Mark Harrison

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Mark Harrison

Okay, I know this guy was an undrafted rookie, but I also know that he is 6'3" 230 pounds and runs a 4.4. No doubt he is a longshot to make this team, but I do think he has a chance. He needs to get healthy first and foremost, and also get himself in peak condition going into camp. I'll be watching him closely to see if he can make plays on the outside in preseason. If he can, and if he can develop some chemistry with Brady, then he could make it as the big, outside the numbers type WR that we have been missing. Anyone else think that Harrison could be a lititle more promising than your average UDFA?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Mark Harrison

Well, the measurables are certainly there. And he's in the right spot as a UDFA, on a team that needs help at his position and without any real established veterans ahead of him. That said, it's a numbers game and he's still a longshot because the draftees will get preference, as will Edelman who knows the system (and is a PR), and Amendola is a lock.

His best chance is someone getting hurt or he makes it to the PS. Or he goes on IR and we see him next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

There  always seems to be an UDFA that makes the team. Based on this kids skill set he seems to have a shot. It will boil down to his ability to grasp the offense and then apply that skill set to what the Pat's ask of him. There looks to be a few UDFA's who may have an opportunity this year. The RB Winn out of Cincy and Sudfeld due to the TE issues seem to have a legitimate shot as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

There  always seems to be an UDFA that makes the team. Based on this kids skill set he seems to have a shot. It will boil down to his ability to grasp the offense and then apply that skill set to what the Pat's ask of him. There looks to be a few UDFA's who may have an opportunity this year. The RB Winn out of Cincy and Sudfeld due to the TE issues seem to have a legitimate shot as well.

Yeah, I could realistically see 2 or 3 UDFAs making it this year. I'm thinking Sudfeld, Vellano or Grissom, and Thomkins, Harriosn, or Ford. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I read those physical stats and assumed he was a S.

Brown, Edelman, Slater...Harrison?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I did not follow him in college, based on what I can see he was expected to be a late rounder at best even before he trashed his hotel room at the combine (which probably pushed him out of the draft altogether).

Was he an under performer in college? Does he have bad hands? Why was he the 62nd rank WR coming out of college?

Not that it means he cannot contribute, plenty of guys have pro careers that you never could have predicted based on college, I am just wondering why a 6-3, 230 lbs, speedy wide out was undrafted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

STRENGTHS

Great size, with a powerful build. Long arms. Uses his body to shield defenders from the football. Does a good job of coming back to the football. Better feet and quickness on comeback routes than you'd expect. Big-play and red-zone threat. Difficult to bring down with the ball in his hands, will run through arm tackles. Competitor. Good footwork as a blocker, extends arms, and gains proper position.

WEAKNESSES

Inconsistent with his hands, will drop some easy ones. Doesn't always extend off his frame like he should. A bit stiff in the hips, and will struggle with outbreaking routes. Will too frequently catch his targets as a blocker instead of attacking. Never has had tremendous production.

NFL COMPARISON

Marvin McNutt

BOTTOM LINE

Harrison hasn't always lived up to his measurables, and has had some ups and downs throughout his career at Rutgers. Still, his blend of size and athletic ability will result in some team taking a flier on him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Injury concern

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Well, from the things that have been posted he sounds like he has bad hands and is lazy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

He's from Rutgers and we didn't draft him??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

His biggest issue in college was that he coasted on athletic ability alone and never put the work in to do the little things to improve. If he had improved his hands and worked on running sharper routes he might have been a late day2 early day 3 draft pick.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

red shirt him, have him add 15 lbs , increase his strength and blocking ability, and make him the move TE in our offense taking over herns spot for next year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

WEAKNESSES

Inconsistent with his hands, will drop some easy ones.

Well, that's a slight concern for a wideout.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

red shirt him, have him add 15 lbs , increase his strength and blocking ability, and make him the move TE in our offense taking over herns spot for next year. 

That's not a bad idea. He is said to be a solid blocker, however, there is a huge jump from WR blocking to TE blocking and it might not be worth ruining a young talent with those triangle numbers in an attempt to move him to a new position. I would say red shirt him and have him work on his hands, maybe drop 10 lbs and gain even a bit more speed for an outside receiving threat with great size. It's really hard to be even an average blocking TE in the pro's so I'd rather attack something fixable (hands) than trying to force him into a new role.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

put him in front of a JUGS machine during a redshirt year on the PS and have him hit the weight room.  maybe if someone gets injured he could fill in assuming he improves his work ethic and hands.

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

A redshirt year would probably be ideal for this guy. I'm sure they will try to sneak in through to the practice squad unless he really lights it up in training camp and preseason, in which case he could crack the 53 man roster. Either way,  there is a lot of talent to work with there and I hope he can make the most of it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

How many guys who had a rep for having bad hands actually got better in the NFL? I remember the famous Limas Sweed (6'4" - 220 lbs secound round pick of the Steelers who simply could not catch).

As for bulking up Harrison and moving him to TE, if work ethic is one of his issues what are the chances he goes for that idea?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

How many guys who had a rep for having bad hands actually got better in the NFL? I remember the famous Limas Sweed (6'4" - 220 lbs secound round pick of the Steelers who simply could not catch).

As for bulking up Harrison and moving him to TE, if work ethic is one of his issues what are the chances he goes for that idea?

depends on the reason for the bad hands. Some really improve because they didn't have the right coach to work on proper catching technique or that they were so athletically gifted they never bothered to take the extra reps on the JUGs machine after practice (one reason maybe some of the most realiable hands in the NFL tend to be the less athletically gifted grinders). The latter being the most likely of the two. Others just have bad hands period. You can say the same for RBs with the fumbles. It boils down to some who put in the work to get better (Faulk for one) and others never do. The thing is since they were usually late round or UDFA's to begin with for that reason you never see the development only the end product from other teams. How many late round or UDFA's do you know about from the other 31 teams? But, that's why you redshirt the kid and give him a year to show he can improve. If he can't than no big deal you didn't waste a roster spot and only spent minimal money to retain him. If he does than fans on other teams will sit there and say where did this guy come from and why didn't our team get him?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Granted this is his best stuff (his "ultimate"), but the hands look OK to my untrained eye. Not seeing much in the way of route running in this package though.

Oh, and he can have #81 if he wants it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4686tLeqw0

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Granted this is his best stuff (his "ultimate"), but the hands look OK to my untrained eye. Not seeing much in the way of route running in this package though.

That's an ugly video. Look at how he catches the ball Muzz. He catches it with his body and most of those the ball hits his body first then lands in his hands. His arms are tucked in and his hands act more like a net rather than a set of suction cups on your finger tips. He had a couple of nice catches but you want a WR who will pluck a ball with atleast a 135 degree bend in the arms. These means they are attacking the ball and can out fight a CB for it. Most of the catches if the CB was paying attention would have easily been knocked away. Even when he plucks the ball he's got flat fingers. You want to catch with your fingers not the palms of your hands. This kid needs to extend those arms and learn to catch with his finger tips than bring the ball in otherwise you'll see the ball bouncing of his chest, get knocked away by defenders, or slip right through his palm as he applies pressure to bring the ball in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

That's an ugly video. Look at how he catches the ball Muzz. He catches it with his body and most of those the ball hits his body first then lands in his hands. His arms are tucked in and his hands act more like a net rather than a set of suction cups on your finger tips. He had a couple of nice catches but you want a WR who will pluck a ball with atleast a 135 degree bend in the arms. These means they are attacking the ball and can out fight a CB for it. Most of the catches if the CB was paying attention would have easily been knocked away. Even when he plucks the ball he's got flat fingers. You want to catch with your fingers not the palms of your hands. This kid needs to extend those arms and learn to catch with his finger tips than bring the ball in otherwise you'll see the ball bouncing of his chest, get knocked away by defenders, or slip right through his palm as he applies pressure to bring the ball in.

[/QUOTE]

Well, as I said my eye is untrained. A catch is a catch, but I guess not all catches are created equal. And I suppose that's why he went UDFA.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well, as I said my eye is untrained. A catch is a catch, but I guess not all catches are created equal. And I suppose that's why he went UDFA.

Between that and apparently lack of work ethic it's most likely the case. Given the triangle numbers teams usually are willing to take a shot in the late rounds on a kid with this much upside. But, the more I break down the film on his catches the more I see issues that when he gets up to the Pro level he's going to have issues overcoming his own hands. Here's some images to show you what you are looking for vs what not to do:

Notice he catches away from his body, arms extended, and notice he catches with finger tips and there is room between his palms and the ball to form a proper suction when he starts the transfer to his body

Look at the angle of the arms ready to catch away from body and hands not flat ready to catch with fingers

again nice technique away from body, good arm bend, catches with fingers not palms

now here's what not to do

arms in, flat palms and fingers, guiding into the body. This one will most likely bounce off his chest or fall through his arms then his legs

another arms in flat hands most likely bounces off his head in this shot

This is usually the result. Arms in, trying to catch with his body, and look at hands as they try to form a net for the bounce back off his chest. The results usually end up with the ball going through their arms since his elbows are locked into his side leaving a huge hole for the ball to go through

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. You can see that he likes to trap the ball against his body which does not work as well in the NFL. Defensive backs are too good at getting their own hands in between the ball and your chest.  After whatching what is his "highlight reel", I can totally see why NFL scouts were not high on him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

[QUOTE]

That's not a bad idea. He is said to be a solid blocker, however, there is a huge jump from WR blocking to TE blocking and it might not be worth ruining a young talent with those triangle numbers in an attempt to move him to a new position. I would say red shirt him and have him work on his hands, maybe drop 10 lbs and gain even a bit more speed for an outside receiving threat with great size. It's really hard to be even an average blocking TE in the pro's so I'd rather attack something fixable (hands) than trying to force him into a new role.

[/QUOTE]

True. If both Dobson and Boyce emerge with amendola signed long term, and Edelman plus others in the mix, I don't see a place for him At WR..unless one or two of the mentioned doesn't work out. Less Gronk and to a degree the unproven sudfeld , we could get more athletic at the TE position. Hern e wasn't a great blocker but he could block and was uncoverAble. Harrison is bigger, height wise and more athletic than Hern, and as a TE, there might be a shorter path for him if he is already a good blocker rather than learning how to catch as a WR. Hern caught a lot with his body too, and I remember more than a few drops when he tried to extend his arms. 

Just saying..if the kid isn't going to play due to Dobson and Boyce, maybe we retool him? Who knows. He probably won't make the roster anyway. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

[QUOTE]

depends on the reason for the bad hands. Some really improve because they didn't have the right coach to work on proper catching technique or that they were so athletically gifted they never bothered to take the extra reps on the JUGs machine after practice (one reason maybe some of the most realiable hands in the NFL tend to be the less athletically gifted grinders). The latter being the most likely of the two. Others just have bad hands period. You can say the same for RBs with the fumbles. It boils down to some who put in the work to get better (Faulk for one) and others never do. The thing is since they were usually late round or UDFA's to begin with for that reason you never see the development only the end product from other teams. How many late round or UDFA's do you know about from the other 31 teams? But, that's why you redshirt the kid and give him a year to show he can improve. If he can't than no big deal you didn't waste a roster spot and only spent minimal money to retain him. If he does than fans on other teams will sit there and say where did this guy come from and why didn't our team get him?

[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of UDFA's who make other teams. In fact most years around 60 (or an average of two per team) make NFL rosters.

There is a pretty good list of UDFA's who have made NFL teams: Antonio Gates, Kurt Warner, Jeff Saturday, heck Warren Moon was not drafted went to Canada and ended up in the Hall of Fame. More recently, Arian Foster made the Texans as an UDFA and lead the NFL in rushing.

Great stat in this article last year on as of the final cut down to 53-man rosters, there were 412 UDFAs on roster versus 277 first round picks. (http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/05/analysis_alec_lemon_zack_chiba.html)