Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice

In Response to Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice:
    In Response to Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice : It would seem like a bit of a square-one move to me. They will have the cap space, but letting go of the one piece that would make that group elite would seem foolish.  
    Posted by zbellino

true.
    i wish we were as interested in having (willing to risk drafting or signing fa's for)  an elite denese.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I'm thinking Carimi at 28 would have been able to step right in for Mankins, and backup both tackles as well. Plus save millions on cap for elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

He's not going anywhere. This team's made obvious moves to control the clock more with a ground game and that's where he's the best in the league.

If anyone here can say they didn't see a change in that offense when he came back last year they're full of it.

I'd also like to add that his contract situation is between himself, the head coach and Mr. Kraft. The only thing we should care about is putting the best players possible on the field and unless there's someone I don't know about, I'll take Mankins.

You guys sound like you're writing the freaking check

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Sam, he is a difference maker and I hope there is some middle ground.  But if there's one thing I abhor it's when a guy making a good living as an athlete tries to play the sympathy card through the media.  The common man cannot relate, and it comes across wrong.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3ade30d630-7ce4-438a-9eb5-3deb66d110c4&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:de30d630-7ce4-438a-9eb5-3deb66d110c4Post:e46bf81e-c65d-4c96-b985-8aa29cb021ef">Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice:
    Sam, he is a difference maker and I hope there is some middle ground.  But if there's one thing I abhor it's when a guy making a good living as an athlete tries to play the sympathy card through the media.  The common man cannot relate, and it comes across wrong.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

TBH with you I despise how much they all make and you're totally right about not relating.
    I know the story, they offered him top dollar, he refused, he made public comments, Mr. Kraft made public comments, Jonathan Kraft made public comments, the media beat it to death, all of us beat it to death, the truth is he came back and made a significant difference to the protection and the overall performance of that line and that's who I want to see out on the field.

CWB, if I thought for a minute that we the fan could see the result of lowering players salaries I'd be very interested in what Mankins makes for money. Because the price of tickets will never drop, because I know I'll never go rolling into a parking lot on Rte 1 and see "free parking" or go to a beer stand and pay $2.50 for a beer than all I can ask for is to have the best players on the field as possible so that I can hopefully leave happy with a win and feel like the money was worth it.

If I can't relate to $10-mil I can't relate to $14-mil either so let's pay a proven stud lineman what we have to so we can win while Tom Brady still has a contract here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

The Pats DID offer to pay a proven stud lineman to protect Tom Brady a VERY fair contract....fair wasn't good enough it has to be the most at his position....Mankins isn't John H. or even close to what he was...trade him & get a guy who's hungry & wants to be here....don't open a can of worms where all players start doing the same thing....Mankis is a prime example of why the lockout is in place....GREED!!!!!!
    MANKINS CAN GO POUND SAND....he's my LEAST favorite Patriot!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

YOU PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS
    YOU LOSER FANS THINK YOU"RE SO GREAT BUT REALLY YOU ARE LOW LIFE LOSERS

Why would you want mankins gone because he make more $ than you and you are jealous of him????

DO you want to win a superbowl or do you want to lose in the playoffs.  Mankins is a great player and if we lose him it will hurt the team WHO DOESN"T UNDERSTAND THIS????

YOu idiotic jealous loser fans.  Only jealous little babies would want mankins gone. 
    the options are:  1. sign the guy and have a great O-Line, or let him walk and have a poor O-line.....  If you have any real football knowledge you would know which one to pick BUT most of you fat losers fhave no football knowledge so you think with your fragile ego.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice : It would seem like a bit of a square-one move to me. They will have the cap space, but letting go of the one piece that would make that group elite would seem foolish.  
    Posted by zbellino

This guy is smarter then all of you jealous fat losers...   letting go a piece that would make the group elite would be foolish.  what don't you fragile ego little morons understand.  You never want to pay good players, pay the man his $ and keep the o-line elite

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Why does every boston sports fan cry when players want to be paid.  mankins is worth the money, keep the guy and win SB or let him walk and what ....  finding a mankins replacement is not easy.

remeber 06 and branch if they would've kept branch they would've done a lot better in the afc champ game in which we started 2 terrible wr, one that dropped the game winning TD in the endzone.  we got a draft pick and draft meriweather... then traded back for branch...
    do you really think that was a good move or do you think they should've paid branch and won the sb in 06??

do you people care about your fragile egos or winning SB????????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMex2. Show RonMex2's posts

Cannon will replace Mankins....This site has good video on him

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMex2. Show RonMex2's posts

Cannon will take Mankins job

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

fancy-shamanski:so by your logic, forget the salry cap, don't offer fair contracts just pay them what they want, don't worry about how that approach will effect the future of the team when dealing with players contracts & Mankins hasn't shown up in a playoff game yet....

& Branch was offered a fair deal too HE decided to move on...besides the Pats had a huge lead & the D collapsed....granted our recievers were bad but 1 play does not make or break a game.....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Please the team has plenty of money and cap space to pay mankins.  I still feel like they will, but i am so tired of the unknowledgeable fans always crying when a great player wants money just because they don't have money.  Mankins is definitely needed and losing him would be a huge set back.  You people think the best gaurd in the nfl is easily replaceable??  Further more i don't think you have any clue about the realities of the salary cap and payroll.
    If you had real knowledge you would know that with careful bookworking there is a HUGE difference between payroll and salary cap.  Do you understand this concept and the difference??  Check this out and look up the difference now.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/team

The team can afford to take on a lot more salary, they have a lot of very young and cheap players, and they are also freeing up a lot of space with moss' $ coming off.  they can easily afford him. 

Additionally if you didn't see the difference mankins made last year then i don't know what to tell you.  He substantially upgraded the o-line and the offense. just like brady and wilfork some players need to be paid their $ and need to be kept. plain and simple.
    BOOO YA

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Thank you  Rusty a good post and agree

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Wow you are on drugs or something????

First of all I am blatantly stating you have no clue about the difference between cap and payroll.  if you did you would know that mankins can easily be afforded and not put this team in any significant cap worries.  LOOK AT THE STATS junior.

Second you somehow think that the pats success had to do with running first and passing second.  The pats had some success at running, but the real success came from throwing like crazy.  Did you watch any games last season???  You do realize brady passed up a storm and most of it came once mankins returned. maybe there is a conection maybe not...  Brady had one of his best passing seasons last year.  you're losing 2-0 now.

As for the ravens game where we "ran all over them"  yeah right do you remember that game?  check the stats, BGE and woodhead only combined for 80 whopping yards. The reason that they won, if you remember, was branch had a huge game and came up with big catches...

Sorry to own you and I know you'd never admit you're wrong, but my point stands. Some of the more knowledgeable and pragmatic fans on here know exactly what's going on.

Letting mankins walk to save some money on a team that has plenty of cap space and one of the absolute lowest payrolls in the league  would be a terrible move.  It would make the team weaker in both the short and long term.  There are some players in a certain mold of skill, leadership, and work ethic, that you keep, those being tom brady, wilfork, mankins, and soon to be Mayo.  If the team had major cap concerns then it could be reconsidered.  If mankins salary demands somehow turn out to be absolutely ridic then maybe let him go, but he will sign for the ballpark of 7.5-8 mill per (he rejected 7 mill per) which is very affordable.  Mankins is a keeper.

If he walks it will hurt the teams chances of winning a SB, and after going 14-2 and being loaded they need to keep him.  If they let him walk and spent the money on a impactful OLB then that might not be bad, but i don't think you understand that the pats are trying to win the SB now.
     Letting mankins walk would hurt the team in both the short term and long term.  After the draft they have 2 needs O-line and olb, and have great depth at other positions. That's pretty good.  Why let mankins walk because you're p1ssed that he makes more $ than you and are p!ssed that he wants to be paid like a top OG?  Get over yourself and put the team first in the true pats form...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Also its the billionaire krafts $ anyways so what do you care.  If they don't pay mankins then kraft can add like 30-40 mill to his already billion???

the options are:
    1. pay mankins with krafts $ and field a better team and win more games   OR
    2. Don't pay him, put more millions into krafts pockets and have a weaker team, lose more games.

I'll go with option 1 thankyou, they have the $, they have pplenty of cap space, they have a very low payroll all things considered.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Again, if Mankins won't be happy till he's the highest paid player at his position as apposed to being in the top 3 then lose him....
    As far as being angry he makes millions as opposed to me that is not the case at all....what makes me mad is that the Patriots gave him his shot by making him a first round pick & payed him well....when his contract was up they offered him enough for him & his family to be set for life as well as being able to continue to play for the same team that drafted him & be on a team that is always in contention to win it all....he's acting like a me first person being overly greedy & setting a horrible example of what is in all intense purposes EXTREEMLY reasonable compensation for his role on the team....If Bill & Kraft decide to pay him to keep him than so be it but personally I believe he's a bad fit for the cohesiveness of the front line....I PRAY he signs the tender & the Pats trade him & his over-inflated ego & feelings of entitlement  to a team like St Louis for a second rounder.....let him rot in pergatory there with his exorbantly huge contract & cheap seats to any future playoff hopes....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I agree with fancy's last post and that's what I was trying to say on page 2.

WHO GIVES A CRAP WHAT HE GETS PAID?
    WHY ARE PEOPLE HERE SO CONCERNED WITH WHAT MR. KRAFT IS PAYING PEOPLE?

Like I said, nothing's going back in my pocket so if that's the case I don't really care what they pay him, just put the best player on the field.
    Obviously it's a business and they need to make sure it's profittable but that's between them........I'm a fan of the game, not the business!

These posts should be listed on the business board.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice : You are a stronger man than I...
    Posted by Cyberknot

whoa....see what nature does to a nice set of tads...

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I really couldn't care less about waht Mankins gets paid.  Just don't try to convince fans in the media that you've been mistreated.  And if you're looking to be the top paid at your position despite getting a good offer, then clearly you are worried about you and not the team building context.  Brady took less, Wilfork probably took less, Bruschi, etc. all got that the concept of winning means personal sacrifice in this system.  If that doesn't suit Mankins' philosophy, then fine.  But the Pats are playing by the rules with the Tag and he's being paid a lot to play a game.     

Don't get me wrong, I think Mankins should get paid.  But he should dispense with having his agent fill the papers with doublespeak. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

King you have no facts to back any of your arguments up other than "i hate greedy mankins"  and "I'm so much smarter than you" you tried to say the pats were a run first team last year, end of story.  Pretty weak for a self proclaimed genius... owned

I don't get why boston fans take player negotians so personally get over it.  Mankins is acting kind of stupid, but so what.  Do you want a better team or a worse team.

Sam adams and myself summed it up perfectly.  Its krafts money so what do you care at all.  The pats have plenty of cap space, a very low total payroll, only 2 needs (o-line and olb)  why would you not want to address one of our needs.  Mankins is a very good and solid player, it is highly doubtful that he will get his money and start to play bad like some free agents.  If he goes the team will be weaker and then when they lose in the playoffs you can say "hey we lost, but at least we didn't pay mankins some of krafts billions"  We don't need more future 2nd round draft picks right now, we need a good OG that knows the system.  This is not a small market team with financial problems or a team with cap problems.

Spend a little of krafts money to make the team better.  Ignore your personal vendetta against mankins and win the SB.

Sections
Shortcuts