Manning Career Stats Being Undermined By Use Of PIDS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Manning Career Stats Being Undermined By Use Of PIDS

Peyton Manning is not being drummed out of the league or anything. But it is clear with his weaker play in cold weather and especially in playoffs and cold, that his use of PIDS has been a major boost to his legsacy. PIDS, in case you are unaware, is Perfromance Inside Domed Stadiums.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Manning Career Stats Being Undermined By Use Of PIDS

Who knows. I honestly hate domes. You can twist the argument that having a home stadium at a dome is a disadvantage.

When dome teams play on the road against cold weather teams its considered a disadvantage.

When cold weather teams play on the road in a dome it's not really considered a disadvantage.

Playing outdoors in bad weather games during the regular season helps prepare teams for those bad weather games during the playoffs.

Unless you can secure home field advantage, I honestly feel dome teams are even more disadvantaged come playoff time.

That being said, Manning has choked in just as many home dome games as he had outdoors! It's just a performance in january/february thing for Manning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah. Domehead will always have an * because of the dome.

Now he's decided the thin air works best with the weak arm. Elway told him that air gives 5 mph more on the fastball and Fetus Head was sold.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Who knows. I honestly hate domes. You can twist the argument that having a home stadium at a dome is a disadvantage.

When dome teams play on the road against cold weather teams its considered a disadvantage.

When cold weather teams play on the road in a dome it's not really considered a disadvantage.

Playing outdoors in bad weather games during the regular season helps prepare teams for those bad weather games during the playoffs.

Unless you can secure home field advantage, I honestly feel dome teams are even more disadvantaged come playoff time.

That being said, Manning has choked in just as many home dome games as he had outdoors! It's just a performance in january/february thing for Manning.

Actually, the point is that cold and/or wind and/or rain and/or snow all negatively affect the passing game. If you are playing more games in perfect conditions it will help passing statistics. This doesnt mean Manning isnt a great QB. But he has a real, measurable advantage statistically over the course of the year (every year), till this year. And this year he played in Denver which, with its thinner air makes it weasier to throw the ball when the weather is at all half decent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't know about the thin air in Denver making it easier to throw, I think the difference in force to throw would be almost immeasurable.  Didn't mythbusters do something on that?

I've always been of the opinion that the only thing that makes Manning "great" to some people are gross yardage numbers, and the only way he managed to get more yards than everyone else was by throwing more passes.  Is he a top QB? Yes, but there's little evidence he is better than Brees or Rodgers or Warner, he simply threw more passes at nearly the same efficiency rate.

With more passes came more yards, and TDs and interceptions but a truly great QB would be more efficient like throwing less interceptions For the same yards.  I just can't say that throwing for 500 passes 4000 yards and 12 interceptions is better than throwing 450 passes for 3500 yards and 8 interceptions. Seems to me the second guy was better but that's not what espn tells us.

Add in the fact that when Manning had James a very good RB but he refused to let him run in for a TD.  Look at how many rushing TDs the Pats had in 07, twice as many as Manning had in 04.  If Brady was willing to be selfish and call his own number he would have thrown 60TD passes that year.  And that's with Maroney as his lead back, a truly terrible RB while James was a great player.

That's why when Manning is having a historical season in 04 he doesn't break any team scoring records, because all he's done is steal all the TDs his RB could get.  It's also probably why he keeps losing in the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

If I were commish I would ban the use of domed stadiums in NFL games for all future construction.  In other words, if you want to build a domed stadium and use it for other events fine, but not for NFL games.  Football was meant to be played outdoors in the elements.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Yeah. Domehead will always have an * because of the dome.

Now he's decided the thin air works best with the weak arm. Elway told him that air gives 5 mph more on the fastball and Fetus Head was sold.

LMAO !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

If I were commish I would ban the use of domed stadiums in NFL games for all future construction.  In other words, if you want to build a domed stadium and use it for other events fine, but not for NFL games.  Football was meant to be played outdoors in the elements.

AMEN! Football is an outdoor sport. Period. I also think all playing surfaces should be the same; i.e. hockey-ice, basketball-hardwood, baseball-dirt & real grass.Make them all the same,level the playing field so to speak. The elements are a part of the game. PLAY IT OUTSIDE!!! Nobody complains in Green Bay do they!!! Personally, I love watching the snow throwers during Pars' games!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

There are a couple things that favored Manning in order for him to achieve his prodigious regular season stats:

#1 - The dome factor, as mentioned here..

#2 - The Colts accentuated the passing attack and built the team to fit Manning's passing skill sets.

With his talent, and building a team around that talent, you get what you get.  It really has only been since about the 2006 season or thereabouts in which the Patriots let Brady loose from a passing perspective and look what he achieved in these last 6 years or so.  Imagine if TB had been passing like that, and the offense going to a passing attack like it is, since Brady's earlier years!  Would he have rivaled Manning in passing stats?  Who knows.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Dang, I thought you meant Performance Interfering Drugs!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was just shocked when he came out to the center of the field for the coin toss and was wearing gloves, that scarf thing and had his hands tucked into his hand warner. He had a look on his face like he was freezing. This surprised me, because here was a guy playing all year in Denver...he had to of practiced in the cold at least a couple of times - yet it looked like he was totally out of his element. Disgraceful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I wonder if Peyton sits at home tomorrow, drinking Manhattens for breakfast watching SF ATL pre game and thinking....."another bad decision" Could have played GB at home in SF and could have destroyed ATL in a dome today.....DAMN IT.

Sections
Shortcuts