Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Mallett

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

I'm surprised.  I wouldn't think the Browns would pull the trigger on this or any other team for that matter.  I guess we can look for something to happen draft day or there abouts.  A 3rd and 4th rounders?  Or maybe a 3rd and 5th?

The strong rumor is that the Cleveland Browns want Mallett. But, if you're Cleveland, why make a move now, and tip your hand as to your draft strategy? If Geno Smith is available to them at pick #6, he'll be their likely choice. But, if Smith is gone, as I predict he will be, they'll be in on Mallett. Keep in mind that the Browns do not have a second round pick, having spent it in last years' supplemental draft, on WR Josh Gordon. So...the best draft pick that the Pats could expect from the Browns would be their 3rd rounder, the 68th overall pick. 

It would also be advantageous for the Patriots to do the trade on draft day. This way, depending how the top QBs fall...the Pats can select from the best offers made by QB desperate teams. 

I can see the Patriots being offered a second rounder by a team like the Arizona Cardinals. So, it's understandable why the Browns would have to up the ante to N.E., by parting with a player, like DT Phil Taylor, in addition to parting with their 3rd round pick. Who knows...maybe some team will offer a #1 draft pick in 2014 to land Mallett. 

Whatever the case, I see Mallett being traded, and Tim Tebow being signed as Tom Brady's back-up.   

Tex, you were making a ton of sense until the last sentence.  No way Tebow back up Brady.  No way.  BB is too smart to bring that clown to town.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Geno smith is 1st round caliber. I don't think anyone else is coming out this year. I think the rest of the lot are 2nd-4th round type prospects. This should certainly help our ability to get more for mallett. Question is, how do QB needy teams view mallett as compared to Barkley, nassib, etc? This we don't know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I'm surprised.  I wouldn't think the Browns would pull the trigger on this or any other team for that matter.  I guess we can look for something to happen draft day or there abouts.  A 3rd and 4th rounders?  Or maybe a 3rd and 5th?

The strong rumor is that the Cleveland Browns want Mallett. But, if you're Cleveland, why make a move now, and tip your hand as to your draft strategy? If Geno Smith is available to them at pick #6, he'll be their likely choice. But, if Smith is gone, as I predict he will be, they'll be in on Mallett. Keep in mind that the Browns do not have a second round pick, having spent it in last years' supplemental draft, on WR Josh Gordon. So...the best draft pick that the Pats could expect from the Browns would be their 3rd rounder, the 68th overall pick. 

It would also be advantageous for the Patriots to do the trade on draft day. This way, depending how the top QBs fall...the Pats can select from the best offers made by QB desperate teams. 

I can see the Patriots being offered a second rounder by a team like the Arizona Cardinals. So, it's understandable why the Browns would have to up the ante to N.E., by parting with a player, like DT Phil Taylor, in addition to parting with their 3rd round pick. Who knows...maybe some team will offer a #1 draft pick in 2014 to land Mallett. 

Whatever the case, I see Mallett being traded, and Tim Tebow being signed as Tom Brady's back-up.   

Tex, you were making a ton of sense until the last sentence.  No way Tebow back up Brady.  No way.  BB is too smart to bring that clown to town.

Don't know. It seems to me that BB is relying heavily on the opinion of OC Josh McDaniels. Last year, BB brought aboard Lloyd. This year, he dumps the proven Wes Welker for Danny Amendola. Do you really see it as such a stretch that he'll add Tebow, once he's released by the Jets? Think about it. McDaniels used a #1 draft choice on him in Denver. The top veteran back-ups like Matt Cassel have signed on elsewhere. I can see Josh drawing up some goal line plays for Tebow...and having him double as an H-back.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Don't know. It seems to me that BB is relying heavily on the opinion of OC Josh McDaniels. Last year, BB brought aboard Lloyd. This year, he dumps the proven Wes Welker for Danny Amendola. Do you really see it as such a stretch that he'll add Tebow, once he's released by the Jets? Think about it. McDaniels used a #1 draft choice on him in Denver. The top veteran back-ups like Matt Cassel have signed on elsewhere. I can see Josh drawing up some goal line plays for Tebow...and having him double as an H-back.  

I get the McD connection, but there is no way Belichick would go there.  The media circus would be BB's worst nightmare.  Also, the thought of Tebow trying to run our offense is hysterical, to say the least.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I could see Cleveland easily trading #6 to say the 49s for their first, and a boatload of other picks likely including a second, third and fourth.

They could then trade for Mallet with the 49s first, or with a second and fourth, or whatever.

They could also probably get a trade in the #15 range with a second rounder.

They will obviously have lots of options at #6 and one is to convert it to multiple later picks.

There are a few teams out there with too many picks that will be desperate to consolidate for higher picks or shift the into next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Im the REAL KING. Show Im the REAL KING's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Regardless of what the wannabe talent graders here on BDC think Mallett is a better QB than anyone coming out in this years draft and that is pure fact,just by being TB's b/u for one year he has proffessional level training both on and off the field which automatically ensures he's a better QB than the prospects coming out this year! Though I'm not an evaluator of talent I would guess that he could be had for a second round choice,but a third and a fourth aren't likely to get it done.Sorry Cleveland fans.Tampa will offer a second an maybe BB makes the trade.

I think Geno Smith is a better QB, but Mallett isn't far behind. He's easily the #2 QB in this draft. However, I don't think that means a team would trade a top 10 pick for him and that's where almost all the QB needy teams are. 

The two teams who would most likely trade for Mallett are the Bucs and Browns. I think we can all agree to that. If a trade were to happen I could see these types of trades in the works:

Tampa:

Best this year - #13 for #29 and Mallett

Most likely - #43 for Mallett

Could happen - #73 and conditional 2nd rounder that can turn into a 2014 1st for Mallett

Clev:

Best this year - Phil Taylor, #68, and 4th for Mallett, #91, and 7th

Most likely - #68 and conditional 3rd that could turn into a 2nd next year for Mallett

Could happen - #6 for #29, Mallett, and conditional mid round pick next year

I would take any of the above of course moving up and grabbing one of the top DTs in the draft or Milliner would be a dream.

I think Barkley and Smith are the 2 worst QB prospects I've seen come out possibly all my life.

I don't even think either is a 1st rd caliber QB. Barkley definitely isn't.

You are definately wrong here sir! Barkley is a retired Basketball Player!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

I could see Cleveland easily trading #6 to say the 49s for their first, and a boatload of other picks likely including a second, third and fourth.

They could then trade for Mallet with the 49s first, or with a second and fourth, or whatever.

They could also probably get a trade in the #15 range with a second rounder.

They will obviously have lots of options at #6 and one is to convert it to multiple later picks.

There are a few teams out there with too many picks that will be desperate to consolidate for higher picks or shift the into next year.

The only thing I would be hesistent about Browns trading #6 to 49ers then trading 49ers picks to us is that usually pick for pick trades don't happen until right before the highest pick is made. After that it takes a tad longer to trade a player for a pick. Now they have all night for the 2nd rounder which would most likely be the case in that scenerio, but it's hard to plan a trade around another trade if or if not it happens so the 49ers 1st might be a bit hard to pull off. But say the Browns get the 49ers 1st, and one each of their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (they have two in each round) I could see the Browns flipping either the 2nd pick (if it's the early 2nd) or a 2nd and a 4th (if it's the late 2nd) to the Pats for Mallett. They essentially be trading #6 for Mallett, a late 1st, and a 3rd. But then comes the question if Star is available at #6 would you rather have the 2nd and our first or trade our 1st and 3rd along with Mallett to move up to #6 for Star?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

If trading Mallet as part of a package turned into Star that would be EPIC.  Assuming his health checks out the guy is a complete monster.  We know what BB thought of Warren Sapp and that he wanted to trade up for him.  I wonder what he thinks of Star.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Regardless of what the wannabe talent graders here on BDC think Mallett is a better QB than anyone coming out in this years draft and that is pure fact,just by being TB's b/u for one year he has proffessional level training both on and off the field which automatically ensures he's a better QB than the prospects coming out this year! Though I'm not an evaluator of talent I would guess that he could be had for a second round choice,but a third and a fourth aren't likely to get it done.Sorry Cleveland fans.Tampa will offer a second an maybe BB makes the trade.

I think Geno Smith is a better QB, but Mallett isn't far behind. He's easily the #2 QB in this draft. However, I don't think that means a team would trade a top 10 pick for him and that's where almost all the QB needy teams are. 

The two teams who would most likely trade for Mallett are the Bucs and Browns. I think we can all agree to that. If a trade were to happen I could see these types of trades in the works:

Tampa:

Could happen - #73 and conditional 2nd rounder that can turn into a 2014 1st for Mallett

Clev:

Best this year - Phil Taylor, #68, and 4th for Mallett, #91, and 7th

Most likely - #68 and conditional 3rd that could turn into a 2nd next year for Mallett

I would take any of the above of course moving up and grabbing one of the top DTs in the draft or Milliner would be a dream.

I think Barkley and Smith are the 2 worst QB prospects I've seen come out possibly all my life.

I don't even think either is a 1st rd caliber QB. Barkley definitely isn't.

Kiper had Barkley as the 3rd QB off the board last year going #4 to the Browns before Barkley pulled out of the draft. I understand Kiper doesnt have your intelligence and experience in the draft, but I think his opinion carries a little weight. Sure he is wrong, and wrong often, but if he had him going before Weeden and Tanneyhill last year, says something about Barkley

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

More proof that the #Browns had no interest in #Patriots QB Ryan Mallett

Our pal Fred Greetham, who has worked for TheOBR.com on Scout's network, is reporting that the Cleveland Browns were never seriously interested in the services of Patriots quarterback Ryan Mallett.

Gretham explains that the Lombardi - Belichick connection got many scribes floating rumors of the Mallett to the Browns trade interest that just wasn't there.

"And another thing has come clear as league types plugged into the situation reveal things: The Ryan Mallett rumors are nothing more than rumors. The Browns have not seriously pursued Mallett, a backup in New England, and barring something unforeseen (the usual caveat) he will not be joining the Browns."

"The team’s position on Mallet is not to comment on him. Asked on Monday if he could say whether the Browns inquired about Mallett, Banner said: “(I) can’t, just because I won’t answer that about anybody.”

“I’m glad he plays for our team,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said.

"It became clear from talking to league insiders that rumors about Mallett were merely floated because of General Manager Mike Lombardi’s previous affiliation with Belichick and the fact that Lombardi as a television analyst had spoken highly of Mallett."

More from our sister site at FOXSportsOhio.com : Read more ›7 minutes ago

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/story/Browns-quarterback-Weeden-yes-Mallett-no?blockID=881723&feedID=3725

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

mallett is no more proven in the NFL than a top draft pick and being a great's back up is no guarantee of greatness

anyone who gives more than a 3rd rd pick for mallet is crazy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

How about any QB is availble? Will Arizona keep Hoyer? Will the Jets keep 5 QBs?

Resign Edelman as 3rd string emergency QB, then just sign one of the many FAs out there.

Does it really matter who the back up is? If Brady went down, what's the difference? The drop off from elite to back up is huge now.

Charlie Batch would make sense since he's done it for so long.

If Brady goes down for the season, it very well may be meaningless. But if he went down for just 3-4 games, it really does matter who the backup is, because those few games could affect the standings at year end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

No way mallet goes for less then a 3 rd.  if so it's multiple picks. You don't buy property, pay 100 k then sell it for 95 k 3 years later.   If not this year there's next year.  If he's in the conversation then someone thinks he's worth something. I want phil Taylor.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Tampa:

RESPONSE: Cleveland picks 6th, not 13th. Would the chance of nabbing a franchise QB be worth dropping 23 spots? This would give the Pats a shot at a blue-chip talent, like OLB Jarvis Jones, , DE Bjoern Werner, WR Cordarrelle Patterson, CB Dee Milner, or OT Eric Fisher. This is tempting. 

RESPONSE: Okay...but, in addition, I'd seek to also regain the 4th rounder from the Talib deal.

RESPONSE: No! I wouldn't trade Mallett for the 73rd pick (which is about where the Pats picked Mallett in 2011), and a conditional anything. The Pats only have 5 picks this year, and will likely use their 91st overall pick on a deal to nab WR Emanuel Sanders. I'd consider the 73rd overall pick, the late 4th rounder that T.B. got for Talib, and their second rounder in 2014.

Eng...ask yourself this. If Mallett was available as, say, a supplemental draftee, where would he be drafted? Where would Mallett be ranked amongst this years' QB class? My guess is 2nd overall, behind Geno Smith. The year Mallet was drafted (2011), Cleveland GM Mike Lombardi had him ranked as the best QB in that class, with the possible exception of Cam Newton. Newton went first overall, Jake Locker went 8th,  Blaine Gabbert went 10th, Christian Poner 12th, Andy Dalton went 35th, and Colin Kaepernick went 36th.       

Clev:

Best this year - Phil Taylor, #68, and 4th for Mallett, #91, and 7th:

RESPONSE: No! Mallett for the 68th pick, Cleveland's 5th rounder, and Phil Taylor...straight up.

RESPONSE: No! I'd rather have the deal above with Taylor. Not enough compensation.  I'd consider it only if Cleveland also threw in their 5th rounder as well, and their 2nd rounder in 2014, with no strings attached.  

RESPONSE: Tempting. Again, I'd ask to have Cleveland's 6th rounder this year to be included. Still, if a player that the Pats' really like is still available at the 6th overall pick, I could see BB doing the deal...straight up.    

RESPONSE: Getting Millner would be a possibility, if the Pats had the 6th overall pick. 

Much depends where the QBs fall. My guess is that Geno Smith will be a top 5 pick. Arizona, Cleveland, Jets, Buffalo, Philly, and Oakland have QB issues. Look for Carson Palmer to possibly be released.  Four QBs, Smith, Ryan Nassib, E.J. Manuel, and Matt Barkley will likely be drafted within the first 35 picks. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says that "some still think" the Browns will make another pitch for Ryan Mallett.

Mallett is an ideal fit for the Browns' new vertical offense, and it's still not out of the question that he'll be pursued to compete with Brandon Weeden. GM Mike Lombardi has told NFL Network that if a trade happens, it won't be until April. Related:  Browns   Source:  Cleveland Plain Dealer Mar 23 - 9:04 PM

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The deal I would do is Mallett and the Pats first for the Browns first (6th overall) and I would not entirely discount BB trading down from 6th overall. The real question is who would Belichick want at 6th overall and if these rumors are all just a smokescreen to generate interest in Mallet during a weak QB draft. BB probably won't take anything less than 2nd round pick. There is no logic in essentially trading a 3rd round pick for (lo and behold) a 3rd round pick. Would the man who traded Cassell for a 2nd round pick (drafted in the 7th round) trade for a pick in a lower round? Doesn't make any sense. Without off-field issues Mallet gets drafted as a high second round pick.  You can't discount Lombardi's interest; if the draft shows us anything its that GMs become enamoured with certain players (see trade for Sanchez pick).

Taylor's presence in any trade rumor changes things alot. If the Pats get Taylor, the might be lucky to get a 4th rounder; probably more like a 5th or a 6th (grab a kicker?). If this happens than DT is no longer a need in 2013 draft. But like I said this could all be a smokescreen to generate interest in Mallet up to draft day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

The deal I would do is Mallett and the Pats first for the Browns first (6th overall) and I would not entirely discount BB trading down from 6th overall. The real question is who would Belichick want at 6th overall and if these rumors are all just a smokescreen to generate interest in Mallet during a weak QB draft. BB probably won't take anything less than 2nd round pick. There is no logic in essentially trading a 3rd round pick for (lo and behold) a 3rd round pick. Would the man who traded Cassell for a 2nd round pick (drafted in the 7th round) trade for a pick in a lower round? Doesn't make any sense. Without off-field issues Mallet gets drafted as a high second round pick.  You can't discount Lombardi's interest; if the draft shows us anything its that GMs become enamoured with certain players (see trade for Sanchez pick).

Taylor's presence in any trade rumor changes things alot. If the Pats get Taylor, the might be lucky to get a 4th rounder; probably more like a 5th or a 6th (grab a kicker?). If this happens than DT is no longer a need in 2013 draft. But like I said this could all be a smokescreen to generate interest in Mallet up to draft day.

TOO FUNNY!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So now that the Browns have picked up Jason Campbell I guess Mallet won't be going there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

So now that the Browns have picked up Jason Campbell I guess Mallet won't be going there.

yes...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I think there is still a good chance Mallett gets traded. Campbell is a backup, Lombardi loved Mallett when he was coming out of college and he has the arm for Norv Turner's vertical offense. Its just a matter on whether or not he

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I think there is still a good chance Mallett gets traded. Campbell is a backup, Lombardi loved Mallett when he was coming out of college and he has the arm for Norv Turner's vertical offense. Its just a matter on whether or not he

They have McCoy, Weeden and Campbell do u think they will get another QB?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to Homecheese's comment:

They have McCoy, Weeden and Campbell do u think they will get another QB?

I don't see why not. All 3 of those guys have shown what they can do and one of them could be traded or released. I think they should trade McCoy to a west coast offense since he doesn't have the arm strength. I wouldn't mind McCoy here as a backup, maybe a 2nd rounder and McCoy for Mallett?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

theres always a possible chance he gets traded,a 1st rd draft pick is very unlikely, if the team is asking a 1st rd draft pick,it means they want to keep him,and may settle for a 2nd round pick the guy has nevered played in real games,preseason dosent count

Sections
Shortcuts