Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice

I can't help but wonder how personal this battle with Mankins might be for Kraft and maybe even BB. Kraft never got his public apology, and now we are set to pay an unhappy distraction 14 million for one season, if he doesn't sit yet again. First off, Mankins has been a great player for us, and it seems like the right and just thing to have done would be to look for trade options for him anyway. Is Mankins even worth 14 million dollars given that the draft was deep with guards in the 2nd-3rd round range, and given how 2 ellite free agents could eventually be signed with that 14 million (question) Sure we still have a great player, but he is a major malcontent at this point and the other players see the injustice of his situation. How the whole situation is worth 14 million i don't know. Leshoure over Vereen in the 2nd, Moffit over Ridley in the 3rd, and Cannon as a great value in the 5th. Plus a 3rd rounder or so at least for Mankins, plus 14 million in cap space to use elsewhere like olb and deep wr in free agency. What am I missing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice

$14 million won't get you two elite free agents these days. That gets you two good players. Elite players cost something like $14 million each, hence that would be a figure you might throw around for an elite offensive lineman, although the franchise tag for this season at OL is likely set closer to $10 million. 

Judging by what I saw last season, Mankins is totally worth top dollar. He is the best guard in the league, and his return to the team was transformative. 

The NE Patriots might not think they need the best guard in the league, and might spend their money elsewhere, but that is irrelevant. 

As far as the schism between Mank and the ownership, I expect NE to try and hammer out a deal. They worked one out with Wilfork last season, and likely were in a holding pattern with Mankins. 

He is worth $10 million dollars. 

I am sick of a patchwork OL. I want the best OL in football. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Duh

Duh, it's only 10 million dollars.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Yeah, I agree he's worth ten, but like Seymour, his thinking at this point might be "anywhere but NE"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice:
    [QUOTE]I can't help but wonder how personal this battle with Mankins might be for Kraft and maybe even BB. Kraft never got his public apology, and now we are set to pay an unhappy distraction 14 million for one season, if he doesn't sit yet again. First off, Mankins has been a great player for us, and it seems like the right and just thing to have done would be to look for trade options for him anyway. Is Mankins even worth 14 million dollars given that the draft was deep with guards in the 2nd-3rd round range, and given how 2 ellite free agents could eventually be signed with that 14 million (question) Sure we still have a great player, but he is a major malcontent at this point and the other players see the injustice of his situation. How the whole situation is worth 14 million i don't know. Leshoure over Vereen in the 2nd, Moffit over Ridley in the 3rd, and Cannon as a great value in the 5th. Plus a 3rd rounder or so at least for Mankins, plus 14 million in cap space to use elsewhere like olb and deep wr in free agency. What am I missing
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

This draft DID have decent value at the OG spot, more specifically at those OT/OG tweeners...  Next (perhaps "yet"), I'm never so certain about revamping the O-Line at more than 1 spot per, say season...I'm extremely conservative at that spot personally.  And particularly how ANY season wears down, and the Pats in particular, you can count on Kaczur being out (if signed), and IF Mankins isn't signed, that's potentially 3 NEW faces outta 5 on the O-Line...  I mean, what's the best case their in reality if that situation unfolds?  Solder (rookie), Ohrnberger (very little time starting...not even certain he's starter worthy), and ? (ya pray for a good FA vet at OG...but even these days stud OGs on the market are getting high $ bids).  And RE: "If It Gets Personal"?  With Kraft and players...?  I hope it never does, and imo, It NEVER should.  I don't care if his name's on the paycheck, he wants a winner?  Then he's gotta stay totally outta the day to day football operations (as BB wants).  It's complicated enough, in terms of players, agents, coaches, front office, to add yet 1 more dynamic into the always tentative contract situations...  RE: If it gets personal with Belichick?  In my view, I hope it Always IS and DOES.  BB runs the show, and any malcontent speaking out against the team or the plays, players, games, his contract...ANY-thing.  These things are contagious.  Impossible to turn a blind eye to off-field situations when that player comes into the building for practices, meetings, game, and training...  And IF HE Can, others canNOT.  It's impossible for this utopian viewpoint to be the reality in a day of mass-media.  New England Patriots=No Cincinnatti Bengals.  Do your VERY best to resolve it, and if you can't, nip the contagion off in the cell. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I agree he's worth ten, but like Seymour, his thinking at this point might be "anywhere but NE"

That is possible.

Given that Kraft seemed really irked by his comments, it could also be that Kraft simply wants to play wth him, and not really offer him a contract long term.

In the end, I think the largest chance is that something gets done, because NE needs a guard and his teammates look to him as a physical and mental leader. 

It wouldn't make any sense for NE to "power up" with big TEs, two RBs, an OT and a big guard, and then just drop another guard who is better than all of them.

Next year or the year after:

Gronk -- Solder|Mank|Koppen|Cannon|Vollmer --Lee/Hern, with Vereen, Ridley, and Woody running ....

could be the best power front in the NFL.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I love that the Patriots taged him & he didn't sign it....Mankins is banking on getting his freedom & the Pats kept him from talking with anybody else...
    Personally, I could care less if Mankins stays with the Pats....I just want decent compinsation if we lose him....2nd & 4th....let him walk...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Mankins is a malcontent and a distraction and he sucked yak sack in the playoff loss....trade him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This whole bad blood thing whipped up by Mankins's agent will disappear without a trace if Mankins plays.  Bad blood and a Charlie Card will get you on the subway. 

Last year I thought Mankins would sit half a season for $3 million, and he did, for as many games as he was allowed to.  Saving his body for eight regular season games and four preseasons is worth it.  This year I think he'll play a full season for $10 million or so, rather than playing half a season for $2.5 million.

No, Cannon won't be ready by September.  He conveniently will be recovering from chemo, even if there's nothing wrong with him, because he's a rookie and can go on the non-football injury list until he has actually practiced at the guard position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Hate to keep bursting you people's bubble but Mankins is a deeck. He already turned down a fair contract once.......he's gone...lets get what we can get for him

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, I agree he's worth ten, but like Seymour, his thinking at this point might be "anywhere but NE"
    I would swim through an oean of feces to tap Claudia Cardinale

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The only issue I have is that he wants franchise LT money even though he's an LG. He's very good at LG, but does he deserve more money than Jonathan Ogden ? Somebody correct if I am wrong =, but didn't his franchise tag stipulate that he was worth a 1st and a 3rd. I think he's our best offensive linemen and would be great to have around while Solder and Cannon develop, but I think he alienated and vilified the Krafts; that won't garner any goodwill.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Personally, I can't find a way inside Mankins' head.

He turned down what seemed -- by most accounts -- a reasonable offer last year, then came back with nary a chip on his shoulder and performed well enough . . .  until he didn't, at the worst possible time (again). Now he's franchised and should be looking at upward of $10 million for one year, and yet he's come out -- yet again -- with this "I thought there was something called free agency" stance.

The longer this goes on . . .   the longer we discuss it . . .  I'm tempted to believe that any team is better off without a guy who cannot be counted upon. Will he report? Will he not? If he does, will he play hard? I don't think Mankins' work ethic is in question, but he does seem to have some odd ideas about what constitute valid principles and when it is best to stand upon (or abandon) them.

The guy is Mr. Plow. There's no denying that. I would like to see an extension and have a happy Mankins in camp (if there is camp . . .  ha ha . . . )

But I'm just not seeing it.

This will be the next guy in the Asante Samuel Hall of Fame.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Agreed...Mankins is a prime example of why the players are doing what they are doing....GREED & a feeling of entitlement.......Hey Logan here's a great deal making you one of the top 3 paid players at your position & that will keep you finacially set for life for playing a GAME....F U Mr. Kraft....I want to be paid the most at my position or I'll hold out & call you out as a cheap B@$#ard & liar to the press....WHAT A BUTT HEAD Mankins is!!!!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Hard  headed stances based on "principle" and letting his agent pollute the air with double speak -- that's what I'll forever remember about Mankins.  If reports of the Pats' offer are true and he refuses to deal once teams and players can negotiate again, good riddance.  I agree that at some point as a team you have to recognize that there are irreconcilable differences and do what's best for everyone.    

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice : I would swim through an oean of feces to tap Claudia Cardinale
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]
    You are a stronger man than I...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

I cant find the right stat on the internet, but I found total sacks on TB last year.  It was at or below average even though Logan only played half the season.

I couldnt notice a major difference when he wasnt on the field in the first half of the season compared to the second half when he was on the field.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Scarr will turn any decent lineman into a stud...he's the guy the Pats org. better keep well rewarded for his efforts!!!!!
    Dante is the stud of the o-line....Mankins is a product of the players around him....he also pulls no-shows in the playoffs...let him leave, i only want players that want to be here...overpaying mankins will cause problems for the team down the road....also, don't deal with Mankins agent or go after players he represents.... the guy is poison!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

if the Tag stays he'll be here and then in 2012 Cannon will take over and people will forget Mankins. http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath2.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I believe the Patriots only taged him to controll where he goes & so they can get some form of compensation....Mankins hasn't signed the tag yet so he's still not tradeable until he does...Pats got him by the shorthairs just as much as he has them in a jam...
    If logan pulls a no show again his tender will be GREATLY reduced again...if he signs, then the Patriots can play him at the full tag price for this year or  further try to work a long term contract  or trade him for another player or future picks...point being, nothing can happen with him till he signs the tender.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice : That is possible. Given that Kraft seemed really irked by his comments, it could also be that Kraft simply wants to play wth him, and not really offer him a contract long term. In the end, I think the largest chance is that something gets done, because NE needs a guard and his teammates look to him as a physical and mental leader.  It wouldn't make any sense for NE to "power up" with big TEs, two RBs, an OT and a big guard, and then just drop another guard who is better than all of them. Next year or the year after: Gronk -- Solder|Mank|Koppen|Cannon|Vollmer --Lee/Hern, with Vereen, Ridley, and Woody running .... could be the best power front in the NFL.  
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

z,
    re: "it wouldn't make any sense for NE to "power up" with big TEs, two RBs, an OT and a big guard, and then just drop another guard who is better than all of them."

lets hope they see it that way too.
    there's a lot of things around herre that sometimes dont make sense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins, $14 million, a deep draft at guard, and justice : z, re: "it wouldn't make any sense for NE to "power up" with big TEs, two RBs, an OT and a big guard, and then just drop another guard who is better than all of them." lets hope they see it that way too. there's a lot of things around herre that sometimes dont make sense.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

It would seem like a bit of a square-one move to me. They will have the cap space, but letting go of the one piece that would make that group elite would seem foolish.