mankins-what will it take?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

mankins-what will it take?

that we do need this guy is beyond debate, especially with kazcur out, perhaps for the entire season. belichick knows that. kraft knows that. they can trade away one of their hign draft picks and get a decent enough o-lineman,and/or sign one up who`s just been released... or get lucky with a FA  who may be out there somewhere. but this looks to be an excellent offense, but LUCK won`t cut it. brady both wants and needs a great line to be all that he can be. again BB, kraft and even mankins know this. so what will it take to get him back? he knows the NE system, and it would seem that he doesn`t have personal problems with coach belichick. so what gives? is it that he`s under the control of a greedy agent, or is sort of delusional as to his true worth? is bob kraft really that cheap?  i know that patience is the order for the day, but we need this guy...like the Saints needed their big-time O-linman, who they succeeded in signing. bob kraft.... it`s time to sit down and work it out, once and for all. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: mankins-what will it take?

It will take Mankins coming to his senses and being reasonable. Don't forget the Pats won a couple of Superbowls without anyone of his caliber on the team. They can do it again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

little give and take.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I wish people would stop slapping the panic button around here.  You do not sign anybody at all costs.  Especially a guard.  After what Mankins started if I'm in the front office his butt is gone if I can get a trade.  If not, it's hardball time and I'm not giving an inch.  As it stands right now he'll never see that kind of money after what he's pulled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Doesn't it seem like there are more players who want a new contract than in previous years? 

Now I think Mankins, and the Chargers players have a legitimate beef due to the collective bargaining agreement.  Beyond that, though, there just seem to be more players out there complaining.  

What I wonder is whether the players union told players that they need to push things with management and complain publicly in order to get the court of public opinion on their side. 

Or could it be that these contract demands have always been there and contracts have always gotten done, but because of the CBA none of them are getting done? 

Off subject but with regard to contracts, I think the Jets are sitting in a pretty good position with Revis.  They can make him the highest paid DB not named Asomough (sp), and if he is unwilling to bite, they can let him sit for 3 years.  Its his rookie deal, so I am sure he's not being paid too much.  Make an example of him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

There is no true"universal absolute value" for a player. All values are with respect to the situation at hand. The Pats did not go after a qb in the early draft rounds.
    Same thing with Mankins, like it or not his value TO THE PATRIOTS just went up.
    If the Pats had a offensive line like the Bills, Pats fans would be screaming for the Patriot organization to bring some talent in. Not only is Mankins a known talent, he is a product of the Pats system. There is almost no way the Pats will find anything that will be close to a replacement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

hmmm...a guarentee that he wont be traded to the chiefs or raiders would probably start the ball rolling

i know it would for me...and probably most of you as well me thinks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOL, trade him to NYJ for Revis

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Mankins likely wants something in the $60 mil + over seven years range. His agents are likely using the Jahri Evans contract as the starting point for negotiations. Like it or not, that is what top guards are getting paid. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I think we should pay him. The guy is not only good he's durable. They will eventually have a rookie wage scale and the rest of that coin will be spread out thru the vets. *who deserve it more*. And if they raise the salary cap Kraft will have more to spread... I'd also give Gostowski his coin too. He'll be around the league for another 10 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Mankins is an outstanding guard,arguably the third best in the game.He is not,however,the equal of at least Evans and Hutchinson and perhaps one or two more.If the amount being offerred is even close to what is reported,it certainly is a more than adequate starting point for negotiations as it puts him in about the middle of the top five guards in the game.His personal attacks on Kraft and the organization as a whole were at best,foolhardy and at worst,a stupid plan of attack.Calling into question the integrity and truthfullness the man who owns the company you work for does not put your employers in a warm and fuzzy mood to negotiate with you.Biting the hand of the one who feeds you,especially when he is feeding you millions of dollars in an extremely suspect economy and with the unkown of what the next collective bargianing agreement might contain is a lousy idea.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

WE Need to Protect #12!!!! Period.  Pats better FIX this situation, and DO whatever it takes to make this situation right. 

Mankins mentioned, the Pats lied to him.  So whatever the Pats 'promised' him at the end of last year - the Pats aren't following up with their end of the promise.  This is why Mankins is pissed and isn't budging.  So, s*ck it up and figure out how to make this situation right here.  We need Mankins to protect Brady and help out the other guys on this line or we Brady will get killed back there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Lets see how the Pats Offensive line looks this PreSeason without him. If we can be somewhat Cohesive then Mankins can eat a big one. From what I can tell- "What it will take". The guy wants to be the highest paid Offensive lineman in the game.
    I'm not waving the white flag on our Offensive line yet as it is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: mankins-what will it take?:
    In Response to Re: mankins-what will it take? : Yeah, that Slauson guy is a real find. So is Brandon Moore.  Wow!  Mankins isn't as good as either one of them.  I have to laugh at the Jets fans thinking the loss of Faneca and Thomas Jones is nothing.
    Posted by russgriswold

With all due respect Russ - you've been on record as saying the pats line is currently in fine shape without Mankins and Kaczur, a frequently injured Neal, and an aging Light. 

You appear to suffer from the same condition.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

He is not,however,the equal of at least Evans and Hutchinson and perhaps one or two more.

Then why does he feel he deserves a bigger contract than Hutchinson?  Put another way, if you had the option to pay Hutchinson $7 million/year to be your LG or haggle with Mankins about a bigger contract during the preseason, which option would you choose?  Right...Hutchinson. 

Honestly, I'd rather see what a guy like Ornberger or Bussey can do at LG at this point.  Putting Kazcur there wasn't going to work, injury or no injury.  The same logic would hold that the Pats shouldn't experiment with Light at LG, even though he was a LG at Purdue (I believe Kazcur was also a OG/OT in college).  By all accounts, Bussey and Ornberger both had stellar college careers and were highly regarded.  Let's see what they can do at this level.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The Pats truly hold the cards here.  If Mankins doesn't come to the table then he's out for at least this year and perhaps next if there's an owner-induced lockout. 

I'm guessing that the number one priority with the Pats at this point is signing #12 to a long term deal.  On the other hand, both sides of the Mankins negotiations have been totally silent of late; that may or may not mean something but my guess is that it means they're talking and keeping quiet about it.

My 2 cents.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In Response to Re: mankins-what will it take? : Yeah, that Slauson guy is a real find. So is Brandon Moore.  Wow!  Mankins isn't as good as either one of them.  I have to laugh at the Jets fans thinking the loss of Faneca and Thomas Jones is nothing.
    Posted by russgriswold

They are significant, as is the loss of Mankins.  Mankins help both the running and passing attack.  The Jets are run reliant and losing important components (also Washington) will hurt them. Revis certainly hurts as well.

It would be fair of the Pats to throw out the tender year - which the Pats insist stay - and start with the freaking new contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Re: mankins-what will it take? : I agree. I don't get it. NEal was rated higher than Mankins last year. I am not saying that Neal is better especially with the age difference, but NE has some quality veterans and a Pro Bowl caliber RT now on the line. Why weren't people flipping out before Kazcur got hurt?  Kazcur was going to be given a shot at LG as an experiment, learning new positioning, etc. Depth is an issue, but they still have some bodies as well.  Don't sleep on this Chiaciuc guy.  He played Center for many games in this league, so he's been around.  I think he got dinged up in KC last year and was cut before he could do anything. But, if he's making calls at the line as a Center, he can play Guard.
    Posted by russgriswold

Neal is statistically the best lineman when he's playing but he's not durable. If we got a whole year out of Neal playing up to his standards than losing Mankins is a wash. This is a terrible situation to be in. They offered Mankins a huge contract so he's pretty important to the Pats.  Don't underestimate how bad this leaves the line when Brady starts forcing the ball into INTs this year. Granted I'm hoping they don't need him but I don't think its realistic. I never bought into Kaczur filling in for him either.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: mankins-what will it take? : With absolutely no respect, line continuity is important and this O Line isn't relying on all Pro Guard to run the ball. NY was. Ferguson improved when Faneca arrived.   Not a coincidence.  Pitt's running game got worse in 2008 and 200 , while NY's went top 10 in 2008 to #1 in 2009. I know for a fact NE's run game is NOT contingent upon Logan Mankins.  It's contigent upon overall health, continuity on the line, and playcalling by O'Brien with execution of this offense. This is the fundamental difference.  Sanchez HAS TO HAVE that running game. Brady does not. Welker is 50% of the running game here. Thanks for attempting to play today.
    Posted by russgriswold

I wasn't questioning whether or not you were right about Jets issues on the oline, I was questioning how you do so but consider the pats as currently "solid" given 2 starters possibly gone, one old, another frequently hurt, and continuity (a past strength) questionable.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Don't underestimate how bad this leaves the line when Brady starts forcing the ball into INTs this year.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

When Brady gets smack around because of weak offensive line everyone will be signing a different tune.  Seems like they should come to an agreement but I think Brady's contract should be done first.

Offensive line...not looking good so far...

dboss

Sections
Shortcuts