Mario Williams as a Patriot???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Re: Mario Williams as a Patriot???

Hes a great talent but hes one player. Breaking the bank for him would be nuts even though he would be a crazy great playmaker to add that would allow our defense to rise from the dead.

Now the issue is the money. Its not the fact we don't want to spend it. Its because hes going to get a insane amount of money to go join some other team unless a playoff team like us swoohs him. Which I doubt we do as we will focus on getting a new stable of WRs and DBs. 

Pray for Dashon or some corners to slip to us. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Mario Williams as a Patriot???:
    [QUOTE]If they didn't spend it on Peppers they won't spend it on Williams
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Peppers was going to cost picks on top of the monster contract. CHI gave up picks for both Peppers and Cutler that year, and it hasn't been worth it overall. They have had no influx of young talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mario Williams as a Patriot??? : Peppers was going to cost picks on top of the monster contract. CHI gave up picks for both Peppers and Cutler that year, and it hasn't been worth it overall. They have had no influx of young talent.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Peppers was a FA in 10' when he signed with the Bears. I think you are thinking of 09' when he was tagged and there were rumors of him being traded

Actually the more that I think of it the more I think he will demand more that what Peppers got (91mil). Since he is 3 years younger then Peppers was in 10' I think Williams will be looking for a $100mil+ contract in the 6-7 year range

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Nope, probably won't be a Patriot.  Too much $ as most of you already mentioned.  I could see them go after a Cliff Avril possibly.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mario Williams as a Patriot??? : Peppers was a FA in 10' when he signed with the Bears. I think you are thinking of 09' when he was tagged and there were rumors of him being traded Actually the more that I think of it the more I think he will demand more that what Peppers got (91mil). Since he is 3 years younger then Peppers was in 10' I think Williams will be looking for a $100mil+ contract in the 6-7 year range
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Upon further review - the post has been overturned, CHI did NOT give up picks for control of the player. Dragon HAS been charged a timeout.

You may be right about how I confsed it. Did CHI really give up that many picks just for Cutler, or did they also get someone else I'm forgetting? At any rate, that's a HUUUUGE pile of money, I don't agree with giving any single player, aside from Brady, that much money. It's too crippling to the franchise.

What will Avril be looking for do you think? Same?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mario Williams as a Patriot??? : Upon further review - the post has been overturned, CHI did NOT give up picks for control of the player. Dragon HAS been charged a timeout. You may be right about how I confsed it. Did CHI really give up that many picks just for Cutler, or did they also get someone else I'm forgetting? At any rate, that's a HUUUUGE pile of money, I don't agree with giving any single player, aside from Brady, that much money. It's too crippling to the franchise. What will Avril be looking for do you think? Same?
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Arvil is an unique case because he's like Anderson. Basically a pure rusher. He was a liability in the run game and can't stand up in coverage. This is why Det only used him on passing downs and teams would run tosses or sweeps in his direction on 2nd and longs.

But, he would be a big upgrade over Anderson and provide a more consistent pass rush. I'm guessing he stays with Det but it will be a 3-4 year deal averaging 8-12mil/yr as a premier pass rusher and remain as a 2 down player

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

If you're on the money about Avril, I'd avoid him for that price. That would make him the 2nd highest paid Patriot.

I guess I'll hold out hope that Cunningham shocks most people, and proves he's a football player. I'm giving him a pass for 2011, but he HAS to show something significant this year. If given a shot to play, I'm on record as penciling in 8 sacks. What a boost that would be to this roster. Even 5 or 6 would be a great help.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from triplestix. Show triplestix's posts

In Response to Mario Williams as a Patriot???:
    [QUOTE]http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/superbowl/2012/02/09/should-the-patriots-take-a-run-at-mario-williams-or-any-top-free-agents/ I've read several articles this past week mentioning this and how it would make sense for the Pats.  I'm not sure I agree.  I can't argue with the talent level of Mario and how our defense would be dramatically upgraded with such a move, but at what cost?  22 million a year is HUGE money that could really effect the balance of this team right now.  Thoughts? 
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

First, the only way he gets paid 22 million is if the Texans tag him. Second, No team in the NFL (including the spend happy colts and Raiders) would pay him 22 a year. If he were to be signed by another team it would most likely be in the relm of 8-12 million a year. Thirdly, I don't think that the Adalius Thomas argument is a good one; as some other people have commented that the Hoodie won't make that decision again. I disagree. I'm not saying that the Pats will bring Williams to NE. But I don't think that Belichick it afraid to make a big move like that if it can help the team. I remember that during this last year there was a trade in place to bring Jared Allen from the Vikings. It fell through, but if the trade had taken place that would have been just as big if not bigger than the Adalius Thomas signing. All that to say. Don't be surprised if Belichick does make a splash.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If Williams was a "malcontent" and was on the block for real cheap, BB and Jonathan Kraft would jump.  Pay a premium?  No thanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Another interesting take on the potential pickup of Mario Williams this morning.  http://www.patsfans.com/blogs/damien/2012/02/14/should-the-patriots-trade-wes-welker/

As you can see by the title though, this one comes at a pretty steep price beyond just money.  I love Wes.  But the article does bring up some valid points in that tagging him at 10 mil a year might be too high for a team that desperately needs his level talent on the other side of the ball.  While I don't think we could replace Wes, I do think by signing a deep threat and shifting Eldelmen to slot, it would cushion the blow of his release and the offense would still fire strong.  Perhaps even stronger as Hernandez is only getting better. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Wow...a better version of Willie?
    that is saying an awful lot about Williams. Lets let him prove himself a little longer before a bold statement like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

PatsEng,

Bingo.

13. This post has been removed.