Mankins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Mankins

I wanted the Pats to give him the money....I wish he would lead by example. His penalities, like movement ones, are not what your Vet should be doing. He's still pretty solid but I was thinking he should be a tad better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Please give the money back to the organization. Thank you.

Do you think Belichick screwed up on this one?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

He is not performing to his contract. Issue is he is still owed big bucks next year. If we cut him, because I doubt we could trade him given his contract, the the pats would eat 8m, but save 2m. At that, it's probably better to keep him because I doubt they get a decent guard to replace him for 2m. Not a good contract at all for the pats, and one that will be tough to get out of anytime soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Mankins' problem is that when he screws up it tends to be really bad so we all remember it.  Sure he's probably a bit overpaid (most players that get big contracts are), but he still does a lot of good things for the O-line.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Never wanted him to get the deal in the first place. Guards aren't gems, you can take any aging out of shape power OT and make him a guard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Yes.  If you weren't some Johnny Come Lately tool troll here, it is well known during the 2010 standoff, I said to trade him off even for a 2nd rder to a crap team, if a 1st rd pick wasn't able to be procured.

In fact, I was the only one who took that stance from what I can recall here. 

Wrong yet again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Yes.  If you weren't some Johnny Come Lately tool troll here, it is well known during the 2010 standoff, I said to trade him off even for a 2nd rder to a crap team, if a 1st rd pick wasn't able to be procured.

In fact, I was the only one who took that stance from what I can recall here.  People were running around calling Kraft cheap, BB all kinds of names, etc. It's the only contract negotiation BB has ever lost, IMO.

Since then, Mankins has regressed and lived off of some garbage tough guy rep where he's under-performed in SBs and playoff games.

It's also annoying when no one mentions his poor play week after week, simply because Brady considers Manky a binky.  Either you're in the multi-millionaire star binky club here or you're not. Mankins going unchecked here for so long is a problem.

The media needs to start pointing it out. No one cares that he drove cross country in 2005 to sign his contract in some old pick. The real fans care about the now and how he plays at 8 million per.

Isn't there a saying, you just don't pay guards top money?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Several Guards cashed out big time prior to Mankins deal so the comps were against the PATS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I have no problem with BB choosing to invest a lot of money in the offensive line.  Brady is our greatest asset so spending money to protect him doesn't seem like an awful strategy.  As for the "don't pay guards like tackles" mantra that seems to me to be a bit outdated.  There seems to be a lot of physical freaks out there that play huge inside and can collapse the pocket from the middle.  Plus the FOTM strategy on D lately seems to be kicking guys inside in passing situations to try and get pressure up the middle.  As we all know Brady's greatest asset (his pocket presence) is neutralized if the interior gets beat.  I don't agree with posters that think we should just plug in any guy there and it will be good enough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I have no problem with BB choosing to invest a lot of money in the offensive line.  Brady is our greatest asset so spending money to protect him doesn't seem like an awful strategy.  As for the "don't pay guards like tackles" mantra that seems to me to be a bit outdated.  There seems to be a lot of physical freaks out there that play huge inside and can collapse the pocket from the middle.  Plus the FOTM strategy on D lately seems to be kicking guys inside in passing situations to try and get pressure up the middle.  As we all know Brady's greatest asset (his pocket presence) is neutralized if the interior gets beat.  I don't agree with posters that think we should just plug in any guy there and it will be good enough.

Problem with this idea is that Mankins is more a run protection OG than a pass guy. Paying Mankins doesn't protect Brady, it only helps with the running game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Problem with this idea is that Mankins is more a run protection OG than a pass guy. Paying Mankins doesn't protect Brady, it only helps with the running game.

When he was signed Mankins was one of the best run blocking guards in the game, but still an above average pass blocker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In fact, I was the only one who took that stance from what I can recall here. 

Wrong yet again.

Wasn't you, I can tell you that. You take the 180 position from me every time just like your entire group does, just to play contrarian.

No dumbkoff. This is one of the 3 times we have ever agreed on anything. I loathe ALL Pats players that have ever held out. Learn you history of the board Megatool.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yes, you were in on the "Kraft is cheap" rallies on here, whining about not paying Brady enough, Mankins and Wilfork.  Yes you were.

LIAR! Never said any of that that imbecile.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Terrible game yesterday. You don't pay guards...hopefully lesson learned.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I watch the coaches film most games, and from what I see there Mankins is our best offensive lineman.  Sure he makes some mistakes, but if you watch him block (run and pass) play after play, you'll understand why BB paid him the big bucks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Mankins' problem is that when he screws up it tends to be really bad so we all remember it.  Sure he's probably a bit overpaid (most players that get big contracts are), but he still does a lot of good things for the O-line.

Disagree.  Our goal line blocking is also poor to his side.  

Mankins was bad vs the Steelers and has had a subpar season in 2013, but it was Develin who failed to block Polomolu on that 4th and goal. A FB who can't run block won't last long in this league.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mankins is playing with an injury. He's too good to be playing this bad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I assume you're refering to the fourth and one when Ridley ran left and got stuffed? Watch that play again and you'll see Mankins, Solder, and Gronk plow a path for Ridley three yards into the endzone.  Unfortunately Wendell got blown up and the lineman he was supposed to block ended up catching Ridley from behind.  The left side of the line blocked well, but Wendell and Connolly got blown up and allowed a tackle from the backside. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I assume you're refering to the fourth and one when Ridley ran left and got stuffed? Watch that play again and you'll see Mankins, Solder, and Gronk plow a path for Ridley three yards into the endzone.  Unfortunately Wendell got blown up and the lineman he was supposed to block ended up catching Ridley from behind.  The left side of the line blocked well, but Wendell and Connolly got blown up and allowed a tackle from the backside. 

Of course. It's always the others guys with you, Prolate.  It's never the guys who get paid the most.

Ugh.

Never ends.  Keep it up.  We'll be another SB and Manky will be looking like a turnstyle again like he always has in postseasons.

Hey, what can I do?  It's all on tape for everyone to see.  Ridley gets stuffed because Wendell gets run over.  Mankins meanwhile is driving his man three yards deep into the endzone.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hey, what can I do?  It's all on tape for everyone to see.  Ridley gets stuffed because Wendell gets run over.  Mankins meanwhile is driving his man three yards deep into the endzone.  

Oh, stop with the facts already.  They ruin so many arguments!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yes, mankins is a good run blocker but he has his issues with quicker dt's that rely on speed to win the battle. if bb is fine with paying 10m to a run blocking guard so be it. I tend to think this money could be allocated better...see Talib.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

per PFF

Laggin’ Logan

A troubling trend is developing at left guard for the Patriots. Logan Mankins has earned three significant negative grades as a pass blocker in his last four games – a stretch unlike we’ve seen from him in the five-plus years we’ve been grading his play. His Pass Blocking Efficiency rating is dropping (now 95.5, 36th among guards) and, when combined with center Ryan Wendell’s known weakness in that aspect, is working to widen the danger area for potential problems, not something Brady will like to see given his history with pressure up the middle. With 13 total pressures allowed in the three games (sandwiched around a clean sheet against the Jets) compared to the seven pressures he gave up in the season’s first five weeks, there’s hope that is an extended blip. The Patriots will hope that’s the case and not a downturn of longer hold.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Yes, mankins is a good run blocker but he has his issues with quicker dt's that rely on speed to win the battle. if bb is fine with paying 10m to a run blocking guard so be it. I tend to think this money could be allocated better...see Talib.

Lifer, do you purchase the coaches film?  It's a bit pricey, but it really is the only way to fairly evaluate O line play.  I don't profess to be a complete expert on the details of O line play or technique, but at least on the film you can see in detail what's happening.  Since I've purchased it, my respect for Mankins has really increased, especially when comparing his play to Connolly's or Wendell's.  The one thing that is noticeable even to a relatively untrained eye like mine is how Mankins hits the D lineman or LB he's blocking square on almost every play.  And he gets him low enough to have good leverage.  Connolly and Wendell by comparison seem to have a lot of off centre hits where they get turned pretty easily by the defender.  I'm not an expert, but you don't have to be to see how much more consistent Mankins is than any other interior O linemen on the Pats' team now in squaring up his defender and keeping control.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Of course. It's always the others guys with you, Prolate.  It's never the guys who get paid the most.

Ugh.

Never ends.  Keep it up.  We'll be another SB and Manky will be looking like a turnstyle again like he always has in postseasons.

Or Mankins missed his assignment, which is a big reason for Brady getting drilled every sack this year, with Mankins being a tunrstile AGAIN.

You can spin it however you want, but when I see #70 missing his assignment in pass protection or when sealing the block, that's on him, not magically someone else.

No player is perfect.  But if you watch every play in the game on film, it's pretty obvious who the best interior lineman on the Pats is . . . by a country mile.  

BB didn't mess up signing Mankins.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Lifer, do you purchase the coaches film?  It's a bit pricey, but it really is the only way to fairly evaluate O line play.  I don't profess to be a complete expert on the details of O line play or technique, but at least on the film you can see in detail what's happening.  Since I've purchased it, my respect for Mankins has really increased, especially when comparing his play to Connolly's or Wendell's.  The one thing that is noticeable even to a relatively untrained eye like mine is how Mankins hits the D lineman or LB he's blocking square on almost every play.  And he gets him low enough to have good leverage.  Connolly and Wendell by comparison seem to have a lot of off centre hits where they get turned pretty easily by the defender.  I'm not an expert, but you don't have to be to see how much more consistent Mankins is than any other interior O linemen on the Pats' team now in squaring up his defender and keeping control.

No I haven't purchased coaches film. I understand there is a lot we don't see on TV. A link to how I can purchase would be appreciated.

i get what you are saying but do we really want to compare mankins (who is supposed to be a top 3-5 guard and making 10m next year) to Connolly and Wendell? 

Rkarp's last post is telling. "Ranked 35th amongst starting guards on pass blocking". That is huge for a guy getting paid like top 5 at his position. No?

Sections
Shortcuts