Marcus Fortson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Marcus Fortson

we just signed this guy as an UDFA. he sounds like an interesting player to me. check out this article on him from National Football Post, which is a good resource. they saw him as a 2nd-3rd round pick who has the ability to outplay that ranking. not bad!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Marcus Fortson

In Response to Marcus Fortson:
    we just signed this guy as an UDFA. he sounds like an interesting player to me. check out this article on him from National Football Post, which is a good resource. they saw him as a 2nd-3rd round pick who has the ability to outplay that ranking. not bad! http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Miami-DT-Marcus-Forston-Declares-for-the-Draft-Where-does-he-stand.html
    Posted by artielang

Here's how ProFootball Weekly summarizes him: "Marcus Forston is a 6' 1", 309lb. junior out of "The U". "(He) displayed middle-round talent prior to suffering a knee injury, but weight-room strength does not translate to the field, where he disappears for stretches. Could have used more college seasoning, and knee injury could affect draft standing and easily push him to the late rounds."

From Mel Kiper:

21. Marcus Forston 6-1¼ 300 Miami (Fla) (S. 5.14) R. 6.5

Background: High School
    – Forston was a prep All-American at Northwestern HS in Miami, where he helped lead the team to the national title as a senior. In his final prep season, he tallied 92 tackles, 20 sacks, and seven forced fumbles. Freshman – Forston played in 12 games, starting against Florida, as a true freshman in 2008. He recorded 18 tackles as a rookie, with 4.5 going for loss and three of those being sacks. His best effort that year was a four-tackle performance at North Carolina State, which included two sacks. Sophomore – Forston played in three games in 2009 before suffering a season-ending injury. He was awarded a medical hardship for the season. 3rd Year Sophomore – In 2010, Forston played in every game, starting 12 times, and he was credited with 37 total tackles, 12 TFLs, three sacks, and an interception. He was in on four stops, with a sack, against Florida A&M; he had two TFLs and a sack among his career-best five tackles in the Georgia Tech game; and he had four tackles, with 2.5 going for negative yardage, vs. Virginia Tech. Junior – This past season, Forston was suspended for the opener and then played in three games before a knee injury sidelined him for the rest of the year. Before getting hurt, he was in on five tackles, including a sack, and he forced a fumble. The sack, the fumble, and two of the tackles came in the Kansas State game. Analysis: Forston is an interesting story because he is a real enigma coming into the draft. In 2010 he showed signs that he could take his game to the next level, but then he had the suspension, some lackluster play, and then the injury in 2011. When he was healthy and playing, he played well.

Forston is physically gifted and he flashed dynamic ability. You have to hope that he can get back to where he was and that the issues that prevented him from maximizing his ability at Miami are behind him. I think it’s shocking that he came out early. Another year in college to put it all together would have done Forston some good and he would have been looked on much more favorably as a possible early round pick. Now, however, he is just raw talent with a history of issues and injuries that you have to hope he can put behind him. *Combine Note: Ran a 5.10, did 35 reps, and had a 28" vertical jump.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This is a classic BB selection. 

A quick call to Dr. Love's miracle healing clinic indicates that this kid's knee could get worse, so very much worse, in the middle of August.  He'll have to go on IR or at least on the PUP list, poor guy.  Then next spring, or earlier if BB needs an extra DT in November, suddenly the miracle occurs and he's all better!  The extra year or the extra months gives the kid more time to get up to NFL speed.  After all, he's a project.  He bends well, but he gets too high in play and he flails his arms too much.  He needs coaching.

So, what BB really gets is a fair shot at an excellent defensive tackle, labeled "plus" by one analyst.  Love and Wright were both undrafted once, so why not somebody named Forston. 

No guarantees.  If he's really a health risk he could get kicked over the goal posts as early as next week.  That also happens a lot in Foxboro.  BB doesn't waste any training camp slots at all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

ron brace better hope fortson redshirts on IR this year. this draft, without any big DT's had to make brace feel a little better about his roster spot. but if this kid looks good in camp ron better "brace" himself for unemployment...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Marcus Fortson:
    we just signed this guy as an UDFA. he sounds like an interesting player to me. check out this article on him from National Football Post, which is a good resource. they saw him as a 2nd-3rd round pick who has the ability to outplay that ranking. not bad! http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Miami-DT-Marcus-Forston-Declares-for-the-Draft-Where-does-he-stand.html
    Posted by artielang

thanks... does look like there is some upside there!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm glad they got him, because really I think defensive line is a spot where we need depth and help. Right now as it stands we have Wilfork at nose, Deadric on one side and Fanani the other...what happens if one of these guys goes down or Fanani can't play like we hoped? We watched Ellis do nothing last year and Haynesworth as well. Mike Wright was in for one quater before he got his bell rung again. Myron Pryor played his usual 10 minutes before his season was over. Is Ron Brace even going to make it out of the first week of camp? For as big as Love is, he gets pushed back and turned rather consistently on running plays.

I was surprised we didn't draft somebody, hopefully we can uncover some hidden gems at that spot during this priority free agent period. Bill knows how to find guys that can play defensive line and he'll need to because I think we're a bit thin there right now. None of the linebackers we have or selected stand a chance if the big uglies up front can't hold their gaps.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Marcus Fortson:
    I'm glad they got him, because really I think defensive line is a spot where we need depth and help. Right now as it stands we have Wilfork at nose, Deadric on one side and Fanani the other...what happens if one of these guys goes down or Fanani can't play like we hoped? We watched Ellis do nothing last year and Haynesworth as well. Mike Wright was in for one quater before he got his bell rung again. Myron Pryor played his usual 10 minutes before his season was over. Is Ron Brace even going to make it out of the first week of camp? For as big as Love is, he gets pushed back and turned rather consistently on running plays. I was surprised we didn't draft somebody, hopefully we can uncover some hidden gems at that spot during this priority free agent period. Bill knows how to find guys that can play defensive line and he'll need to because I think we're a bit thin there right now. None of the linebackers we have or selected stand a chance if the big uglies up front can't hold their gaps.
    Posted by mthurl

"defensive line and he'll need to because I think we're a bit thin there right now. None of the linebackers we have or selected stand a chance if the big uglies up front can't hold their gaps. "

was my take too. we needed a dt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In Response to Re: Marcus Fortson:
    This is a classic BB selection.  A quick call to Dr. Love's miracle healing clinic indicates that this kid's knee could get worse, so very much worse, in the middle of August.  He'll have to go on IR or at least on the PUP list, poor guy.  Then next spring, or earlier if BB needs an extra DT in November, suddenly the miracle occurs and he's all better!  The extra year or the extra months gives the kid more time to get up to NFL speed.  After all, he's a project.  He bends well, but he gets too high in play and he flails his arms too much.  He needs coaching. So, what BB really gets is a fair shot at an excellent defensive tackle, labeled "plus" by one analyst.  Love and Wright were both undrafted once, so why not somebody named Forston.  No guarantees.  If he's really a health risk he could get kicked over the goal posts as early as next week.  That also happens a lot in Foxboro.  BB doesn't waste any training camp slots at all.
    Posted by Paul_K

HaHa! Great post, and so much truth to it. This kid looks like he could be a helluva find as an UDFA if we can get him focused and healthy. I was hoping to draft Chapman from 'Bama this year to take some of the load off of Big Vince in the upcoming years, but this kid could put on 15 lbs or so during his upcoming "redshirt" season and be just as good as Chapman, if not better. Like it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Glad to see BB pick somebody from the U. The had alot of value talent this year.

Sections
Shortcuts