Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Mallett

Loved the kid, actually called the pick.....

That being said...Is he showing the effects of being allowed to rust by sitting on the bench for 2+ years? Or, perhaps simply not that good?

I, more than anyone, thought he had great trade value. Now I sit there watching him and thinking "can it be possible that the Pats have no one to back up TB?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Mallett

Impossible to know about Mallet from the evidence we have. But looking at what he is supposed to have for skills, he probably isn't going to be a good NFL starter.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Impossible to know about Mallet from the evidence we have. . . . . . . . 

I am in absolute agreement in this assessment, Babe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I still think he is a very good back-up, but I was wrong in thinking that he could net us a second rounder in a trade.  There is no trade value there.  That may be for the best, too.  I like having him on the roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I asked about this guy a couple of months ago.  I was stunned by the love affair people were having with him.  It just made no sense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

He is a real smart QB, has arguably the strongest arm in the NFL and can see the entire field. He needs steady reps...which he won't see here.

Needs to work on short to intermediate touch passes, but that will comwince the rust is off. He did not have that issue in college, and has shown to be lights out in some practices....

The skills are there for a pro bowl player in the right system....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

some folks actually think his trade value is a #1, but based on what? No, even last night's performance probably doesn't mean much. He had his ups and downs. Obviously, has a very strong arm. Maybe can't throw some passes w/ touch.  Appeared to make one really really bad throw for every 2-3 good throws.  This could simply be due to rust, lack of reps, lack of real time professional experience.

Still better than Tebow, so far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

He is a real smart QB, has arguably the strongest arm in the NFL and can see the entire field. He needs steady reps...which he won't see here.

Needs to work on short to intermediate touch passes, but that will comwince the rust is off. He did not have that issue in college, and has shown to be lights out in some practices....

The skills are there for a pro bowl player in the right system....

I disagree. I think this kid has had more than enough reps to show something (he has played in 11 preseason games) and has had plenty of reps in training camp. I have yet to see him string together more than a handfull of good passes, or decisions, in a row. I don't know (or care) how smart he is, I've seen plenty of highly intelligent QB's play dumb on the field and explain their mistakes brilliantly after the game.

I did see him make a couple of real nice passes - I want to say he threaded a bullet to Thompkins between two defenders, but I'm always worried he is going to make throws and decisions that kill drives....because that's all he's done. Hope I am wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

What we've heard about Mallett for a while is that he has an arm, but he isn't always accurate and he lacks touch.  Hurries his throws and at times too.  So far, I'd say there is some good to go along with the bad and that the assessment of his strengths and weaknesses is right on.  But like Matt Cassel proved after a poor preseason some years ago, until you're out there with the starters and getting regular reps you're just an unknown quantity.  I don't think his preseason has been awful, but I just don't see that he has catapulted himself into surefire NFL starter status, either. 

Mallett's high draft pick trade value that some have been predicting looks to be elusive at this point.  That said, he was probably never going to get his shot in NE anyway, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him playing for someone down the road.         

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

What we've heard about Mallett for a while is that he has an arm, but he isn't always accurate and he lacks touch.  Hurries his throws and at times too.  So far, I'd say there is some good to go along with the bad and that the assessment of his strengths and weaknesses is right on.  But like Matt Cassel proved after a poor preseason some years ago, until you're out there with the starters and getting regular reps you're just an unknown quantity.  I don't think his preseason has been awful, but I just don't see that he has catapulted himself into surefire NFL starter status, either. 

Mallett's high draft pick trade value that some have been predicting looks to be elusive at this point.  That said, he was probably never going to get his shot in NE anyway, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him playing for someone down the road.         

I totally agree with this. It's impossible to judge just how good this kid is until he has real time with the starting line-up, which he'll probably never see. Cassell looked way worse in preseason, and ended up being pretty decent when he was forced to play with the starters.

I am fine with Mallett as our back-up. Can anyone name a better option behind Brady at this point? What are we going to do, bring in another back-up with no experience in our system? This kid has the physical tools....but still hasn't been given a (real) chance yet. Playing with a bunch of 2nd & 3rd stringers proves nothing.

Sections
Shortcuts