2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Mallett to Browns???

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

If a trade is made for Mallett I doubt it would be a trade for 1st rounders.  That's just way too high of a price for the Browns.  Lombardi liked Mallett at a certain time in the draft but not close to the top ten.  He would have to be to make this deal make sense. 

The Browns need help in a lot of areas.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Be patient and look for that QB next year.  The deal doesn't make any sense to me unless it's for later round type deals where the Pats end up with multiple picks and get room to do the wheeling and dealing BB likes to do.  

Again. You don't seem to be getting it either. 

What if the QB class is deemed weak again next year?  Mallet has 2 years remaining on his deal. The cap goes up in 2015, so if Mallett (or Weeden), didn't work out, you can still try again.

Mallet is FAR CHEAPER than what the Barkleys of the world wil be for the next 2 years. So, it's like getting Mallet 6th overall with 2 years of training at 3rd rd 2011 pre rookie cap money.

It's not Lombardi would give up his 1st rd pick outright either.

In fact, he could even deal Weeden and the Pats 29th to move up a few notches or something like that.

Lombardi likes Mallett.

If he doesn't like Weeden, and likes Mallett, this would be a good deal for both.

No, you don't get it. Just because Mallett was considered a "top 15 pick" by some months before the draft means nothing. Nothing. There are 80 kids every year that are suppossed to be "top 15 picks" and up falling, falling and falling. Don't believe one single word about this guy or that guy was suppossed to go here or there. None of it means a thing until the draft rolls around and the kid gets picked. Happens every year...I'm surprised you've missed this.

Lombardi can't trade the 6th overrall selection to the Patriots for Mallett and our first. Why? Because he would get hung. Here's a guy in the first year of his last chance and he rolls the dice like that? To a kid with prior drug problems, no NFL wins, no NfL starts, not one ounce of NFL evidence that he is nothing more than a tall kid with a strong arm...really? He's going to do that? So as soon as he gets his job, the first thing he's going to do is lose big time in the NFL draft trade chart and hand the keys to the franchise over to Mallett? Because that is essentially what he would have to do - have the kid play - you can't sit a third year QB that you just traded the farm for sit on the bench. What's that going to be like in Cleveland when they have this kid step behind center and most possibly NOT be what RG3 or Andrew Luck were last year? Because you can bet that is who he is going to be compared to in Cleveland, and when that blows up, Lombardi will be out of the NFL again.

I really hope you're right...that would be awesome...totally awesome, but I think the most we could get (and this would totally shock me too) is a second rounder for him. I highly doubt we can even get that from Cleveland, but that would be sweet.

Trust the board when we all laugh at you and know you don't get literally anything. lol

Hey why don't we do this? If and when we move up to Cleveland's spot for exchange of Mallett and our first round selection - I'll leave the board...gone.

And if the trade doesn't happen in those exact parameters (our selection and Mallett, for Cleveland's 6th overral selection)...you leave the board. Simple.

Come on, you love a good bet. Do it...do all of us that favor. And really when you think of it, you are on record as saying the Browns should also throw in a middle round selection, so I'm giving you a bargain in terms of the trade conditions. Do it. If I lose I'll be embarrassed, schooled and gone. And if you lose you'll get to feel like you do everyday...embarrassed, schooled and banned. 

I am hinging my board presence on a potential trade. No.  I don't have that much confidence in it.

Why didn't you take my 40+ pass bet, though? lmao

I know, and I should of in that game that you are reffering to, because I would of won...darn. Come on man, take the bet. I listened to that radio interview with Lombardi and he's clearly a moron, so this trade very very well could happen. In fact after I listened to him predict the entire first round wrong and what he said on Kaepernick - I almost didn't want to do the bet, but I'm still game because I don't think even he can be that stupid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

This mallet guy must be spectacular.  Anyone got any pro tape on this guy.  If he's worth that much, why trade him?  Trade Brady instead.  Mallet must be much better and he's younger.  

How much pro tape was on Wilson, or Luck, or any other QB coming out of the draft? You draft on potential and that's wha Mallet is. His value was much higher then his draft position purely because of the obvious connection to Leaf. Really who wants to draft Leaf 2.0. But, after 2 years in the legue without a single incident I think most teams would take a second look as he's young and very reasonable contract right now. Not to mention if you want to extend him would cost you less the then 1st half of the first because of the lack of film. From th Pats perspective they would trade him if Brady's going to stick around for another 3-4 years. his doesn't make him any less valuable overall esp considering the very weak draft and FA this year in combination with te large amount of teams looking for a QB this year

Would I trade #6 for Mallet and #29, nope but then again I wouldn't have trade for Cassel, or Kolb or Tebow either. Dumb teams do dumb things and he Browns aren't exactly a smart team

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Not sure about this trade or any other, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if BB is trying to find someone he could trade for picks without setting his current roster back too much. He has a number of needs to address and few picks, so a deal would seem attractive. Mallet is an obvious choice as someone who might have value but isn't necessairily a critical piece for the long or short term. Not sure who else falls in that category. Periodically I wonder about the Spikes/Mayo/Hightower group only because we only need two MLBs and that's three, but then I think BB is okay with Mayo and Hightower outside and probably doesn't want to lose any of those young guys.

Oh yes. A "number of needs". LOL

Well, depending on which of their own free agents they re-sign, they may need a corner or two, a safety, one to three wide receivers, a defensive tackle, a right tackle, and a lot of depth elsewhere. So yeah, a number of needs.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

This might be a smokescreen set up by Lombardi and Belichick. Sitting with high picks there are 3-4 Teams with needs at QB. The fact that the story is out there is how it all starts. Besides Cleveland, there sits .....Jacksonville, Buffalo, Arizona, and the unthinkable KC (Reid) at Number 1. Is Jeno Smith that great a QB at no.1? Compared to Mallet and the 29th pick?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Ok, ok... I like the potential trade thus far. Question is... who is this savior at #6 that makes the trade all worth-while?

If Mante T'eo were to free-fall in the draft due to, well we know... would Bill grab him?

Who y'all like at #6?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Ok, ok... I like the potential trade thus far. Question is... who is this savior at #6 that makes the trade all worth-while?

If Mante T'eo were to free-fall in the draft due to, well we know... would Bill grab him?

Who y'all like at #6?

If i were belichick and we got the #6 pick i would personally jump over the table and select Star the DT from Utah to put beside Wilfork and chandler jones.star has the potential to allow us to switch back and forth from a 4-3 to a 3-4 alng with wilfork and jones.  in a 4-3 we would line up jones, star, wilfork, nink (or margus hunt hopefully) with mayo, hightower and spikes as the LB's in a 3-4 the same guys are on the field with jones at DE, star at NT, and wilfork at DE with mayo, nink, hightower and spikes at LB.  this could really confuse opposing QB's

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

This mallet guy must be spectacular.  Anyone got any pro tape on this guy.  If he's worth that much, why trade him?  Trade Brady instead.  Mallet must be much better and he's younger.  

How much pro tape was on Wilson, or Luck, or any other QB coming out of the draft? You draft on potential and that's wha Mallet is. His value was much higher then his draft position purely because of the obvious connection to Leaf. Really who wants to draft Leaf 2.0. But, after 2 years in the legue without a single incident I think most teams would take a second look as he's young and very reasonable contract right now. Not to mention if you want to extend him would cost you less the then 1st half of the first because of the lack of film. From th Pats perspective they would trade him if Brady's going to stick around for another 3-4 years. his doesn't make him any less valuable overall esp considering the very weak draft and FA this year in combination with te large amount of teams looking for a QB this year

Would I trade #6 for Mallet and #29, nope but then again I wouldn't have trade for Cassel, or Kolb or Tebow either. Dumb teams do dumb things and he Browns aren't exactly a smart team

i don't disagree with you but people are suggesting two picks for him.  A first and a mid rounder and he hasnt played.  Not sure how his value increases that much. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Who y'all like at #6?

T'eo is a terrible player who disappeared in the NC and is extremely over rated due to the fact that Notre Dame has a good journalism school and who writes all the sports articles, uummm journalists.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Yes...I should have stated that clearer than I did. The Browns would get Mallett AND the Pats first rounder in exchange for the Browns first rounder.

Don't forget, I called the mallett pick and got the do do beaten outta me here for it. I even called the rd. I am a fan as I thought he was a stud at Arkansas.

Now...that being said....if most of you here are correct that Brady plays 3/4 more years then mallett never gets a snif of the field.

So....then does it not make sense to move him now.

And..it could be for a lower pick this year and a high one next. Don't forget the Pats have no picks in the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds this year.

Who in their right mind, thinks that brady is going to play for 3 or 4 more years?

I know that there is a lot of "brady Love" amongst Pats fans, but he in all likelihood has 2 years max left as a top 10 QB.

The Pats should be making a move for his replacement right now. As for Mallett, he has not played. What little we have seen of him is not encouraging. He appears to have a cannon  for an arm but no confidence. If all the Pats want is a back-up QB behind Brady, they can pick up a Matt Moore or a Matt Flynn .

If I am wrong about Mallett and he does possess talent, why would the pats get rid of him?

1st round picks can stink it up.

I think the Browns will stay with Weeden. It is more likely that someone like Spikes would go to the Browns.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

If a trade is made for Mallett I doubt it would be a trade for 1st rounders.  That's just way too high of a price for the Browns.  Lombardi liked Mallett at a certain time in the draft but not close to the top ten.  He would have to be to make this deal make sense. 

The Browns need help in a lot of areas.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Be patient and look for that QB next year.  The deal doesn't make any sense to me unless it's for later round type deals where the Pats end up with multiple picks and get room to do the wheeling and dealing BB likes to do.  

Again. You don't seem to be getting it either. 

What if the QB class is deemed weak again next year?  Mallet has 2 years remaining on his deal. The cap goes up in 2015, so if Mallett (or Weeden), didn't work out, you can still try again.

Mallet is FAR CHEAPER than what the Barkleys of the world wil be for the next 2 years. So, it's like getting Mallet 6th overall with 2 years of training at 3rd rd 2011 pre rookie cap money.

It's not Lombardi would give up his 1st rd pick outright either.

In fact, he could even deal Weeden and the Pats 29th to move up a few notches or something like that.

Lombardi likes Mallett.

If he doesn't like Weeden, and likes Mallett, this would be a good deal for both.

No, you don't get it. Just because Mallett was considered a "top 15 pick" by some months before the draft means nothing. Nothing. There are 80 kids every year that are suppossed to be "top 15 picks" and up falling, falling and falling. Don't believe one single word about this guy or that guy was suppossed to go here or there. None of it means a thing until the draft rolls around and the kid gets picked. Happens every year...I'm surprised you've missed this.

Lombardi can't trade the 6th overrall selection to the Patriots for Mallett and our first. Why? Because he would get hung. Here's a guy in the first year of his last chance and he rolls the dice like that? To a kid with prior drug problems, no NFL wins, no NfL starts, not one ounce of NFL evidence that he is nothing more than a tall kid with a strong arm...really? He's going to do that? So as soon as he gets his job, the first thing he's going to do is lose big time in the NFL draft trade chart and hand the keys to the franchise over to Mallett? Because that is essentially what he would have to do - have the kid play - you can't sit a third year QB that you just traded the farm for sit on the bench. What's that going to be like in Cleveland when they have this kid step behind center and most possibly NOT be what RG3 or Andrew Luck were last year? Because you can bet that is who he is going to be compared to in Cleveland, and when that blows up, Lombardi will be out of the NFL again.

I really hope you're right...that would be awesome...totally awesome, but I think the most we could get (and this would totally shock me too) is a second rounder for him. I highly doubt we can even get that from Cleveland, but that would be sweet.

Trust the board when we all laugh at you and know you don't get literally anything. lol

Hey why don't we do this? If and when we move up to Cleveland's spot for exchange of Mallett and our first round selection - I'll leave the board...gone.

And if the trade doesn't happen in those exact parameters (our selection and Mallett, for Cleveland's 6th overral selection)...you leave the board. Simple.

Come on, you love a good bet. Do it...do all of us that favor. And really when you think of it, you are on record as saying the Browns should also throw in a middle round selection, so I'm giving you a bargain in terms of the trade conditions. Do it. If I lose I'll be embarrassed, schooled and gone. And if you lose you'll get to feel like you do everyday...embarrassed, schooled and banned. 

I am hinging my board presence on a potential trade. No.  I don't have that much confidence in it.

Why didn't you take my 40+ pass bet, though? lmao

I know, and I should of in that game that you are reffering to, because I would of won...darn. Come on man, take the bet. I listened to that radio interview with Lombardi and he's clearly a moron, so this trade very very well could happen. In fact after I listened to him predict the entire first round wrong and what he said on Kaepernick - I almost didn't want to do the bet, but I'm still game because I don't think even he can be that stupid.

SO, you bake cupcakes for 7th graders, clearly don't know jack squat about business or economics, yet you call Mike Lombardi a "moron"?

Yes, you would have won the bet in that instance, but your gutless pansy behavior speaks volumes which is very enjoyable.

Nothing like a 7th grade Home Ec teacher telling us that a guy who is now likely making close to a million bucks to fix the legendary Browns organization telling us that person is a "moron".

Yeah saying the the Vikings weren't going to take a quarterback (when they did), because he thought they should try to work things out with Donovan McNab!?!? Bawahaha! You sure you don't want to take that bet?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

yeah its a smokescreen

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Let me tell you something:

This team will win the division next year and go deep in the postseason yet again and that's without Welker here, IMO.  They will have loads of continuity here, are 15 mil under the cap, will have FAs banging down the door to play here, will probably have another good draft and they certainly don't have a "number" of needs, more so than any other team that reflects the positives I just described.

Capiche?

This sky is falling rhetoric you and your buddies use every offseason as Brady lays another large egg in an AFC title game or SB, is getting really, really OLD.

Here are the needs:

S, maybe CB, DT/DE, OL, FB

This no worse than every other team in the NFL. It's actually incredible position for a team that just hosted an AFC title game.

This is no different than last year in terms of listing about 4 or 5 needs. You act like they aren't milliseconds away from a SB. It's so annoying when Brady makes 20 mil and underperforms and you act like it has nothing to do with him or the offense.

You will be absolutely up agaisnt the wall next year if he fails again, because BB will make good moves this offseason. It's put up or shut up time for Tom Brady.

I would add WR to that list of needs, especially if Welker is not resigned...preferably a guy with some size/speed who can get deep and/or go up and get the ball (see Anquan Boldin in the SB).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to viewer222's comment:

Who in their right mind, thinks that brady is going to play for 3 or 4 more years?

RESPONSE: I can envision Brady playing three more years. But, that's it.  

I know that there is a lot of "brady Love" amongst Pats fans, but he in all likelihood has 2 years max left as a top 10 QB.

RESPONSE: Your point here is well taken.

The Pats should be making a move for his replacement right now.

RESPONSE: If the right opportunity presents itself, they should. Based on what I've seen from Mallett, he's a statue with poor foot-work, who needs extra good pass protection. Confidence comes only from playing regularly. He'll have to show something during the pre-season. Want to get sick? The Pats could have drafted Colin Kaepernick in 2011, instead of Ras-I Dowling! I know that hindsight is always 20/20. But...just saying... 

As for Mallett, he has not played. What little we have seen of him is not encouraging. He appears to have a cannon  for an arm but no confidence. If all the Pats want is a back-up QB behind Brady, they can pick up a Matt Moore or a Matt Flynn.

RESPONSE: Flynn makes too much money. For the Pats to pick him up, he'll first have to be released. Several QB needy teams might trade for him...or pay more for him than the Pats, if he's released. 

If I am wrong about Mallett and he does possess talent, why would the pats get rid of him?

RESPONSE: True...unless the Browns really made it worth their while.

1st round picks can stink it up.

RESPONSE: And your point is? Any draft pick can "stink it up"...but the odds aren't as great of that happening with a high pick, than a lower pick. If Cleveland were willing to trade the 6th overall pick for the 29th overall selection, and Mallett...I'd do that in a NY minute. That 6th overall pick could be that elusive shut-down CB, or pass-rushing beast that the Pats need to get them over the top.   

I think the Browns will stay with Weeden. It is more likely that someone like Spikes would go to the Browns.

RESPONSE: Weeden sucks. Why would the Browns deal for a good, but not great run stuffing ILB like Spikes? Good run-stuffers can be found in later rounds. Top QBs, CBs, and pass-rushers generally are first rounders.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

walter football 3rd round projection

New England Patriots: Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
    The Patriots have used a third-round pick on a troubled but talented SEC quarterback before. There's talk that Bill Belichick could trade Ryan Mallett to Michael Lombardi, so if that happens, New England may search for another project at the signal-caller position.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

This team will win the division next year and go deep in the postseason yet again and that's without Welker here, IMO.  They will have loads of continuity here, are 15 mil under the cap, will have FAs banging down the door to play here, will probably have another good draft and they certainly don't have a "number" of needs, more so than any other team that reflects the positives I just described.

Capiche?

This sky is falling rhetoric you and your buddies use every offseason as Brady lays another large egg in an AFC title game or SB, is getting really, really OLD.

Here are the needs:

This no worse than every other team in the NFL. It's actually incredible position for a team that just hosted an AFC title game.

This is no different than last year in terms of listing about 4 or 5 needs. You act like they aren't milliseconds away from a SB. It's so annoying when Brady makes 20 mil and underperforms and you act like it has nothing to do with him or the offense.

You will be absolutely up agaisnt the wall next year if he fails again, because BB will make good moves this offseason. It's put up or shut up time for Tom Brady.

I would add WR to that list of needs, especially if Welker is not resigned...preferably a guy with some size/speed who can get deep and/or go up and get the ball (see Anquan Boldin in the SB).

I actually meant to include that. My bad. I agree. Once we see who they sign/resign, then I'll reset it for the draft, but I think most fans agree on the spots.  

I agree with your list. If I had to pick out the top 3 biggest spots of needs, I would go Safety, DL (I know we got Armstead, but could always use more pass rushing help), and WR...if Talib is not resigned, then CB jumps over WR. If he is resigned, CB is #4 (for depth purposes).

OL could use a piece or two, but that area is not in deep trouble or anything (unless Vollmer isn't back). A FB would be great,  i'll be interested to see if BB is thinking the same way.

It really is hard to say what our biggest needs are before resignings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

i don't disagree with you but people are suggesting two picks for him.  A first and a mid rounder and he hasnt played.  Not sure how his value increases that much. 

Yeah a 1st and a mid round is a bit out of the question. I think #6 for Mallet and #29 is pushing it frankly but with the Browns not having a 2nd pick it would be reasonable. From all I've heard they are really down on Weeden and Lombardi might want to stamp his name immediately. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not sure about this trade or any other, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if BB is trying to find someone he could trade for picks without setting his current roster back too much. He has a number of needs to address and few picks, so a deal would seem attractive. Mallet is an obvious choice as someone who might have value but isn't necessairily a critical piece for the long or short term. Not sure who else falls in that category. Periodically I wonder about the Spikes/Mayo/Hightower group only because we only need two MLBs and that's three, but then I think BB is okay with Mayo and Hightower outside and probably doesn't want to lose any of those young guys.

Oh yes. A "number of needs". LOL

Well, depending on which of their own free agents they re-sign, they may need a corner or two, a safety, one to three wide receivers, a defensive tackle, a right tackle, and a lot of depth elsewhere. So yeah, a number of needs.

Capiche?

Here are the needs:

What if Belichick is a great regular season GM, but his approach falters in the playoffs? Maybe it's not the QB who is a regular season wonder, but the GM?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

As much as they may like Mallett the Browns wouldn't part with their 6th overall pick.  Even swapping first rounders wouldn't be something I could see them going for. Mallett has a great arm but it would be nice to have a quarterback that can at least move around a little.