March 23, 2014: NFL MOCK DRAFT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

March 23, 2014: NFL MOCK DRAFT

With the draft approximately six weeks away, and all of the big free agency moves having been made, this seems like a good time to take a stab at how the draft will pan out. I do mocks every year in order to familiarize myself with the draft prospects, and to get an idea as to who will be available for the Patriots at pick #29. Here goes:

1.) Houston Texans: QB Blake Bortels, Univ. Central Florida: Though I'm not sure that any QB in this draft class is worthy of being a top 5 pick, Bortels appears to be the best of the lot. Though very raw, he has the prototype physical size and skills to develop into a "franchise QB". Houston's recent trade of Matt Schaub and acquisitioin of bridge QB Ryan Fitzpatrick seems to lend credence that Bill O'Brien will pass on DE Jadeveon Clowney or OT Greg Robinson in favor of Bortels:  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/why-trading-schaub--signing-fitzpatrick-means-texans-thinking-qb-first-overall-152333445.html;

2.) Minnesota Vikings (from St. Louis Rams): DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina: The Washington Redskins are the gift that keeps on giving for the Rams, who are on their way to becoming an NFL powerhouse. St. Louis wants to trade down, and somebody will deal with them. Though Falcon's boss Thomas Dimitroff has a history of trading up to acquire a player he sees as having unique skills, the Falcons have too many other needs, particularly on the OL. The Raiders could move up, but they signed a bunch of veteran pass-rushers, and are paying QB Matt Schaub $14mil. to start for them. Minnesota will lose DE Jared Allen through free agency, and will look to replace him. QB Teddy Bridgewater's poor pro-day performance raised red flags...so Clowney, who has the physical skills to develop into the premier pass-rusher, will be the target. The Vikings will part with their first (8th overall) second (40th overall) and 4th rounder this year, and 1st round pick in 2015, to swing the deal.

3.) Jacksonville Jaguars: DE/OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo: Perhaps I'm giving the Jags too much credit, in seeing through the fraud that is QB Teddy Bridgewater. But, the Blaine Gabbert experience may have taught them something. Some "experts" see Mack as nearly as good a pass-rushing prospect as Clowney;

4.) Cleveland Browns: WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson: Perhaps I'm giving the Browns too much credit  in seeing through Bridgewater, too. But, my guess is that Cleveland will give home-town boy Brian Hoyer a shot at being The Man. Adding Watkins to a receiving corp which already boasts TE Jordam Cameron and WR Josh Gordon is a frightening arsenal of aerial weapons;

5.) Oakland Raiders: OT Greg Robinson, Auburn: Many "experts" feel that Robinson is the best available prospect in this draft class. The Raiders badly need a LT, especially with a statue like Matt Schaub playing QB;

6.) Atlanta Falcons: OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M: Matt Ryan badly needs a bodyguard;

7.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA: Lovie Smith adds a pass-rusher to his new look defense;

8.) St. Louis Rams: OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan: Jumbo Elliot-sized tackle, whose skills fit what Jeff Fisher likes to do on offense;

9.) Buffalo Bills: WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M: The Bills need to add a quality receiver to take some of the pressure off Stevie Johnson. At 6-5" and fast, Evans could serve as both a deep threat, and as a redzone threat;

10.) Detroit Lions: CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State: Good sized CB (6'0", 200lb.), and one of the best athletes available in the draft. Had seven picks for the Cowboys, and returned two for TDs. Also has skills as a KR;

11.) Tennessee Titans: QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville: Well...somebody has got to take him. The Titans should know better, after the Jake Locker experience. But, Tennessee released veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, leaving the injury prone, usually ineffective Locker as the starter;

12.) New York Giants: TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina: Though the G-men have a ton of needs on the OL and DL, they have nothing at TE, and see Ebron as a rare talent;

13.) St. Louis Rams: FS HaSean Clinton-Dix, Alabama: The Rams badly need to upgrade from FS Rodney McLeod;

14.) Chicago Bears: DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh: The Bears lost DT Henry Melton and DE Julius Peppers through free agency. Their DL must be addressed;

15.) Pittsburgh Steelers: FS/SS Calvin Pryor, Louisville: Steelers tab safety to replace Ryan Clark;

16.) Dallas Cowboys: DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State: Should be their pick at this point. But, with Jerrah Jones in charge, who knows!

17.) Baltimore Ravens: OT Zach Martin, Notre Dame: Ravens need a RT after losing the inconsistent Michael Oher through free agency;

18.) New York Jets: CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State: The failure of Jets GM John Idzig to land a decent CB through free agency results in the Jests having to spend their top pick to shore up the position;

19.) Miami Dolphins: OT/OG Xavier Su'a-filo, UCLA: With all four of the top OTs gone, this is a tough pick to make. Tough, nasty interior lineman, who appears to be better suited to play guard than tackle;

20.) Arizona Cardinals: DE/OLB Kony Ealy, Missouri: Pass-rusher who appears to have the athleticism to play either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB;

21.) Green Bay Packers: DE/DT Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota: Has the physical tools teams look for in a defensive lineman. Boom or bust type player;

22.) Philadelphia Eagles: WR Marqise Lee, USC: My guess is that Philly is serious about unloading DeSean Jackson and his $10.5mil. contract;

23.) Kansas City Chiefs: WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State: The 6'5", 235 pound Benjamin should be an enticing target for QB Alex Smith; 

24.) Cincinnati Bengals: CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State: Bengals need to get younger in the secondary. Roby has world class speed;

25.) San Diego Chargers: DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame: Chargers grab huge NT in Nix to anchor their 3-4 defense;

26.) Cleveland Browns: QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M: Browns are thrilled that Manziel dropped into their laps at #26;

27.) New Orleans Saints: DE/OLB Dee Ford, Auburn: Saints add a pass-rush toy for DC Rob Ryan to play with;

28.) Carolina Panthers: WR Odell Beckham, LSU: The Panthers must rebuild their receiving corps;

29.) New England Patriots: LB C.J. Mosely, Alabama: I had initially penciled in huge DE/DT Stephen Tuitt of Notre Dame, who could have been just what the Patriots needed to fortify their DL. But, I've just learned from another poster (mthurl) below that Tuitt had recently suffered a stress fracture, forcing him to don the dreaded walking boot. But, from what I've read, who knows how long the injury will take to heal...if it in fact does heal:  http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap2000000328559/article/notre-dames-stephon-tuitt-not-cleared-for-combine; and http://www.statesman.com/feed/sports/2014-nfl-draft-stephon-tuitts-foot-fracture/fYP9t/

So, I'll go with an alternative to Tuitt here, in LB Mosely. After losing Brandon Spikes and Dane Fletcher through free agency, the Pats might add Mosely him to shore up their linebacking corp. Other possible choices include OG David Yankey of Stanford, WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State, or a TE, such as Austin Seferian-Jenkins, from the University of Washington;

30.) San Francisco 49ers: WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State: Quick, fast, and tough. A homerun hitter in the DeSean Jackson mold;   

31.) Denver Broncos: OG David Yankey, Stanford: The Broncos replace the departed Zane Beadles with the top rated OG in the draft;

32.) Seattle Seahawks: OT Morgan Moses, Virginia: Seahawks add size and depth on their OL.  

So ends my first 2014 mock draft. It appears that the Patriots will be able to land a good player at #29. There's also a good possibility that BB will trade down, much as he did last year.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome. Have a great day!        

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Re: March 23, 2014: NFL MOCK DRAFT

This is my Pats mock draft.

Round 1 -Ryan Shazier - LB, Ohio State

Round 2- Deone Bucannon  -SS  Washington State

Round 3- C.J. Fiedeorowicz- TE Iowa

Round 4 - Kelcy Quarles - DT South Carolina (Ben Coates nephew)

Round 6 - Connor Shaw- QB South Carolina

Round 7 - Michael Schofield- OT Michigan

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I predict a trade down by BB. I know, when does that ever happen? If say Oakland (or someone else) likes Carr... I also see Manziel doing a Brady Quinn-like free fall. Would you risk your employment on him? 

Question for all the draftniks, why is the receiver Moncrief not higher rated? He looks like Anquan Boldin 2.0, except faster. 6'2 220, 4.40, great hands. I think Boldin ran a 4.7. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tuitt does make too much sense if he's still available.  He has everything that BB covets in his DL players.

Mosley would also be huge value if he made it to 29... the leadership, instincts and pedigree are there in spades.

I also love GT OLB/DE Jeremiah Attaochu in this spot.  They need to add edge rush talent/depth and this is the strength of his game.  

On the offensive side of the, Cooks has the prototype skill set for a BB WR... high level speed, COD and quicks that can create after the catch.

Along the OL, I like Joel Bitonio as a potential Mankins like prospect that could work his way into Rd 1.  Very underrated, IMO, with the ability to play G or T.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I predict a trade down by BB. I know, when does that ever happen? If say Oakland (or someone else) likes Carr... I also see Manziel doing a Brady Quinn-like free fall. Would you risk your employment on him? 

Question for all the draftniks, why is the receiver Moncrief not higher rated? He looks like Anquan Boldin 2.0, except faster. 6'2 220, 4.40, great hands. I think Boldin ran a 4.7. 

[/QUOTE]

There's a ton of WR talent/depth in this class, but I think you could see Moncrief work his way into Rd 2, but he shouldn't get out've Rd 3.  He can look a bit lazy/sloppy at times, but is big with speed and big play ability and that combo is a premium at the NFL level.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

[QUOTE] 

There's a ton of WR talent/depth in this class, but I think you could see Moncrief work his way into Rd 2, but he shouldn't get out've Rd 3.  He can look a bit lazy/sloppy at times, but is big with speed and big play ability and that combo is a premium at the NFL level.

[QUOTE]

Thanks. There do seem to be a number of physical specimens at WR this year. Some nice TEs also. Trade down makes a lot of sense this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Thanks. There do seem to be a number of physical specimens at WR this year. Some nice TEs also. Trade down makes a lot of sense this year. 

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing...that BB would trade down with a team that wanted Carr, or some other player. This is supposedly one of the deepest drafts in years. It would therefore make sense to trade down, should the opportunity to do so present itself.

But, if I did that, I'd have to continue my mock into the second round to see who would then be available to the Patriots. Since composing the first round mock took several hours, I didn't feel up to contributing several more hours to do a round two...LOL!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is really the question of this draft.  Will the excess WR talent puch up in the 1st Rd and push other positions down.  Some have been saying 8 WRs could get drafted maybe 9!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think the texans take clowney. Obrien can wait till next year to grab a qb. Clowney is too good to pass on. Even with the shut down talk not many guys like this come very often. Texans won't pick #1 next year so here's their chance. I also don't see the rams as becoming a powerhouse but that's my opinion. I'm not big on Bradford  IMO he's brittle and won't last the season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like Stephon Tuitt, but this kid had foot sugery last week for a stress fracture on his foot - he's in a walking boot right now - now of course his camp is saying he will be ready for mini camp, but everyone knows what stress fractures mean. A guy who weighs 300 pounds and is recovering from a stress fracture could mean you won't have this guy for a year.

I don't think this guy goes in the first round because of this.

When healthy I think this is a pretty good player we are talking about, he takes on double teams all day. He moves well for a big guy. He looks like he can play the 34 end spot for us - I think of Kyle Love, but much better. He doesn't keep his shoulders square to the line when running/getting blocked on the edge, but I imagine that will change with good coaching. He has the tools for sure. He is powerful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Stephon Tuitt, but this kid had foot sugery last week for a stress fracture on his foot - he's in a walking boot right now - now of course his camp is saying he will be ready for mini camp, but everyone knows what stress fractures mean. A guy who weighs 300 pounds and is recovering from a stress fracture could mean you won't have this guy for a year.

When healthy I think this is a pretty good player we are talking about, he takes on double teams all day. He moves well for a big guy. He looks like he can play the 34 end spot for us - I think of Kyle Love, but much better. He doesn't keep his shoulders square to the line when running/getting blocked on the edge, but I imagine that will change with good coaching. He has the tools for sure. He is powerful.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.! Didn't know that. This changes everything regarding the Pats' choice at #29. Now Domique Easley needs to be considered, though he tore his mcl and acl in September of 2013 during practice. The Pats pick will probably be C. J. Mosley, though I'm hearing that his stock is plummeting, or perhaps DE Trent Murphy of Stanford, WR Brandin Cooks, or LB Ryan Shazier of Ohio State.

Excuse me while I adjust my mock, due to this new information...LOL!!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tuitt appears to be too big a risk: http://www.statesman.com/feed/sports/2014-nfl-draft-stephon-tuitts-foot-fracture/fYP9t/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

TP, have you heard anything about Minn. wanting to move up to #2? That's about the only pick I have any issue with....Then again, I hate Clowney as a player, to much "potential" not enough proof on film as far as I'm concerned...plus this is a guy who strikes me as somone who wants to play in a much warmer climate than Minn......he's already enough of a head case and I'm having difficulty imagining this being a good match for a team with a legitimate need to rebuild their DL with an inconsistent, albeit talented, guy when they could get someone far more reliable for far less in draft capital.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Good draft Texas Pat.  Very little to argue with.  

Without Tuitt there I have the Pats finding a way out of the 1st round.  Deep draft and like others have said it only makes sense.  Now how far does Tuitt drop because this kid can play.  I'd hate to see the Pats lose him.   I would hate to see the Pats get too deep in the 2nd round.  Let's hope one of those QB needy teams come to the rescue.

Bortles was always my #1 QB off the charts.  Big upside.  Also, Mack has gotten a lot of attention but I wonder if it is a bit much.  We'll see.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TP, have you heard anything about Minn. wanting to move up to #2? That's about the only pick I have any issue with....Then again, I hate Clowney as a player, to much "potential" not enough proof on film as far as I'm concerned...plus this is a guy who strikes me as somone who wants to play in a much warmer climate than Minn......he's already enough of a head case and I'm having difficulty imagining this being a good match for a team with a legitimate need to rebuild their DL with an inconsistent, albeit talented, guy when they could get someone far more reliable for far less in draft capital.

[/QUOTE]

Just a guess on my part that the Vikings aren't too thrilled about Teddy Bridgewater or Manziel. They resigned Matt Cassel...and I'm sure Cassel didn't go back to Minnesota with the understanding that he was going to be a back-up.

Playing in the NFC North, the Vikings face three pretty good QBs in Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, and Matthew Stafford. They're going to need to get pressure on those guys if they hope to win their division. With Jared Allen gone, they might want to replace him with the best pass-rushing prospect in the draft, Jadeveon Clowney. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

That foot injury makes Tuitt a huge gamble to take in Round One. No team can afford to waste a first round pick on a guy who may never be ready to play.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You hate Clowney as a player? I think he's pretty damn good, I mean this is a planet person we are talking about here. He may of had a down year (by his standards), but this guy looks like a sure thing to me.

I haven't watched a lot of his tape from this year because I figure what's the point? He will be long gone by the time we pick. Did he really play that bad this year? He was totally unblockable the year prior.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.! Didn't know that. This changes everything regarding the Pats' choice at #29. Now Domique Easley needs to be considered, though he tore his mcl and acl in September of 2013 during practice. The Pats pick will probably be C. J. Mosley, though I'm hearing that his stock is plummeting, or perhaps DE Trent Murphy of Stanford, WR Brandin Cooks, or LB Ryan Shazier of Ohio State.

Excuse me while I adjust my mock, due to this new information...LOL!!  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's too bad, where do you think he'll be drafted now? I'm thinking third round, because although he looks like a good player, he's not elite either. In fact he may go lower than that in my opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Yeah it's too bad, where do you think he'll be drafted now? I'm thinking third round, because although he looks like a good player, he's not elite either. In fact he may go lower than that in my opinion.

Silly to even hazard a guess without having full access to his medical records, and consulting with top notch specialists.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Thanks TP for another good post

i sure hope the pats don't take a big man with foot probless very high, Lopez the nets center, and going way back yo Bill Walton, the prognostications are too iffy

to me it's still dline, Oline, lb depth, te in about that order. As to the draft implications the FA still might fill some gaps.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You hate Clowney as a player? I think he's pretty damn good, I mean this is a planet person we are talking about here. He may of had a down year (by his standards), but this guy looks like a sure thing to me.

I haven't watched a lot of his tape from this year because I figure what's the point? He will be long gone by the time we pick. Did he really play that bad this year? He was totally unblockable the year prior.

[/QUOTE]

He turns it on and off ands isn't a real workout guy...99% of him is simply him, natural ability and strength...imagine what he'd be like if he actually got his head into the game and did the work it takes to be great...if he had 1/2 of the work ethic of a Gronkowski or Suh he'd be the best of all time...but he doesn't..even his coach says so....so no, I wouldn't take the chance he ends up like Mario Williams, a "decent" player who really isn't worth even a top 5 pick...once he gets the big money, I just hope he doesn't pull a "Haynesworth" and gets motivated during his contract year, then disappears again after that final big payday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just a guess on my part that the Vikings aren't too thrilled about Teddy Bridgewater or Manziel. They resigned Matt Cassel...and I'm sure Cassel didn't go back to Minnesota with the understanding that he was going to be a back-up.

Playing in the NFC North, the Vikings face three pretty good QBs in Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, and Matthew Stafford. They're going to need to get pressure on those guys if they hope to win their division. With Jared Allen gone, they might want to replace him with the best pass-rushing prospect in the draft, Jadeveon Clowney. 

[/QUOTE]

You are right about Bridgewater and Manziel....just I have misgivings about Clowney...

If Tuitt has a foot issue, then heck no...we got one already (Dobson) and they are trickier than knees at this point...sometimes feet stress fractures take years to heal and are never the same.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

You are right about Bridgewater and Manziel....just I have misgivings about Clowney...

If Tuitt has a foot issue, then heck no...we got one already (Dobson) and they are trickier than knees at this point...sometimes feet stress fractures take years to heal and are never the same.

[/QUOTE]

Tough break for Tuitt. I agree...foot stress fractures are serious sports injuries.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Patriots have eight (8) picks in the upcoming draft: the 29th, 62nd, 93rd, 130th, 140th (comp. pick), 198th (from Philly), 206th, and 244th overall selections: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/03/with_compensatory_picks_in_patriots_draft_selectio.html?camp=rss:patriots&dlvrit=834382

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

This team has to be one of the slowest teams in the NFL in the Wideout position. Very good Tackling and Defensive teams just pack it in on us. There is not one guy on this team that scares a CB, so much that he requires Safety help, on a consistent basis. So lets keep Drafting TE's early.
    You need a Homerun hitter in the NFL. Just to spread the field. Then the underneath stuff works better.