Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Mallett

·

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: Mallett

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot

#Patriots'l Belichick said at the AFC coaches breakfast on Ryan Mallet trade rumors: "I can't comment on that. Glad he plays for our team.''

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Well, there you have it... they're trading him, ha.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Lol, that's about as close as BB saying we are trading a player as I've ever seen. It don't get much more obvious than that from BB. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It's got to be just me...I really think anything we get for this guy is a huge bonus...I don't think he's going to be a very good starting quarterback.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

hey fellow Domer!

since ur the only true draft expert here (tho we have a lot of pretenders!)  what does Mallet bring? I say 3rd round tops

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm surprised.  I wouldn't think the Browns would pull the trigger on this or any other team for that matter.  I guess we can look for something to happen draft day or there abouts.  A 3rd and 4th rounders?  Or maybe a 3rd and 5th?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

hey fellow Domer!

since ur the only true draft expert here (tho we have a lot of pretenders!)  what does Mallet bring? I say 3rd round tops

Hey Man... As far as draft pick compensation, I think a Day 2 pick, tops and realistically Rd 3 is prob an accurate projection.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

Can someone explain all this Mallett trade talk on the board?  Who's going to be the back-up QB if Mallett is traded?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I hope

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from firstdegreeblackbelt. Show firstdegreeblackbelt's posts

he is better then any qb, in this years draft, he is worth a 1st pick, if your looking for a qb, in this years draft

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

i doubt they trade himfor less than a 2nd or a high 3rd and 4th.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to firstdegreeblackbelt's comment:

he is better then any qb, in this years draft, he is worth a 1st pick, if your looking for a qb, in this years draft

Disagree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Regardless of what the wannabe talent graders here on BDC think Mallett is a better QB than anyone coming out in this years draft and that is pure fact,just by being TB's b/u for one year he has proffessional level training both on and off the field which automatically ensures he's a better QB than the prospects coming out this year! Though I'm not an evaluator of talent I would guess that he could be had for a second round choice,but a third and a fourth aren't likely to get it done.Sorry Cleveland fans.Tampa will offer a second an maybe BB makes the trade.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

phil taylor from the browns?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

although I don't think he's worth a 2nd the only way the Pats trade Mallett is for a 2nd round pick. They drafted him in the 3rd round and have invested 2 years with him. BB is not going to trade Mallett laterally for a 3rd round pick. The Pats always need to win when they trade a player so a 3rd or 4th round pick won't cut it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree that bb will probably not trade mallett for just a 3rd, but if done, we could see a 3rd this year, and maybe a conditional pick next based on playing time That turns into. 3rd. I think that is reasonable and fair given mallett. 

In terms of what bb will take, I think this year he doesn't ne essarily have the leverage he would like because he doesn't have a bunch of picks, and hasn't done yet, a bunch in FA. He might be squeezed into trading mallett for something less ideal because he wants and needs to draft. Bb is typically not in this situation, but everything considered, he might part ways with mallett for less than optimal reward.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Regardless of what the wannabe talent graders here on BDC think Mallett is a better QB than anyone coming out in this years draft and that is pure fact,just by being TB's b/u for one year he has proffessional level training both on and off the field which automatically ensures he's a better QB than the prospects coming out this year! Though I'm not an evaluator of talent I would guess that he could be had for a second round choice,but a third and a fourth aren't likely to get it done.Sorry Cleveland fans.Tampa will offer a second an maybe BB makes the trade.

I think Geno Smith is a better QB, but Mallett isn't far behind. He's easily the #2 QB in this draft. However, I don't think that means a team would trade a top 10 pick for him and that's where almost all the QB needy teams are. 

The two teams who would most likely trade for Mallett are the Bucs and Browns. I think we can all agree to that. If a trade were to happen I could see these types of trades in the works:

Tampa:

Best this year - #13 for #29 and Mallett

Most likely - #43 for Mallett

Could happen - #73 and conditional 2nd rounder that can turn into a 2014 1st for Mallett

Clev:

Best this year - Phil Taylor, #68, and 4th for Mallett, #91, and 7th

Most likely - #68 and conditional 3rd that could turn into a 2nd next year for Mallett

Could happen - #6 for #29, Mallett, and conditional mid round pick next year

I would take any of the above of course moving up and grabbing one of the top DTs in the draft or Milliner would be a dream.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I really can't say I've seen Mallet play enough to judge how good he is.  I will say I haven't been overly impressed with the little I've seen, but I hardly think the sample size is big enough for me to judge anything.  If BB trades him, he'll make his decision based on what he thinks Mallet's present market value is, not on what BB has invested in him already.  So if BB thinks Mallet is an up and comer, expect him to hold out for a higher pick.  If he thinks Mallet doesn't have a lot of potential, then he may trade him for a third or fourth rounder. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Good post PatsENg...those seem all fairly possible. 

Whoever architected mallett throwing at Arkansas pro day is genius. You think bb had any hand in this? Also, do we know what teams were at the Arkansas pro day? This might give us a clue as to whom the potential trading partner may be.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

I'm surprised.  I wouldn't think the Browns would pull the trigger on this or any other team for that matter.  I guess we can look for something to happen draft day or there abouts.  A 3rd and 4th rounders?  Or maybe a 3rd and 5th?

The strong rumor is that the Cleveland Browns want Mallett. But, if you're Cleveland, why make a move now, and tip your hand as to your draft strategy? If Geno Smith is available to them at pick #6, he'll be their likely choice. But, if Smith is gone, as I predict he will be, they'll be in on Mallett. Keep in mind that the Browns do not have a second round pick, having spent it in last years' supplemental draft, on WR Josh Gordon. So...the best draft pick that the Pats could expect from the Browns would be their 3rd rounder, the 68th overall pick. 

It would also be advantageous for the Patriots to do the trade on draft day. This way, depending how the top QBs fall...the Pats can select from the best offers made by QB desperate teams. 

I can see the Patriots being offered a second rounder by a team like the Arizona Cardinals. So, it's understandable why the Browns would have to up the ante to N.E., by parting with a player, like DT Phil Taylor, in addition to parting with their 3rd round pick. Who knows...maybe some team will offer a #1 draft pick in 2014 to land Mallett. 

Whatever the case, I see Mallett being traded, and Tim Tebow being signed as Tom Brady's back-up.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I cannot see how the Pats get anything more than a 3rd for Mallett.  However, the possibility exists that there is some GM out there that looks at the QBs available in the draft and who considers that Mallett has been learning in the Pats system for 2 years and sweetens the offer a bit.  He hasn't seen the field much though, so I'm guessing teams dust off the film for his Arkansas days.    

Think about it: a #2 pick for a potential starting QB isn't asking the world.  All we've heard and read is that it wasn't talent that made Mallett a 3rd rounder, it was other concerns about character and attitiude.  Well, it must say something about him that he beat out Hoyer for the backup job here. 

I'm still not seeing a #2, but I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if BB parlays Mallett into something this team could use.