2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Mankins signs Extension!

Mike Reiss 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

wow! awesome news! this oline is young and beastly

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots will have a great Offensive Line for a long time....Cannon could only make them stronger!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

McCheaters?  Wheredapothead?

Waiting for you guys to say this was a bad deal, or minimize it's long-term building of the Pats..........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Great News!!!!!!!!

Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Rusty, you must be horrified! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

With all of that available cap room, who do they sign next?  LOL

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vpindi. Show vpindi's posts

Report:  and Logan Mankins reach agreement on six-year extension   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Evan Silva (NBC Sports Writer) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vpindi. Show vpindi's posts

Monetary guess on Mankins' six-year deal w/ : $48.5 million with $21 million guaranteed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins signs Extension!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins signs Extension! : Depends on the money. If it sinks them for years to come, crippling their ability to manage the cap before it expands in 2014, then yeah, it won't be a good thing. Also, maybe now he apologizes to the front office for he and his agent's absolutely abysmal behavior. Edit: So this really doesn't shift muchh from Mangold's 22 million guaranteed. Sounds very similar to what where maybe they added a year on to it to sweeten it a bit.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they've ended up in a place where both will be happy . . . the Pat's aren't going to wildly overpay . . . and contracts aren't guaranteed, so the signing bonus is really all that's at risk for the Pats.

I'm pretty pleased because I've always thought Mankins was a great player and really do believe his demands weren't excessive. His rookie contract was a long one and he was truly underpaid (by NFL standards) for the past few years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Wonder what the cap hit is -- 8 mil AAV with "only" 21 guaranteed?  Good thing that cooler heads prevailed.  The CBA got taken care of, along with Brady and Wilfork, and now so did Mankins.  No coincidence in that sequence of events.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This move speaks volumes as an organization. Right now Bob Kraft is recognized by even anti Patriot fans as one of the leaders in bringing football back to us. Now he rewards one of the hardest working players we have ever had. The man  never missed a game until last year and probably not many practices. He reminds me of Lawer Milloy in that way.

This sends a clear message to the players of the NFL. The Patriots WILL take care of the core guys, always have and always will. History has shown this. Enough with the, "they don't pay" B.S. We have the highest paid QB, the highest paid D-linemen, and probably now one of the higher paid o-linemen....and they all deserve what they got!

A glorious day for Patriot nation. Any Mankins hater needs to listen to BB's audio of why Mankins is one the best at his position. I'll try and find it to post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

if it's for the 6 years 48.5mil with 21 guaranteed then it could be a great deal. I always said I don't want him for more then 8 mil max and I'm sure part of it is backloaded into the 6th year so I'm betting it's closer to a 5 year deal worth closer to 6mil a season with the last year being a, if your a pro-bowler in that 5th year we'll keep you but if you have aged into the 6th year we'll release you type of deal. Either way it's a win win for both sides.  Now the Pats pretty much have a LT, RT, LG, I'm projecting RG with Cannon for the next 5 years locked up so Brady should be covered till he retires

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

SWEET!!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/logan_mankins_presented_by_bill_belichick_39_in_the_nfl_top/5613544

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Good to see.  This has been a fantastic offseason for the Pats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins signs Extension!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins signs Extension! : And that's why I thought Frank Bauer slandering Kraft in the press was a disgrace. He tried the myth of "NE doesn't pay" to the hilt and he failed his client. It did work out in this case, since it appears the deal is essentially the same one as before the Lockout, which showed Bauer he lost his gamble with the CBA projections.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Yeah Rusty, I don't blame you for feeling that way and especially about his agent, but business is business and it gets ugly often. I don't fault Mankins at all for trying to secure him and his families future. He put in 6 years of dedicated Patriot service and fell on tough circumstances with the cba. Bad luck and I think anyone of us would have been a lil ticked off.

The bottom line is that Mankins is one of the toughest linemen in the game, and I am happy to see he will be helping protect Brady for the rest of his career.(not too mention road grade the d-line for the run game!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Brady is protected for years with Volmer, Mankins and Soldner soon enough. I kind of wish this would have got done a litter sooner. Maybe it would have changed some of their acquisitions. Awesome regardless.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

By Mike Reiss (ESPN BOSTON)

When Logan Mankins decided to sign his franchise tender and report to training camp on time this year, his agent called it a "fresh start." 

That fresh start was one of the first steps toward producing Wednesday's bombshell news that Mankins and the Patriots have agreed to a six-year deal, first reported by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. 

It's a win-win situation. 

As noted when Mankins reported to camp on time, this was the time to strike an extension because it benefitted both sides. 

Under the franchise tag, Mankins had a $10.1 million salary cap charge. Between him and Tom Brady, they accounted for just shy of 20 percent of the team's cap space. 

For a team that prides itself on a strong "middle class" of the roster, this didn't make much sense for the Patriots. So the motivation to work with Mankins on an extension was there, because it could provide more cap space while also securing their best linemen long-term. 

One lingering issue was whether the Patriots would be willing to do so because of past public comments made by Mankins and his agent, Frank Bauer. 

To the team's credit, it overlooked them to strike the deal. 

As for Mankins, he gets the long-term security and respect he desired. While a one-year, $10.1 million contract was a solid pay day, it still led him to assume the risk of making it through the season healthy so he could potentially reach unrestricted free agency in 2012. 

Now that risk is eliminated and Mankins knows he'll be banking more than just the $10.1 million. 

So even without knowing the full details of terms, this is a case in which both sides get what they want. Common sense prevails.