Mark Sanchez an Eagle?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Mark Sanchez an Eagle?

Numerous reports have Sanchez soon signing on with the Eagles as a back-up QB. If this signing takes place, what does it mean?: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10667053/quarterback-mark-sanchez-joining-philadelphia-eagles 

1.) Sanchez is willing to sign on with a team to be a back-up, rather than have a chance to start;

2.) His shoulder may not be completely healed, which could explain why he's willing to sign on as a back-up;

3.) The fact that Bill O'Brien in QB starved Houston apparently had no interest in him speaks volumes, considering that O'Brien knew Sanchez very well during his days with the Patriots...and that the best QB on his current roster is Ryan Fitzpatrick;  

4.) The Raiders preferred to spend a sixth round pick, plus $14mil. on 34 year old "Mr. Pick Six", Matt Schaub...rather than sign Sanchez for much less money, and no compensation;

5.) The QB needy Browns or Bengals both passed on Sanchez...as well as the three other teams in the AFC East, the Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots...all of whom could use a dependable back-up QB...also speaks volumes, and shows just how far "The Sanchize" has fallen:  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-kelly-no-huddle-maligned-jet-kick-butt-article-1.1732684  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Mark Sanchez an Eagle?

I suppose that Sanchez's slide into oblivion isn't surprising, considering that the signature play of his career is the "Butt Fumble"...LOL!!! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

I wish him luck - He should count his blessings he is out of New York

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to NYPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wish him luck - He should count his blessings he is out of New York

[/QUOTE]

Not very far though. Your talking the fans that pelted Santa with snowballs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think Schaub is 32

Will be interesting to watch what the Texans do at QB.  They have Fitz, Yates, Keenum.  Will they draft a QB?  If they haven't looked at Sancheeze, there is no way they will trade for Mallet....so what do they do? 

Trade down and then draft a QB.

Sanchez will make a fine backup for most teams.  Will give a run for a starter on some teams but not the Eagles.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Schaub is 32

Will be interesting to watch what the Texans do at QB.  They have Fitz, Yates, Keenum.  Will they draft a QB?  If they haven't looked at Sancheeze, there is no way they will trade for Mallet....so what do they do? 

Sanchez will make a fine backup for most teams.  Will give a run for a starter on some teams but not the Eagles.

[/QUOTE]

O'Brien suppossedly like Garrapola as a developmental QB...Fitz will start most likely, Keenum the backup...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I suppose that Sanchez's slide into oblivion isn't surprising, considering that the signature play of his career is the "Butt Fumble"...LOL!!! 

[/QUOTE]

It never helped that Ryan is NOT the coach you want to play for if you want to develop as a QB. Instead of supporting his QBs he throws them under the bus to cover his own butt. It would be interesting to see how him and Vick would get along. I'm not a Vick fan but he's been around to long to let Ryan get away with scapegoating him to save his own job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Schaub is 32

[/QUOTE]

O'Brien suppossedly like Garrapola as a developmental QB...Fitz will start most likely, Keenum the backup...

[/QUOTE]

O'Brien and the Texans will draft Blake Bortles as their QB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

It certainly sounds that way although I think it's crazy.  I think Bridgewater is head and shoulders above the rest of the QB class (although he has issues as well).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Schaub is 32

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You really think so? Would you? I don't think I would...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It certainly sounds that way although I think it's crazy.  I think Bridgewater is head and shoulders above the rest of the QB class (although he has issues as well).

[/QUOTE]

Why do you feel that way? I'm really down on Bridgewater. Thought he was overrated in college. I don't like his mechanics...and I don't like the fact that he played in a rather weak conference. Him flaming out on his pro-day also bothers me. Bortles appears to have  more potential. But, I guess time will tell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Schaub is 32

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kid can sling it. I know their are questions about him, but you can't teach that arm. O'Brien might be the one who can get the most out of him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Why do you feel that way? I'm really down on Bridgewater. Thought he was overrated in college. I don't like his mechanics...and I don't like the fact that he played in a rather weak conference. Him flaming out on his pro-day also bothers me. Bortles appears to have  more potential. But, I guess time will tell.

It's strange to me that you mention mechanics when making an argument for Bortles over Bridgewater.  Bortles has some of the worst mechanics I have ever seen for a guy that could go number one.  Same thing for the conference as UCF and Louisville are both in the Big East.

I think at the end of the day a guy's ability to play QB in the NFL can basically be summed up in one scenario: 3rd and long.  It's the down and distance where defenses have the biggest advantage and an area where if your QB cannot execute he will ultimately fail.  He needs to be able to understand the defense and make quick calculated decisions in the face of an NFL pass rush.

In my opinion the ability to succeed in this scenario requires 3 basic skills: pre-snap awareness, pocket presence and arm strength.  To me Bortles represents exactly what is wrong with the QB evaluation process.  His rise up the draft ranks has been almost entirely based on workouts that cannot possibly test the first two elements and completely overvalue the third element.  Every backup QB in the NFL could succeed in the kind of workouts you see at a pro day (no pass rush and scripted routes).  Bortles might have more raw arm talent than Bridgewater, but  it doesn't mean anything if your mechanics go to hell or you can't keep your eyes down field and read a defense in the face of an NFL pass rush.  Bridgewater plays in a reasonably sophisticated offense, gets 2 or 3 plays to choose from, makes all the pre-snap reads, sees the entire field and has shown an ability to stay calm in the face of pressure in the pocket.  His only "problem" is his arm strength which (despite what some people say) does matter (in obvious passing situations windows are small and you need to be able to drive the ball into tight windows).  Frankly he reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan pre-draft.  A guy who carried a not great team, was lauded for his football intelligence and command of the offense, but didn't wow you with his arm talent.  Bortles could be a great QB, but it depends on projecting something he hasn't shown consistently on tape which is always a risky venture, but even more so with the QB position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's strange to me that you mention mechanics when making an argument for Bortles over Bridgewater.  Bortles has some of the worst mechanics I have ever seen for a guy that could go number one.  Same thing for the conference as UCF and Louisville are both in the Big East.

RESPONSE: Not trying to get antagonistic with you...just wondering why you're sold on Bridgewater. I've seen both of them throw, and play. Bridgewater's mechanics appear to be worse. I hate his release. When the two faced each other head to head, Bortel's team won...though it was a close game, that Bortels had to come from behind and win. Frankly, I'm not too thrilled about any of the QBs in this draft, enough to make them top 10 picks. But, I see Bortels as the best of the bunch.

I think at the end of the day a guy's ability to play QB in the NFL can basically be summed up in one scenario: 3rd and long.  It's the down and distance where defenses have the biggest advantage and an area where if your QB cannot execute he will ultimately fail.  He needs to be able to understand the defense and make quick calculated decisions in the face of an NFL pass rush.

RESPONSE: Agreed...along with avoiding turnovers.

In my opinion the ability to succeed in this scenario requires 3 basic skills: pre-snap awareness, pocket presence and arm strength.  To me Bortles represents exactly what is wrong with the QB evaluation process.  His rise up the draft ranks has been almost entirely based on workouts that cannot possibly test the first two elements and completely overvalue the third element.  Every backup QB in the NFL could succeed in the kind of workouts you see at a pro day (no pass rush and scripted routes).  Bortles might have more raw arm talent than Bridgewater, but  it doesn't mean anything if your mechanics go to hell or you can't keep your eyes down field and read a defense in the face of an NFL pass rush.

RESPONSE: Bortel's strikes me as a guy with Ben Rethlisberger type talent.

Bridgewater plays in a reasonably sophisticated offense, gets 2 or 3 plays to choose from, makes all the pre-snap reads, sees the entire field and has shown an ability to stay calm in the face of pressure in the pocket.  His only "problem" is his arm strength which (despite what some people say) does matter (in obvious passing situations windows are small and you need to be able to drive the ball into tight windows).  Frankly he reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan pre-draft.

RESPONSE: He's not as big as Ryan...he's 6'2" and weighs 215.

A guy who carried a not great team, was lauded for his football intelligence and command of the offense, but didn't wow you with his arm talent.  Bortles could be a great QB, but it depends on projecting something he hasn't shown consistently on tape which is always a risky venture, but even more so with the QB position.

RESPONSE: Time will tell on these guys. I must admit that I was really concerned by Bridgewater's poor pro-day performance...and yes, I heard Mike Mayock say that the guy who had the best pro-day performance he had ever seen was JaMarcus Russell. But...an experienced college QB like Bridgewater performing that way under pressure bothers me. Who knows...maybe he has some kind of a minor injury which is effecting his play?  

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I laugh at Sanchez, I enjoyed watching him choke and make mistakes.  But you know what?  He is better and has more experience then 10-12 of the NFL teams starting QB's right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Sanchez makes  too many mental mistakes with an average arm  .His arm was never ever strong enuf for the meadowlands or metlife His competition at Philly  is another weak armed USC Qb. I don't think it matters where he goes, he isn't going to make a difference. I liked our former Qb hoyer at cleveland a lot more, and Bb let him go to keep mallet, makes me think

I heard OB say he was definitely taking a Qb,  but don't know when. If the arm isn't strong enuf, all you have is fools gold. Botrebles is the only one with a gun, but is unknown. Johnny football? I was surprised he was that slow, and bridge water is not big with an average arm. I wouldn't draft any of them

are there any good Qbs in next years draft?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

My wife sent me this one: 

http://www.theonion.com/articles/eagles-add-veteran-fuckup,35612/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default

(I think I discovered what TCal does in real life . . .)

Sections
Shortcuts