March 23, 2014: NFL MOCK DRAFT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: March 23, 2014: NFL MOCK DRAFT

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

This team has to be one of the slowest teams in the NFL in the Wideout position. Very good Tackling and Defensive teams just pack it in on us. There is not one guy on this team that scares a CB, so much that he requires Safety help, on a consistent basis. So lets keep Drafting TE's early.
    You need a Homerun hitter in the NFL. Just to spread the field. Then the underneath stuff works better.

I beg to differ. Who did the Patriots have playing WR for them in their championship years that was a "homerun hitter"? Deion Branch? Troy Brown?? David Givens??? If the Pats want to win another title, they must vastly improve their OL and DL.

Their OC and RG last year were terrible...and their RT fair at best. On defene. the Pats still can't rush the pasher...and need to replace the aging Vince Wilfolk with a tud DT, who can shut down the run, as well as collapse the pass pocket.

The Pats didn't lose to Denver because of their receivers or QB. They lost because they couldn't run the ball, because they couldn't budge that lard butt NT, Terrence Knighton. They also lost because they couldn't apply any pressure to the Picasso of Choke Artists...who had all day to throw,   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

This team has to be one of the slowest teams in the NFL in the Wideout position. Very good Tackling and Defensive teams just pack it in on us. There is not one guy on this team that scares a CB, so much that he requires Safety help, on a consistent basis. So lets keep Drafting TE's early.
    You need a Homerun hitter in the NFL. Just to spread the field. Then the underneath stuff works better.

The Pats didn't lose to Denver because of their receivers or QB. They lost because they couldn't run the ball, because they couldn't budge that lard butt NT, Terrence Knighton. They also lost because they couldn't apply any pressure to the Picasso of Choke Artists...who had all day to throw,   

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I beg to differ. Who did the Patriots have playing WR for them in their championship years that was a "homerun hitter"? Deion Branch? Troy Brown?? David Givens??? If the Pats want to win another title, they must vastly improve their OL and DL.

Their OC and RG last year were terrible...and their RT fair at best. On defene. the Pats still can't rush the pasher...and need to replace the aging Vince Wilfolk with a tud DT, who can shut down the run, as well as collapse the pass pocket.

As exciting the offseason has been so far, the Pats has not done much to address either side of the line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

As exciting the offseason has been so far, the Pats has not done much to address either side of the line.

Amen. They won't beat Denver unless they do. I look for them to use the draft for this purpose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

This is my Pats mock draft.

Round 1 -Ryan Shazier - LB, Ohio State

Round 2- Deone Bucannon  -SS  Washington State

Round 3- C.J. Fiedeorowicz- TE Iowa

Round 4 - Kelcy Quarles - DT South Carolina (Ben Coates nephew)

Round 6 - Connor Shaw- QB South Carolina

Round 7 - Michael Schofield- OT Michigan

Now you can add two more names as the Patriots were awarded an additional 4rth round pick and they have two 6 th rounders not just one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

This is my Pats mock draft. 

Round 1 -Ryan Shazier - LB, Ohio State

RESPONSE: Shazier is an intriguing prospect. He played DE in high school, and was switched to a OLB in college. Small by BB standards for a LB (6'1", 232 lb.), but the kid is fast!  With the passing attack so in vogue, BB might be willing to get away from his huge LB blueprint, and draft a guy with speed and pass-rushing ability like Shazier. Having played for BB buddy Irvin Meyer should help Shazier's cause in being considered as the Patriot's #1 pick.  Shazier was Ohio State's best defender.

Round 2- Deone Bucannon  -SS  Washington State

RESPONSE: Tough,big, hard hitting SS...but will most likely be gone by the time the Pats choose at #62;

Round 3- C.J. Fiedeorowicz- TE Iowa

RESPONSE: A possibility, I suppose. But would rather see the Pats go OL, DL, or draft a top RB, who may have slipped. 

Round 4 - Kelcy Quarles - DT South Carolina (Ben Coates nephew)

RESPONSE: Best player available time;

Round 6 - Connor Shaw- QB South Carolina

RESPONSE: Never cared for Steve Spurrier manufactured QBs.

Round 7 - Michael Schofield- OT Michigan

RESPONSE: Huge RT...but a much better run blocker than pass-blocker.

Now you can add two more names as the Patriots were awarded an additional 4rth round pick and they have two 6 th rounders not just one.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Can Johnny Maziel follow in the footsteps of Fran Tarkenton and Russell Wilson, and become a good-great NFL QB? Here's an article from the Denver Post that answers this question with a resounding, NO!: http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_25450219/johnny-be-good-pro-qb-if-youre-manziel

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

1 DT Hageman

2 C Richburg

3 TE Fiedorowicz

4 ILB Jones

4 OLB Hubbard

6 DE Lynch

6 TE Rodgers

7 QB Savage

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

My Updated mock:

Round 1 - Kelvin Benjamin - WR Florida State

Round 2 - Trent Murphy - DE Stanford

Round 3 - C.J Fiedeorowicz - TE Iowa State 

Round 4 - Seantrel Henderson - OT Miami 

Round 4 - Kelcy Quarles - DT South Carolina 

Round 6 - Connor Shaw - QB South Carolina 

Round 7 - Jerick McKinnon - RB Georgia Southern 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

My Updated mock:

Round 1 - Kelvin Benjamin - WR Florida State

RESPONSE: With pressing needs for a pass-rusher, as well as on the DL and OL, taking a WR at #29 would be a mistake. Though Benjamin has terrific size, it has been demonstated that championships can be won without a stud WR: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/moss-shocker-chff-shiny-hood-ornament-theory/7577/

Round 2 - Trent Murphy - DE Stanford

RESPONSE: I really like this kid. But, I doubt that he'll still be available by pick #62. He's 6'6", and weighs around 265. He's a bit of a tweener, in that he's probably not fast enough to drop into coverage as an OLB. But, add some weight-room muscle on this country strong kid, and you may have something as a 4-3 DE.  

Round 3 - C.J Fiedeorowicz - TE Iowa State 

RESPONSE: Seemingly everybody has the Pats taking this kid in round three...which is one of the reasons why I doubt that it will happen. I'd rather see the Pats grab a lineman, SS, RB, or WR here. Just please BB, don't take another SS that is projected to be either a late round pick or an undrafted free agent, by your own Pats scouting department.       

Round 4 - Seantrel Henderson - OT Miami 

RESPONSE: Take the best player available at a position of need...or perhaps a QB here; 

Round 4 - Kelcy Quarles - DT South Carolina 

RESPONSE: Take the best player available at a position of need...or perhaps a QB here;  

Round 6 - Connor Shaw - QB South Carolina 

RESPONSE: I'd be leery about taking a Steve Spurrier trained QB.  

Round 7 - Jerick McKinnon - RB Georgia Southern 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

1 DT Hageman

RESPONSE: Seems that every "expert" is making this prediction. Frankly, I'd rather have Tuitt, if healthy, who is a more versatile defensive lineman, in the Richard Seymour mold. Hageman has terrific physical attributes, but is very raw, and was a rotational guy only at the University of Minnesota. Frankly, I don't see any way that BB stays at #29. He's going to trade down. He'll likely try to get a high second rounder,  3rd rounder, and a 5th rounder...in return from some QB hungry team.

2 C Richburg

RESPONSE: Not a bad choice for late in round 2.  USC center Marcus Martin is probably the best center prospect in the draft...but probably will be gone by the time the Pats pick at #62.

3 TE Fiedorowicz

RESPONSE: I don't like this pick. A RB or front seven defender would likely have a more immediate impact on the team than Fiedorowicz, who is a blocking TE. His receiving skills are underdeveloped, and raw. Taking him here is a round or two too high. A RB is necessary because BB, for some strange reason, let LeGarrette Blount get away. Really...if he decided to shell out $2mil. this season to Blount, the Pats wouldn't have a need at RB, and could go OL, DE/LB, DT, or WR here. They still may. Keep an eye on OGs John Urschel from Penn State, Gabe Jackson from Mississippi State, DE Cassius Marsh from UCLA, DT DeQuan Jones of Penn State, WR Damien Copeland of Louisville, and RB Tyler Gaffney of Stanford.

4 ILB Jones

RESPONSE: Not a bad selection at this point.

4 OLB Hubbard 

RESPONSE: Again...not a bad choice at this stage. Also a good spot to take a flier on a developmental QB like Tom Savage, if he's still around.

6 DE Lynch

RESPONSE: I don't like Lynch. Safety Dontae Johnson of NC State, or potential LB convert, Michael Sam of Missouri, TE Arthur Lynch of Georgia, OC Tytler Larson of Utah State, or WR Corey Brown of Ohio State.

6 TE Rodgers

RESPONSE: If you insist. I not thrilled by the TEs available in this draft.

7 QB Savage

RESPONSE: It would be great if Savage was still around. But, he'll be long gone before round 7.

In any event, it's fun to speculate. But, by now, it's getting a bit old. I will be updating my original mock draft over the weekend. Goodnight all! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Given the players available for the Pats, I would have them select Cooks.  The WR corps in NE is shyte, and Cooks is the next Reggie Wayne IMHO.  Just a great set of skills, and although he may not be eye-popping in any one area, he's got a fantastic all-round skill set.  TE can come later in the draft - I can't see passing up Cooks to add a lesser TE at this point...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to JulesWinfield's comment:

Given the players available for the Pats, I would have them select Cooks.  The WR corps in NE is shyte, and Cooks is the next Reggie Wayne IMHO.  Just a great set of skills, and although he may not be eye-popping in any one area, he's got a fantastic all-round skill set.  TE can come later in the draft - I can't see passing up Cooks to add a lesser TE at this point...

I doubt that Cooks will be available at #29. I look for him to go anywhere between #15-23. Besides, the Pats have greater needs than at WR. Who do you see Indy taking in Round 2? My guess is RB...where a guy with a high first round/low second round grade could be had, a WR (I believe Reggie Wayne turns 35 this year), or OL, since protecting Andrew Luck is Job 1. 

Sections
Shortcuts