Mankins should fire his agent

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Mankins should fire his agent

He's an idiot, Allan. He doesn't get it either.

He'd rather play the "I will bash NE whenever I can" role and hope it sticks to the wall.

All the facts and realities mean nothing to people like that.

This further proves my point NE is held to a higher standard than the remaining 31 other teams, including teams like Indy and Pitt.

And players and agents know this, so they try to use it publicly for their own, per$nal gain. Just like this example.

Basically, the Pats are seen as the Yankees, but the difference is, the Pats don't have the open checkbook like the Yankees do, to appease the idea of overpaying or spending wildly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins should fire his agent:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure you'll be happy when Peyton gets 30 mil per year and then wonder why you can't field a defense.  If he doesn't sign in the next two years, he'll certainly sell himself to the highest bidder at his first opportunity to leave.
    Posted by allancrain[/QUOTE]

That would bother me allan, but I don't condemn manning or anyone else for trying to maximize their pay.  That's what the teams do.  That is exactly what is taking place with the CBA issue right now. 

But I think you missed the gist of my comments.  To me, its clear that Mankins and his agent were given assurances by the pats about the contract and the tag that the pats never delivered on. 

As I said, I don't fault the pats, but this will definitely cure Mankins of his idealism, and, I would imagine, it will remind all of the players that as wonderful as the organization is when contracts aren't an issue, its a very different reality (regardless of what may or may not have been said) when it is time to negotiate. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Well, as 100% of the time, underdogg as usual, offers his token whatever-it-takes-to-paint-The-Patriots-Organization-in-the-worst-possible-light, stance...  Just once, one single time...One freaking SINGLE time, it'd be nice if he gutted it out, and said, "Hey, perhaps making 10.1 million dollars in 1 year, being a zone-blocking offensive f'ck'ing GUARD, and being the top A#1 paid Guard in the entire football league, & blocking for a quarterback who many view, has the best pocket-awareness of any QB EVER to play the game, And playing as that #1 paid f'ing Offensive GUARD, for a team that's been the most successful franchise, thus far in this century, and being franchised under the TOTALLY legal, binding, and exact rules that BOTH the nfl owners AND players agreed to, maybe...just maybe, this is not a TOTAL 'travesty'...".  But no, nope, such an entirely logical, and pointed, and freaking COMPLETELY Obvious-Statement, by an IN-sane person with insanely alterior motives...no, Wayyyy too much to even consider.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"As I said, I don't fault the pats, but this will definitely cure Mankins of his idealism, and, I would imagine, it will remind all of the players that as wonderful as the organization is when contracts aren't an issue, its a very different reality (regardless of what may or may not have been said) when it is time to negotiate."

Oh DEFINATELY...being the top paid person in your trade, sorta paints the pessimism & animosity, right on your very soul...un-freaking-believable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I was reading Mike Reiss' clip on Mankins agent this morning. A couple of things came to mind.
    #1) Who is steering the ship here? If it is truly Mankins telling his agent what to do then so be it. If his agent is just telling Mankins that the Pats are skkrewin' him and they need to take a stand then Maybe Mankins needs a little better advice.

#2) I also had to laugh at the Agents argument that Mankins is the 2nd Best Guard in the History of the team only behind Hannah. Not That Mankins isn't good but because there is absolutely no way to quantify that statement. That's like saying I was the 2nd best Chess player in my family. Even it's true it's a worthless throw away line that must have been laughed at in the negotiation process.

#3) I came away from that article thinking that Mankins will sign his tender but the agent is just trying to save face because once again the Patriots won. Mankins tried to use his leverage last year in the negotiation process by sitting out and the Pats are using theirs this year. Touche'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]I've defended Mankins (and to some degree Bauer) before, but I don't understand what good can come of Bauer talking to the press.  Seems like it just would anger your negotiating partner and I'm not sure that helps at all. As far as Mankins being upset with the franchise tag, I can understand that. But assuming the new CBA gets done and the franchise tag provisions are similar to what they are now, Mankins has almost no choice but to accept the golden handcuffs.  I wonder if the agent gets a commission in this case?  Probably not . . . that may be why the agent is moaning so much.  In that case, Mankins might want to consider firing him. Then again, Bauer has gotten some pretty big deals for other clients, so saying he's inept is maybe not supportable based on the evidence.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

PS

He may be a successful agent but this will not go down on his CV as one of his top negotiations.  In this case, I think he's inept, although I cannot speak for his success with all of his clientele. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Laz,

If its any consolation, I am sure the colts are the same way at times, but aren't you just the slightest bit curious what the Pats actually did tell Mankins?  Don't you wonder exactly how they structured that reported 5 yr 35 million contract that he wouldn't sign? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

For the last time, they said it mirrored Mangold's contract. 

Your premise, and the annoying one that it remains to be, is you think Kraft is lying.

When, all signs point to no, he is not lying, especially considering Mankins lied originally when he said he was promised a deal after the 2009 season. 

At every turn NE has held up its side:

"Mankins has insisted on a contract that will either match or surpass the seven-year, $56.7 million deal the New Orleans Saints reached with Pro Bowl guard Jahri Evans. Kraft revealed that the Patriots have made an offer to Mankins similar to the seven-year, $55 million contract the New York Jets gave to center Nick Mangold last month."

So, either Kraft is lying publicly, which would be the first time we have ever seen Kraft lie in print with regards to a contract offer or you have gone retarded again.

I am choosing the latter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

If I remember correctly Mankins apologized to Robert Kraft so anyone casting aspersions on the Pat's offer or their sincerity in dealing with Mankins is blowing smoke.  
    The problem is a blow hard agent who is pissed because Mankins will probably sign the tender and hope for a bigger payday from the Pats or through a trade.  kil

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

If I had the greenbacks to own a pro sports franchise, Commandment #1 for ALL members of my organization to follow, including players, coaches and executives, would be: "Thou shalt not negotiate thy contract terms through the media."

I don't blame the Pats at all for turning sour on players who do that.

Whether it's the agent's fault or not, Mankins has also been too outspoken about this stuff, and he's said some pretty harsh and unnecessary things.

At this point, the Pats need to tell him to sign his tender before the draft so that they can get him out of town, which apparently is what he desires at this point anyway.

Remember folks, for all the hand-wringing being done about how great the offense was after he returned last year, the team was still 6-1 without him, and had beaten some teams with pretty good defenses (Baltimore, San Diego) before he came back.

He's expendable IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]For the last time, they said it mirrored Mangold's contract.  Your premise, and the annoying one that it remains to be, is you think Kraft is lying. When, all signs point to no, he is not lying, especially considering Mankins lied originally when he said he was promised a deal after the 2009 season.  At every turn NE has held up its side: "Mankins has insisted on a contract that will either match or surpass the seven-year, $56.7 million deal the New Orleans Saints reached with Pro Bowl guard Jahri Evans . Kraft revealed that the Patriots have made an offer to Mankins similar to the seven-year, $55 million contract the New York Jets gave to center Nick Mangold last month." So, either Kraft is lying publicly, which would be the first time we have ever seen Kraft lie in print with regards to a contract offer or you have gone retarded again. I am choosing the latter.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    No - YOU SAID - it mirrored.  Kraft said it was similar.  Those are very different terms.  And since he did not reveal the details of his terms we don't know exactly what he meant by it. 

I have no idea who is lying.  How did Mankins lie?

I know you will always side with the pats and that's fine.  My point was simply that the pats are incredibly shrewd when it comes to the business of football and anyone who takes their word for anything contract related might want to ask them to put it on paper. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]The Patriots are the problem not the players' agents!  They are the cheapest team in thwe league!  Just ask their assistant coaches, oh wait you can't because Belicheat won't let them talk.  See article in the Herald!
    Posted by rsposato[/QUOTE]
    Don't like the Pats much?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

I can't understand all the drama Mankins agant seems to enjoy kicking up. Maby it is just to call as much media attention to himself as possible at Mankins expence. If I understand the situation properly Mankins was served with the NONEXCLUSIVE franchise tag which gives his agent the right to shop Mankins where ever he wants. So, if he is so obviously worth so much more than the Pats have offered, being a good agent he should have no problem getting the contract he want elsware. If he is the BEST OG in the league then there are more than a few teams that should have no problem negociating with the Pats on compensation for the trade. All of this should be no problem for a highly competent agent with the best OG in the league. But maby the Pats offer was justified an spot on, and the agents ego has been damaged because he has been caught overplaying his hand. Maby this is all an attempt by the agent to save face with Mankins and all his current and future costomers. Any way you look at it the ball is in the agents court to find a better alternitive and his tacticks useing the media will only hurt him with future negociations between future costomers and team knowing these tactics may be used on them. If Mankins stays great. If he leaves I am shoure the Pats will get the compensation he is worth and invest it well, and that is good also. But I will not be one to spend my time playing into Mankins agents plans and giveing him the media glorification he is obviously seeking. I don't here the Pats even acknowledgeing any of his rants.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins should fire his agent : No - YOU SAID - it mirrored.  Kraft said it was similar.  Those are very different terms.  And since he did not reveal the details of his terms we don't know exactly what he meant by it.  I have no idea who is lying.  How did Mankins lie? I know you will always side with the pats and that's fine.  My point was simply that the pats are incredibly shrewd when it comes to the business of football and anyone who takes their word for anything contract related might want to ask them to put it on paper. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Now, they are not different terms.  Christ, you are a tool and terrible coming up with an argument that has two legs.  Your arguments are like a dog on one leg.

Similar, like, mirrored, etc.

Get a thesaurus, rubelips.

Mankins said NE  lied to him about getting him a deal after the 2009 season. NE offered him a deal.

He rejected it.

That's how he lied.  As we have come to find out, it's because it came after Evans's and it wasn't as high (20% less).

NE never said they'd make him the highest paid Guard in the NFL.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Logie. NE owns 6 picks in the top 100 and has held the leverage the entire time.

Your agent has misled you in the market.  He has brainwashed you for his own benefit.

Hence, why his desperation within a negotiation has been taken to the public for leverage MULTIPLE times.  FAIL

You're being tagged as an asset of a company at 10 million dollars. I wish I ahd that problem before I left the company.

For someone who drives a pick up truck, lives on a ranch and claims he's "old school" and a man of his word, I have a hard time seeing how he's shown that in this situation.

17 Carimi T/G
    28 Pouncey  G/C
    33 Wilkerson DE
    56 Brooks Reed OLB

Bye, bye Logie.

2011 Lineup

Vollmer Pouncey Koppen Connolly Carimi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]As far as the deal Mankins was offered and whether it was good or not, I just will reiterate that none of us knows the details and therefore none of us really knows whether it was good or bad.  Guaranteed money is the major issue here.  Players hate to be franchised because, while $11 million is a huge payday for a year, it may be less than the signing bonus a player would get if he could negotiate freely.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

bauers comment was they wouldnt come up to evans numbers... so there you go..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

And yet you keep coming back Russ - You must think very little of yourself. 

Similar (Kraft's words) can mean just about anything.  It could be similar in annual average salary over the life of the contract, but the contract may be less.  Simlilar could mean 20% less per year but due to 2 less years could be 20 million less in total.  Don't tell me that Kraft didn't get where he got with measuring his words correctly. 

Mirrored = the same.  Similar= close but not the same. 

As for what Mankins said, here it is (I think you have it wrong):

After the 2008 season, he and his agent asked the Patriots about an extension but were told that owner Robert Kraft wanted to wait because of the uncertain NFL labor situation, ESPN Boston reported.

"I was asked to play '09 out, and that they would address the contract during the uncapped year. I'm a team player, I took them at their word, and I felt I played out an undervalued contract," Mankins told ESPN Boston.

As I said, I am sure the pats cured him of his "man of his word" idealism.  Suc ks for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Are you dumb (rhetorical question/no need to answer)?

Those aren't Kraft's words.  It's the source who said it was revealed the deal is in line with the highest paid interior lineman in the league.

After the 2009 season, NE offered Mankins a contract that he rejected because he apparently felt he was above Brady and Wilfork and needed his deal FIRST.

Mike Reiss hinted the reason Mankins was ticked off, which is apparently another lie, is the idea that Mankins was offered his deal AFTER Evans's and it was LESS.

This was the hang up.  "He's a man of principle". Remember? lol

Here's a team trying to pay Brady and Wilfork on the verge of a Lockout and Mankins feels he needs his deal before any of them and before any other All Pro Guards who are up for a deal. 

Okie dokie, Logie.  That's what I call Logie Logic.

They offered his deal BEFORE some guy named Tom Brady and he still was apparently offended.

You can try to change facts all day long and come up with what you feel are cute little one liners, but you lost this debate.  You lost it a long time ago and have never been correct.

Continually saying no one knows the exact annual payouts is irrelevant.  There is no way they would have offered him the 5 year deal if it was littered with payouts that were not fair.

They have never done that before to an All Pro player on the team they planned on keeping.  If they did not want him, sure maybe they'd lowball the offer and hope to get the FA to bite on it so they wouldn't have to overpay. 

Mankins and his agent are completely irrational.  FACT

What Mankins said was irrelevant because he said that before it became public that Mankins WAS IN FACT offered a deal.

This quote you just pulled was actually his first attempt at using the public opinion to try to force more money out of the offer. That's what's funny about you pulling that quote.

That's when this all started.

lol

Mankins was offered a contract in the Spring of 2010, after the 2009 season.

You do realize YOU have it wrong AGAIN. Right?

No, of course you don't.  You'll try to spin this one into a confused web of junk to make it seem like you have a clue.

I am annoyed a Guard is getting this kind of attention as a Pats fan who sees the players put the team first.

Here's a guy who has never looked good in a playoff game and he wants to be the highest paid interior lineman?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins should fire his agent : bauers comment was they wouldnt come up to evans numbers... so there you go..
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

So does that mean 

1.  Entire contract value? 
    2.  Years?
    3.  Signing bonus?
    4.  Average per year? 
    5.  All of the above? 

These are negotiations, the specifics are what are important.  Generalities mean virtually nothing. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommmper. Show Stommmper's posts

[QUOTE]Heaven (or patsfans) forbid a player who actually tries to maximize his payday.  Do any of you ever consider the fact that tactics being used by the patriots serve to maximize theirs?  Although I don't care for the agent whining, I am more convinced than ever that the pats provided assurances to Mankins that they never delivered on.  I don't fault the patriots for using the tools available to them to keep a player, but I do believe they may have duped this agent and player.  After this, Mankins may no longer be the man of his word he said he was.  The sometimes hard realities of business can cure a person of that idealism.   I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of difficult to detect soft tissue problem hampers Mankins' abilities next year.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    UD6 I read most of your comments and many times you are on track.
    First thing is, Football is a business and no one in here can really comment correctly because no one here has the actual facts of what took place when the contracts were offered Mankins, or what the conversations where between Mankins, BB of Kraft and the agent.
    The one thing I get sick and tired of hearing is, the poor football players have to get the most money they can, what if they have a career ending injury?
    Ok, lets look at that, Mankins gets 10 million dollars and gets knocked out of football. Lets take Joe Bloww off the street making 12 bucks an hour, gets his leg cut off at work and can no longer work.
    Joe Bloww has to sue his employer, pay an attorney 33 per cent of lets say 500k. Joe walks away with 350k to live off the rest of his life
    Poor Mr. Mankins gets 10 million and most likely a contract on ESPN or some radio show making 75 to 100k a year.
    THe truth is ALL football players are overpaid, basketball players, baseball players. THe real truth is its not the owners or the players fault, its the knuckle head fans paying hundreds or thousands of dollars each week to go to games that pay these cry babies. SO when football fans want to really see the problem with football players and owners greeed, all they need do is look in the mirror to see who is to blame! Wouldnt you agree?
    Yeah poor football players huh? Yell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins should fire his agent : UD6 I read most of your comments and many times you are on track. Posted by Stommmper[/QUOTE]

lol!!!!!

When was this?  He's never on track. He just showed us that again.

Shockingly, his comments on unions made some sense, but other than that, fans here know his game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

I don't know...
     On then one hand you want to keep proven quality linemen.

On the other hand..the team did pretty well the games they were without him (6-1 record)..and in my opinion were not any "better" when he came back.

The offense had just as many successes and duds when he was in there as they did before.

O successes w/o Mankins         O duds w/o Mankins

Cinci, Buff, Bal, Minn           NYJ (1), Mia (1), SD

O successes w/ mankins           O duds w Mankins

Pitt, Det, GB, mia (2), NYJ (playoff)            cle, ind, nyj (2), chi, buff (2

These are just based off O stats...YPC.. Yards passing, etc. 

Also Mankins played in 3 games in which the Pats gave up 3 sacks or more
    and didn't play in 3 games when they gave up 3 sacks or more.      

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins should fire his agent : So does that mean  1.  Entire contract value?  2.  Years? 3.  Signing bonus? 4.  Average per year?  5.  All of the above?  These are negotiations, the specifics are what are important.  Generalities mean virtually nothing. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right here UD6.  Specifics matter. And knowing the specifics (which none of us do) is essential to making any legitimate judgment.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Here are Kraft's words: "We made an offer that would allow him to be paid very well, like a Pro Bowl guard," Kraft told WEEI. "I'm not sure his people felt it was appropriate. I know it was comparable with Nick Mangold's salary"
    Comparable and mirrored (your words) are 2 very different things.

After the 2009 season, NE offered Mankins a contract that he rejected because he apparently felt he was above Brady and Wilfork and needed his deal FIRST.
    Yep, reported to be 5 yrs 35 million (11% less per year, 36% less in total than Mangold, and who knows what the signing bonus or structure was).

Here's a team trying to pay Brady and Wilfork on the verge of a Lockout and Mankins feels he needs his deal before any of them and before any other All Pro Guards who are up for a deal. 
    Wilfork and Brady were upset too.  Wilfork, like Mankins had his contract coming due.  Brady's contract, however, wasn't up until after 2011.  Mankins was up after 2009, but lost his free agency because of the CBA opt out.  I am sure that's why Mankins wanted the deal.  The agent knew what was coming.  Wilfork got his deal.  I'd say having to sign Brady, who pressured the team, is what hurt Mankins deal, ultimately. 

They offered his deal BEFORE some guy named Tom Brady and he still was apparently offended.
    Brady's wasn't due until after 2011. 

You can try to change facts all day long and come up with what you feel are cute little one liners, but you lost this debate.  You lost it a long time ago and have never been correct.
    No one's changing any facts.  I use quotes and reports and form an opinion.  You can convince yourself all weekend that I am up to something sinister and that you have effectively put me in my place, but again you'd be wrong.  It wouldn't be the first time.   

Continually saying no one knows the exact annual payouts is irrelevant.  There is no way they would have offered him the 5 year deal if it was littered with payouts that were not fair.
    Having to pay brady because he was pressuring them and Wilfork, whose deal was up could have caused the pats to have a different idea of what was fair and what was not.  A 5 and 35 deal (if that is what it was) is significantly less than evans or mangold.  

What Mankins said was irrelevant because he said that before it became public that Mankins WAS IN FACT offered a deal.
    Irrelevant?  How could what he says about the details of his life be irrelevant.  For all of the comments about how intelligent the boston area is (schools) you really don't help the argument.

This quote you just pulled was actually his first attempt at using the public opinion to try to force more money out of the offer. That's what's funny about you pulling that quote.
    Right, this is the beginning of the contract issue.  Congrats genius (sarcasm). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

"Contract issue"?

The only people with the issue are Bauer and Mankins.

You can continue with your italics and bold functions that entertain you as you bounce along babbling, but this guy is a Guard who has been caught in a lie repeatedly and his agent has taken the issue public.

This all goes back to his reaction in the Spring, before Wilfork and Brady's deal.

You always walk into the wall with your support for your flawed premise and you just did it again. He's rejected multiple deals since last Spring.

It's a "travesty" Mankins rejected a top 3 market deal, yet you somehow want to pin this on the Patriots front office.

$100 NE is befuddled Mankins as to dragging this out in such an ugly manner. Absolutely befuddled.

Connolly comes in to Mankins' spot and does well, with no one missing Mankins.  Yet now Mankins = John Hannah. lol

We'll never know the specific wording of ANY PLAYER'S contract, that's why it's irrelvant.

We may be told what the base structure is, but no one really knows the built-ins on any player's deal.

I have never seen you ask what any other players' deals are detailed to be.

We have no idea how Evans contract is structured, what is guaranteed and the same goes for Mangold's.  Both of their deals are not exactly the same and each simply signed the deals, not picking and choosing to drag it out to be the "highest".

Evans just happned to be the highest. Couldn't MAngold argue his needed to be higher than Evans's?

Oh, I think so.

It's none of our business, technically, what the specific details of anyone's deal is.

Apparently, YOU feel entitled to see the contract offer as a COlts fan.

What a shock.  Underpants only takes the opposite arugment if it tries to paint evil Kraft and Belichick in a dark light. lol

As stated, there is no way on earth Kraft goes on record making the statement he did if it wasn't correct.

The reality is, Mankins feels he should be paid MORE than Evans.

And you're right, this isn't the first time you have been blistered off a page here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins should fire his agent : UD6 I read most of your comments and many times you are on track. First thing is, Football is a business and no one in here can really comment correctly because no one here has the actual facts of what took place when the contracts were offered Mankins, or what the conversations where between Mankins, BB of Kraft and the agent. The one thing I get sick and tired of hearing is, the poor football players have to get the most money they can, what if they have a career ending injury? Ok, lets look at that, Mankins gets 10 million dollars and gets knocked out of football. Lets take Joe Bloww off the street making 12 bucks an hour, gets his leg cut off at work and can no longer work. Joe Bloww has to sue his employer, pay an attorney 33 per cent of lets say 500k. Joe walks away with 350k to live off the rest of his life Poor Mr. Mankins gets 10 million and most likely a contract on ESPN or some radio show making 75 to 100k a year. THe truth is ALL football players are overpaid, basketball players, baseball players. THe real truth is its not the owners or the players fault, its the knuckle head fans paying hundreds or thousands of dollars each week to go to games that pay these cry babies. SO when football fans want to really see the problem with football players and owners greeed, all they need do is look in the mirror to see who is to blame! Wouldnt you agree? Yeah poor football players huh?
    Posted by Stommmper[/QUOTE]

Why would you compare a probowl football player's compensation issues with joe blow's disability problem?  Mankins' contract issues have nothing to do with that.  Your owner is a billionaire, trying to make as much money as he can.  Is that lost on you?  How come Kraft hasn't reduced ticket prices for one-legged joe blow and his friends to $5 on the 50 yard line so that they can afford to go to games?, because he can sell them for $170 and make more money. 

I don't begrudge either one of these guys their ability to make as much money as they can, and when both want their max, then they can't agree and the issues begin.  

Mankins will be well paid this year, but he was supposed to be well paid last year and apparently the contract was not up to par as supposedly promised.  If the deal was 5 and 35 then the team left about 14 million on the table (7 and 49), and this doesn't even speak of the structure which may not have been up to par, either.