Mankins not happy, not showing up, not working out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Mankins not happy, not showing up, not working out

This guy has been our best olinemen for the past couple years and the oline is key to the offensive scheme the Pats use. Mankins has to be sighed to a long term deal, no-one on the roster can replace him and I believe the Pats won't draft a replacement either...so what gives PAY the man.

RLANDO, Fla. — Logan Mankins is not happy.

And an unhappy Mankins will not be taking part in the Patriots’ offseason program, according to Mankins’s agent, Frank Bauer, who is at the NFL annual meeting at Orlando’s Ritz-Carlton resort.

“He’s not very happy,’’ Bauer said of the Patriots’ first-round draft pick in 2005.

Mankins is one of more than 200 fourth- and fifth-year NFL players who were unable to become unrestricted free agents under the non-salary-cap rules of the 2010 season. New England tendered the two-time Pro Bowler at the highest level, meaning the team would receive first- and third-round draft picks if Mankins signed an offer sheet with another team and the Patriots refused to match.

As good as Mankins is, that’s not likely to happen.

In return, Mankins gets a one-year, $3.268 million contract — if he signs it by the June 15 deadline. If he doesn’t sign, the Patriots can reduce his tender to $1.54 million, 110 percent of his 2009 salary.

Bauer said Mankins has no plans to participate in any offseason activities, but since he hasn’t signed his tender and therefore isn’t under contract, he’s under no obligation to attend even mandatory events.

It seems an unfair situation for Mankins and the other 211 restricted free agents, but these are the rules they must deal with.

“I understand it’s a business, but there are some unusual factors there [with the uncapped year],’’ Bauer said. “There comes a time when there is a loyalty factor, a loyalty factor with a player who has never missed a game, never missed a practice. There is a strong bond between he and Bill Belichick, but right now he’s caught in the system.’’

Bauer feels Mankins, 28, is on New England’s to-do list, “but we’ve been on their list for a while.’’

That the Patriots have come to long-term agreements with Vince Wilfork,Leigh Bodden, and Tully Banta-Cain heartens Bauer.

“Yes, definitely,’’ he said. “There are other players that they’ve taken care of and here you have a guy that has not only missed a game, he has not missed a practice since he’s been there. He could be — and should be — one of the pillars of the organization.’’

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Re: Mankins not happy, not showing up, not working out

oh well.....he has 2 choices.....play under the 3+ million salary, or sit out and on't get paid.

That is his choice.....

And I can't see where it says that he isn't working out on his own....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: Mankins not happy, not showing up, not working out

I meant not working out with the team, I would hope he's still working out on his own.

Sections
Shortcuts