Mallett to Browns for Bryant?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mallett to Browns for Bryant?

Ok this one confuses me. Why would you trade a newly signed player as part of the package when the Pats could have signed him in FA to begin with? If this actually happens and is true then BB needs to stop being GM as he could of had Bryant in FA without any trades:

ESPN Cleveland believes a Ryan Mallett to Browns trade is still a possibility.

Once the Chiefs give up on their quest to trade Matt Cassel and release him, the ball will get rolling. Perhaps the Patriots will bring him back to be Tom Brady's backup once again and then send Mallett to Cleveland in a trade. Beat writer Tony Grossi suggests a package that includes newly acquired DL Desmond Bryant. Browns GM Mike Lombardi recently told NFL Network that if a trade happens, it won't be until April.

Mar 14 - 8:03 AM

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Mallett to Browns for Bryant?

Doesn't make sense to trade this guy now.  What if Brady's production falls off in light of the Welker Trade. 

A light just went off in my head.  Maybe the pats are getting ready to blow this thing up.  They got Brady to restructure so that his cap number is lower and attractive to other teams.  Welker's gone. 

Wonder if Brady will be gone in the next 2 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Strange indeed. Does it have to do with other signings the pats want to make and insuring they'd have enough room to do it? Or maybe tied to draft and what they get there?

the article says a package..Bryant plus browns 3rd?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Strange indeed. Does it have to do with other signings the pats want to make and insuring they'd have enough room to do it? Or maybe tied to draft and what they get there?

the article says a package..Bryant plus browns 3rd?

Imagine if if Mallet and our 3rd for Bryant.... how would they explain that one?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think that is it...I am suggesting bryant and browns 3rd for mallet....fair deal?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Doesn't make sense to trade this guy now.  What if Brady's production falls off in light of the Welker Trade. 

A light just went off in my head.  Maybe the pats are getting ready to blow this thing up.  They got Brady to restructure so that his cap number is lower and attractive to other teams.  Welker's gone. 

Interesting and I considered this as well but don't think Bb nor Kraft will trade the franchise. If we were miles away from being SB contenders maybe..,but we are not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

I don't think that is it...I am suggesting bryant and browns 3rd for mallet....fair deal?

That is more like it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The words in the above that I focused on are:  believes, perhaps, suggests.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not at all. If they wanted Bryant why didn't they get him the moment FA started? Any time you trade a player for another player you could of had in FA it's a bad trade imo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Not at all. If they wanted Bryant why didn't they get him the moment FA started? Any time you trade a player for another player you could of had in FA it's a bad trade imo

I agree with you Eng, this doesn't make any sense.  If the Pats wanted Bryant just sign him in the first place and you don't have to give up Mallett to get him.  I saw this report earlier also and it just doesn't make any sense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Interesting slant on this, but ... not sure what the Bryant contract structure is, but if it included a significant signing bonus, this would stay on the Brown's books as dead money (they have cap space to burn) so the Pats would get Bryant for a considerably reduced cap/real money hit. That could be the value to the Pats in not signing th FA contract but then trading for the player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He's a radio guy, not a writer.  Here's the link: 

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=14251

I still say I'd take Josh Gordon for Mallett and be done with it.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize the OP included a link.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Great post and yessss Gordon is what we need at receiver

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize the OP included a link.

I'd take that in a heartbeat

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

If this were to happen I would be surprised if it was planned.  Lombardi would been lambasted (correctly) for eating dead money and giving Bryant to the Pats at a discount (whatever his signing bonus was) just to get a backup QB.  This seems even less likely than the Browns swapping first round picks with us although I would LOVE it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

If KC has to cut Cassel after not being able of  getting a trade done, why should the Pats expect to get anything meaningful for Mallet?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

If KC has to cut Cassel after not being able of  getting a trade done, why should the Pats expect to get anything meaningful for Mallet?

Well everyone already knows Cassel is not that good (whereas Mallett has way better raw tools and potential), but more importantly Cassel had pretty sizeable contract.  Mallett does not.  Of course I think some people are being a tad unrealistic on what we can get in return, but Cassel's trade value is irrelevant imo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Apples and oranges. One is a promising player, the other a backup at best. And as the other poster mentioned, the money is significantly different.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from David233. Show David233's posts

Ok this one confuses me. Why would you trade a newly signed player as part of the package when the Pats could have signed him in FA to begin with? If this actually happens and is true then BB needs to stop being GM as he could of had Bryant in FA without any trades:

Once the Chiefs give up on their quest to trade Matt Cassel and release him, the ball will get rolling. Perhaps the Patriots will bring him back to be Tom Brady's backup once again and then send Mallett to Cleveland in a trade. Beat writer Tony Grossi suggests a package that includes newly acquired DL Desmond Bryant. Browns GM Mike Lombardi recently told NFL Network that if a trade happens, it won't be until April. Related:  Browns   Source:  ESPN Cleveland Mar 14 - 8:03 AM

How about Mallett for CB Joe Haden??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to David233's comment:

How about Mallett for CB Joe Haden??

While we're at it what about Mallett for all of their draft picks this year.  LOL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Keep dreaming dude

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

Once the Chiefs give up on their quest to trade Matt Cassel and release him, the ball will get rolling. Perhaps the Patriots will bring him back to be Tom Brady's backup once again and then send Mallett to Cleveland in a trade. Beat writer Tony Grossi suggests a package that includes newly acquired DL Desmond Bryant. Browns GM Mike Lombardi recently told NFL Network that if a trade happens, it won't be until April. Related:  Browns   Source:  ESPN Cleveland Mar 14 - 8:03 AM

This is not going to happen because the Vikings have signed Cassel.  The Patriots may pick up another QB in free agency or the draft, then trade Mallet to the Browns for DL Desmond Bryant.

Sections
Shortcuts