Mallett to Browns???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Mallett to Browns???

There is a formula that is used to determine what it takes to move up in the draft. I don't know it but if the Pats wanted the Browns 6th for their 29th a chart is used to determine what the Pats would need to give up.

Mallett was rated last year, before the 2012 draft, as being valued as a second or early third rounder.

So the Pats would be offering a first and second for the 6th pick. However, picks are unknowns but QB's command the highest value. You need to give more than they may be worth. 

This may well get interesting...it it may not...makes it interesting and fun...for me anyway.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

There is a formula that is used to determine what it takes to move up in the draft. I don't know it but if the Pats wanted the Browns 6th for their 29th a chart is used to determine what the Pats would need to give up.

This is precisely my point.  To move up 23 spots usually requires an additional 1st round pick at the minimum.  And the top picks are even more valuable than ever because they no longer have the potentially crippling salaries attached to them.  I just don't see how any team would consider Mallett to be worth a first rounder.  Not saying they won't move Mallett, but I remember when people were dreaming of getting a mid round pick for Hoyer.  Mallett is what he is.  An untested backup with a ton of raw potential.  I don't see that being worth a 1st rounder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The 2012 Draft, not 2011.

There was a story in the Jacksonville press that if the Jags would not trade for Tebow then they should look at other options. They said the Pats might part with Mallett and felt Mallett would fetch a second or early third round pick if you wanted to get him away from the pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Mallet has an NFL arm and can move around the pocker and has prototype height but the few times Ive seen him play he seems too slow in making his reads and progressions. If the 1st read isnt there, he starts to look like Bledsoe and that is pretty normal for a rookie until he gets his feet wet but the problem is he hasnt been allowed to do that here and why would a GM trade for him without being able to see that?  If they offer anything for him at this point, its gravy. Even though he didnt play, he DID do his job and was available iF they needed  him so....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

After the 2011 Draft, when Mallett was taken by NE, the "story" was that Mallett's family was furious at Miami as they claimed they committed to Ryan they were going to take him 9th overall.

Miami backed out, they say, but to this day many in Miami swear the story is true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

The question would be, how much does Lombardi want to pay.

I say, get a mid rder out of him as well and it's a deal.

So, you are on record as saying the pats will trade Mallett to the Browns for the #6 pick AND a middle round pick and the Browns will accept those terms? 

Hey, we can dream, Dogg.

But, it's not that far fetched. Lombardi STILL has a 1st rd pick (ours) and he gets the QB he wants, well under market, trained by BB/Brady, etc?

He doesn't lose anything. All he does is trade back, save some cash by doing so, still have a 1st rd pick and he gets someone he feels can take Weeden's job. Then, he could still deal Weeden.

What you would see from trolls and haters is what you're seeing from Underpants or our pink hats here like Mt Hurl, who hate BB.

They either don't get it or it's jealousy. The proposed idea would be a win/win for both teams.

So actually you just talk out your a&& about things.  Got it. 

So lets see, a third rd pick who has not had one start in the league is going to be sold for a 1st and lets say a 5th.  No, that's not far fetched, youre right.  (sarcasm). 

You make it sound so easy.  And Lombardi can trade back, picking up extra picks because everyone's just wants what he has left, right?

And then some other team will just pick up 1st rdr Weeden, and that team'll probably give up a 1st and 5th making Lombardi whole again, right?  Oh and plus the extra picks for trading back. 

Dude, you are right, this is a piece of cake.  J.K. Rowling's got nothing on us. 

Rusty - you act as if this league operates at Belichick's pleasure.  That the other 31 teams have no self-interest.  Its not surprising, you are one who never thinks another team is better than your pats or that another team was better on a given day.  You are lost my man, just like Babe - just coming from a different angle. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LHNYJ. Show LHNYJ's posts

Mallett to the Browns??-I thought he was taking over for the current aging QB...what's his name?You know the guy that played himself right out of MVP conntention and literally s hit the bed in the playoffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

If a trade is made for Mallett I doubt it would be a trade for 1st rounders.  That's just way too high of a price for the Browns.  Lombardi liked Mallett at a certain time in the draft but not close to the top ten.  He would have to be to make this deal make sense. 

The Browns need help in a lot of areas.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Be patient and look for that QB next year.  The deal doesn't make any sense to me unless it's for later round type deals where the Pats end up with multiple picks and get room to do the wheeling and dealing BB likes to do.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to LHNYJ's comment:

Mallett to the Browns??-I thought he was taking over for the current aging QB...what's his name?You know the guy that played himself right out of MVP conntention and literally s hit the bed in the playoffs.

I understand your anger. I understand your frustration. You have my sympathy. Your team is a mess. No Quarterback, no Coach, no GM, no defense....even Firemen Ed knew it was time time to bail. Someday...the Jets may become relevent again. Until then do stop by and provide us with more Jet Debauchery....it helps us pass the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LHNYJ. Show LHNYJ's posts

Hey pension looter- How are ya?!

Why do pats fans always bring up te Jets in the pats forum??What am I angry at? I'm glad that Mallett is penciled in as the starter next year for the pats. You guys should be too. I get that old Tommy Boy has a nice history with pats fans but it is time for a change behind Center.

The sooner the better in my sage like opinion.

Now he'll come back with something about the Jets rather then discuss Brady's replacement...it's a defense mechanism and I forgive you in adavance!

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

My sources are telling me that this is a weak safety class. New England apparently is going to franchise Chung and then trade him to New England for a first round pick. This is more than likely to happen because Bill Belichick and Bill Belichick are best friends and Belichick was enamored with Chung prior to the 2009 NFL draft. It's a win, win for both sides.

Sincerly,

Rusty

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

If a trade is made for Mallett I doubt it would be a trade for 1st rounders.  That's just way too high of a price for the Browns.  Lombardi liked Mallett at a certain time in the draft but not close to the top ten.  He would have to be to make this deal make sense. 

The Browns need help in a lot of areas.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Be patient and look for that QB next year.  The deal doesn't make any sense to me unless it's for later round type deals where the Pats end up with multiple picks and get room to do the wheeling and dealing BB likes to do.  

Again. You don't seem to be getting it either. 

What if the QB class is deemed weak again next year?  Mallet has 2 years remaining on his deal. The cap goes up in 2015, so if Mallett (or Weeden), didn't work out, you can still try again.

Mallet is FAR CHEAPER than what the Barkleys of the world wil be for the next 2 years. So, it's like getting Mallet 6th overall with 2 years of training at 3rd rd 2011 pre rookie cap money.

It's not Lombardi would give up his 1st rd pick outright either.

In fact, he could even deal Weeden and the Pats 29th to move up a few notches or something like that.

Lombardi likes Mallett.

If he doesn't like Weeden, and likes Mallett, this would be a good deal for both.

No, you don't get it. Just because Mallett was considered a "top 15 pick" by some months before the draft means nothing. Nothing. There are 80 kids every year that are suppossed to be "top 15 picks" and up falling, falling and falling. Don't believe one single word about this guy or that guy was suppossed to go here or there. None of it means a thing until the draft rolls around and the kid gets picked. Happens every year...I'm surprised you've missed this.

Lombardi can't trade the 6th overrall selection to the Patriots for Mallett and our first. Why? Because he would get hung. Here's a guy in the first year of his last chance and he rolls the dice like that? To a kid with prior drug problems, no NFL wins, no NfL starts, not one ounce of NFL evidence that he is nothing more than a tall kid with a strong arm...really? He's going to do that? So as soon as he gets his job, the first thing he's going to do is lose big time in the NFL draft trade chart and hand the keys to the franchise over to Mallett? Because that is essentially what he would have to do - have the kid play - you can't sit a third year QB that you just traded the farm for sit on the bench. What's that going to be like in Cleveland when they have this kid step behind center and most possibly NOT be what RG3 or Andrew Luck were last year? Because you can bet that is who he is going to be compared to in Cleveland, and when that blows up, Lombardi will be out of the NFL again.

I really hope you're right...that would be awesome...totally awesome, but I think the most we could get (and this would totally shock me too) is a second rounder for him. I highly doubt we can even get that from Cleveland, but that would be sweet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

The Browns are on crack if they make a deal like this. After two years of not taking an NFL snap, Mallett becomes worth the 6th overall pick?!?

I would do it in a second if the Browns are really that stupid. I would assume there are other players picks going Cleveland's way if that deal happens.

It would be Mallet and #29 for #6. Considering Mallet was a top 15 talent with off-field issues and after 2 yeas the off field issues are no longer a concern the Browns might actually think they are getting a decent deal. From their prospective if they still feel Mallet is a top 15 type of pick then they'd essentially be trading #6 for #15 and #29 which many wouldn't consider a bad deal at all

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

yeah, i don't have a problem trading him

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not sure about this trade or any other, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if BB is trying to find someone he could trade for picks without setting his current roster back too much. He has a number of needs to address and few picks, so a deal would seem attractive. Mallet is an obvious choice as someone who might have value but isn't necessairily a critical piece for the long or short term. Not sure who else falls in that category. Periodically I wonder about the Spikes/Mayo/Hightower group only because we only need two MLBs and that's three, but then I think BB is okay with Mayo and Hightower outside and probably doesn't want to lose any of those young guys.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

The Browns are on crack if they make a deal like this. After two years of not taking an NFL snap, Mallett becomes worth the 6th overall pick?!?

I would do it in a second if the Browns are really that stupid. I would assume there are other players picks going Cleveland's way if that deal happens.

It would be Mallet and #29 for #6. Considering Mallet was a top 15 talent with off-field issues and after 2 yeas the off field issues are no longer a concern the Browns might actually think they are getting a decent deal. From their prospective if they still feel Mallet is a top 15 type of pick then they'd essentially be trading #6 for #15 and #29 which many wouldn't consider a bad deal at all

Exactly. Agree 100%.

or, the browns could trade 6 to another team for the 1st and 2nd. assuming that 1st is in the teens, they could then trade that teen something pick to the pats for mallet and 29 and get an additional 2nd as well. is trading mallet worth moving up 15 spots? I say yes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

If Mallet gets traded for the 6th overall its really not that bad. I mean the Browns need a QB, right? Well if they dont think there's one in this draft class and feel that getting someone thats been in the league a few years and has lots of potential. Why not? Getting Mallet would be like drafting him at the 6th spot. I just think thatthe Browns are hoping thatwith a few years under Bill and Tom he learned alot and might be ready to play. Pats win this trade, yes for now. At the same time, lets says it works out for the Browns then .......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

This mallet guy must be spectacular.  Anyone got any pro tape on this guy.  If he's worth that much, why trade him?  Trade Brady instead.  Mallet must be much better and he's younger.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Scratch that. Anything is possible.

Raider traded a first and a conditional second (would've been a first if the Raiders reached the AFC Champ game)  for a surefire nonfranchise QB in Carson Palmer.

This was after taking Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

Again. You don't seem to be getting it either. 

What if the QB class is deemed weak again next year?  Mallet has 2 years remaining on his deal. The cap goes up in 2015, so if Mallett (or Weeden), didn't work out, you can still try again.

Mallet is FAR CHEAPER than what the Barkleys of the world wil be for the next 2 years. So, it's like getting Mallet 6th overall with 2 years of training at 3rd rd 2011 pre rookie cap money.

It's not Lombardi would give up his 1st rd pick outright either.

In fact, he could even deal Weeden and the Pats 29th to move up a few notches or something like that.

Lombardi likes Mallett.

If he doesn't like Weeden, and likes Mallett, this would be a good deal for both.

No, you don't get it. Just because Mallett was considered a "top 15 pick" by some months before the draft means nothing. Nothing. There are 80 kids every year that are suppossed to be "top 15 picks" and up falling, falling and falling. Don't believe one single word about this guy or that guy was suppossed to go here or there. None of it means a thing until the draft rolls around and the kid gets picked. Happens every year...I'm surprised you've missed this.

Lombardi can't trade the 6th overrall selection to the Patriots for Mallett and our first. Why? Because he would get hung. Here's a guy in the first year of his last chance and he rolls the dice like that? To a kid with prior drug problems, no NFL wins, no NfL starts, not one ounce of NFL evidence that he is nothing more than a tall kid with a strong arm...really? He's going to do that? So as soon as he gets his job, the first thing he's going to do is lose big time in the NFL draft trade chart and hand the keys to the franchise over to Mallett? Because that is essentially what he would have to do - have the kid play - you can't sit a third year QB that you just traded the farm for sit on the bench. What's that going to be like in Cleveland when they have this kid step behind center and most possibly NOT be what RG3 or Andrew Luck were last year? Because you can bet that is who he is going to be compared to in Cleveland, and when that blows up, Lombardi will be out of the NFL again.

I really hope you're right...that would be awesome...totally awesome, but I think the most we could get (and this would totally shock me too) is a second rounder for him. I highly doubt we can even get that from Cleveland, but that would be sweet.

Trust the board when we all laugh at you and know you don't get literally anything. lol

Hey why don't we do this? If and when we move up to Cleveland's spot for exchange of Mallett and our first round selection - I'll leave the board...gone.

And if the trade doesn't happen in those exact parameters (our selection and Mallett, for Cleveland's 6th overral selection)...you leave the board. Simple.

Come on, you love a good bet. Do it...do all of us that favor. And really when you think of it, you are on record as saying the Browns should also throw in a middle round selection, so I'm giving you a bargain in terms of the trade conditions. Do it. If I lose I'll be embarrassed, schooled and gone. And if you lose you'll get to feel like you do everyday...embarrassed, schooled and banned. 

Sections
Shortcuts