Manning to the Broncos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: Manning to the Broncos

In Response to Re: Manning to the Broncos:
    [QUOTE]Wow, how could he pass up the Niners? Could he be holding out for the most money??? Reports say he wants 5 years 90 million and Denver was in that ball park.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Bedard had a column about this - if he passed on the Niners it says that winning a SB was not his primary consideration.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, how could he pass up the Niners? Could he be holding out for the most money??? Reports say he wants 5 years 90 million and Denver was in that ball park.

Given the financial screws Manning, P., put to Indy last season -- and what we already know about his endless product hucksterism -- it's tempting to simply believe that this guy is all about the money and nothing else. Clearly, Chan Sanfrisco is a much more "complete" team, but I can't help but wonder if staying out of Eli's way was a major consideration in this deal.

Obviously, the dream scenario is for Peyton and Eli to play against each other in the Super Bowl, and while I'm not sure Denver is necessarily a solid bet in that direction, virtually any quarterback who can actually pass makes a team that backed its way into a title in that putrid division last season a clear favorite going forward.

Bottom line (and as has been said): This is just one more solid reason to hate the Broncos.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Strange choice for Manning. I echo's ZB's sentiment. 49ers would have been the better option. They are SB ready at this point, better TE/receiving corps.

This might change Denver's priorities come draft time. I can see them targeting a WR high now. Thomas and Decker are not enough for Manning to work his magic if he still has it. Denver drafts 25th. 2 spots ahead of NE. Do you see a WR now being targeted by Denver to compliment Gomer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Elway was going to throw Tebow under a bus, it was only matter of time. Tebow seems like a nice kid who has charactor and intangibles, but he can learn how to actually play the position from Manning. Denver has a good defense and a number of young players on offense (Thomas) who could make life interesting in the AFC East. My guess is that management tries to surround Payton with more talent on  offense. They could take former Colts players with whom he's comfortable. Saturday, Wayne etc...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Manning to the Broncos : Yeah, Bedard had a column about this - if he passed on the Niners it says that winning a SB was not his primary consideration.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

Right!?!?

I must conclude that Manning is a loser. He has always been a loser(college to pro's) and now he will continue in his loser ways. Enjoy the big pay check buddy, and enjoy the holiday dinners where you will now be the 2nd best QB in the Manning family.

The Niners were the means to another SB for this guy but I guess "Gomer" just couldn't see it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Word to the wise,do not be surprised if little Timmy Tebow winds up in New England...BB and Josh both love this guy and sometimes they get the whole picture where others only see a blank screen...I'm just saying it is more likely than not that he winds up a NE Patriots clipboard holder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Strange choice for Manning. I echo's ZB's sentiment. 49ers would have been the better option. They are SB ready at this point, better TE/receiving corps. This might change Denver's priorities come draft time. I can see them targeting a WR high now. Thomas and Decker are not enough for Manning to work his magic if he still has it. Denver drafts 25th. 2 spots ahead of NE. Do you see a WR now being targeted by Denver to compliment Gomer?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

If the Broncos hadn't just lost Royal to SD, I would definitely say that Denver has better WR than SF, now I'd say the jury is out.  Thomas showed glimpses of being a dominant WR last year and that was with a very inconsistent QB. 

Vernon Davis is obviously a beast but SF's WR were bad last year, Manningham is a bit of an upgrade and Moss is just a big question mark. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Don't discount the influence of the schedule.  Realistically I think he is looking at the first year as make or break in the comeback.  SF plays road games at GB, NO, NE and NYJ next year, plus NYG play at SF.  Bruttle for any QB coming off an injury.

I don't like his selection of Denver, but the guy is risking his neck (literally) on his choice so he's probably a better judge than I am.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

St Patty's day has come and gone, but the pats fans can't seem to get the
    green out of their eyes where Manning is concerned. 

All who say SF is in much better shape than Denver, I'll agree to disagree.  Here's why.  In SF, they've got a formerly prima donna TE, a prima donna #2 receiver, and just picked up a 36 yr old Prima Donna receiver.  They all may be talented, but what good is talent when the routes aren't run correctly or plays are taken off.  Etc.  Yes, Gore is a beast that any QB would love to have.  SF's D is great, but the receiving corps is suspect.  Manning is demanding.  How's that going to play with Crabtree and Moss? 

Further, I agree with whomever said the NFC is the tougher conference.  At this time it possesses the last 3 SB Champions-all different teams-and with possibly the exception of NO (who knows what happens there) they should all be competitive.  And there's Eli. 

On the other hand, Denver made it to the divisional round, beating Pittsburgh, with a running QB who can only hit his receivers by divine intervention.  Mark my words, if Manning is fully ready to go (and I think he will be) Eric Decker will be a probowler next year and possibly all-pro caliber.  Thomas will get significantly bette.  The defense is already stout, and what it lacks will be helped by Manning's presence as he played most of his career in Indy with a suspect defense, albeit a decent pass rush. 

There is no reason to think that Denver won't be a SB contender with a healthy Manning. 

Forget my first paragraph.  I get the jealousy thing now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Do you think SF is that far ahead of Denver TC? I don't. If Manning plays like himself I wouldn't be surprised at all if Denver won a Superbowl.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think SF is that far ahead of Denver TC? I don't. If Manning plays like himself I wouldn't be surprised at all if Denver won a Superbowl.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

I think SF has the best defense in the league.

They have a great offensive line.

They have a great running game.

They have a great TE.

They added a play maker at really their only position of need...wr in Manningham and Moss.

They play in a weak defensive division.

They just went what 13-3 without Manning, then they add some play makers and if they added manning that is a scary team.

I think they are a better team in all 3 phases then Denver.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]St Patty's day has come and gone, but the pats fans can't seem to get the green out of their eyes where Manning is concerned.  All who say SF is in much better shape than Denver, I'll agree to disagree.  Here's why.  In SF, they've got a formerly prima donna TE, a prima donna #2 receiver, and just picked up a 36 yr old Prima Donna receiver.  They all may be talented, but what good is talent when the routes aren't run correctly or plays are taken off.  Etc.  Yes, Gore is a beast that any QB would love to have.  SF's D is great, but the receiving corps is suspect.  Manning is demanding.  How's that going to play with Crabtree and Moss?  Further, I agree with whomever said the NFC is the tougher conference.  At this time it possesses the last 3 SB Champions-all different teams-and with possibly the exception of NO (who knows what happens there) they should all be competitive.  And there's Eli.  On the other hand, Denver made it to the divisional round, beating Pittsburgh, with a running QB who can only hit his receivers by divine intervention.  Mark my words, if Manning is fully ready to go (and I think he will be) Eric Decker will be a probowler next year and possibly all-pro caliber.  Thomas will get significantly bette.  The defense is already stout, and what it lacks will be helped by Manning's presence as he played most of his career in Indy with a suspect defense, albeit a decent pass rush.  There is no reason to think that Denver won't be a SB contender with a healthy Manning.  Forget my first paragraph.  I get the jealousy thing now.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Agree with most of what you say but I'm not ready to call the Broncos a Super Bowl contender.

I totally agree that people are over-valueing SF free agent WR moves.  I don't see Moss as an incentive for Peyton to go to SF.  Manningham is decent but has always had issues running good routes.  People forget that on the drive before his classic catch, he basically ran himself out of the same play on the opposite sideline.  Furthermore, a good QB will make decent WR's great.  Brady has done it his whole career. 

To me the NFC angle has always been a sticking point. A. b/c Peyton probably doesn't want to play Eli more than once every 4 years and B.  b/c the NFC is just better right now.  Other than New England, I could make a case that there are 7-8 NFC teams as good as anyone else in the AFC.  We all know it is QB league and the NFC is far and away deeper and younger at the QB position. 

Peyton knows the path to the super bowl is the path of least resistance and the path of least resistance is the conference where TJ Yates and Tim Tebow win play-off games, not the conference where Mike Vick, Tony Romo and Jay Cutler miss the play-offs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]I now hate manning.  no respect left for this guy.  Tebow has enough stacked against him and you move right in and kick him out. TEBOW TO JAX TO MJD = PLAYOFFS
    Posted by getdrunkstupit[/QUOTE]

You got to be kidding!! Like Tebow or anyone else wouldnt do such a thing? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Manning to the Broncos : Agree with most of what you say but I'm not ready to call the Broncos a Super Bowl contender. I totally agree that people are over-valueing SF free agent WR moves.  I don't see Moss as an incentive for Peyton to go to SF.  Manningham is decent but has always had issues running good routes.  People forget that on the drive before his classic catch, he basically ran himself out of the same play on the opposite sideline.  Furthermore, a good QB will make decent WR's great.  Brady has done it his whole career.  To me the NFC angle has always been a sticking point. A. b/c Peyton probably doesn't want to play Eli more than once every 4 years and B.  b/c the NFC is just better right now.  Other than New England, I could make a case that there are 7-8 NFC teams as good as anyone else in the AFC.  We all know it is QB league and the NFC is far and away deeper and younger at the QB position.  Peyton knows the path to the super bowl is the path of least resistance and the path of least resistance is the conference where TJ Yates and Tim Tebow win play-off games, not the conference where Mike Vick, Tony Romo and Jay Cutler miss the play-offs.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I think we generally agree.  Manning could make any of SF's receivers better, but they've got to want to be better, and while Davis is a stud TE, he had his prima donna issues, as have crabtree, moss, and Manningham.  There's a lot of risk there. 

And I agree with your reasons why he wouldn't want to go to the NFC, but I'll add another.  He knows the AFC.  He knows the players. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/19/peyton.manning.49ers.titans/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

King thinks Manning was scared of the SB or bust type pressure that would come with going to the Niners. This sounds about right for Peyton. I'm glad PM has no qualms about juicing a team for 90 million as long as the expectations on him are not too high...LMAO

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

5 years 95 mil? HAHAHAHA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Manning to the Broncos : I think we generally agree.  Manning could make any of SF's receivers better, but they've got to want to be better, and while Davis is a stud TE, he had his prima donna issues, as have crabtree, moss, and Manningham.  There's a lot of risk there.  And I agree with your reasons why he wouldn't want to go to the NFC, but I'll add another.  He knows the AFC.  He knows the players. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

UD6 you should run out right now and buy yourself an Orange Cush T-Shirt.  You can always go back to being a Colts fan when Manning retires and Luck starts to pan out.  maybe 2014 or 15...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/19/peyton.manning.49ers.titans/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2 King thinks Manning was scared of the SB or bust type pressure that would come with going to the Niners. This sounds about right for Peyton. I'm glad PM has no qualms about juicing a team for 90 million as long as the expectations on him are not too high...LMAO

Maybe, but it is not exactly like going to Denver doesn't come without some controversy and expectations.  He is going to replace a guy who is wildly popular with a large chunk of the fan base, so if Peyton doesn't get Denver to the play-offs like Tebow did this year, it isn't hard to figure out where that will go for the Tebow supporters.  It is an absolutely massive risk by Elway and the rest of mngmt and ownership.

Regarding expectations in SF, last year was very much a perfect storm kind of season for them, and expecting them to duplicate 13 wins, with or without Peyton is not realistic. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Manning to the Broncos : UD6 you should run out right now and buy yourself an Orange Cush T-Shirt.  You can always go back to being a Colts fan when Manning retires and Luck starts to pan out.  maybe 2014 or 15...
    Posted by Tomhab[/QUOTE]

Tom - I can still be both, but when Indy plays Denver, I'll be rooting for Indy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I think the Broncos should keep Tebow, they can send him out twice a year when they play the Raiders to keep Manning from getting his neck broken.  Who know Tebow could even with the home game!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Early reports say 5/$95. You've got to be kidding. No way I give him five years, not with his age and injury history. Very foolish and desperate move by Denver IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Early reports say 5/$95. You've got to be kidding. No way I give him five years, not with his age and injury history. Very foolish and desperate move by Denver IMO.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Remember, though, contracts aren't guaranteed and lengthening a contract is a way to spread the salary cap hit of the signing bonus over a longer period.  Sometimes you give a guy a long contract because you want to keep him a long time.  Sometimes you do it just to manage the salary cap impact of the signing bonus better. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Early reports say 5/$95. You've got to be kidding. No way I give him five years, not with his age and injury history. Very foolish and desperate move by Denver IMO.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

That is huge money.  Gotta wonder how much is guaranteed and what kind of out clauses there are regarding another neck injury? 

2 things are clear though.... 1.  Denver really didn't want to go with Tebow.  2. Elway's front office legacy hinges on this deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Richard Seymour on Peyton Manning:

“In all seriousness, our league is a better league with Peyton and we look forward to the opportunity to face a quarterback like Peyton,” Seymour said. “It provides a measuring stick for where you are as a defense to be the best — and to be the best, you have to beat the best.”

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Manning to the Broncos : Maybe, but it is not exactly like going to Denver doesn't come without some controversy and expectations.  He is going to replace a guy who is wildly popular with a large chunk of the fan base, so if Peyton doesn't get Denver to the play-offs like Tebow did this year, it isn't hard to figure out where that will go for the Tebow supporters.  It is an absolutely massive risk by Elway and the rest of mngmt and ownership. Regarding expectations in SF, last year was very much a perfect storm kind of season for them, and expecting them to duplicate 13 wins, with or without Peyton is not realistic. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Expecting SF to get 13 wins with PM is unrealistic? I disagree. They have built a very good team out west that can win without a top tier QB talent. Add receiving options and one of the best QB's of all time and you are pretty good.

Sections
Shortcuts