Manning or Brady as MVP Decided This Week?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Manning or Brady as MVP Decided This Week?

The outcome of the 49ers @ Patriots and Broncos @ Ravens games will likely decide whether Peyton Manning wins his 5th MVP, or Tom Brady takes home his 3rd such honor: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000110262/article/mvp-forecast-tom-brady-passes-peyton-manning 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Manning or Brady as MVP Decided This Week?

If it is simply who is having the better year I give it to Brady. If it is who is most valuable to his team... well, tie I think. But I also think that Manning has a sentimental edge because (1) he is coming off an injury and (2) he is doing this with a new team. Both are impressive but neither are what the MVP award is meant to honor. Still, while I favor Brady it is hard to argue with Manning - or Peterson - as they are having great years.

If Brady is going to have a chance for the award not only do the Pats have to win this game, he has to be at HIS best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

brady should get MVP.....peterson and manning should split comeback player of the year, just my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Man, this is gonna be a great weekend.  BAL-DEN, HOU-IND and NE-SF.  I only wish they'd move one of those early games to 4.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I keep hearing how much more valuable Payton is to the Broncos, but didn't they make the Playoffs and beat the Steelers with Tebow last year?  Unless he wins the SB this year, it's just not that much of an upgrade.  He's not going undefeated or winning the first 10 or 11 games like he did in Indy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I don't understand the thinking behind P-Manning having the edge because he's with a new team and producing while they fail to mention that in reality the only ones here making any adjustment are the broncos players from the offensive side, since they're running P-Manning old Indy Offense. I'd give him credit for his play outdoors, he's not in a dome anymore and is still playing on a high level. I just don't think he should win the MVP because of what he had to overcome health wise, for that there's a comeback player award.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

All good points, but imho Brady's taking home the SB MVP this year, regardless.  It'll be a nicer addition to the trophy case.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

brady should get MVP.....peterson and manning should split comeback player of the year, just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I keep hearing how much more valuable Payton is to the Broncos, but didn't they make the Playoffs and beat the Steelers with Tebow last year? 

[/QUOTE]

Good point. TB should be the MVP hands down

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

You know how everyone was saying how Peyton was MVP last year since the Colts dive proved how valuable he was?

Well, a rookie QB with 18 interceptions and a shell of the team he had made his old team contenders and as you have said on this thread the broncos were not that bad last year. Not big improvement.

OK, that aside I do think he is one of the best. Still think there is a lot of hypwe around him. He should get co-comeback player of the year with Peterson.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Again, MVP IS NOT who is most valuable to their team. It is the player who is more valuable than any other to any team.

Brady is having a better years based on Gomer's nearly 2.5X as many INTs as Tom....

But.... Fetus Head has previously won such an opinion based award he did not deserve. So don't be shocked if they give him his 5th. Like Luck, Manning's hype is revolting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I agree TP , this weekend should decide it as long as he can maintain for the last two games. Brady is better and has had the better year but Manning and his return to the game makes him the media favorite. If Brady plays well again this weekend and the Patriots win, the MVP is Brady's IMO. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The MVP has been decided. This week won't matter. Brady very well might win a unanimous mvp again.....2nd time in NFL history!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Tomhab's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I keep hearing how much more valuable Payton is to the Broncos, but didn't they make the Playoffs and beat the Steelers with Tebow last year?  Unless he wins the SB this year, it's just not that much of an upgrade.  He's not going undefeated or winning the first 10 or 11 games like he did in Indy. 

[/QUOTE]

they went 8-8 to get in and won by a ridiculous combination of luck and things tim tebow will never do again

peyton has them at 10 wins already-legitimate wins not miracles-and he didn't get going till week 5-6 due to missing a year

not a good argument

what about matt ryan?  and you could say megatron is really the mvp b/c without him detroit wouldn't even be competitive and he is routinely double teamed-unfortunately detroit hasnt won enough-and he is chasing one of jerry rice's records?

[/QUOTE]

So based on your logic, Eli 2 SB victories against brady and the pats are not legit? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Man, this is gonna be a great weekend.  BAL-DEN, HOU-IND and NE-SF.  I only wish they'd move one of those early games to 4.

[/QUOTE]

Or Monday Night!  What a junk game that is! 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

actually the CB-Chic, NJG-Atl, Pitt-Dall games will give us alot of insight who the best team in the NFC is going to be. Right now SF is not the best team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

There you have it, for anyone to win MVP over Manning they not only have to put up superior numbers in every category, but do it against superior competition with less support... and even then it might not work, even if you break a record.  Like say the record for completion percentage in a season like Drew Brees in 2009.  MVP is the same as prom queen and will be because it's a media award not a NFL award.

Also, Babe is right.  MVP is not most valuable to their team. It is undefined, but has always been understood to be the best player.  Why would anyone want an award for the best player on the worst team based on abstract what if's?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The outcome of the 49ers @ Patriots and Broncos @ Ravens games will likely decide whether Peyton Manning wins his 5th MVP, or Tom Brady takes home his 3rd such honor: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000110262/article/mvp-forecast-tom-brady-passes-peyton-manning 

[/QUOTE]

Another good post on an issue that, while not important to the actual game, is relevant for fans. I hadn't really thought of that, except that if Brady performed his best in the two game stretch he would take it. 

But yes, the amazing performance, just gutting the Texans from the spread without Gronkowski was step one. 

It set up this close race. And yeah, whoever performs better in those primetime/big market games, will likely have the inside track for the final leg of the MVP race.

Good to see you back, btw, Tex.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if we are talking about who is truly more valuable, its manning.  He came in and completely changed the Broncos offense from an option run offense to a pro style pass offense.  He had to learn all new receivers and running backs.  He had to learn a new system and a new coaching staff.  He had to learn a completely new environment.  So he did all that while essentially changing the culture of a team and recovering from an injury no one was sure he would recover from. 

When all is said and done, however, MVP usually becomes a stat driven award unless a player does something uniquely remarkable like Manning did in 09 when the team had 7 or 8 comeback wins enroute to an undefeated season until the players were rested. 

I assume Brady will win it.  He's be nothing short of spot on all year and the pats are the best team in the league. 

Manning will win comeback player of the year over peterson because players have comeback from ACL's quickly before ala Welker.  A lot of people, including experts, thought Manning might not ever come back. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if we are talking about who is truly more valuable, its manning.  He came in and completely changed the Broncos offense from an option run offense to a pro style pass offense.  He had to learn all new receivers and running backs.  He had to learn a new system and a new coaching staff.  He had to learn a completely new environment.  So he did all that while essentially changing the culture of a team and recovering from an injury no one was sure he would recover from. 

When all is said and done, however, MVP usually becomes a stat driven award unless a player does something uniquely remarkable like Manning did in 09 when the team had 7 or 8 comeback wins enroute to an undefeated season until the players were rested. 

I assume Brady will win it.  He's be nothing short of spot on all year and the pats are the best team in the league. 

Manning will win comeback player of the year over peterson because players have comeback from ACL's quickly before ala Welker.  A lot of people, including experts, thought Manning might not ever come back. 

[/QUOTE]

He's running the same system he ran in Indy and he's running it on a team that made the playoffs with Tebow. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Again, MVP IS NOT who is most valuable to their team. It is the player who is more valuable than any other to any team.

Brady is having a better years based on Gomer's nearly 2.5X as many INTs as Tom....

But.... Fetus Head has previously won such an opinion based award he did not deserve. So don't be shocked if they give him his 5th. Like Luck, Manning's hype is revolting.

[/QUOTE]

Fetus head?  Based on your posts I assume you are at least 50 years old.  I would think that you would have matured enough to stop using childish names to describe others?  Clearly I am wrong, and jealousy is a significantly stronger emotion than I have assumed. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's running the same system he ran in Indy and he's running it on a team that made the playoffs with Tebow. 

[/QUOTE]

He's running a combination of the OC's offense and the indy offense.  It is not entirely Indy's system, but Manning's fingerprints are all over it. 

The broncos through 13 games this year have exceeded the team's wins, points, and yards from the prior year while gaining half as many yards on the ground. 

Last year, while running a similar offense to Manning's this year with similar personnel but Kyle Orton under center, the Broncos went 1-4.  It took a complete offensive style change to Tebow of ball control, running, and QB option running.  The team's second leading rusher last year was the QB.  This year, Peyton Manning has 6 yards rushing. 

On the offensive side of the ball, what failed last year for the broncos is succeeding this year and what is succeeded last year is gone from the playbook. 

Thanks for helping make my argument.

Sections
Shortcuts