Mankins Trade Value.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Mankins Trade Value.....

We could probably get at least a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.  He's a top 5 guard in the league and there are plenty of teams that need a blue-chip upgrade on their O-line.  Hopefully, Mankins is smart, resigns with the Patriots, plays another 6-8 seasons for the Patriots and goes down with Bruce Armstrong and John Hannah as one of the best offensive linemen ever to wear a Patriots uniform.  But if we can't resigns Mankins, I love the Hoodie's approach of always getting some value for a player under contract. 

It worked for Tebucky Jones, Laurence Maroney, Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, Ellis Hobbs, and Randy Moss. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Mankins Trade Value.....

I think you unload him to a team that you feel may be a bad team in 2011 and get a high 2nd rd pick.

Maybe Carolina wants him to build around. Something like that.  You go into next year's draft with yet again multiple 2nd round picks, and that's not such a bad thing, especially if you can score a Tackle like a Solder or Costanzo at 17 and then score a Pouncey type as LG and groom him for future Center after Koppen leaves.

I am still trying to figure out why people think Mankins is John Hannah. He's not. He's a top 5 NFL Guard, which is certainly great to  have, but he's not this "best" player at his position that the media has seemingly framed him to be.

It's a fine line to toss away soemthing you know to be a commodity on the roster, but it's also a fine line to overpay a greedy, selfish player.  It will only open more doors for that kind of behavior down the line.

Sometimes I wonder what fans are looking at when it comes to understanding market value based on what the player's contract demands are.

The other day Killa flipped out when I said 2nd rd pick.

You get the impression NE really wants him here because they have not only said so, but they offered him a top market deal. But, you also get the impression the media and some fans completely overrate Mankins because of this media driven anti-BB concept that permeates this market.

NE is "cheap" and doesn't pay, remember?

That BB is such an evil bully for not paying him 10 million per year for 7 years! 

lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

no way for just a 3rd. we can get a 3rd round compensatory next year if he gets away in FA. at least a high 2nd for him.  plus we are probably going to tag him and work out a contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Another thing that must factor into this somehow is Brady's public support of Mankins. He's said it on at least 3 occasions this past year that he'd love and wishes Mankins would be kept around for long-term. Usually, I hear him say "It's not really my job [to discuss another player's situation]" but with Mankins, he was obvious in how he felt.

As much as Belichick would publicly deny it (and rightfully so), part of this has to be to keep their HOF QB happy. He's been completely battered the past 3 playoff games and getting rid of your best lineman wouldn't exactly be a peace offering.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins Trade Value.....:
    [QUOTE]I think you unload him to a team that you feel may be a bad team in 2011 and get a high 2nd rd pick. Maybe Carolina wants him to build around. Something like that.  You go into next year's draft with yet again multiple 2nd round picks, and that's not such a bad thing, especially if you can score a Tackle like a Solder or Costanzo at 17 and then score a Pouncey type as LG and groom him for future Center after Koppen leaves. I am still trying to figure out why people think Mankins is John Hannah. He's not. He's a top 5 NFL Guard, which is certainly great to  have, but he's not this "best" player at his position that the media has seemingly framed him to be. It's a fine line to toss away soemthing you know to be a commodity on the roster, but it's also a fine line to overpay a greedy, selfish player.  It will only open more doors for that kind of behavior down the line. Sometimes I wonder what fans are looking at when it comes to understanding market value based on what the player's contract demands are. The other day Killa flipped out when I said 2nd rd pick. You get the impression NE really wants him here because they have not only said so, but they offered him a top market deal. But, you also get the impression the media and some fans completely overrate Mankins because of this media driven anti-BB concept that permeates this market. NE is "cheap" and doesn't pay, remember? That BB is such an evil bully for not paying him 10 million per year for 7 years!  lol
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

i agree ...it seems they do want him but I dont see them paying more than what the market dictates especially when they did fine without him... except for adalius they have been pretty smart in how they have spent

well see..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

You don't see too many o-lineman going for first round picks so I guess he is probably worth a 2nd if we trade him. My feeling on the subject of Mankins in general is that we shouldn't trade him. We need him and we can swing the salary cap money so lets just make him play this year and then revisit the situation again next year when we know what's going on with the salary cap. If he decides to sit out for 8 games again this year then that means he only gets 5 million and he played pretty good after sitting out 8 games last year so nobody's hurt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Mankins Trade Value.....:
    [QUOTE]We could probably get at least a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.  He's a top 5 guard in the league and there are plenty of teams that need a blue-chip upgrade on their O-line.  Hopefully, Mankins is smart, resigns with the Patriots, plays another 6-8 seasons for the Patriots and goes down with Bruce Armstrong and John Hannah as one of the best offensive linemen ever to wear a Patriots uniform.  But if we can't resigns Mankins, I love the Hoodie's approach of always getting some value for a player under contract.  It worked for Tebucky Jones, Laurence Maroney, Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, Ellis Hobbs, and Randy Moss. 
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

I think you are about right with his value. I'm thinking between a 40-96 pick range truthfully. For the contract he's going to demand no team will offer a 1st unless it's like Seymour deal where it's down the road. We'd most likely get a 3rd comp pick for him so I'd put the minimum trade at #96. Which given the choice I'd rather keep him but if he demands a trade any pick above the 3rd comp pick is better then him sitting out for an extended period again. Provided a new CBA is reached before the draft and the tag is still present he could be real good value to use to trade up with #28. To a team like lets say Was who could use a top end G and a new QB you might be able to package up #28, #72 and Mankins or #17 and Mankins and get up #10. TB might also be interested to jump from #28 to #20. The Bears also need OLine help you could try to deal Mankins and #60 to get to #29.

Imagine taking Kerrigan/Smith at 17, Wilkerson 28, Wisniewski/Pouncey/Castonzo/Sherrod at 29. That would be a steal and still have #33 to trade back and get a couple more picks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Mankins Trade Value..... Imagine taking Kerrigan/Smith at 17, Wilkerson 28, Wisniewski/Pouncey/Castonzo/Sherrod at 29. That would be a steal and still have #33 to trade back and get a couple more picks
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I'd be more concerned if Mankins was a Tackle or Center.  But, not a Guard. 

I prefer continuity on the line and wish Mankins was here long term, but if he's going to continue to be belligerent about it, then absolutely look for a high 2nd rd type of a return and use the draft.

For some reason, these Steve Hutchinson, Pete Kendall, Alan Faneca types all think they are Hall of Famers.  I am just not buying it.  All very, very good players in their primes, but I don't see it as some slam dunk "the best" player type of a thing that has really triggered this movement for Guards to hold out.

What you have above here is exactly what I mean.   At worst, you go into camp with Connolly, Wendell, Kazcur and a top notch rookie at Guard and see what happens.

Draft Solder, Carimi or Costanzo and get some youth in there as well.  If need be, move Vollmer who knows the system. Carimi could play Guard or Tackle. So, he's also a possibility.

They have options here. This is why NE maintains the leverage in this and may just be waiting for the CBA to settle to see if they can sweeten the pot a little on Mankins.

His agent seems to have brainwashed him, just like he did with Revis, in thinking his client is by far and away the best at the position.

Not only is it debatale, it's not really the case.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/607790-belichick-patriots-set-to-dominate-2011-nfl-draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mankins is going to be tagged pretty soon.  The sides will then try to work out a deal which should happen since both Kraft and BB have stated publically that they want to keep him.  However, if a deal isn't reached, Mankins will have to agree to be traded because all he has to do is not sign the franchise tender and he can't be traded. 

The most likely landing spot if he's tagged and wants to be traded is Oakland.  Mankins is from the bay area, Oakland doesn't have a first rounder this year and they have need at OG.  A 2nd round pick in 2012 would likely be the deal since Oakland won't give up their 2nd this year to us too.

I'm betting a deal gets done for Mankins to stay in NE.  He's not a top 5 OG.  He's a top 2 guard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

this guy could feed the oline for a week...I say pull the trigger...literally

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

[QUOTE]no way for just a 3rd. we can get a 3rd round compensatory next year if he gets away in FA. at least a high 2nd for him.  plus we are probably going to tag him and work out a contract.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Never happen she's gone, adios maybe to chicago

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the Pats want to sign him. Kraft has said as much.  I think this may very well be similar to what they did with Wilfork last year--tagged him, then worked out a deal. 

Of course, with the CBA in limbo, who knows what will happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

at this point we dont really need picks this year.  if we trade makins it will be for a 1st in next years draft

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Pats want to sign him. Kraft has said as much.  I think this may very well be similar to what they did with Wilfork last year--tagged him, then worked out a deal.  Of course, with the CBA in limbo, who knows what will happen.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

I know the Pats want to sign him but will he want to sign? This might be more similar to the A$ situation then Wilfork unfortunately. If it turns this way the tag might be enough to protect the Pats and give them some value in return with a trade

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

we get ticked off when we only get a 2nd for Cassell.  We now say it is ok for a 3rd for Mankins.  We are getting a 3rd in compensation if he goes free agent next year.  I would not trade Mankins for less than a 1st.  He is the best offensive lineman we have.  The right side is going to be rebuilt this year.  Neal is done.  Vollemer will be moved to the left side.  So letting Mankins go would lead to a complete new line for the start of the season.  That is too much change and will lead to Brady being hurt.  I say, sign him and let him play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

1) Without a CBA, there can be no trades that involve players, only trades involving picks for picks.

2) Not being under contact, the Pats can't trade Mankins.

3) At this point, the only way they could trade him is if he signs the franchise tender first. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]we get ticked off when we only get a 2nd for Cassell.  We now say it is ok for a 3rd for Mankins.  We are getting a 3rd in compensation if he goes free agent next year.  I would not trade Mankins for less than a 1st.  He is the best offensive lineman we have.  The right side is going to be rebuilt this year.  Neal is done.  Vollemer will be moved to the left side.  So letting Mankins go would lead to a complete new line for the start of the season.  That is too much change and will lead to Brady being hurt.  I say, sign him and let him play.
    Posted by msteven[/QUOTE]

Ideally, we want a 1st for every player that leaves the Patriots but even for Mankins, there is no market for a 1st round pick, especially for a guard. I just don't see that happening...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]we get ticked off when we only get a 2nd for Cassell.  We now say it is ok for a 3rd for Mankins.  We are getting a 3rd in compensation if he goes free agent next year.  I would not trade Mankins for less than a 1st.  He is the best offensive lineman we have.  The right side is going to be rebuilt this year.  Neal is done.  Vollemer will be moved to the left side.  So letting Mankins go would lead to a complete new line for the start of the season.  That is too much change and will lead to Brady being hurt.  I say, sign him and let him play.
    Posted by msteven[/QUOTE]

Lol, haha what world are you LIVING in?  Logan Mankins is a FANTASTIC zone-blocking (far easier than man-blocking), 29 year old before the start of next season, Offensive GUARD, who ABSOLUTELY and will NOT take 1 penny apparently less than #1, maybe MAYYYYBE in some insanely ideal world-#2 In the ENTIRE NFL-Top 1-2 paid O-Guards in the LEAGUE, and ya can't bet'chr #ss, Mankins wants MASSIVELY front-loaded up-front $ + Massive Signing Bonus (so he's not cut), AND undoubtedly, Mankins would NEVER sign an NFL Contract below 6 years (b/c he'll be shootin' towards an 7 year deal, no doubt).  I mean, are you even aware that THE A#1 Very VERY best OG in all of college football each year, some 22 year old, with lightyears left on his NFL body time-span wise (in football), does NOT nearly ever go off the Draft Boards until the last 3 or 4 picks of Round #1 at the very earliest (sometimes the very best OG in college doesn't even come off the draft board until the opening of Rd #2), A Guy that WILL sign for not even 1/4 of what Logan Mankins wants a year (there's a salary cap in football, ya know)...  Also, GREAT Offensive Collegiate Guards probably account to being Dead, DEAD-Last in their bust-potential (so it's not like spending the farm on an untested collegiate top qb)...And so you're saying now, some NFL team will step up and deliver whatever 1st rd pick they have in the future, to NE, for a 29 year old, zone-blocking, ENORMOUS costing, offensive guard.  I ain't sayin' he's not good, but JESUS, let's hold on to reality for a moment!?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommmper. Show Stommmper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins Trade Value..... : Lol, haha what world are you LIVING in?  Logan Mankins is a FANTASTIC zone-blocking (far easier than man-blocking), 29 year old before the start of next season, Offensive GUARD, who ABSOLUTELY and will NOT take 1 penny apparently less than #1, maybe MAYYYYBE in some insanely ideal world-#2 In the ENTIRE NFL-Top 1-2 paid O-Guards in the LEAGUE, and ya can't bet'chr #ss, Mankins wants MASSIVELY front-loaded up-front $ + Massive Signing Bonus (so he's not cut), AND undoubtedly, Mankins would NEVER sign an NFL Contract below 6 years (b/c he'll be shootin' towards an 7 year deal, no doubt).  I mean, are you even aware that THE A#1 Very VERY best OG in all of college football each year, some 22 year old, with lightyears left on his NFL body time-span wise (in football), does NOT nearly ever go off the Draft Boards until the last 3 or 4 picks of Round #1 at the very earliest (sometimes the very best OG in college doesn't even come off the draft board until the opening of Rd #2), A Guy that WILL sign for not even 1/4 of what Logan Mankins wants a year (there's a salary cap in football, ya know)...  Also, GREAT Offensive Collegiate Guards probably account to being Dead, DEAD-Last in their bust-potential (so it's not like spending the farm on an untested collegiate top qb)...And so you're saying now, some NFL team will step up and deliver whatever 1st rd pick they have in the future, to NE, for a 29 year old, zone-blocking, ENORMOUS costing, offensive guard.  I ain't sayin' he's not good, but JESUS, let's hold on to reality for a moment!?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]
    Lazz, Im starting to get a headache by all this he said, they said between the Patriots and Mankins. I have to agree with you ........but............I wonder what Doctor House MD would think?
    (Picture is of Dr. House doing exam on Laura Maroney for Dancing Sideways)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mankins Trade Value..... : I know the Pats want to sign him but will he want to sign? This might be more similar to the A$ situation then Wilfork unfortunately. If it turns this way the tag might be enough to protect the Pats and give them some value in return with a trade
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I'm sure for the right deal he'll sign. My suspicion all along is that the Pats offered short guaranteed dollars last year (possibly because they were offering so much to Wilfork and Brady).  I think this year they'll come up with a deal that works for Mankins much like they did for the other two guys.  I don't buy into the whole "Mankins is greedy, Mankins is an idiot" line that some people seem to want to promulgate.  I suspect the Pats offer really was on the low end of the market last year and that this year something will get worked out. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Heard on the radio this AM that the tag was non-exclusive, which may mean that it could drum up a little competiton for his services if the Pats decide they can't or will not resign him.  Forgive me if this is old news.   I realize the tag option could be moot as the old CBA expires, but this sounds like the Pats have established Mankins' value and will tell him to find a better deal and acceptable draft pick compensation if he wants no part of their offer.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Nice.  So, that keeps the window open for a trade once the CBA is completed.

Ship him out. Keep the 10 million and spread it out over the first 3 draft picks.

Then, get aggressive in FA in other areas.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Why trade him?  Why not pay him?  He's a great player.  He single handedly turned the running game around.  If getting another Mankins was easy, then keep him and get another one in the draft, and then the Pats would have a dominant Oline.  Jonanthan Kraft could be the running back with a pair of Mankins blocking for him and he'd rush for 1,000 yards.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Disagree. That is a myth. NE was running all over teams before Mankins returned.

That's a fact.

Crumpler and Gronkowski singlehandedly turned the running game around. With BJGE, Woodhead and no forcing the ball to Moss.

NE could trade him to avoid paying for a bloated deal for a greedy player.  Pretty simple.

I don't see too many NFL teams paying a Guard 8+ million per year.

Why didn't Maroney run for 1000 yards with Mankins?  Hmmm?

Credit dealing Moss and adding Crumpler/Gronk, BJGE and Woodhead to the mix which in turn changed their running philosophy, not Mankins.

Mankins is a good run blocker, however.  He's not this John Hannah HOFer that the media has brainwashed some fans into believing he is.