Mario Williams could end up in New England

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

Mario Williams could end up in New England

In the article below Williams says he's not worried about money because he's a former first overall pick so he has money. He's looking for the right place, system, coaches, and teammates with winning attitudes. New England is the perfect place if true. I think he could be the Defensive Player of the Year for the next five years in BB's system.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/mario-williams-says-his-contract-wont-be-all-about-the-money/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Mario Williams could end up in New England

Ok sooooo.. is BB going to give him top 2 money? LOL... wishful thinking my man...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The funny thing about drawing the conclusion that he could end up in NE is that his quote was in regards to taking less money to stay in Houston. 

From the article: "You want to [play] where you can thrive no matter where you are... I love it here."

He is talking about taking less money to stay in Houston than he could get elsewhere. I would love to see him in a Pats jersey, but I still do not think the Patriots will be willing to put the money required to bring him even if he does not take the highest offer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I love when athletes say stuff like this. You know his agent is going to get the most money possible and that's what Williams wants. What it does mean is that if say Clev offers him $18mil/yr for 6-7 years and Hou onlly offers him $16mil/yr for 6-7 years that he'll stay in Hou. But, if Hou offers $10mil/yr for 3-4 years he going to laugh.

Honestly, I have more respect for players that just come out and say they want to get paid, here's what I want to get paid, and if my team can't meet that demand and someone else would then it's a business, no hard feelings

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Good News for Pats! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I'll eat my hat if he ends up here.  I think that article has nothing to do with the Pats.  Just my opinion anyways...carry on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Mario Williams will not come here.  He will cost a lot of money and BB isn't going to devote a huge chunk of cap space to a DE even though Williams could be a good fit here.  Remember Adalius Thomas?  BB will be apprehensive about making such a move again after that debacle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Re: Mario Williams could end up in New England:
    Ok sooooo.. is BB going to give him top 2 money? LOL... wishful thinking my man...
    Posted by Getzo

BB offered 105 Million to Julius Pepers.  The right player would be worth the price to BB but he has to be the "right" player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Re: Mario Williams could end up in New England : BB offered 105 Million to Julius Pepers.  The right player would be worth the price to BB but he has to be the "right" player.
    Posted by Clay73

really? any links to prove this?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Immense talent but its just way too much to tie up in one player. If they were going to go after a big name free agent I wouldn't mind seeing Brandon Carr!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Mario Williams could end up in New England:
    In the article below Williams says he's not worried about money because he's a former first overall pick so he has money. He's looking for the right place, system, coaches, and teammates with winning attitudes. New England is the perfect place if true. I think he could be the Defensive Player of the Year for the next five years in BB's system. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/mario-williams-says-his-contract-wont-be-all-about-the-money/
    Posted by patriotzking18

Mario know that he will get a good contract by default anyway,but he said taht he is willing to take lesser money to try to help his team to win superbowl titles!!!  So, I think he is a worth of free agent to sign.  Remember BB loves defense at the same time he love to have a deep corp of LB's.  BB cant change his defense philosophy which he did it in past two or three years. Got to go back his old way!!

Patriots can afford to get him and also sign a young talent deep threat receiver!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Another interesting article if Pats bypass Mario.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

We're going to see the big-time top-dollar hiring proposals brought up again, and again, and again on this forum, and not one of them is going to happen. 

BB and the Krafts look for bargains.  You're thinking of Dan Snyder, owner of the Washington Red Skins, who will pay anything for anybody.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Mario Williams could end up in New England : Mario know that he will get a good contract by default anyway,but he said taht he is willing to take lesser money to try to help his team to win superbowl titles!!!  So, I think he is a worth of free agent to sign.  Remember BB loves defense at the same time he love to have a deep corp of LB's.  BB cant change his defense philosophy which he did it in past two or three years. Got to go back his old way!! Patriots can afford to get him and also sign a young talent deep threat receiver!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

With six min left to play in the SB and we have the ball, we don't need a deep threat, we need to pick up two first downs and run out the clock victoriously.  Why have we lost sight of this very simple set of facts.  That is how we almost lost the Baltimore AFC Championship game - because we couldn't pick up first downs to close out the game.  It is not that damn difficult.  Oh ya, we had a DOPE for an OC.  I forgot!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Mario Williams could end up in New England : With six min left to play in the SB and we have the ball, we don't need a deep threat, we need to pick up two first downs and run out the clock victoriously.  Why have we lost sight of this very simple set of facts.  That is how we almost lost the Baltimore AFC Championship game - because we couldn't pick up first downs to close out the game.  It is not that damn difficult.  Oh ya, we had a DOPE for an OC.  I forgot!!
    Posted by Clay73

Clay, you are not completely understand the effect on a deep threat. I deep threat or even a 10-20yrd sideline presence forces S's back and leaning towards the sidelines and LB's not to remain centered in the box. The overall effect is that it makes the underneath and over the middle catches easier and a larger window for Brady to throw into. For instance on the Welker miss. Brady was worried about the S over the shoulder Welker was expecting the ball to come from. With an deep threat that S could be set 5 yrds further back Brady has a larger window with little worry of the S jumping the throw and might put it over Welkers left shoulder making it an easier catch and one Welker is more use to.

Deep threats do have a positive affect on the overall O, you just have to balance out the attack and use it as another tool instead of the only tool (ala forcing the ball down field just to force it down field)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Mario Williams could end up in New England : BB offered 105 Million to Julius Pepers.  The right player would be worth the price to BB but he has to be the "right" player.
    Posted by Clay73

Still waiting for that link........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by Clay73

Williams is no Julius Peppers. But, he does have the tools.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Mario Williams could end up in New England:
    In the article below Williams says he's not worried about money because he's a former first overall pick so he has money. He's looking for the right place, system, coaches, and teammates with winning attitudes. New England is the perfect place if true. I think he could be the Defensive Player of the Year for the next five years in BB's system. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/mario-williams-says-his-contract-wont-be-all-about-the-money/
    Posted by patriotzking18

I've given up all hope BB will bring in an impact player in his prime. Let's have the Mario Williams discussion again ten years from now after he's cut from the Browns' practice squad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox3344. Show bosox3344's posts

Posted by Clay73

Not sure about that.  Peppers signed a 92 million dollars contract with bears.  Dont you think he would have taken the 105 from the pats?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

If your Bill and Kraft this idea has got to be running through your head now. They did put in an offer for Julius Peppers and it didn't go through due to him seeing the Bears at the time a better fit. 

I think in terms for Mario who has been with the Texans and has seen them not really dominate for too long and then get into this spot to struggle in the playoffs and not even be apart of it? I think the idea of him not being in Houston is already setting in and with the fact they have proven pass rushers in Barwin, and Reed coming for much cheaper with a defense that didn't miss a beat without him and a team with its back against the cap.

This would be a good move for us but so many teams are going to be taking shots at him. Basically its what is Mario in the mood for.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have heard several people on the NFL Network and on sports radio mention that they think Mario will also end up in NE.  While I am not a fan of a lot of the football news people the fact that the idea is out there and many others are talking about it is a good indication that it's very possible.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Why would BB break with tradition and address the pass rush?  He's not going to do that.

I think we will all be shocked by wht the Pats end up doing in the draft and free agency. 

Sections
Shortcuts