Mario Williams could end up in New England

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Mario Williams could end up in New England

In Response to Re: Mario Williams could end up in New England:
    Why would BB break with tradition and address the pass rush?  He's not going to do that. I think we will all be shocked by wht the Pats end up doing in the draft and free agency. 
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

What do you think he is going to end up doing that will shock us all?

BB will bring an impact player to the D this season or a couple very good players that will help the team out.  You gotta remember last year there was not a lot of time to get new players and there really were not a lot of quality D players to choose from.  I think BB took a shot at some available players who he thought would help the team in the short amount of time.  So he picked up some vets who have been around a long time so they could go right in and play.  Some worked, some didn't.

Full off season now, just barely lost the SB, I think BB will have his guns blazing this off season and will make some pretty awesome moves before week 1 starts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Well, realistically, would we be able to get him cap wise?

You guys say we have 20 million, you need to set 5 million for rookies, 5-7.5 million for Welker and then you have 7.5-10 million left.

It would be Welker + Mario and that is it.

I would much rather pick up one of the three safeties available, get a scrappy corner like Finnegan and pick up Lloyd or Wayne or SOMEBODY that can play on the outside, lol.

Plus you have to realize BB likes to keep some cap space for moves in-season. I really doubt Mario is comming here but if he does, I will be jumping for joy for weeks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: Mario Williams could end up in New England : What do you think he is going to end up doing that will shock us all? BB will bring an impact player to the D this season or a couple very good players that will help the team out.  You gotta remember last year there was not a lot of time to get new players and there really were not a lot of quality D players to choose from.  I think BB took a shot at some available players who he thought would help the team in the short amount of time.  So he picked up some vets who have been around a long time so they could go right in and play.  Some worked, some didn't. Full off season now, just barely lost the SB, I think BB will have his guns blazing this off season and will make some pretty awesome moves before week 1 starts.
    Posted by TFB12

Yeah, I think that this is going to be a big off season for the Patriots. Good draft picks and cap space to go along with the past couple of excellent drafts. They could be dominating next year. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

He is a fine player and would bring youth and ability to DE position for Pats.  Sure hope it happens because it would be a great improvement for our D and then in draft we could get a quality Safety and Cornerback, OLB and maybe a receiver!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

When you have 20 million to play with, you have money to spend. I've got to think they'll be able to work out a long term deal for Welker that won't cost them 10 million towards the cap. I would have to think if money DID get tight they could cut some guys that are under performing as well.

I'd be surprised if they went all in on Mario Williams, but he does seem like a similar player to Peppers - exceptional guy with size/but a tweener type that may be better as a 43 end. We DO need some kind of guy like this to make deficiencies we have on defense become smaller, but I just don't see it happening.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

If, again if, Andre Carter is OK, then spend elsewhere...add Nink, Anderson, and maybe Cunningham, rushing outside linebacker/DE is not the biggest priority as is adding a veteran safety and wide out.  Assuming safety and receiver are free agents and/or trades, then what's left with the draft is BB's best rated player in the draft method.  See what he picks, but assuming away the safety, reciever issue I'd like to see the lines, both offense and defense - infused with youthful strength. D-line with a collapse the pocket bull rusher to pair with Vince like Haynseworth was invisioned; then your OLB/DE get sacks a lot easier. O-line, maybe Cannon is that guy already, but like Rusty noted, a horse of a center would be good, too. Running back, I think they have to see what they've got in house; would not give up a first/second for Jones-Drew because they are not going to hand the ball to him 300 times a year. Also, I like Ridley. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ron-Burgandy. Show Ron-Burgandy's posts

Not sold on giving Avril a large contract. He is just a bit better than Anderson.
    Williams I would give the $$$ to. He could be the game changer they need on D to put them over the top.

TACKLESSACKSINTERCEPTIONSFUMBLES
    RKPLAYERTEAMSOLOASTTOTALSACKYDSLPDINTYDSLONGTDFFRECTD
    1Jared Allen, DEMIN48186622.01513114140440
    2DeMarcus Ware, LBDAL47115819.512520000210
    3Jason Babin, DEPHI3554018.010720000300
    4Jason Pierre-Paul, DENYG65218616.511260000200
    5Terrell Suggs, LBBAL50207014.09162990700
     Aldon Smith, LBSF3163714.010540000210
    7Chris Long, DESTL3163713.08620000100
    8Tamba Hali, LBKC48186612.08000000400
    9Connor Barwin, LBHOU34134711.57970000100
     Von Miller, LBDEN50146411.57740000200
     TACKLESSACKSINTERCEPTIONSFUMBLES
    RKPLAYERTEAMSOLOASTTOTALSACKYDSLPDINTYDSLONGTDFFRECTD
    11Julius Peppers, DECHI3343711.06040000320
     Chris Clemons, DESEA34175111.09050000300
     Trent Cole, DEPHI4134411.08120000100
     Antwan Barnes, LBSD3474111.06410000200
     Cliff Avril, DEDET2973611.09241441631
    16Andre Carter, DENE31215210.07010000200
     Mark Anderson, DENE18112910.07510000210
    18John Abraham, DEATL2510359.57120000410
     Robert Mathis, DEIND2914439.57210000330
     Elvis Dumervil, DEDEN3111429.56310000010

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If, again if, Andre Carter is OK, then spend elsewhere...add Nink, Anderson, and maybe Cunningham, rushing outside linebacker/DE is not the biggest priority as is adding a veteran safety and wide out.  Assuming safety and receiver are free agents and/or trades, then what's left with the draft is BB's best rated player in the draft method.  See what he picks, but assuming away the safety, reciever issue I'd like to see the lines, both offense and defense - infused with youthful strength. D-line with a collapse the pocket bull rusher to pair with Vince like Haynseworth was invisioned; then your OLB/DE get sacks a lot easier. O-line, maybe Cannon is that guy already, but like Rusty noted, a horse of a center would be good, too. Running back, I think they have to see what they've got in house; would not give up a first/second for Jones-Drew because they are not going to hand the ball to him 300 times a year. Also, I like Ridley. 
    Posted by futbal

I agree and you're right a guy that could give you what Haynesworth was supposed to would make guys on the outside look better. Question is, can they get one of those guys? It's been a long time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Right. Moss, Welker, Adalius Thomas. I've "given up hope". lol It's about market value and allocating the dollars in the formula. Please read NE Management Secrets Vol 1 and 2 before commenting on these kinds of threads. 
    Posted by RustyGriswold

We offered Peppers in the range of 10-13 mill. Were likely to spice up this deal if we throw him one as hes a better player than 2/3 guys you just mentioned (at the time when we got them). 

Mario, Goldson, Llyod are really the only guys outside of our normal bubbles that I seriously want to take stabbings at. Goldson was another guy Bill was interested in last offseason before he went back to the Niners. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

I'd love to see them sign Williams, but have the feeling he'll cost too much. But he's certainly a fit, playing either 3-4 or 4-3. I'd also try and re-sign Anderson. He showed good improvement and could be a game changer with a full offseason. I'd love to see them sign Goldson as well, he reminds me of a younger Rodney. I doubt they could afford both of them, but one wouldn't be out of the question. Brandon Lloyd would be nice, but I believe they could get a WR in the draft. The better the pass rush the better the secondary will look. I'm hoping McCourty gets back to his 2010 form after a full offseason. Arrington has played well, too. I think Moore also deserves a chance to compete for a CB spot. I think Carter is pretty much done, he's up there in age and coming off an injury. Kyle Love in the middle with Wilfork looked pretty good late in the year, so I think DE or OLB is a more pressing need. I'm fine with the RBs, so really another WR is all the offense needs (other than maybe some more depth on the line). I know people think BB won't target Mario after the AD catastrophy. But you never know. Brady doesn't have a lot of years left, and the window is wide open. They really haven't been in position to draft a top notch pass rusher, so maybe they need to go all-in before it's too late. The last time they came this close they were very active in the personnel department. But other than a deep threat WR most of their needs are on defense. Williams could be that final piece that makes this team serious contenders in those tight games. They never really replaced the big play ability (especially in big games) they lost when McGinest left. And time is running out (IMO) to groom someone from the draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

That's not what BB does. I seriously doubt this happens.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Too much money if they want to make a free agent move at WR and DB also.

Is that all they have is $20 million to spend? I thought if they went all in they could roll over what they were under last year also? Less cap space than I've seen in a couple of places but I see different numbers all over. also.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Since he's a relatively young guy, you could give him a long contract with a big signing bonus to spread the cost out and reduce the salary cap hit.  I'm not sure what BB will decide to do, but given the number of holes on the team a few choice free agent signings this year would make a huge difference. 

On defense, we have big needs at just about every position (OLB, CB, S, and DE).  On offense, we have big issues at WR, exacerbated by Welker's free agency, and maybe at RB if Ridley and/or Vereen aren't the answers.  We can't solve all of those issues in the draft, I don't think.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

Andre Carter, Mark Anderson, Kyle Love, Vince Wilfork: we don't need him enough to sign the massive contract he will demand

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

The problem with Williams is he doesn't have much of a motor or desire, i.e. the killer instinct.  He's easily blocked one-on-one by a TE and pushed past the QB.  Most of his sacks are recovery sacks where he is pushed deep by the OT or TE, the pocket finally collapses, and the QB scrambles to Williams.  The Houston defense didn't miss a beat when Mario went out and he was replaced by a second round draft choice.  The concensus here in Houston is that the Texans will let him walk as Reed gives them everything Mario gave them (and more), only at a drastically reduced cost.

JJ Watt on the other hand, what a player!  If Mario had half of JJ's drive, he would be in the conversation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

Right. Moss, Welker, Adalius Thomas. I've "given up hope". lol It's about market value and allocating the dollars in the formula. Please read NE Management Secrets Vol 1 and 2 before commenting on these kinds of threads. 
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Yeah, and that "system" has been working so well for the last seven years. Last year was an illusion. They beat Denver, a team that never should have been in the playoffs. They got extremely lucky against Baltimore. And then the real Patriots showed up and couldn't even beat a .500 team in the Superbowl. You people can buy into the "Giants are a good team" garbage if you want. But they aren't.

Face it, Bill hasn't won  anything since Weiss and Crennel left and Brady went gunslinger. Yet he refuses to reign Brady in or hire competent coordinators. Or adress areas of need in the draft choosing to throw away picks by trading down to rounds where there is little talent.

Brady continues to get smaller as the games get bigger. And the Pats continue to gag when it matters. So let's keep doing what we have been doing. Makes sense.

I know a lot of you consider the twelve and thirteen wins seasons success. But that's fool's gold. That how loser organizations like the Colts and Chargers measure success.

This team had been failing for almost a decade now. Something HAS to change. Bill's "system" is clearly not working.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Mario is a Man and I say about time we came with a killer D again and stopped spittin the bit at the finish cause we couldn't stop anybody's last drive!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If we lose next year in the playoffs or SB for the same reason, it will be time to trade Brady (Yep) and let BB walk off into the sunset when his deal expires after 2013.  I have no isssue losing games when outplayed, but there is absolutely no reason to keep making the same mistakes over and over whether it be 2006 or 2011. Good day.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Well that will solve the problem.  You can't lose in the playoffs or Super Bowl if you never get there. 

You must be longing for the Rod Rust years.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'd be shocked if you even saw one game in those years. So, where you from, Prolate? lol
    Posted by RustyGriswold

I was living in New England before you were born.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Where?
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Lived in all three of the southern New England states growing up, but mostly Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Much of my family still lives there.  

Where are you from?  

Sections
Shortcuts