Mannings contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lloydchristmas. Show lloydchristmas's posts

Mannings contract

Andrew Brandt reports that if Peyton passes a team physical on March 13, 2013, and his neck is ok, he will be geraunteed 40 million. 20 in 2013 and another 20 in 2014. He is making 18 million this season. 
       Wow!  That will be a fun discussion after this season when the Broncos go 8-8 and have to make a decision. Assuming his neck isnt broken by then. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Mannings contract

Denver will liekly recoup that in jersey/ticket sales, lol. 

It should be interesting to watch -- the league is more fun with Manning in it. The team switch ads drama. I, like you, don't think Denver is going anywhere far unless they also strike it big in the draft.

I get some of the reasons why he would choose Denver ... but I still an shocked he would choose them over SF, who have more talent, pretty much around the horn, and were a few plays away from a SB berth with Alex Smith at the helm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It IS all about the MONEY!!!  If I read this correctly, he got more out of Denver than the Colts would have paid with the difference being the $28M bonus due this month if he has stayed with Indy.  He obviously wants to get paid and stay ahead of Brady, too.  I think Denver was the only team willing to ante up this type of money.

The guy has had FOUR neck surgeries in the last two years, no one knows how he'll take a hit or how his throwing has been truly impacted by the neck issues.  Granted, the contract may be worded to take the neck issues into consideration, but, that's a lot of $$$$$!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lloydchristmas. Show lloydchristmas's posts

I was actually hoping that he would have singed with SF, that would have been more interesting for me. 
      But yeah dont be fooled its all about the $$$ for him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Denver will be the place PM goes to quietly fade into obscurity, while still able to get one last pay day. SF would have been the place PM could have gone to compete for another championship. I really thought at his age he would go to the team that gave him the best chance to win, guess not.

96 million after 4 neck surgeries. This reminds me of the story about Unitas signing his deal when he really knew he was done and asking the owner just before inking "are you sure you want to do this"?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Ok Champ.  You are allowed to judge the contract now.  I don't know who they thought they were bidding against.  I guess in theory there might be something in there if his neck goes, but I doubt it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

It looks like I spoke too soon.  The Broncos are definitely on the hook this season, but it looks like most of the guaranteed money is contingent on his neck being healthy.  Some crappy scenarios are still possible, but they did a pretty good job protecting themselves financially if his neck explodes.  Full analysis of the guarantees mentioned by the OP here: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55762/brandt-assessing-peyton-manning%E2%80%99s-deal

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

drew bress and his agent must be pissed.

Manning coming off a year and 4 surgeries to his neck gets 5 years 96 million, and brees cant get out from under a franchize tag.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Mannings contract:
    [QUOTE]drew bress and his agent must be pissed. Manning coming off a year and 4 surgeries to his neck gets 5 years 96 million, and brees cant get out from under a franchize tag.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

Good point.  NO's FO won't be sending Elway a gift basket this Christmas that's for sure.  Brees just got a ton of leverage.  He is going to get paid or he is gone after this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Mannings contract:
    [QUOTE]Andrew Brandt reports that if Peyton passes a team physical on March 13, 2013, and his neck is ok, he will be geraunteed 40 million. 20 in 2013 and another 20 in 2014. He is making 18 million this season.     Wow!  That will be a fun discussion after this season when the Broncos go 8-8 and have to make a decision. Assuming his neck isnt broken by then. 
    Posted by lloydchristmas[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am laughing at how Indy didn't want to pay his bonus after putting that into his contract, then releasing him and now Denver with no return (Indy probably could have added 2 1st rd picks from Denver), another poorly run AFC team thinks Peyton Manning can somehow have some surge at the end of his career.

All because John Elway "looked into his eyes" and believes he can return to old Gomer form. Pretty freaking funny.

The last year Manning was great was 2009.  What QB misses a full season at age 35 and comes back like nothing happened?  It;s never been done, I'll say that.  If Denver had a great rushing attack, a great O Line (Yes, I know they did last year, but Tebow's presence grew their run game), the it might make more sense. But, I think Manning seriously thinks this is 2009.

What's somewhat funny to me is the subtle arrogance of it all and then naive nature in which Elway and Denver thinks he's just going to transport his prime Indy years into a Donkey uniform.  It's also funny how the media doesn't call out Manning for chasing down the money. Denver had the most to spend of all the teams.

Teams that cut corners in their building philosophy never succeed, and this is no different. 

Manning is a guy who only had 1 coordinator, 1 Center, the same group of WRs and TEs, essentially his entire career and played half his games in a cushy dome.

Has Manning ever beat Crennel and the Pats? That's 2 losses per year for Denver now in the division.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

He would have way less control of the offense in SF.  Harbaugh is somewhat of a control freak.  Plus, I also believe he feels if he wins a superbowl with Denver it will be more because of HIM.  In SF, he would just be the final piece in an already made superbowl team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crawfe. Show crawfe's posts

Haha Elway would have paid anything to not have TT as starter for the next few years. This is the only way that Elway could gracefully get out of that situation and have a passer back at the helm. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

SF was never able to compete. All Manning did was feign interest in order to drive price.  SF jumped in hoping they could try, but also to drive the price up for Arizona, too. 

That's why multiple teams in multiple divisions kicked the tires. As if Manning was going to want to play Indy 2x per year?  Come on. 

Denver, the WHOLE time, had the most cash to spend for the interested teams. So, now, it's all Gomie "likes the AFC", "really liked their WRs", etc. Baloney.

He took the most cash. 

That was a bad 8-8 team that got red hot on the heels of divine intervention and Tebow Mania.  Good luck expecting it all to come together paying a 36 year old with a bad neck, one hit away from the blind side, from setting your franchise back a decade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ Couple of things...Brees rejected a 18 mill per year offer and wanted a 21 mill per year deal. he wanted to make more then PM and Brady. That is not N.O's fault imo.

Another thing...anytime a QB misses an entire NFL season(offseason etc..) they will not be the same player when they return.

Tom Brady had the best comeback from injury in NFL history after the horrifying knee injury and still was not the same QB.

Peyton will not be the same QB, he knows it and I think he went to the team that would allow him to be excused for not being successful. As in if Denver goes 9-7 the prognosticators will say {hey they improved}

If PM went to SF and didn't make the playoffs or was bounced early he would be crucified. He took the easy way out!

He is not a real competitor imo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Haha Elway would have paid anything to not have TT as starter for the next few years. This is the only way that Elway could gracefully get out of that situation and have a passer back at the helm. 
    Posted by crawfe[/QUOTE]

Exactly, That's why I was saying in the other thread, that the Jets, Colts and Broncos all made horrendously stupid GM moves this offseason.  Everyone knew Elway was looking for an escape route and Peyton knew they had massive cap room.

Skins, Cowboys, Dolphins, Titans and to some degree SF too, possibly with Alex Smith taking off.

I'd be incensed if I am SF fan knowing we were two STs fumbles away from a SB with Smith, and now we sign Moss and Manningham and we don't have that QB?

I mean, wow. I expect the mismanagement from Snyder and Jerry Jones, along with the Jets and Tannenbum, but not from SF at this point.

The Lions sort of put themelves in a spot with the Calvin Johnson deal, too. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]^ Couple of things...Brees rejected a 18 mill per year offer and wanted a 21 mill per year deal. he wanted to make more then PM and Brady. That is not N.O's fault imo. Another thing...anytime a QB misses an entire NFL season(offseason etc..) they will not be the same player when they return. Tom Brady had the best comeback from injury in NFL history after the horrifying knee injury and still was not the same QB. Peyton will not be the same QB, he knows it and I think he went to the team that would allow him to be excused for not being successful. As in if Denver goes 9-7 the prognosticators will say {hey they improved} If PM went to SF and didn't make the playoffs or was bounced early he would be crucified. He took the easy way out! He is not a real competitor imo.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, too.  The media is dodging ALL of these concepts.   They're just bypassing all of it.

I've yet to hear one analyst say "he took the most money" or "he took the option that had the least amount of pressure to win".

It's the "he's comfortable in the AFC".   Yeah, I am sure he;s more comfortable playing Crennel and ascending CHiefs club 2x per year, a Def COordinator whom I believe he's never beaten (?), a pesky CHargers team good for 10 wins per year, Houston rising, the Pats, Buffalo rising, Cincy rising, etc.

Pitt and Balt will still be hanging around, to boot.  Manning is pulling a Favre. He's trying to control the entire situation and at the same time act like he's not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

Having had over 6 neck surgeries I don't see him being 100%, I was a body builder and after my 3 surgery I could no longer compete. It's just hard, you body is not the same. Your back has to do more for you, like turning, I'm fused from my skull to t2, because I kept overdoing and I was just "living" not getting hit for a living. If your neck can not function as it was designed too them unfortunately your back has to take more of the every day stresses. I think he is foolish to continue and Elway even more so for giving him a boat load of cash!!! He's not old but is considering he's recovering from a major surgery. I'm sure The Colts would have kept him if he was 100%, Luck or not!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Mannings contract : I agree. I am laughing at how Indy didn't want to pay his bonus after putting that into his contract, then releasing him and now Denver with no return (Indy probably could have added 2 1st rd picks from Denver), another poorly run AFC team thinks Peyton Manning can somehow have some surge at the end of his career. All because John Elway "looked into his eyes" and believes he can return to old Gomer form. Pretty freaking funny. The last year Manning was great was 2009.  What QB misses a full season at age 35 and comes back like nothing happened?  It;s never been done, I'll say that.  If Denver had a great rushing attack, a great O Line (Yes, I know they did last year, but Tebow's presence grew their run game), the it might make more sense. But, I think Manning seriously thinks this is 2009. What's somewhat funny to me is the subtle arrogance of it all and then naive nature in which Elway and Denver thinks he's just going to transport his prime Indy years into a Donkey uniform.  It's also funny how the media doesn't call out Manning for chasing down the money. Denver had the most to spend of all the teams. Teams that cut corners in their building philosophy never succeed, and this is no different.  Manning is a guy who only had 1 coordinator, 1 Center, the same group of WRs and TEs, essentially his entire career and played half his games in a cushy dome. Has Manning ever beat Crennel and the Pats? That's 2 losses per year for Denver now in the division.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Good point about Crennel being in that division. He's always given Manning a hard time.

You know what other team has given him a hard time? San Diego.

Manning and the Colts were 1-5, including 0-2 in the playoffs, against San Diego from 2005 thru 2010.

I think Manning quickly will find out that this ain't the old AFC South, a division where if Fisher and Tennessee didn't have a good team, the Colts could usually count on a 5-1 division record, at minimum, every season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I completely agree. Look at their schedule, too. 

On the road is brutal. They could get swept on the road. The easiest team is Carolina or Oakland.

That's 7 or 8 losses right there.  Crennel and KC are probably licking their chops right now. I bet they split with SD and Oak and KC sweeps them.

They also get NOs, Houston and Pitt at home. lol  Andas if TB won't be vastly improved? Rookie coach, sure, but they're no joke. They're loaded with young talent and still cash to spend.

DENVER BRONCOS 2012 SCHEDULE
    Dates to be announced
    Home Games Away Games
    KC Kansas City Chiefs (7-9)
    OAK Oakland Raiders (8-8)
    SD San Diego Chargers (8-8)
    CLE Cleveland Browns (4-12)
    PIT Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)
    HOU Houston Texans (10-6)
    NO New Orleans Saints (13-3)
    TB Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
    KC Kansas City Chiefs (7-9)
    OAK Oakland Raiders (8-8)
    SD San Diego Chargers (8-8)
    BAL Baltimore Ravens (12-4)
    CIN Cincinnati Bengals (9-7)
    NE New England Patriots (13-3)
    ATL Atlanta Falcons (10-6)
    CAR Carolina Panthers (6-10)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

[QUOTE]I completely agree. Look at their schedule, too.  On the road is brutal. They could get swept on the road. The easiest team is Carolina or Oakland. That's 7 or 8 losses right there.  Crennel and KC are probably licking their chops right now. I bet they split with SD and Oak and KC sweeps them. They also get NOs, Houston and Pitt at home. lol  Andas if TB won't be vastly improved? Rookie coach, sure, but they're no joke. They're loaded with young talent and still cash to spend. DENVER BRONCOS 2012 SCHEDULE Dates to be announced Home Games Away Games Kansas City Chiefs (7-9) Oakland Raiders (8-8) San Diego Chargers (8-8) Cleveland Browns (4-12) Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4) Houston Texans (10-6) New Orleans Saints (13-3) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12) Kansas City Chiefs (7-9) Oakland Raiders (8-8) San Diego Chargers (8-8) Baltimore Ravens (12-4) Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) New England Patriots (13-3) Atlanta Falcons (10-6) Carolina Panthers (6-10)
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

That road schedule looks pretty daunting.

Several games against playoff teams, plus an improving Carolina team.

Sections
Shortcuts