Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/report-vincent-jackson-logan-mankin-establish-return-dates/

I think both sides will come to an agreement here. There's no market for Mankins (at least to our knowledge) and even if there is, no team has come out and said they'd give Mankins the deal he wanted. Offensive line depth is something we'll always take when possible. The BSPN report said they were close but talks broke off when an apology came up. I'm hoping both sides work this childish issue out and move on. Mankins would be a shot in the arm for this whole team, especially Brady who just loss Moss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Re: Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request

In Response to Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/report-vincent-jackson-logan-mankin-establish-return-dates/ I think both sides will come to an agreement here. There's no market for Mankins (at least to our knowledge) and even if there is, no team has come out and said they'd give Mankins the deal he wanted. Offensive line depth is something we'll always take when possible. The BSPN report said they were close but talks broke off when an apology came up. I'm hoping both sides work this childish issue out and move on. Mankins would be a shot in the arm for this whole team, especially Brady who just loss Moss.
    Posted by apdynasty23

shot in the arm??? like a cure??? He may come back but he will sit on the bench! Im thinking that the name CONNOLY is on the tip of his tounge...He should have signed the offer we offered.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/report-vincent-jackson-logan-mankin-establish-return-dates/ I think both sides will come to an agreement here. There's no market for Mankins (at least to our knowledge) and even if there is, no team has come out and said they'd give Mankins the deal he wanted. Offensive line depth is something we'll always take when possible. The BSPN report said they were close but talks broke off when an apology came up. I'm hoping both sides work this childish issue out and move on. Mankins would be a shot in the arm for this whole team, especially Brady who just loss Moss.
    Posted by apdynasty23
    I don't care to ever see him in a Patriots uniform again ! I wish him well in his future occupation as a Wrangler. I also hope that no other team even considers offering this pile of manure a job. Though I know some POS HC or GM will jump at the opportunity too sign him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I understand why you guys are so bitter towards him and I've repeatedly stated that I don't want him around either but something tells me that the business-minded Belichick won't feel as bitter. Here's why:

He's made his point: "We offered you a great deal for a guard considering we're a franchise that never breaks the bank for a guard. We also showed you that we're a viable offensive line without you. We've also received zero calls from teams willing to give up those picks and/or give you the deal you're looking for."

Belichick is clearly about winning first and foremost. If he can keep Mankins for an even lower price (assuming Mankins' camp finally sees that they're not going anywhere with this against Belichick), he'll, without a doubt, bring Mankins on board to strengthen an already formidable line.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request:
    I understand why you guys are so bitter towards him and I've repeatedly stated that I don't want him around either but something tells me that the business-minded Belichick won't feel as bitter. Here's why: He's made his point: "We offered you a great deal for a guard considering we're a franchise that never breaks the bank for a guard. We also showed you that we're a viable offensive line without you. We've also received zero calls from teams willing to give up those picks and/or give you the deal you're looking for." Belichick is clearly about winning first and foremost. If he can keep Mankins for an even lower price (assuming Mankins' camp finally sees that they're not going anywhere with this against Belichick), he'll, without a doubt, bring Mankins on board to strengthen an already formidable line.
    Posted by apdynasty23

If the man is going to hold out until week 10...IM SURE THE LOCKER ROOM WILL BE GIVING HIM A BUNCH OF HUGS(the STARTING O line) when he comes back...LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL. THE GUY IS GONE I HOPE!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

3 things could play out with this situation

1-Mankins sits and pouts becomes a problem in the locker room

2-Mankins comes in and Bill benches his fat cow behind.

3-Mankins apologizes and they work out an extension THROUGH MANKINS

I want to say this Mankins agent is an idiot. They have had 3 deals on the table and each have been denied and from what Mankins has said in the media it sounds like he never heard of the first deal that was put on the table. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I understand why you guys are so bitter towards him . . . 
    Posted by apdynasty23

Personally, I don't get all the bitterness.  Contract disputes are part of life.  There's nothing wrong with Mankins rejecting the Pats offer if he doesn't think it's a good one. Samuel and Branch did the same thing and both ended up with contracts more to their liking.  The market for Mankins is still unknown. No one will sign Mankins now because the rules require teams to give up high-round draft picks in compensation to the Pats if they sign him.  So teams will wait until the offseason to make their offers. At that point, we'll see if Mankins made a good financial decision.  I think the issue in the Mankins situation is really all about guaranteed money upfront.  The Pats didn't offer much guaranteed upfront from what I hear and Mankins thinks he can get a big signing bonus from another team.  Total value of the contract isn't as big of an issue as how much is guaranteed and paid in year one.  Because of injuries and the fact that teams can cut players at anytime (regardless of contracts) upfront money is really what matters in contracts.  If the upfront money isn't there, the value of the contract in total dollars is highly discounted because there's a strong possibility that the money at the end of the deal will never be paid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

I am not bitter toward Mankins - however, I see no reason to be excited about him coming back - the Patriots have moved on - successfully as it relates to the O line  - and Mankins is not at all likely to arrive in any sort of game shape and the Pats will be entering the stretch run at that time and will go with who got them there this season - Mankins, shows up , takes a seat on the bench, collects his 6 game checks, accrues a season, and leaves when the seasons over - what's to be excited about

I seriously doubt that Tom Brady - who was ready to start this season with a horribly undervalued contract but said not one word about it - is going to be excited about a Logan Mankins coming in after a season long holdout

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Posted by apdynasty23

im wondering...cant pats put him on some list so he cant get his eligiblity?(failure to report/smuck of the month) it seems they are not the type of team to ever let the player and agent get the upper hand or give up an asset with nothing in return...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paparui. Show paparui's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request : Personally, I don't get all the bitterness.  Contract disputes are part of life.  There's nothing wrong with Mankins rejecting the Pats offer if he doesn't think it's a good one. Samuel and Branch did the same thing and both ended up with contracts more to their liking.  The market for Mankins is still unknown. No one will sign Mankins now because the rules require teams to give up high-round draft picks in compensation to the Pats if they sign him.  So teams will wait until the offseason to make their offers. At that point, we'll see if Mankins made a good financial decision.  I think the issue in the Mankins situation is really all about guaranteed money upfront.  The Pats didn't offer much guaranteed upfront from what I hear and Mankins thinks he can get a big signing bonus from another team.  Total value of the contract isn't as big of an issue as how much is guaranteed and paid in year one.  Because of injuries and the fact that teams can cut players at anytime (regardless of contracts) upfront money is really what matters in contracts.  If the upfront money isn't there, the value of the contract in total dollars is highly discounted because there's a strong possibility that the money at the end of the deal will never be paid.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Right on the money with this post. Pats fans could care less if Mankins had played on that tender from day 1 and got a career ending injury.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan36. Show soxfan36's posts

In Response to Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request : im wondering...cant pats put him on some list so he cant get his eligiblity?(failure to report/smuck of the month) it seems they are not the type of team to ever let the player and agent get the upper hand or give up an asset with nothing in return...
    Posted by jcour382

Could the Pats cut him when he reports and if so, would that affect his eligibility?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

if they cut him he is an fa and the point is moot..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

No longer a fan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I say let him play. He's so out of shape he'll most certainly hurt himself and get his asz kicked at the same time. So if we are up by a few TD's late in a game throw him in there cold and maybe he'll embarrass himself. Put him in during the Thanksgiving game and then he will always have a reason to remember the Holiday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I agree with BTownExpress. No longer a fan.

Tom came into the season without a new contract and got things worked out without being a distraction, holding out, or dissing the organization.

So from day one, the proof was there, that there are other ways to go about this than pouting like a baby and opening his big mouth.

Now he is gonna come back, for no other reason than to get his acrued time? Thanks for being such a team player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

We can never have enough good players.  I will welcome Logan back and hope Pats work out a long-term solution with him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree with BTownExpress . No longer a fan. Tom came into the season without a new contract and got things worked out without being a distraction, holding out, or dissing the organization. So from day one, the proof was there, that there are other ways to go about this than pouting like a baby and opening his big mouth. Now he is gonna come back, for no other reason than to get his acrued time? Thanks for being such a team player.
    Posted by jedinate

The difference, of course, is that the Pats weren't in a million years going to let Brady walk.  It's a lot easier to negotiate nicely when everyone agrees that the player deserves a huge contract (which Brady got). The problems come when the player and team don't see eye-to-eye. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request : Personally, I don't get all the bitterness.  Contract disputes are part of life.  There's nothing wrong with Mankins rejecting the Pats offer if he doesn't think it's a good one. Samuel and Branch did the same thing and both ended up with contracts more to their liking.  The market for Mankins is still unknown. No one will sign Mankins now because the rules require teams to give up high-round draft picks in compensation to the Pats if they sign him.  So teams will wait until the offseason to make their offers. ...

I agree generally with your post, but to clarify one thing, he's not a free agent and he can't be signed by any other team right now.  He was an RFA, but that window closed last April.  He can't even talk to any other team at this point.  The Pats have his exclusive rights, so unless they give him permission to talk to other teams it would be tampering for any other team to communicate with him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request : I agree generally with your post, but to clarify one thing, he's not a free agent and he can't be signed by any other team right now.  He was an RFA, but that window closed last April.  He can't even talk to any other team at this point.  The Pats have his exclusive rights, so unless they give him permission to talk to other teams it would be tampering for any other team to communicate with him. 
    Posted by Muzwell

That's right Muz. The draft picks only come into play if the Pats, Mankins, and the other team agree to work out a trade.  But because of Mankins status (at least as I understand the rules) they all have to agree on the deal, because Mankins actually needs to sign a contract before a trade can happen and another team pick him up.  So for another team to sign him now, the other team needs to come to agreement with the Pats (draft picks) and Mankins (money) at the same time.  Is that how you understand it works too?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request : That's right Muz. The draft picks only come into play if the Pats, Mankins, and the other team agree to work out a trade.  But because of Mankins status (at least as I understand the rules) they all have to agree on the deal, because Mankins actually needs to sign a contract before a trade can happen and another team pick him up.  So for another team to sign him now, the other team needs to come to agreement with the Pats (draft picks) and Mankins (money) at the same time.  Is that how you understand it works too?

Yes, that's right.  Mankins only "leverage" is that he can refuse to sign the tender.  But it's not much of a threat, because if he doesn't sign the Pats still hold his rights going into next season.  So unless there's a change in the rules (in a new CBA) between now and then, he would still be in the same limbo. 

With the trade deadline in two weeks and nothing seemingly happening on this front, the most likely outcome is he reports before 11/16 and plays the rest of the season to become a UFA next year.  In that case there's not much the Pats can do but get whatever draft comp they would be due in 2012.  They wouldn't be able to trade him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request : Yes, that's right.  Mankins only "leverage" is that he can refuse to sign the tender.  But it's not much of a threat, because if he doesn't sign the Pats still hold his rights going into next season.  So unless there's a change in the rules (in a new CBA) between now and then, he would still be in the same limbo.  With the trade deadline in two weeks and nothing seemingly happening on this front, the most likely outcome is he reports before 11/16 and plays the rest of the season to become a UFA next year.  In that case there's not much the Pats can do but get whatever draft comp they would be due in 2012.  They wouldn't be able to trade him.
    Posted by Muzwell

I'm sure Mankins will report before the deadline.  His goal is to become an unrestricted free agent and test the market after the season when he can negotiate freely with any team. It will be interesting to see what the Pats do with him once he does report. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"the most likely outcome is he reports before 11/16 and plays the rest of the season to become a UFA next year.  In that case there's not much the Pats can do but get whatever draft comp they would be due in 2012.  They wouldn't be able to trade him."

Depending on the new CBA they may still be able to hit him with the franchise tag after this season.  In that case he'd still be looking at a 1yr tender offer from the Pats but at considerably more $$ than he was tendered this yr as a RFA. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I don't know the rules, but one has to think he will be persona non grata at least among the coaching staff and management.  Maybe he flunks the conditioning test and gets into one of those deals where they have X number of weeks before they make a final decison.  Hate to lose a roster spot on guy who won't be here in the future, takes a spot away from someone they have invested time in to develop.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't know the rules, but one has to think he will be persona non grata at least among the coaching staff and management.  Maybe he flunks the conditioning test and gets into one of those deals where they have X number of weeks before they make a final decison.  Hate to lose a roster spot on guy who won't be here in the future, takes a spot away from someone they have invested time in to develop.
    Posted by schwank

Although BB has shown in the past that he doesn't hold grudges against players for contract disputes.  I think BB will make the decision about whether to play Mankins or sit him purely on whether he thinks Mankins can help the team or not.  A lot will depend on our roster at the time.  If one of our better O-linemen is injured by then, I bet Mankins will be in the rotation right away. If we are lucky and don't have injuries, then a lot will depend on what other holes there are in the roster. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins to Report by 11/16 at NLFPA's Request : Personally, I don't get all the bitterness.  Contract disputes are part of life.  There's nothing wrong with Mankins rejecting the Pats offer if he doesn't think it's a good one. Samuel and Branch did the same thing and both ended up with contracts more to their liking.  The market for Mankins is still unknown. No one will sign Mankins now because the rules require teams to give up high-round draft picks in compensation to the Pats if they sign him.  So teams will wait until the offseason to make their offers. At that point, we'll see if Mankins made a good financial decision.  I think the issue in the Mankins situation is really all about guaranteed money upfront.  The Pats didn't offer much guaranteed upfront from what I hear and Mankins thinks he can get a big signing bonus from another team.  Total value of the contract isn't as big of an issue as how much is guaranteed and paid in year one.  Because of injuries and the fact that teams can cut players at anytime (regardless of contracts) upfront money is really what matters in contracts.  If the upfront money isn't there, the value of the contract in total dollars is highly discounted because there's a strong possibility that the money at the end of the deal will never be paid.

Prolate, here is my problem with Mankins.

http://www.csnne.com/09/12/10/Pats-previously-expressed-irritation-wit/v1_landing.html?blockID=309130&feedID=4023

Calling the Patriots out in public...Mankins original comments made to Mike Reiss at ESPNBoston were:

"After the 2008 season, me and my agent approached the Patriots about an extension and I was told that Mr. Kraft did not want to do an extension because of the [uncertain collective bargaining agreement]. I was asked to play '09 out, and that they would address the contract during the uncapped year. I'm a team player, I took them at their word, and I felt I played out an undervalued contract.

"That's the big thing," he continued. "Right now, this is about principle with me and keeping your word and how you treat people. This is what I thought the foundation of the Patriots was built on. Apparently, I was wrong. Growing up, I was taught a man's word is his bond. Obviously this isn't the case with the Patriots."

Sections
Shortcuts