Mankins Said No To Pay Cut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Mankins Said No To Pay Cut

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/report_tom_brady_was_not_happy_with_logan_mankins.html

"

In the latest revelation on how the Patriots' trade of Logan Mankins has affected the locker room, Bleacher Report's Jason Cole says that Tom Brady had an "emotional reaction" to the news.

"He was not happy with this move," Cole said.

Cole also reported that the Patriots had requested a pay cut for Mankins after the Pro Bowl last season, the first of two pay cut requests. He was asked to take a pay cut again before the trade, refusing both times.

"

Interesting.  There is no more loyalty, either way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Mankins Said No To Pay Cut

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/report_tom_brady_was_not_happy_with_logan_mankins.html

"

In the latest revelation on how the Patriots' trade of Logan Mankins has affected the locker room, Bleacher Report's Jason Cole says that Tom Brady had an "emotional reaction" to the news.

Cole also reported that the Patriots had requested a pay cut for Mankins after the Pro Bowl last season, the first of two pay cut requests. He was asked to take a pay cut again before the trade, refusing both times.

"

[/QUOTE]

Interesting. There is no more loyalty, either way.

There never was nor should there ever be. It's a cut throat business that suks for the players but keeps the game highly competitive for the fans, and thank goodness for that. Otherwise the NFL becomes MLB or the NBA.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Logan said publicly after signing his extension that he understood the business side of the NFL.  He predicted his own departure from the Pats not long after signing the extension.  He took a risk holding out and was able to exact a pretty good contract extension from the Pats -- forcing their hand was what it took to get paid. 

Mankins clearly values his principles and his pay more than the stability of staying in New England for less money.  And the Pats clearly think it's best to move on based on his performance relative to his pay and the players they have on the roster who can replace him.  Plus they got a pick and a player in Wright who may have some upside. 

I don't think it's personal on either side, and I see no one to blame here. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

If there were no salary cap then this would be cheap and cut throat. But there is a salary cap so it's just good business.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfanmaine72. Show patsfanmaine72's posts

Didn't he set out or not report and refuse to show up when he was under a past contract once? Two way street I guess.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to patsfanmaine72's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't he set out or not report and refuse to show up when he was under a past contract once? Two way street I guess.

[/QUOTE]

He always showed up when he was under contract.  He did however decline to sign a restricted free agent tender, which was his right, and therefore did not report since he was not under contract at that point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Loyalty is a figment of our imagination.

1. Us fans will turn on a player in an instant.  We have ZERO loyalty to players.  I remember a thread name "Troy Who?" when Welker first came on board.

2. Teams will cut a player at a whim when it works out best for them.  There is no loyalty.

3. What might be confused for player loyalty is probably nothing more than a player not wanting to move his family, not wanting to learn a new system, not wanting to build up a new fanbase somewhere else (sponsorships), etc.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If cole is accurate in brady being a crybaby again, that is really annoying to read.

I will leave it at that.

[/QUOTE]

its bleacher report. take it for what you want. they certainly cant be trusted as a source to often.

i am sure brady was very upset initially. he has been through this before.

he also knows that mankins allowed more sacks on him than anyone last year.

whoever replaces mankins has already improved our pass blocking, and thus made us better. so what if we fall off a bit in the run blocking aspect from mankins to kline, devey, cannon or connolly (whoever officially replaces him at lg)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

If cole is accurate in brady being a crybaby again, that is really annoying to read.

I will leave it at that.

[/QUOTE]

^troll

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"

"

[/QUOTE]

Interesting. There is no more loyalty, either way.

There never was nor should there ever be. It's a cut throat business that suks for the players but keeps the game highly competitive for the fans, and thank goodness for that. Otherwise the NFL becomes MLB or the NBA.....

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah those players really get a raw deal. Millions of dollars to play a game, financial security for their families, and millions of fans cheering them on while they work. Couldn't get any worse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I will leave it at that.

[/QUOTE]

^troll

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

trolls^

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

I will leave it at that.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I can think of something I recently read that is way more annoying...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Logan said publicly after signing his extension that he understood the business side of the NFL.  He predicted his own departure from the Pats not long after signing the extension.  He took a risk holding out and was able to exact a pretty good contract extension from the Pats -- forcing their hand was what it took to get paid. 

Mankins clearly values his principles and his pay more than the stability of staying in New England for less money.  And the Pats clearly think it's best to move on based on his performance relative to his pay and the players they have on the roster who can replace him.  Plus they got a pick and a player in Wright who may have some upside. 

I don't think it's personal on either side, and I see no one to blame here. 

[/QUOTE]

i would agree. This is strictly business. Just like the real world (except athletes get paid a lot more), there is no loyalty between most employers and most employees.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

I will leave it at that.

[/QUOTE]
    g F Y S, troll.

Many team members were upset.

McCourty said he was hurtin.  Revis said the locker room was like a funeral.  I'm sure bb was even upset.

We know it's a business but these are human beings human emotions.

It's human nature to be upset about losing a friend or in TB's case, personal protector for the past 9 years.

That's what most said,.  Apparently, that's something you don't know anything about.

Can't lose what you never had, but if I were you, I'd look into that personal protector thing.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

[QUOTE]

I will leave it at that.

[/QUOTE]

^Bustchise

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

They forced Mankins to honor his rook contract to the last minute when he was extremely underpaid so why would he not expect them to honor the contract they gave him to the last minute when he's overpaid? That's why I don't like people who think players are not loyal and greedy, well it's a businesses on both sides. The Pats use to hold rook contracts over players heads to the last cent so why do we blame players for doing the same thing in reverse?

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I don't think anyone can ever question Mankins' toughness playing through injuries and being a very positive locker room influence. His skills have dropped a little in the last couple years but IMO he was still one of the Pats' better OL men. 
    I wish him well in Tampa and hopefully someone can step up and be a suitable replacement.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

This isn't the first time a pro bowler starting to be decline and looking at future big contracts

Mankins made his choice, rightfully his , was surprised only in that it was now

i hate to say it but even TB could force a decision if he plans to go to 45

However Kraft would have to make the call,

The. Only other one to have as positive impact on the teams value was Donald dterling

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They forced Mankins to honor his rook contract to the last minute when he was extremely underpaid so why would he not expect them to honor the contract they gave him to the last minute when he's overpaid? That's why I don't like people who think players are not loyal and greedy, well it's a businesses on both sides. The Pats use to hold rook contracts over players heads to the last cent so why do we blame players for doing the same thing in reverse?

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

[/QUOTE]

If memory serves me correctly, he held out because he partially felt that BB and/or Kraft had promised him a decent extension before the final year of his rookie contract. He was mad because he felt BB/Kraft broke a promise.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I will leave it at that.

[/QUOTE]

^Bustchise

[/QUOTE]

That's funny!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Cap hell does funny things to a team. BB got himself in too deep with his desperate rental of Revis. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cap hell does funny things to a team. BB got himself in too deep with his desperate rental of Revis. 

[

Where are the Patriots in regards to the salary cap, you don't know do you?  And they needed a TE! Use some common sense... lol.  The Patriots have a lot of FA's after this season troll!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Logan Mankins had an unusual skill; he kept hitting people.  Nobody recognized this unusual skill but the Patriots' scouting staff, and so Mankins fell to the #32 pick. 

Mankins was worth about $10 million a year by his fifth year, but the Patriots wanted to pay him $1.5 million.  Mankins held out during half his fifth year with the Patriots, saving his body for the big money.  I say that was a smart move on Mankins's part.  The Patriots got maybe 7 residual games out of Mankins for $750,000.   

Then the Patriots franchised Mankins for one more year. 

Rather than take one more year of abuse to his body and then possibly see no big payday at all, Mankins signed a $51 million dollar contract for six years.

Now Mankins's body is a bit tired.  My guess is that he'll never be the old Mankins again.  His choices were to take a pay cut or not.  He and his agent said no. 

Then the Patriots faced up to the fact that the rest of the NFL now adored Logan Mankins more than BB did -- five Pro Bowl appearances including this past year, 17 playoff games, a .750 winning record for the team, never missed a game.  They could keep Mankins and pay him or they could sell him off.  So the club sold off Mankins's contract. 

Tampa Bay has the right to terminate Mankins's contract, but I don't think they will.  Mankins probably gets to keep his money.

Sections
Shortcuts