Mankins Totally Lost?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Mankins Totally Lost?

In Response to Re: Mankins Totally Lost?:
    [QUOTE]What does this formality have to do with the story that Mankins now wants to sign the original offer, though? Here is what Murghkor said: " Mankins has now decided to go back and take the offer that was on the table, to only find it is not on the table anymore."
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

Nothing. It wasn't meant to. It's just the latest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins Totally Lost? : I wasted my money non a literature degree, and I teach it. For the record the Rime of the Ancient Mariner *is* a story.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

How did this happen?  To not have a degree in literature and teach it seems weird to me.  This is a huge supposition on my part but you must have some kinda background on it....don't you? 

Probably not the most appropriate place to post such things but Laz started it.  I totally blame Laz for this sidebar issue of literature on a football forum.  No excuses Laz, none.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins Totally Lost? : I wasted my money non a literature degree, and I teach it. For the record the Rime of the Ancient Mariner *is* a story.

Oops, I guess I put my foot in my mouth, and now I have egg on my face.  Not sure how that makes sense (guess I should have paid more attention to literature).  But I guess it wasn't a waste if you have job, even though the whole thing seems a bit circular to me. 

Since you have a literature degree I have to deduce that right now you are sitting in a Starbucks writing a novel while sipping on a frappaccino grande.  Actually, I may have my stereotype mixed up with philosophy majors.  Anyway since I don't really understand either, I have a responsibility to criticize both (It's in the Geneva conventions). 

Just out of curiousity though, if "The Rime of The Ancient Mariner" is a story than why does it rime?  Do they teach you which word rhymes with "orange" during the first year or do they wait until just before you graduate? 

Ok, just kidding.  The guy on Reading Rainbow told me a writer is a good thing to be, but he is on T.V.  Ha, look at that.  I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Probably not the most appropriate place to post such things but Laz started it.  I totally blame Laz for this sidebar issue of literature on a football forum.  No excuses Laz, none."     ~garytx

Lol...I'm with zbellino here: I wasted MY money as well, actuallyon a NON-Literature Degree too!  For just under a decade now, I've been 5 credits shy of completing my double major in English/Philosophy & Linguistics (for all those that are counting, this is approximately 1 1/2 total classes to take...and yes- I walked in the Graduation Ceremony; It's just, ya know, that whole piece of paper thing-ey...yea).  Honestly however, the most intelligent, well-read, & easily the best speakers and communicators whom I knew at my university (UConn), were NOT History or Philosophy, Nor Communications, Journalism or Psychology, Nor Pharmacy, Law, or any Technology based major...Rather, these were English and/or Education Majors.  Just, again- ya know, It's that whole: Better Job & Career thing...

BUT I however, Am NOT with zbellino RE: "Wordsworth" (or, as he is sometimes known: Coleridge).  In fact Imo, A prerequisite for Coleridge's "Suspension of Disbelief", IS a discarding, if you will, formulated presumptions, biases, and any predeterminations about what is real, what is true, what is believable, or just what is, or can be possible...  Don'tcha see Zb~?  In order for the "Willing" of that Suspension of Disbelief to actually occur, FOR that journey to actually happen (or "best" happen) for the reader, The Imagination needs to be set free (as much as it can be)...

SO the poet, Adds that air of mysticism & the imaginative within his prose, Yet makes sure to blend it in within (In Coleridge's case)- Real & Believable scenery, acts, actors, or whatever you wanna call it (bridegroom on a boatride to his Wedding) <idea of presenting some or certain mystical & imaginative elements with poetic truth />.

And so check it out, HERE is where the "Morality" aspect comes into play:

See zb, The entire idea of Coleridge he re, is for the audience to be taken on a imaginative journey, And for THIS to happen- IS almost an article of "faith" (suspension of their disbelief")...  And for THIS to happen, for this "purely imaginative journey" to be ideally realized, Certain things NEED to be removed...like the Cynicism of the reader/audience/whomever ("Oh, This isn't believable, THIS is ridiculous!").

For that reader to be engulfed, then mystified, Then transcended, Old Presumptions NEED to be cast aside:  Preformulations about what you (as the reader or audience)- Believe about what IS (through past experiences, past ideas, preset knowledge), SO you can believe what COULD be... 

And so, YES- Preformulated presumptions RE: fixed-(and very subjective)-biases regarding "Morality", IS 1 of these things which should thus, be cast aside...  In fact, I recall some quote some contemporary made towards Coleridge about "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner": "...Not having any moral whatsoever."  And Coleridge remarked something like, "The poem has TOO much of a moral."

In otherwords, Coleridge did NOT want "that moral" to interfer with this purely "imaginative journey"...Just like Coleridge woulda been pretty ticked-off by us corrupting his "Sadder and Wiser" phrase into the "morality-based-weighing" of "Sadder BUT Wiser."     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]  

Actually I was just at a deli getting pastrami on rye with a beer, and I've never tried to write even a mediocre novel.  

Just out of curiousity though, if "The Rime of The Ancient Mariner" is a story than why does it rime?  

Because some stories can rhyme, and poems can tell stories, so can songs. I think you are confusing story with novel. 

Do they teach you which word rhymes with "orange" during the first year or do they wait until just before you graduate?  

Neither. They leave you to figure such gems on your own. Still trying to figure out what I paid for. 

Ok, just kidding.  The guy on Reading Rainbow told me a writer is a good thing to be, but he is on T.V.  Ha, look at that.  I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.
    Posted by shenanigan

Reading Rainbow was a great show for kids. 

I wasn't trying to put egg on your face, I was just letting you know that someone here actually "wasted their  money." The hostility toward literature seems almost inexplicable -- if you don't like that is fine, you aren't obligated to. I'm pretty sure that's in the Geneva Convention too, but hating it to the point that you tell someone you don't know that they are a waste seems somewhat overly-dramatic.  But perhaps you are a poet and a thespian as well.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

And so, YES- Preformulated presumptions RE: fixed-(and very subjective)-biases regarding "Morality", IS 1 of these things which should thus, be cast aside...  In fact, I recall some quote some contemporary made towards Coleridge about "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner": "...Not having any moral whatsoever."  And Coleridge remarked something like, "The poem has TOO much of a moral."

That's an interesting take on it, but I think the moralizing aspect is distinct from the idea of transportation of the imagination. No one is doubting that ROTAM is moral or didactic. And no one is doubting that it requires a "willing suspension." I am just not sure when he wrote "willing suspension" he had any intention of it being a didactic device. Although it has been sometime since I read the BL. 

Now I think we should likely stay on topic, I can talk literature all day, but this isn't a literature forum, and the topic is Mankins. Or at least we can discuss Mankins vis-a-vis Ovid's Icarus given the sheer hubris of demanding the number one guard contract in NFL history, and the apparently swift retribution of being forced to sit out a contract year before what could be a strike year. LOL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WmCon. Show WmCon's posts

[QUOTE]" Ummmm... Samuel Coleridge wrote "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" not his sometime pal William Wordsworth.  And older but no wiser seems the applicable usage ...". Lol...It's funny to me that you created an account here just to act like a crass-pr#ck.  Do you know- ya know, Is there a decent poet term for that?  Or...ya might be able to coin one...
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I've been reading here a long time; I read more than I write, which seems just as sure an approach to football analysis as it does English Lit.  A 'poet term' for the Mankins situation?  How 'bout I rime off your insult?  The man's got either a brass or a glass d**k, too much manhood or too fragile.  Of course guy's can have both.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins Totally Lost? :
    Actually I was just at a deli getting pastrami on rye with a beer, and I've never tried to write even a mediocre novel.  

Just out of curiousity though, if "The Rime of The Ancient Mariner" is a story than why does it rime?  

Because some stories can rhyme, and poems can tell stories, so can songs. I think you are confusing story with novel. 

Do they teach you which word rhymes with "orange" during the first year or do they wait until just before you graduate?  

Neither. They leave you to figure such gems on your own. Still trying to figure out what I paid for. 

Posted by shenanigan

Reading Rainbow was a great show for kids. 

I wasn't trying to put egg on your face, I was just letting you know that someone here actually "wasted their  money." The hostility toward literature seems almost inexplicable -- if you don't like that is fine, you aren't obligated to. I'm pretty sure that's in the Geneva Convention too, but hating it to the point that you tell someone you don't know that they are a waste seems somewhat overly-dramatic.  But perhaps you are a poet and a thespian as well.

I think you took my post too seriously.  I was trying to bust Laz's balls because I know he was a double literature major or something.  But, no I don't like poetry, just can't get into it.  The last post was obviously a joke from beginning to end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Get under Laz's skin?  Is that possible?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

It's just, I mean- it's sorta suprising to me that shenanigan has such base depiction for someone's literary background, that he even doesn't respect the fact that the guy was the ship's main system core engineer...Honestly, the man excelled over the limitations of his inability to even SEE as well, I pray that noone has a problem with THIS Too, krikees.  He used that visor though...  Hey, hey!- Does anyone else remember that Reading Rainbow episode where Geordi was in some sorta test device accident, and the rest of the crew mourned his death, but in reality, he was left invisible where they couldn't see him, but HE could see the crew?  And here was the kicker:  Geordi found out about a Romulin intention to take over the ship, And the rest of the episode was about him leaving clues for Data to figure out the mathmatical improbablities of having so many coincidences.  I just find it kinda funny that noone seems to give a d#mn about the importance of interdimensional spheres & planes of existance in the space-time continuum, let alone the ever-present threat posed by the Romulins, huh...  Sheez, I ain't even mentioning the fact that Mr LaForge, WAS in fact, a dang Lieutenant in star fleet, and shenanigan seems to have made light of THIS as well...maybe it's a problem with authority, idk; But the point is, not-a-one of us should simply pass-off the ease at which a blind guy operates a starship's engines volatile energy sphere. THAT, at least, is something that demands the utmost of respect.  Back ta You LaMarr!   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Classic RR episode. I also love the one where Geordi designs a holodeck Moriarty to outsmart Data, and it becomes so intelligent it almost takes over the Enterprise? Reading Rainbow covers Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle. Vintage stuff.

Laz, btw, is a walking off-topic. 

@ Shenanigan -- no harm man. It (as "it" so frequently does) read a whole lot different than it was intended. Best to you and yours.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Pats' last contract offer, which reportedly would have made Logan Mankins the 3rd highest paid guard in the NFL, has reportedly been taken off the table by the Pats. The reality must be setting in with the Mankins' camp that the Patriots are perfectly willing to let Mankins sit and stew. That, along with the withdrawal of their previous offer, might explain why Mankins' agent, Frank Bauer, was whining in the press last week.

It appears that Bauer has done Mankins a gross disservice, and has given him some very bad advice: http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-boston/logan-mankins-should-have-a-conversation-with-shawne-merriman-about-holdouts-2

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]     The Pats' last contract offer, which reportedly would have made Logan Mankins the 3rd highest paid guard in the NFL, has reportedly been taken off the table by the Pats. The reality must be setting in with the Mankins' camp that the Patriots are perfectly willing to let Mankins sit and stew. That, along with the withdrawal of their previous offer, might explain why Mankins' agent, Frank Bauer, was whining in the press last week.      It appears that Bauer has done Mankins a gross disservice, and has given him some very bad advice: http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-boston/logan-mankins-should-have-a-conversation-with-shawne-merriman-about-holdouts-2
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Let's hope for the dim possibility that Mankins realizes this, and this is one of those rare time s when a player fires his agent or something and reports for duty. I would really hate to see Mankins sit out a whole year, but Sean Crowe is correct .... it feels like that might be the case.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]     The Pats' last contract offer, which reportedly would have made Logan Mankins the 3rd highest paid guard in the NFL, has reportedly been taken off the table by the Pats. The reality must be setting in with the Mankins' camp that the Patriots are perfectly willing to let Mankins sit and stew. That, along with the withdrawal of their previous offer, might explain why Mankins' agent, Frank Bauer, was whining in the press last week.      It appears that Bauer has done Mankins a gross disservice, and has given him some very bad advice: http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-boston/logan-mankins-should-have-a-conversation-with-shawne-merriman-about-holdouts-2
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I wonder how Loyal Mankins is to his agent at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It seems that Mankins' well publicized principles, his agent's whiny tactics and the Pats' willingness to play hardball with players has made this an irresolvable situation.  Someone has to concede something at some point, and I'm guessing it won't be the Patriots that fly the white flag.  The whiny agent has to realize that things may get really ugly for his client, who is just as responsible for this predicament and who threw out the gauntlet by calling his boss' boss a liar.  Welcome to limbo Mr. Mankins.  Hope you have some good books to read.     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Get under Laz's skin?  Is that possible?"   ~garytx

Sorry zbellino, I can't pass this up.  The answer is a resounding Yes, garytx...At least that is, for the particular strain of VD I got from the island-girl in Tijuana last spring, which has baffled all forms of medical treatment- penicilin, electrolicisis, wow-You name it.  I'm open to suggestion here people? (please, don't try ta get under my skin, I'm teetering on the brink).  I ain't even gonna bring up the food poisoning, pirate hijacking, nor bout of scabies I got from the cruise back home...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]" Get under Laz's skin?  Is that possible ?"   ~ garytx Sorry zbellino , I can't pass this up.  The answer is a resounding Yes, garytx ...At least that is, for the particular strain of VD I got from the island-girl in Tijuana last spring, which has baffled all forms of medical treatment- penicilin, electrolicisis, wow-You name it.  I'm open to suggestion here people? (please, don't try ta get under my skin, I'm teetering on the brink).  I ain't even gonna bring up the food poisoning, pirate hijacking, nor bout of scabies I got from the cruise back home...

Try aquamation for your VD, it's the green alternative.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]" Get under Laz's skin?  Is that possible ?"   ~ garytx Sorry zbellino , I can't pass this up.  The answer is a resounding Yes, garytx ...At least that is, for the particular strain of VD I got from the island-girl in Tijuana last spring, which has baffled all forms of medical treatment- penicilin, electrolicisis, wow-You name it.  I'm open to suggestion here people? (please, don't try ta get under my skin, I'm teetering on the brink).  I ain't even gonna bring up the food poisoning, pirate hijacking, nor bout of scabies I got from the cruise back home...

I know Leishmaniasis isn't an STD, but I got it that way. I mean the first time it happened  I was like "ruh?" The second time just p!ss-d my doctor off. But long story short, they treated it with a series of exotic anti-fungal/anti-protozoals. I'd look into that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Mr. Computer, Arch please.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The latest on Mankins is that he's prepared to sit out the season. We shall see: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5492437

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He has better be. The vibe I am getting right now is that the Patriots wouldn't hire him if they could.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]You people have no idea what Mankins was offered. The only reports we have are those from management. I, for one, have no problem with Mankins holdout. He should get every penny he can out of the Pats. Afterall, the Krafts aren't exactly breaking the bank, with resigning Brady, now are they?
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]

"You people"? Meaning everyone but you? Were you sitting at the table when the offer was made? NO? Then, I guess you have no idea what the offer was either, do you?

You also have no idea where the reports came from. Absolutely none. Yet you categorically state that they came from management. Are you saying that you scooped every sports media source in the country? Because I read them all, and I have yet to see any mention of where the salary number being tossed around came from.  

You also lecture us that Mankins should "get every penny he can out of the Pats".  Really? Is that how free agency works?

Has someone on this site suggested otherwise?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

My guess is that the Pats wanted Logan to accept this year's tender and that the contract would start next year, whereas Logan probably was looking to have the contract start this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Here's an interesting update from Rotoworld yesterday. They have not placed him on the Roster exempt list with Hopes that he'll have a change of heart after the Season starts. Somewhat Contrary to what his agent keeps saying about the Pats dealing in bad Faith.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3177

The Patriots have apparently opted against placing unsigned restricted free agent LG Logan Mankins on the Roster Exempt list as the Chargers did with Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill.
    Mankins' agent keeps accusing the Patriots of escalating the conflict, but the facts suggest otherwise. Mankins would be subject to a three-game suspension if the Pats do end up placing him on Roster Exempt. It makes more sense to avoid the suspension in case Mankins has a change of heart once the game checks start flowing, and he isn't on the receiving end.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Its like I have said all along the Patriots are not the bad guys here... now with Asante Samuel I think they low balled him but at the time I felt he wanted a little bit too much but still they low balled him.
    First they (the Pats) scheme for Olines is one that doesn't value OG's as much as OT's and Centers. They want the Center to be SMart first so they can trust him to call out the right assignments and he has to atleast hold his own in terms of the physical part. Then the OT's are the Studs and they use Lunch Pail OG's because they know with coaching from one of if not the best Oline coach in the NFL they can get by. I remember two maybe three years ago an article in SI or Pro Football Talk or somewhere that Scar is reguarded by most if not all the coaches in the NFL as being a brilliant Oline coach. So much so that the Patriots didn't want to loose him so they gave him the title of Asst. Head Coach. Also says alot that he has been here for I think 3 maybe 4 HC changes. Kraft family knows what they have with him and it also helps he doesn't want to leave the area so it is a Win win.
    Patriots own all the cards and Mankins is drawing dead but he doesn't know it yet. So he doesn't loose this year towards counting on his service years for contract purposes he should either do the deal or work out a one year deal and then realise the Patriots might franchise you and trade you after this season. No one else would get franchised on the list of 2011 free agents that I could think of. 
    I expect deep down Mankins knows this but he was forced into a hard line stance (like Vincent Jackson and a couple others) who found them selves caught up by the "new" rules for FA's. He can't be so stupid as to sit out the year loosing this year to counting towards his years of service, not to mention the lack of pay (though I hear he has saved most of his 7 million made so far... sounds like a smart man in that reguard anyway). 

Sections
Shortcuts