Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate

I actually believe that Mangini never meant for this whole thing to blow up and take a life of its own.  Based on everything I've read over the years, here are my takeaways:

1. The league put teams on notice about filming and the Pats sort of ignored it

2. Mangini and BB had a falling out; BB was likely pi$$ed tha Mangini took a job within the division

3. Mangini, trying to be his own man as a head coach, wasn't going to let the Pats get away with what he knew was against league policy -- I bet he thought BB was rubbing his nose in it a bit

4. The filming never gave the Pats any real advantage, as even Mangini admits, but the fallout gave the whole league a chance to call the Pats' success into question

5. The league had to act swiftly and harshly to set an example, even if reasonable people know that what the Pats did was commonplace up until the league notice and not really that big of a deal

It's a mea culpa from Mangini, and maybe it's a bit self serving because I agree with others that it seems he's become a bit of a pariah around the league.  Regardless, it's been a ridiculous story for how long now?  Harbaugh can't leave it alone after what, 5-6 years?  Give me a break.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Maybe this will finally be the end of Spygate.

I don't think that another active coach will make a comment on spygate again, regardless of what they think. (Except maybe Rex)

And talking heads on ESPN are now on notice that Bruschi will clobber them if they speak up.

And Eric has suffered enough for his mistake. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate:
    [QUOTE]I actually believe that Mangini never meant for this whole thing to blow up and take a life of its own.  Based on everything I've read over the years, here are my takeaways: 1. The league put teams on notice about filming and the Pats sort of ignored it 2. Mangini and BB had a falling out; BB was likely pi$$ed tha Mangini took a job within the division 3. Mangini, trying to be his own man as a head coach, wasn't going to let the Pats get away with what he knew was against league policy -- I bet he thought BB was rubbing his nose in it a bit 4. The filming never gave the Pats any real advantage, as even Mangini admits, but the fallout gave the whole league a chance to call the Pats' success into question 5. The league had to act swiftly and harshly to set an example, even if reasonable people know that what the Pats did was commonplace up until the league notice and not really that big of a deal It's a mea culpa from Mangini, and maybe it's a bit self serving because I agree with others that it seems he's become a bit of a pariah around the league.  Regardless, it's been a ridiculous story for how long now?  Harbaugh can't leave it alone after what, 5-6 years?  Give me a break.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Good post.
    The fact is that what the Pats were doing was against the rules. The league had specifically put teams on notice that it was against the rules. And the Pats continued to do it. That is what pissed off the commish. Didn't really matter who or when it got exposed, it would have been exposed at some point and the hammer would have fallen.
    This is not disimilar to what is happening with the Saints in terms of the severity of penalties - except they ignored the commish (and lied to him) for 3 years instead of one.
    Football needs a strong commissioner to keep order. I would rather he go overboard than be a paper tiger.
    As for Mangini - I do believe he never believed it would get blown so out of proportion. And as for him being employed - he got another job and failed again as a HC. I don't think he is being blackballed because of 'spygate'. I think he just lost his luster as a genius with two failed HC gigs. I actually think he is pretty good in his current gig.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate : Add those two things together and you end up with the pigskin equivalent of jaywalking turned into a double homicide through the media-perception lens..
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

You've done a fabulous job of summing up the so-called "spygate scandal" in one sentence. It was indeed a case of the media and an overzealous, over-reacting Commissioner, turning a case of jaywalking into a double homicide. 

Well done, my friend!!   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

After reading the preceding 3 posts from hardright, CablesWyndBairn and mia76 I have to say that you 3 have pretty much summed it up for me. 

I don't like what Mangini did but I do understand why he did it.  That the term Spygate endures is purely a function of the media.

Jaywalking transfromed into a double homicide indeed!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Man, Belichick has cache.  He's got more formers in the media than probably another coach and they are coming back to defend him and or apologize to him. 
    People need to be men and stand up for their actions and words. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Well said by peeps above.  One thing just to keep in mind is that BB can be a smug guy.  He likes to flip off the league and all the perceived nonsense that surrounds the game of football.  That's why he tears the arms off his hoodie, its why he never takes pictures with other coaches at the annual meetings, its why he doesn't allow video game companies to use his likeness.  He's a purist about the game of football and everything outside of that is just meaningless drivel. 

UD6...he doesn't come out and say anything because he thinks its all nonsense.  See above.

The commish was right to smack him and the Pats down.  Mangini was right to call the Pats out on it.  BB should have known better and respected the memo that went out.  What disappoints me most is that all those players who NEVER got the credit they earned and deserved because of who the coach was, will never outside of NE, get credit for being outstanding players.  Those teams had some serious stones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Well said by peeps above.  One thing just to keep in mind is that BB can be a smug guy.  He likes to flip off the league and all the perceived nonsense that surrounds the game of football.  That's why he tears the arms off his hoodie, its why he never takes pictures with other coaches at the annual meetings, its why he doesn't allow video game companies to use his likeness.  He's a purist about the game of football and everything outside of that is just meaningless drivel.  UD6...he doesn't come out and say anything because he thinks its all nonsense.  See above. The commish was right to smack him and the Pats down.  Mangini was right to call the Pats out on it.  BB should have known better and respected the memo that went out.  What disappoints me most is that all those players who NEVER got the credit they earned and deserved because of who the coach was, will never outside of NE, get credit for being outstanding players.  Those teams had some serious stones.
    Posted by Ytsejamer1[/QUOTE]

The only thing about your post I take issue with is that Belichick "should have known better".  He does know better.  He chose to disregard the rule. 

That team's defense (as a whole) was as good for at least a half decade as any in the league.  Its why they won when they did.  Look at them today.  They can win games, but they are not good enough to stop the opposition when it matters most.  Their old team could.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate : The only thing about your post I take issue with is that Belichick "should have known better".  He does know better.  He chose to disregard the rule.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    This is true, and it's the reason for the harsh punishment.  Belichick didn't think the taping was a big deal; it was pretty much known throughout the NFL, and the Pats never really made any effort to hide their cameraman.  He chose to disregard the 2006(?) memo clarifying the taping rule, and Goodell brought the hammer down on him for thumbing his nose at the league.

It's the same reason the Saints punishment was so harsh.  The Saints were warned about bounties, but they continued to do it.  Their punishment was worse because they not only continued to do it, they actually tried to cover it up.  If the Pats had tried to destroy their existing tapes when Goodell started investigating them, Belichick would have been suspended for a year also.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe this will finally be the end of Spygate. I don't think that another active coach will make a comment on spygate again, regardless of what they think. (Except maybe Rex) And talking heads on ESPN are now on notice that Bruschi will clobber them if they speak up. And Eric has suffered enough for his mistake. 
    Posted by jimijazz[/QUOTE]

There will never be an end to spygate because...

When ESPN or any other sports writer or media outlet needs to stir up some controversy they'll drag this out.

Fans of perennial losers or teams the Pats have beaten often in the playoffs  ( see Ravens ) will always whine about it to deflect from their own team's shortcomings.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

I will do the indefensible and defend Mangini:

Perhaps he knew the camera was being used, knew that it was ireleveant, but still wanted to shake things up a bit and annoy belichick to draw his ire.  He complains to security, they take the camera, Belichick gets annoyed that mangini played with his head and it's all done.  No one ever hears about it any more than when he blasted the air conditioning in the Patriots locker room last december or gave a flat tire to the Patriots team bus, just a few laughs and that's it. and then KABOOM - Goodell gets involved, investigation, national outrage, Arlen Specter, ESPN, Matt Walsh blah blah blah ad nauseum....

He regrets it, he really may do and not just because he is screwed professionally.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]From now on instead of teams man'ing up and accepting the ramifications for cheating, the whistle blower should be the one that is villified.  Try this on.  Don't cheat and you won't get caught and have to lie about and then have your accomplishments brought into question. Mangini, like nearly every other BB disciple, was an awful coach.  For some reason, teams think Tom Brady's ability to carry a team for a decade equates to a coaching staff that deserves jobs elsewhere.  It's just not true.  
    Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]

Tripping players and blaming another team and screaming "they do it too". (for which they had to apologize and pay a fine)
    Tampering and holding illegal team activities.
    Sound familiar?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]From now on instead of teams man'ing up and accepting the ramifications for cheating, the whistle blower should be the one that is villified.  Try this on.  Don't cheat and you won't get caught and have to lie about and then have your accomplishments brought into question.

QQ

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]I will do the indefensible and defend Mangini: Perhaps he knew the camera was being used, knew that it was ireleveant, but still wanted to shake things up a bit and annoy belichick to draw his ire.  He complains to security, they take the camera, Belichick gets annoyed that mangini played with his head and it's all done.  No one ever hears about it any more than when he blasted the air conditioning in the Patriots locker room last december or gave a flat tire to the Patriots team bus, just a few laughs and that's it. and then KABOOM - Goodell gets involved, investigation, national outrage, Arlen Specter, ESPN, Matt Walsh blah blah blah ad nauseum.... He regrets it, he really may do and not just because he is screwed professionally.
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]
    Im with you. It is time to drop it. Mangini is not as bad as many on this board insist to portray him. He never has anything but good things to say about Belichick and the Pats. He screwed up. Grudges are for children.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]From now on instead of teams man'ing up and accepting the ramifications for cheating, the whistle blower should be the one that is villified.  Try this on.  Don't cheat and you won't get caught and have to lie about and then have your accomplishments brought into question. Mangini, like nearly every other BB disciple, was an awful coach.  For some reason, teams think Tom Brady's ability to carry a team for a decade equates to a coaching staff that deserves jobs elsewhere.  It's just not true.  

Or just cheat out in the open like the Jets did and trip another teams player as he runs up the sideline. Ryan and his whole band of idiots should have been taken down for that, just like Payton was in New Orleans. No way he did not know about that plot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayco. Show Jayco's posts

[QUOTE]Nothing more I hate then a lil Rat! Whiskers and all!!  Looking like Splinter from the Ninja Turtles! 1.) He left prematurely to take on a H.C. job he wasnt ready for when he was part of a great thing and was pretty good as a DB coach(he was average as a D.C.) 2.) After his little victory against us he must of thought he arrived and then he got embarrased and ran outta town and proceeded to fail in Cleveland where he had balloned into a Pig instead of a Rat and offered Nothing as far as a head coach and now is forced to be a lil beyotch for ESPN and analyse B.S. when he would rather be coaching! Screw you, You fr iggin Rat!  Go Jump in A River you Shhhhhhmuck!
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Yes.

As I recall, when Mangini told Belichik about the job offer from the Jets, Belichik tried to tell him he was not ready for a head coaching gig yet.

This apparently infuriated Mangini, who not only left the team with a notebook (computer) with all the team's defensive info on it, he openly recruited coaches from the staff to bolt and join him in New York.

That must have sent Belichik into paroxyms of ecstasy.

You can probably deduce what happened subsequently, and why.

But what gets me is, later that season, when the Jets played at Foxboro, they "allegedly" did that same thing, but the league refused to act or investigate, and while not calling the Patriots liars, they did say about the incident, "We'll just have to agree to disagree"!

This "mea culpa" looks like it's designed to make him feel and look better to himself, and if others buy in to it, so much the better.

The time for truth is when you're in power. It's that simple.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate : wa wa waaaaaaaaaaaa
    Nice retort. Moron

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate : Nice retort. Moron
    Posted by oh-my-beard[/QUOTE]

That's all he knows how to do.
    43 years of failure will do that to a girl.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate : *2001 *2003 *2004 Zero untainted titles.  No superbowl wins since the cheating was uncovered.  End of story. Just the the Sox asterisk, must be something in the water up there.

1969 to present , No titles, despite cheatin the whole time.
    Not one trophy to even put an * next to, just a big fat "F" for failure every single year since man landed on the moon.
    Lose much?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I'd say most of you need to listen to Tedy's comments again and just move on. Five years ago, who cares. Like Tedy said, let some slappy on a social media site say what they want, who cares.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate : Yes, it's exactly the same thing.  To this day, nobody has ever accepted the blame for that trip and the league did nothing about it.  And every time it's brought up, Jets fans claim that tripping is not really against the rules anyway.
    No, its not the same thing, it is 100 times worse. Intentionally tripping and attempting to injure an opposing teams player as the game is going on is way worse than having a camera in an 'inappropriate filming position', regardless of whether the idiot accepted blame for it or not. What that guy did was as bad or worse than the pay to injure scandal in New Orleans, at least those were players on the field. But somehow the Jets skate with only a minor fine.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate : *2001 *2003 *2004 Zero untainted titles.  No superbowl wins since the cheating was uncovered.  End of story. Just the the Sox asterisk, must be something in the water up there.

Unfortunately this is only true in your feeble brain.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mangini Mea Culpa on Spygate :      You've done a fabulous job of summing up the so-called "spygate scandal" in one sentence. It was indeed a case of the media and an overzealous, over-reacting Commissioner, turning a case of jaywalking into a double homicide.       Well done, my friend!!   
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with your take on the Commish's handling of the Pat's penalty phase. All teams were notified to refrain from the activity of WHERE to film from, and then the Pats were specifically put on  notice. yet, BB ran teh risk and made a decision to continue in the activity after His Highness distinctly told them to stop. Message sent out: You Don't Mess With The Commish When He Gives You An Order. Unfortunately, the Pats now understand the message the hard way. Too bad that the Bayou Bunglers never heeded this show of force and lied for 3 years. But, they deserve the penalties they all received. I think the Commish would have been well within his rights to have lowered the boom even further, like possibly having the league run the team for at least 1 season, seeing how they opted to lie to him for three seasons.

I can't remember the first time I told my Dad that the punishment he just gave me didn't fit the infraction. Doubt if I'd be chewing food with my own teeth, or if I'd still be walking this Earth! The only opinion that really matters is that of teh folks metting out the punishment.

I haven't seen anythi8ng from Indy Dogggggg yet. Either he hasn't heard the news in backwater Fly Over Country, or he's living in denial that The Rat would ever say such a thing now. First Pay-a-ton and now this.... NIT a very good offseason for him. Oh, the humanity!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Mangoine...I'm going to break it down for you as briefly as I can.  Videotaping signals is NOT illegal, therefore, not cheating.  Doing it from field level IS illegal and the Pats (BB) knew about it, yet ignored it.  Had they been in an authorized area, it would have been fine.

Don't be so obtuse...your team was doing it too.  Mangini authorized the same thing in the previous year.  Pats didn't make anything of it...chalking it up to gameday one-ups-manship.  When Herm was coach, he would wave at our guys and smile.