Manti Te'o GF death a hoax?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Manti Te'o GF death a hoax?

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

Maybe he got fooled by the "they can't put anything on the internet thats not true" trick, and thougt she was a French model...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

low,

no hes complicit in a lie. the question is was he fooled by his friend or complicitous with his friend who created the profile. the "death"of the girfriend, playing it up, repeateed that lie again and again on natl tv, are at teh least all teo lies. with the evidence so far unearthed, if it is at it appears, he was involved in creating the account. to what puirpose, unless his boddy tells all , may never be known.

to alleviate peer pressure to have a girlfirend?

to hide being gay?

or the most likely, something to do with fame (ie a better story)? 

Hmmmmm...you just might be onto something here, bru.

All-world jock linebacker, no girlfriend on campus, creates fictitious "fiancee" who is just ohhhh sooooo loving and caring, but lives in Cali...but then...OMG, HEARTBREAK!, the love of my life has leukemia!...can't introduce her to anyone on the team...gasp...she's gone!

Cry on national TV, get the country's sympathy, a few Heisman votes...avoid having to come out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Well now some Cardinals fullback said she was real. Confusing!

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/16/lennay-kekua-manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend-was-real-says-arizona-cardinals-fullback-reagan-mauia-who-claims-to-have-met-her/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

[QUOTE]

Maybe he got fooled by the "they can't put anything on the internet thats not true" trick, and thougt she was a French model...

low,

no hes complicit in a lie. the question is was he fooled by his friend or complicitous with his friend who created the profile. the "death"of the girfriend, playing it up, repeateed that lie again and again on natl tv, are at teh least all teo lies. with the evidence so far unearthed, if it is at it appears, he was involved in creating the account. to what puirpose, unless his boddy tells all , may never be known.

to hide being gay?

Hmmmmm...you just might be onto something here, bru.

All-world jock linebacker, no girlfriend on campus, creates fictitious "fiancee" who is just ohhhh sooooo loving and caring, but lives in Cali...but then...OMG, HEARTBREAK!, the love of my life has leukemia!...can't introduce her to anyone on the team...gasp...she's gone!

Cry on national TV, get the country's sympathy, a few Heisman votes...avoid having to come out.

all plausible.

dont forget she "survived" a near fatal car crash before succumbing to leukemia

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Wow! This is getting interesting!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know what I'm not sure if I don't believe that Te'o believed it was real but some hoax that grew it's own legs and took over. Listen most football players aren't the brightest people in the world to begin with so do I believe this could have happened without Te'o figuring it out, yep. Do these type of relationships actually happen, yep all the time (there is a whole show about it called Catfish!). Appearently the story is that they actually had a girl calling and talking with him, possible even meeting up with him.

Now a number of things could have happened but I think it comes down to three things:

1) He was part of the hoax from the beginning

2) He was the victum of a very elabrate hoax, which in this reality MTV/Jackass/Catfish era happens to more people than you realise. At some point he figured it out but was so embarrashed that he might have thought the only way to maintain face is to kill the fake girl off. Word gets out and it grows legs and takes on a life of it's own and Te'o can't stop it at that point. At that point he has to keep it going and hopes the story dies or admit he was hoaxed and lied (not the best option)

3) He was completely fooled up to the end and was just that guilable

Frankly I think the truth is closer to option 2 because people can be just that cruel

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Why does anyone care? Did he get money for his dead girlfriend? No? Then why do I care? So he made up a fake girlfriend to inspire his team, it's America! He can do as he pleases!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

low,

to hide being gay?

Well I was only +1ing because I thought it was very funny not that I thought he really got caught by the everything is real on the internet thing lol

...but thanks for looking out for me in case I was that gullable :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Phone Post

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Phone Post

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I don't know what's going on with this, this is very bizzare.

Anyone see the TV show catfish?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You know what I'm not sure if I don't believe that Te'o believed it was real but some hoax that grew it's own legs and took over. Listen most football players aren't the brightest people in the world to begin with so do I believe this could have happened without Te'o figuring it out, yep. Do these type of relationships actually happen, yep all the time (there is a whole show about it called Catfish!). Appearently the story is that they actually had a girl calling and talking with him, possible even meeting up with him.

Now a number of things could have happened but I think it comes down to three things:

1) He was part of the hoax from the beginning

2) He was the victum of a very elabrate hoax, which in this reality MTV/Jackass/Catfish era happens to more people than you realise. At some point he figured it out but was so embarrashed that he might have thought the only way to maintain face is to kill the fake girl off. Word gets out and it grows legs and takes on a life of it's own and Te'o can't stop it at that point. At that point he has to keep it going and hopes the story dies or admit he was hoaxed and lied (not the best option)

3) He was completely fooled up to the end and was just that guilable

Frankly I think the truth is closer to option 2 because people can be just that cruel

Option 2 seems the most plausible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Why does anyone care? Did he get money for his dead girlfriend? No? Then why do I care? So he made up a fake girlfriend to inspire his team, it's America! He can do as he pleases!

Why? He became a national story throughout the college football season. There were a ton of stories and and iterviews written about him.

A lot of people felt this gave steam to his heisman candidacy. Without this occuring, most people probably wouldn't even know who Manti Te'o is.

Maybe more importantly, he became a national figure of "inspiration". People were inspired by his ability to cope with the loss of his grandmother and girlfriend and it captivated a lot of people. Now it turns out it was a lie and people want explanations. 

It's not like he's done anything illegal. At least not that I know of. But he let a ton of people down and they want answers. And from what I can tell, a lot of other people want answers.

Truly one of the most bizarre stories I've ever heard. You can't make this stuff up! (pun intended)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

i thought stephen a smith did a good job simplifying the situation. te'o smoke of this woman as the love of his life, he had a 3 year relationship with her, he said he talked on the phone with her every single night for the last 4 months of her life. she had a serious car accident, he never went to see her. she was diagnosed with leukemia, he never went to see her. she passed away, he didn't go to the funeral. never skyped with her, never saw her in person. but she was the love of his life? either he is a very sad individual or he was in on it. IMO.

any human in that situation would have done anything possible to get out and see the love of their life before they passed away forever. doesn't add up.

I'm really interested to hear what he has to say.

Notre Dame has put its eggs in his basket.

Anonymous players have said that it was a lie that the media blew up.

A once proud athletic department now has this to go along with the rap.e case a few years back. Things are not looking good for the Irish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Phone Post

Great stuff TFB12!

"These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead."  - Seth Meyers

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

ND was a ficticious #1 and their All-Everything LB had a ficticious girlfriend to go with the ficticious tackling skills as illustrated against Alabama...

A seems perfectly clear to me...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

It wouldn't surprise me if it eventually comes to light that Manti is gay. Than, this whole story makes sense, from his standpoint. It would give him cover for not dating, and for not having a girlfriend. It also would win him sympathy votes for the Heisman, and might even serve to help the cause towards raising both awareness and money in the fight against leukemia.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

Phone Post

Great stuff TFB12!

"These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead."  - Seth Meyers

That is hilarious!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Seems to me when somebody dies a death Certificate is generated for legal reasons....would be simple enough to produce one if it actually occured...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

LOL! That's good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Seems to me when somebody dies a death Certificate is generated for legal reasons....would be simple enough to produce one if it actually occured...

Who actually asks for one though? Other then relatives, IRS, and airlines

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

How does the media ALWAYS get a free pass with this stuff? Not one reporter writing the story tried to do any really digging into it back when it all was being reported? (The imaginary death I mean)

There was some ESPN link with just an audio interview with the guy for ESPN that did the Manti story piece and he states in it that he searched for the obit but there was none which promted him to ask Manti, in the interview for the piece, if he could contact the family or have a photo of the girl for the story and Manti quickly said no to everything and that it was a private matter.

He then goes on to say something similar to oh well in hindsight I guess it all does seem a little fishy but I never checked into anything.

If that is not a "Come on, man" or "do your homework" moment I don't know what is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

How does the media ALWAYS get a free pass with this stuff? Not one reporter writing the story tried to do any really digging into it back when it all was being reported? (The imaginary death I mean)

There was some ESPN link with just an audio interview with the guy for ESPN that did the Manti story piece and he states in it that he searched for the obit but there was none which promted him to ask Manti, in the interview for the piece, if he could contact the family or have a photo of the girl for the story and Manti quickly said no to everything and that it was a private matter.

He then goes on to say something similar to oh well in hindsight I guess it all does seem a little fishy but I never checked into anything.

If that is not a "Come on, man" or "do your homework" moment I don't know what is.

Journalism died in the late 90's.  That death was real.  People sometimes get nostalgic for its return but the proliferation of reality TV shows, etc. is an indication of the collective interest levels.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Whats the guy supposed to say??? I made it all up hoping to get a few sympathy votes for the Heisman? Which would be the truth....LOL

Sections
Shortcuts