 QB's with upside and won't just be JAGs this off-season (not including Hoyer) so if any time would be primed to trade Hoyer for more then his market value it would be now. I'm thinking we might get a 3rd out of a desperate team (Sea maybe?) who won't get Luck, Griffin, or Flynn but wants a younger QB with high upside

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I hope Hoyer * like Cassel* gets his shot as a starter. He has been , from the reports I've heard or read, a good team mate and a pretty good QB. Seems to be a good Patriot and no problems off the field. I hope we can trade him to some NFC team that over pays like washington for example. If we could get a 2nd rounder I'd be happy. IMO a second rounder for a guy who knows the ropes isnt too much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree with pasting on this. Also, because he is signed, doesn't mean we keep him. He is an insurance policy, and I have to imagine the guaranteed money to be very low. There are plenty of QB needy team that won't grab a kid in the draft or FA. One I would watch out for is Cleveland. They are rich in draft picks and could afford to part with a 2nd or 3rd. I think the colt McCoy experiment is done there. Was, Seattle, and many others. In the end, if we get a 3rd for hoyer that would be good. The market could dictate as high as a 2nd. BB has ammo, which puts him in the drivers seat come draft time as always.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett to be #2??? : The thing that helps the Pats out the most in trading Hoyer is the incredible weakness of the QB FA class and the weakness in draft QB's. Past Griffin and Luck there are no sure 1st round QB's with Tannehill most likely making it into the 1st because of the lack of possible QB's in the draft. Past him you might be going into the 3rd before another QB is taken. For trades it's a waste land of second rate QB's with limited upside. On the FA front there's Flynn and well........Orton? Of course if Manning gets released that could change but the way the Colts are denying his release it looks like they will keep him around just to keep the fans happy. In total there's maybe 4-5 QB's with upside and won't just be JAGs this off-season (not including Hoyer) so if any time would be primed to trade Hoyer for more then his market value it would be now. I'm thinking we might get a 3rd out of a desperate team (Sea maybe?) who won't get Luck, Griffin, or Flynn but wants a younger QB with high upside
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

3rd would be a dream (a good one)
    i'll wait till i see it.
    before the preseason i was hoping he would play more this year and earn a 3rd.
    be nice to get another pick before this draft at least in the 3rd or 4th.
    i dont have my hopes up high on that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mallett to be #2??? : 3rd would be a dream (a good one) i'll wait till i see it. before the preseason i was hoping he would play more this year and earn a 3rd. be nice to get another pick before this draft at least in the 3rd or 4th. i dont have my hopes up high on that.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Given the weakness of the QB market this year a 3rd might be high but plausible. A 4th seems much more realistic but to a desperate team with no QB hope in a weaker draft like this a 3rd is an option. Heck they could even trade for a conditional pick in 13' on an escalator type of trade where they agree to a 4th initially (value is about a 5th this year but in a stronger draft) and if he meets certain criteria could move to a 3rd or 2nd (my feeling would be a 3rd being easily obtainable such as throwing for 3000yrds and 15 TD's while a 2nd, depending on team, could be something harder like having a winning season or making the playoffs)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

A 4th might be spot on...but if their is no movement before the preseason starts, they could really feature Hoyer a bit with the 1s.  All it takes is an injury and the price goes up...especially if Hoyer plays well.  I suspect he would play well.  When he throws, he's got the sound mechanics that Brady has.  That throw to Gronk was a thing of beauty.  

BB wouldn't be adverse to taking a higher round draft pick in 2013 than a lower pick in 2012 if that's how it turns out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would be surprised if Hoyer gets any trade offer at all. How often do you see backup QBs get traded for picks? Cassell played a full year, Kolb started games and threw for over 400 yards. Jim Sorgi never drew any interest and he had more playing time. I doubt teams see Hoyer as being significantly better than any of the other 32 backups around the NFL that they could pick up for nothing. Can anyone think of a single instance in NFL history where a BU QB who has never started a game got traded for picks?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I would be surprised if Hoyer gets any trade offer at all. How often do you see backup QBs get traded for picks? Cassell played a full year, Kolb started games and threw for over 400 yards. Jim Sorgi never drew any interest and he had more playing time. I doubt teams see Hoyer as being significantly better than any of the other 32 backups around the NFL that they could pick up for nothing. Can anyone think of a single instance in NFL history where a BU QB who has never started a gene got traded for picks?
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

If you limit it to BU then no but if you limit it to just backups who were traded Matt Schaub is a prime example. Before going to Hou he started 2 games in 3 years in Atl with as much game time experience as Hoyer has playing in pre-season (yes I know there is a difference between pre-season and reg season but Schuab's numbers weren't great in those couple of games anyways). For experience level Schuab and Hoyer are good comparisons. For that trade Alt swapped 1st's with Hou (an advance for them), Hou's 2nd that year and Hou's 2nd the year after. It's not unprecidented that backups with high upside get traded with little to no NFL experience.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

That pass Hoyer threw to Gronk was a thing of beauty. It will be included in his resume I betcha.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]That pass Hoyer threw to Gronk was a thing of beauty. It will be included in his resume I betcha.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

Don't forget coming in and throwing an instant 40 yard bomb to Tate for a TD when given the chance as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I would be surprised if Hoyer gets any trade offer at all. How often do you see backup QBs get traded for picks? Cassell played a full year, Kolb started games and threw for over 400 yards. Jim Sorgi never drew any interest and he had more playing time. I doubt teams see Hoyer as being significantly better than any of the other 32 backups around the NFL that they could pick up for nothing. Can anyone think of a single instance in NFL history where a BU QB who has never started a gene got traded for picks?
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I agree, I don't understand why you gusy think a guy who has never played would land a 4rth round pick? Shoot Randy Moss only got a 3rd round pick back. I would take a 7th for him, not that we need it.